Urban Meyer is a complete scumbag.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

…..

Legend
Saying that domestic violence is a matter between the dude, his wife, their family, and the law is such an outdated response that I don't have words to express my disbelief that you said that. I respect you as a poster, Dog, but domestic violence should not be brushed aside like that.

I'm not brushing brushing it aside at all. It is a very serious matter of moral and legal implications for the families involved. Its also an extremely private matter for those families. Up until the point where she went public of course. So lives are changing. Why should Urban Meyer get the scumbag label? I noticed you never mentioned Mr Smith, why isnt he the pre judged scumbag on your hit list? He's on record saying he never once hit his wife, and also on record as saying Meyer assured him he would be fired if he DID hit her. That tells me maybe Meyer never got the full story??

And just what do you mean its an outdated response to say this is between the parties involved and the law? THATS EXACTLY WHAT IS HAPPENING. That's why it took so long to become public..... because its legal and PRIVATE and hurtful and extremely serious. Who else should be involved here....YOU? The media? Who exactly should be involved? I'm not involved. I'm not gonna sit here and cast stones because Its not for us to decide the facts. I'm not that way. I'm more concerned about the damage done to a young family and a young lady. I don't like Meyer at all and Im not saying none of this violence isnt true. Im just seeing a meathead on the verge of trouble and taking his boss down with him.

Urban Meyer probably could have said a zillion things to keep the public wave that you're riding at bay...but he did not do that. He handled a very serious and private matter between other people very poorly. From my view point, it was as if Meyer didn't want to discuss private legal matters of other people with the media and I dont blame him. Especially at a conference media day where the topic should have been football and not scandal.

This from Sports Illustrated
SI.com said:
Look: Urban Meyer did not wake up one day and say, “Gee, if it helps our football team, I’m O.K. with domestic violence.” This is not that simple. He just continually falls back on his unwavering belief in the righteousness of Urban Meyer. His recruits are good people because they are his. His coaches have the right values because they work for him. He is a lot like the thousands at Ohio State who revere him: He believes what he wants to believe about his program, because it’s easier that way. (And there are thousands of fans like that at every major school.)

That attitude is what leads a coach to believe his assistant, instead of his assistant’s accuser.

That attitude leads a coach to give somebody a “second chance,” because what could help an abusive person more than working with the great Urban Meyer?

That attitude leads a coach to go on the offensive instead of undergoing self-examination. The honorable and decent thing for Meyer to do last week would be to say, “I am sickened by these stories, and while I was aware of accusations in the past, I did not fully appreciate their severity. That is entirely my fault. My heart goes out to Courtney Smith. I am questioning every way I handled this, from start to finish. I understand that other people will—and should—question me, too.”

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Still not sure what to think. Don't know all the facts.

It definitely is questionable - Meyer's Florida players, this situation, etc.

But I'm waiting until the investigation is carried out before jumping to any conclusions, save for my thought that Urban might be in trouble here.

I keep coming back to this one thing though: it makes no sense. IF Urban really is a "scumbag" - well, most people like that tend to be self centered. Even if he didn't care that Courtney Smith was being abused - which I really doubt - in 2015 he had to know that protecting this lowly position coach that probably had almost nothing to do with Ohio State being a great football team could cost him his job. Why would he do that then? In almost every other scandal/cover up, the coach or University did it to protect and/or gain a competitive advantage - that doesn't apply here with a position coach.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
but domestic violence should not be brushed aside like that.

When lives are in danger you have to act, it's that simple. At the very minimum Meyer should have suspended Smith pending an investigation and contacted the authorities. Notifying your superiors is not a proper response anymore, you must act!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When lives are in danger you have to act, it's that simple. At the very minimum Meyer should have suspended Smith pending an investigation and contacted the authorities. Notifying your superiors is not a proper response anymore, you must act!

This is very easy to say now.

But I'm sure Urban was hearing Smith's side and I'm sure he was lying to Urban. Suspending him is unlikely to happen without Meyer having to tell people why, and if it came out that he was actually innocent, it could have done his career irreparable harm.

In hindsight, that's nothing to the abuse that Courtney Smith dealt with - obviously.

I'm merely pointing out why IMO you cannot rely on other people in a situation like this - because they don't really know what's going on. The investigation will uncover whether Urban should have acted or not.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

I'm merely pointing out why IMO you cannot rely on other people in a situation like this - because they don't really know what's going on. The investigation will uncover whether Urban should have acted or not.

That why I feel the right thing to do was to put Zach Smith on administrative leave (Paid) pending the investigation...I have little doubt that Zach Smith lied, however, in regards to this type of ordeal, you need to get with your superiors and put the person on leave and then await the outcome.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock

But I'm waiting until the investigation is carried out before jumping to any conclusions, save for my thought that Urban might be in trouble here.

