UPDATE: Rams claim Baker Mayfield

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
I have simple goals this year..... Just get some reps in, and trash the Seabags and drop them from the post season....

Make my day. ;)

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
We know Baker isn't a starter? Dude put up 26 TDs to 8 Ints in 2020 and led the Browns to the playoffs (including a victory in the playoffs). He also had an outstanding rookie season. I don't think it is remotely clear that Baker can't be a starter. And I'd much, much prefer watching him to watching Perkins play like a HB masquerading as a QB.

And I hope Baker is the backup here next year.
That was with one of the best running games and olines in the league. He has regressed every year. He couldn't beat out darnold. He's a bust 57% completion this year. Please don't make me dig up qbs with worse numbers. I don't have the stomach for it now. No thank you

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That was with one of the best running games and olines in the league.
You say that as if that's a legitimate rebuttal. Yes, most QBs rise and fall with the situation you put them in. He still proved himself capable of being an above average starter.
He has regressed every year.
No, he hasn't. He has been up and down throughout his career.
He couldn't beat out darnold.
Except he did beat him out for the job. He ended up getting benched this year, but I don't hold it against him. Carolina is a shit situation and a shit team.
He's a bust 57% completion this year. Please don't make me dig up qbs with worse numbers. I don't have the stomach for it now. No thank you
I don't care about his numbers this year. Carolina is such a shit situation that their HC got fired midway through the year. We have Sean McVay. And Sean McVay just said "yes please" to Baker Mayfield. I'm with Coach.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
This may reasonably sit poorly for some and maybe me, depending of circumstances, Mayfield may be our #1 next year.

Just saying.

May as well get on board.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
You say that as if that's a legitimate rebuttal. Yes, most QBs rise and fall with the situation you put them in. He still proved himself capable of being an above average starter.

No, he hasn't. He has been up and down throughout his career.

Except he did beat him out for the job. He ended up getting benched this year, but I don't hold it against him. Carolina is a shit situation and a shit team.

I don't care about his numbers this year. Carolina is such a shit situation that their HC got fired midway through the year. We have Sean McVay. And Sean McVay just said "yes please" to Baker Mayfield. I'm with Coach.
An above average starter, really?? When, exactly. He's on his 3rd team in 3 years. Passed over for brissett and bust, darnold, then passed waivers. In what football universe is that considered a starter in the NFL, let alone an above average starter.

Oh, his best year was 62% comp. NO TEAM wants him, waivers, yet hes above average starter? Man, I'll have what your smoking, please

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Remind me…did Jared Goff’s performance improve when he got under McVay’s wing?

Oh…and did Matthew Stafford post a career best full season passer rating (not to mention a heck of a lot more wins) in his first year here?

Just sayin’

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
An above average starter, really?? When, exactly. He's on his 3rd team in 3 years. Passed over for brissett and bust, darnold, then passed waivers. In what football universe is that considered a starter in the NFL, let alone an above average starter.

Oh, his best year was 62% comp. NO TEAM wants him, waivers, yet hes above average starter? Man, I'll have what your smoking, please
When? 2020. Led the Browns to an 11-5 record, a playoff win over the Steelers, and posted 26 TDs to 8 Ints. He also wasn't passed over for Brissett. He was passed over for Deshaun Watson.

Also, I didn't say he's currently an above average starter. I said he has proven himself CAPABLE of being an above average starter. There's no need to misrepresent my point.

I'm with McVay on this. Love this move.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This may reasonably sit poorly for some and maybe me, depending of circumstances, Mayfield may be our #1 next year.

Just saying.

May as well get on board.
That was something I anticipated before this move. I hope Stafford is able and wants to return. I hope he keep Baker and develop him behind Matt. But if Stafford does go, I think he's worth a shot as a bridge QB, depending on how things go between now and the end of the year.

fearsomefour

Legend
cookus and baker for next yrs. backups. Go rams
Baker would certainly be a major upgrade in terms of a backup.
Cookus is older than Wolford.
I would keep one of the two we have now as the third or draft/sign a guy to try and develop.

fearsomefour

Legend
When? 2020. Led the Browns to an 11-5 record, a playoff win over the Steelers, and posted 26 TDs to 8 Ints. He also wasn't passed over for Brissett. He was passed over for Deshaun Watson.

Also, I didn't say he's currently an above average starter. I said he has proven himself CAPABLE of being an above average starter. There's no need to misrepresent my point.

Its a no risk move.
Mayfield, for all of his faults, has first round talent.
You don't often get to pick up first round guys without having to give something up.
Im surprised the Texans didn't take a flier on him.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg

Your right. He's not currently an above average starter. So I guess we're hoping he can beat out stafford next year or win a meaningless game or 2 this year. What is the best scenario you see for this signing

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Your right. He's not currently an above average starter. So I guess we're hoping he can beat out stafford next year or win a meaningless game or 2 this year. What is the best scenario you see for this signing
I've made it very clear what I want. I hope he's our backup to Stafford next year and a guy McVay gets to develop as a reclamation project.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
That was something I anticipated before this move. I hope Stafford is able and wants to return. I hope he keep Baker and develop him behind Matt. But if Stafford does go, I think he's worth a shot as a bridge QB, depending on how things go between now and the end of the year.

So is he an above average starter or a bridge qb? I don't think he's either. He's hasn't even proven to be a capable backup in carolina at 57% comp and more ungodly stats that make me too sick to post here knowing he may be starting Thursday.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I've made it very clear what I want. I hope he's our backup to Stafford next year and a guy McVay gets to develop as a reclamation project.
I didn't see where you see him as Matt's backup, so my bad. I can stomach that as long as he doesn't make that a distraction, and that's asking alot from baker.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After watching Wolford and Perkins stink it up , Mayfield might make the last couple games watchable.
He plays with a chip on his shoulder . If nothing else , he’ll give 100% trying to get paid by someone next year. Nothing to lose by the Rams.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Baker would certainly be a major upgrade in terms of a backup.
Cookus is older than Wolford.
I would keep one of the two we have now as the third or draft/sign a guy to try and develop.

I'd waive Wolford after the Raiders game & turn Perkins into our multi-use RB #4 who can also short pass on occasion. jmo.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
There is a reason this guy went #1 overall. Strong arm + solid mobility.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7JxgKn5wsg

I was gearing up to post this same reel.

I know its of his best work but still, this is so worth the four, maybe five game audition to see where we go from here.

Wolfords last pass many wondered who he was passing to. I thought it was his best Hail Mary.

We are in a world of hurt for a number 2. And Perkins is no different.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So is he an above average starter or a bridge qb? I don't think he's either. He's hasn't even proven to be a capable backup in carolina at 57% comp and more ungodly stats that make me too sick to post here knowing he may be starting Thursday.
You keep talking about Carolina. I happen to think McVay is a far better coach than anything they have in Carolina.
I didn't see where you see him as Matt's backup, so my bad. I can stomach that as long as he doesn't make that a distraction, and that's asking alot from baker.
Baker wasn't a problem in Carolina. By all accounts, he was a good, supportive teammate and accepted the backup role with grace.