UPDATE: Rams claim Baker Mayfield

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
I'm intrigued by this acquisition. If Stafford retires, and McVay turns Mayfield into a QB that takes us to the playoffs, it changes the narrative around McVay. The question remains. If Goff "didn't have it" and Stafford did, what makes us think that Baker is the guy?
That’s a fair question - certainly one to play out over the remainder of this year.

Oyster

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
#1 Stafford
#2. Mayfield
#3. Developmental Draft Pick

Sounds like a decent plan!

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
#1 Stafford
#2. Mayfield
#3. Developmental Draft Pick

Sounds like a decent plan!
This all depends on if Mayfield will accept a backup QB salary. I think there's a good chance he will because I don't see a lot of teams willing to throw starter money at him.
But one never knows...

~ArkyRamsFan~

Oyster

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This all depends on if Mayfield will accept a backup QB salary. I think there's a good chance he will because I don't see a lot of teams willing to throw starter money at him.
But one never knows...

~ArkyRamsFan~

The fact that we're the only team to put in a waiver claim might help him decide. That and working with McVay.:sunglasses:

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
That was almost Stafford this year behind this offensive line.
Touche. However, given each players history, I'm guessing bakers numbers would be worse in this offense this year.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
The fact that we're the only team to put in a waiver claim might help him decide. That and working with McVay.:sunglasses:
And the fact that Stafford is old and coming off additional injuries/concussions - one hit puts him back in as the starter for a 2023 team with SB mindset.

Having said that, I prefer he get a good offer elsewhere and we get a comp pick in return.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Touche. However, given each players history, I'm guessing bakers numbers would be worse in this offense this year.

Could be. He is a bit more mobile and younger than Stafford so who knows. It's a win-win situation.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's my prediction: less than 225 yards per game. More turnovers than tds. Creative excuses from baker fams. Gone next year.
Wolford career 1 TD 5 ints 207 ypg 60% completion and a fumble. Your prediction for Baker is at least on par if not a very slight upgrade.

Im not sure anybody is expecting greatness from Baker but with what we’ve seen from Wolford and Perkins most of us are willing to see what Baker can do.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Pros

Previous starting Experience

Chance to revitalize career

Chance to start 4 of 5 remaining games

Possible comp pick if he leaves and signs somewhere else

Arguably cheap at $1.3 mil

Cons

Bad starting record

Alleged locker room leadership skills

Talent questionable

Arguably waste of time if he doesn't stay as a backup next year.
I agree with everything except a waist of time. I mean come on. Isn't that what the rest of the season would be without a real QB. Mayfield was pretty good then got hurt and played hurt. looked bad. acted bad. traded to a really bad team. Say what you will but he is a major upgrade to the arm talent we have now. I hope. Still, not a waist of time to try out a former number 1 if it works or doesn't.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
The lazy media narratives are at a fever pitch regarding the Rams right now.

Yea this is the medias "aha" moment like " we were almost right we were just a year early disregard that Superbowl" start the clock .......now!

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
The lazy media narratives are at a fever pitch regarding the Rams right now.
Just one example of how this 'Lazy Media' comment is completely accurate.

I watch two different Radio programs here in NYC. Both are simulcast on TV. The Boomer and Gio Show in the morning; and the Michael Kay Show in the afternoon. Both reach national audiences. The two shows have a total of five co-hosts, and the NFL is a primary topic on both shows.

In the past 24 hours, one of the hosts on each shows has essentially made the same comment about the Rams, expressing their surprise and bemusement that the Rams "stink". Neither seemed aware that the Rams have had any injuries along the O-Line; and their co-hosts seemed just as unaware in failing to enlighten them. Boomer Esiason merely pointed-out that Stafford and Kupp were injured.

We, as devout Rams' fans, know much more about the Rams than the National Media. And ... IT AIN'T CLOSE.

To be fair, I would assume this is equally true of other die-hard fans of other NFL teams.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Just one example of how this 'Lazy Media' comment is completely accurate.

I watch two different Radio programs here in NYC. Both are simulcast on TV. The Boomer and Gio Show in the morning; and the Michael Kay Show in the afternoon. Both reach national audiences. The two shows have a total of five co-hosts, and the NFL is a primary topic on both shows.

In the past 24 hours, one of the hosts on each shows has essentially made the same comment about the Rams, expressing their surprise and bemusement that the Rams "stink". Neither seemed aware that the Rams have had any injuries along the O-Line; and their co-hosts seemed just as unaware in failing to enlighten them. Boomer Esiason merely pointed-out that Stafford and Kupp were injured.

We, as devout Rams' fans, know much more about the Rams than the National Media. And ... IT AIN'T CLOSE.

To be fair, I would assume this is equally true of other die-hard fans of other NFL teams.

Shannon knows. And surprisingly even SKIIIUUUPPPP even acknowledged all the injuries.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxg3LHTkuRg&t=664s

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
U cant underestimate how important "fit" is for players.
Sometimes that lightbulb just flips on with a new team and culture.
When we trot out Wolf and Perk, their best plays are made with their legs, so all we are really able to
assess is THEIR value.
With Mayfield, I guarantee we will get a better look at what our WRs/RBs and TEs can do.
100% worth kicking the tires with this move. What is the worst that can happen? We lose out?

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Shannon knows. And surprisingly even SKIIIUUUPPPP even acknowledged all the injuries.
Do they understand? Did they really acknowledge the O-Line injuries?

At 3:30, Skip says 'The O-Line since Day 1 has been a shambles. It has been a wreck' and Shannon immediately replies 'Yeah, no AD. No A'Shawn Robinson'.

Admittedly, I think those two guys are fucking morons; and I tapped-out early.

I did not hear either one mention that 7-of-the-top-8 OL have missed at least five games due to injury. OR
12 OL combinations in 12 games. First time that has happened since 1978 ... Forty-Four Years!

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I can't believe anyone would think this is bad lol

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Look, if the rams are in contention then OK, but playoffs are gone so we are playing for next year and what is the benefit of baker in that context.

He's not starting. Don't we want a backup that has starter potential?
Who is that player? There isn't one available and we don't have one now. The only downfall is Stan spends another $1.5mil. to take a look. Maybe it doesn't work out, no big deal. There is way more upside than there is downside.
Quite a few posters were Leary of OBJ last year, seems to have worked out very well.