I keep coming back to this one thing though: it makes no sense. IF Urban really is a "scumbag" - well, most people like that tend to be self centered. Even if he didn't care that Courtney Smith was being abused - which I really doubt - in 2015 he had to know that protecting this lowly position coach that probably had almost nothing to do with Ohio State being a great football team could cost him his job. Why would he do that then? In almost every other scandal/cover up, the coach or University did it to protect and/or gain a competitive advantage - that doesn't apply here with a position coach.

The asst is the grandson of Earl Bruce, Meyer’s mentor

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Heard Tony Barnhart today ....

Said the longer the investigation goes, the less likely Meyer is fired.

Me - not good, my personal opinion is that Meyer does not have control of his program and didn’t at Florida, recruiting a bunch of outlaws.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That why I feel the right thing to do was to put Zach Smith on administrative leave (Paid) pending the investigation...I have little doubt that Zach Smith lied, however, in regards to this type of ordeal, you need to get with your superiors and put the person on leave and then await the outcome.

I haven't fully looked into it yet, but I heard that Gene Smith was aware?

If so that may have fulfilled Urban's obligation.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The asst is the grandson of Earl Bruce, Meyer’s mentor

Ehh...that makes 2009 make sense IMO. Do the old coach a solid.

But the 2015 incident - and Urban knowing the full extent of it - Urban covering for that is a $7 million decision. Makes zero sense for Urban to do that.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Ehh...that makes 2009 make sense IMO. Do the old coach a solid.

But the 2015 incident - and Urban knowing the full extent of it - Urban covering for that is a $7 million decision. Makes zero sense for Urban to do that.

Hey, it's a plausible reason why.

You'll have to ask UM if it's sensible.

He's weaseling his ass out of it as we speak...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Meyer won’t be found guilty of anything punishable. He makes too much money for the University. Money rules.

At PSU the board was more than happy to to go along with blaming Paterno. They knew it was past time for him to retire, and it distracted from the fact that the entire board knew about Sanduskey also.

But the OSU board has nothing to gain by dismissing Meyer.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

He could have and should have done more than what he claims he did.

There is something fishy here, this feels, to me, as if things are being covered up.

If so that may have fulfilled Urban's obligation.

Perhaps contractually but that's not enough. As @den-the-coach points out this calls for an investigation.

At PSU the board was more than happy to to go along with blaming Paterno. They knew it was past time for him to retire, and it distracted from the fact that the entire board knew about Sanduskey also.

Paterno is as bad as Sandusky IMO. What a pair of shitbags.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
@LesBaker spoken like a true Ohio State fan. Your hate clouds your judgement. It kind of surprises me coming from you. Funny too considering who your coach is. Hypocrisy is alive and well in the state of Ohio

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Why couldn't it just be loyalty to Smith? And Smith is a good WR coach. He may be a good recruiter too. I think , if not for Meyer's time at Florida, this would be a minor issue, easily excused aside.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
@LesBaker spoken like a true Ohio State fan. Your hate clouds your judgement. It kind of surprises me coming from you. Funny too considering who your coach is. Hypocrisy is alive and well in the state of Ohio

I live in Florida, I'm from Ohio but have never been an OSU fan and hardly follow any college sports, almost none.

So I'm not sure why you are saying what you are saying. No hate is involved so my judgement isn't clouded one bit.

Why couldn't it just be loyalty to Smith? And Smith is a good WR coach. He may be a good recruiter too. I think , if not for Meyer's time at Florida, this would be a minor issue, easily excused aside.

I'm really confused now. Are you saying that UM knowing that a hand picked assistant was beating his wife and kept him on staff is OK with you?

I don't understand, because this isn't a minor issue. It isn't a gigantic issue like PSU was, but it isn't minor. At least not IMO.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

That's probably what it is. And it's not an apples for apples because Urban has enough money to comfortably retire, whereas I do not, so I can't fully understand the situation.

But I would never stick my neck and job on the line for someone who is easily replaceable in my profession - I refuse to believe that Smith has been more than a minor reason for the success of the program(s) - but I suppose I can't know that for sure either.

Stupid that people here held a rally. If this ends up being what it looked like, I will happily see Urban out of here.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Meyer won’t be found guilty of anything punishable. He makes too much money for the University. Money rules.

But the OSU board has nothing to gain by dismissing Meyer.

And this is why all NCAA sports just need to die.

Most corrupt and ridiculous organization on the planet. The most disturbing thing is that in just the past 15 years or so we've seen every crime on the spectrum - so that probably means there's a ton that we don't know about that happened prior to that time.

I hate it when people say they like NCAA basketball or football better than pro. So corrupt I can barely stand it.

I am still waiting to pass judgment on Urban. He had a bad situation with the environment at Florida, but that really hasn't followed him to Ohio State. There have been a few incidents but probably about the same as any other program. Nothing extraordinary until now, and this situation still doesn't make sense to me.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
And this is why all NCAA sports just need to die.

