UPDATE: Rams claim Baker Mayfield

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Well, you tell me. Is he starting over Stafford. Is he alright being a backup when he just requested a release because he did t want to be a backup. Is he actually better than wolford? He's regressed over the past 3 years but has the same attitude. This is the guy who couldn't make obj work, yet the rams did. He's a bust, people. Move on.

Starting over Stafford ? No
#2 QB in L.A. working under McVay is far better than a #3 QB in Carolina.
Yes, I believe he'll be a big improvement over Wolford/Perkins, especially once our OL is healthy next year.
His former team-mates don't appear to have a problem with his 'attitude'.
Mayfield is only 1 1/2 years removed from an 11 - 5 record in Cleveland, ... a bit early to declare him a bust imo.
jmo.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Rams were only team to put in a waiver claim for Baker Mayfield​

Only one team wanted Baker Mayfield.

The Rams were the only team that put in a waiver claim for Mayfield, according to Field Yates of ESPN.

Under the NFL waiver system, when the Panthers put Mayfield on waivers, all 31 other teams had an opportunity to put in a claim for him, and the team with the worst record that put in a claim would get him. The Rams were third in the waiver order, but that didn’t matter because no other team wanted him anyway.

Although Mayfield is a big name and a former No. 1 overall pick, the rest of the league figured his poor play this season, combined with the fact that the season is almost over, meant he was unlikely to contribute anything this season.

Still, that only one team put in a claim for Mayfield shows that no other team even thought it was worth bringing him in for the rest of the year to get an early evaluation and consider signing him in free agency next year. That doesn’t bode well for Mayfield’s hopes of generating much interest when he hits free agency in March.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Only one team wanted Baker Mayfield.
Still, that only one team put in a claim for Mayfield shows that no other team even thought it was worth bringing him in for the rest of the year to get an early evaluation and consider signing him in free agency next year.

*Only one team wanted Baker Mayfield under his existing contract.
If he would have cleared waivers unclaimed, he would have been a free agent, and the signing team would not inherit the old contract.

If no team would have offered Baker even a minimum contract, then the author's conclusion would be correct. But we never reached that point and the author seems to be doing a little bit of a reach to crap on Baker.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
*Only one team wanted Baker Mayfield under his existing contract.
If he would have cleared waivers unclaimed, he would have been a free agent, and the signing team would not inherit the old contract.

If no team would have offered Baker even a minimum contract, then the author's conclusion would be correct. But we never reached that point and the author seems to be doing a little bit of a reach to crap on Baker.
I think the 49’ers knew the Rams were putting in a claim… and by not putting in a claim “demonstrates confidence in Purdy” which is their best shot at making things work with him.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Here's my prediction: less than 225 yards per game. More turnovers than tds. Creative excuses from baker fams. Gone next year.

That was almost Stafford this year behind this offensive line.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
1670420292383.png

Tano

Legend
(although, to be fair to Perkins, he could be an NFL caliber running back)
I would still like to see Perkins in as a part QB part running back and have him in the game with Baker on some plays

And have Tutu in the game as well going deep - you never know

Tano

Legend
Maybe he shines under McV. Could happen. We’ve seen it before here. Goff looked lost at the end of 2016.
Anyone would have looked lost in Scott Boras offensive scheme lol

Gurley said it best - middle school offense

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Anyone would have looked lost in Scott Boras offensive scheme lol

Gurley said it best - middle school offense
Well, I didn't realize Scott Boras was now running offenses as he certainly has been a pain in the ass for years as an agent.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Here's my prediction: less than 225 yards per game. More turnovers than tds. Creative excuses from baker fams. Gone next year.
Cool, then we get a comp pick from that outcome. Why are you dissapointed again? Bc we might continue losing?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh, the 3rd string qb on a shitty team. Why didn't you say so in the first place. Of course we should sign him. My bad. How about we learn from Carolinas Mistake.
Yeah, I'm going to take the advice of Sean McVay over the advice of the shitty franchise that hasn't had a winning season in five years. But you do you.

fearsomefour

Legend
I'd waive Wolford after the Raiders game & turn Perkins into our multi-use RB #4 who can also short pass on occasion. jmo.
Could do that certainly.
Id probably move on from both and try to find a late round guy to develop.
All that depends too....would Mayfield resign at all to be a backup....is that a one year deal or a three year deal?

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Starting over Stafford ? No
#2 QB in L.A. working under McVay is far better than a #3 QB in Carolina.
Yes, I believe he'll be a big improvement over Wolford/Perkins, especially once our OL is healthy next year.
His former team-mates don't appear to have a problem with his 'attitude'.
Mayfield is only 1 1/2 years removed from an 11 - 5 record in Cleveland, ... a bit early to declare him a bust imo.
jmo.
Anybody else old enough to remember not thinking that Jim Plunkett could win a SB in Oakland after the depths to which he fell in NE and SF?

Not to say that is Baker's destiny or that it's even a likely outcome but there have been situations where talented guys finally find the right fit and work. See Carson Palmer in AZ as well.