Most corrupt and ridiculous organization on the planet. The most disturbing thing is that in just the past 15 years or so we've seen every crime on the spectrum - so that probably means there's a ton that we don't know about that happened prior to that time.

I hate it when people say they like NCAA basketball or football better than pro. So corrupt I can barely stand it.

I am still waiting to pass judgment on Urban. He had a bad situation with the environment at Florida, but that really hasn't followed him to Ohio State. There have been a few incidents but probably about the same as any other program. Nothing extraordinary until now, and this situation still doesn't make sense to me.

It is horribly corrupt, as bad as the Olympics and World Cup. And that's saying a lot. I have no idea how it got that way but it's been this way for so long it will never get fixed.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I live in Florida, I'm from Ohio but have never been an OSU fan and hardly follow any college sports, almost none.

So I'm not sure why you are saying what you are saying. No hate is involved so my judgement isn't clouded one bit.

I'm really confused now. Are you saying that UM knowing that a hand picked assistant was beating his wife and kept him on staff is OK with you?

I don't understand, because this isn't a minor issue. It isn't a gigantic issue like PSU was, but it isn't minor. At least not IMO.

It isn’t as big as Ohio State ignoring complaints from students for many years about their esteemed doctor doing what he did. Someone dropped the ball on that one repeatedly. At least at PSU the crimes were reported, and investigated by state and local police plus Children and youth. Thing is you can’t prosecute without a witness or victim. It wasn’t until years later that a victim agreed to press charges. McQuery was too scared to come forward like Paterno said he should. So what was Patrno supposed to do about it, especially when PSU attorneys told him he can’t do anything legally. They couldn’t even revoke Sanduskey’s severance agreement that granted Sandusky access to campus. Yet Ohio State brushed years of complaints under the rug for their esteemed colleague. And Sanduskey wasn’t raping college students or kids he met on campus. It was through his charity the Second Mile. Most of his perversion occurred at his home. Paterno wanted him gone in the 90’s . Yet Ohio State students complained about the Dr for years with no recourse.
So Meyer knowing about his coach supposedly beating his wife, suddenly seems minor to me. Especially since we don’t know the truth about it. I didnt want him coaching at PSU but I won’t jump on the witch burning bandwagon until I know something for real. Now I don’t believe Meyer to be honest, but what do I know? Maybe Meyer was trying to help the guy or maybe he just didn’t care. But it seems odd that he didn’t dismiss the coach as soon as he heard he was doing it. Could he legally fire him on those grounds? I don’t know. I used to work with young people. I tried to help them repeatedly before giving up. Some I never quit on, even though I probably should have. Is this a similar case?

Why I figured you were an OSU fan was because your uninformed opinion of the Sandusky case is just how most OSU fans sound. I was far from a Paterno fan. But I never believed that a guy who was adored by so many that new him and nearly every one of his players, who was so charitable in the community was the supporting his former coach in sexually abusing children.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It isn’t as big as Ohio State ignoring complaints from students for many years about their esteemed doctor doing what he did. Someone dropped the ball on that one repeatedly. At least at PSU the crimes were reported, and investigated by state and local police plus Children and youth. Thing is you can’t prosecute without a witness or victim. It wasn’t until years later that a victim agreed to press charges. McQuery was too scared to come forward like Paterno said he should. So what was Patrno supposed to do about it, especially when PSU attorneys told him he can’t do anything legally. They couldn’t even revoke Sanduskey’s severance agreement that granted Sandusky access to campus. Yet Ohio State brushed years of complaints under the rug for their esteemed colleague. And Sanduskey wasn’t raping college students or kids he met on campus. It was through his charity the Second Mile. Most of his perversion occurred at his home. Paterno wanted him gone in the 90’s . Yet Ohio State students complained about the Dr for years with no recourse.
So Meyer knowing about his coach supposedly beating his wife, suddenly seems minor to me. Especially since we don’t know the truth about it. I didnt want him coaching at PSU but I won’t jump on the witch burning bandwagon until I know something for real. Now I don’t believe Meyer to be honest, but what do I know? Maybe Meyer was trying to help the guy or maybe he just didn’t care. But it seems odd that he didn’t dismiss the coach as soon as he heard he was doing it. Could he legally fire him on those grounds? I don’t know. I used to work with young people. I tried to help them repeatedly before giving up. Some I never quit on, even though I probably should have. Is this a similar case?

Why I figured you were an OSU fan was because your uninformed opinion of the Sandusky case is just how most OSU fans sound. I was far from a Paterno fan. But I never believed that a guy who was adored by so many that new him and nearly every one of his players, who was so charitable in the community was the supporting his former coach in sexually abusing children.

Agree on Meyer.

But I hope you're not saying that a doctor that fondled grown men is as bad as what Sandusky did..