UPDATE: Rams claim Baker Mayfield

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
We know Baker isn't a starter? Dude put up 26 TDs to 8 Ints in 2020 and led the Browns to the playoffs (including a victory in the playoffs). He also had an outstanding rookie season. I don't think it is remotely clear that Baker can't be a starter. And I'd much, much prefer watching him to watching Perkins play like a HB masquerading as a QB. The guy sucks.

And I hope Baker is the backup here next year.
My excitement is more geared to guys like Tutu and Jefferson. With Tutu's speed we now have a guy who can throw more than 30 yards.

Ewe83

Mama's got a new baby boy
Ro Ok GIF by Rosanna Pansino

It's not like it could make things much worse, let's see what he's got

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Only "downside" for me is that from what I've seen, Baker seemed like an arrogant jerk.

Hope I'm wrong on this, and some recent adversity has knocked some humility into him.

I thought OBJ would be an insufferable prima donna, but he turned out to be a great teammate.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I like this. Just said yesterday and a few times before that, that idk why the Rams under McV and Snead are holding onto and developing a couple of QB’s with no special tools.

The Wolford above the neck stuff…the Perkins athleticism(which I do like in a backup QB)….it’s weird that McV hasn’t had a legit project QB.

Baker is better than both of our backups sooooo yeah. It makes the team better. I think it also signals that the Rams would like to be able to evaluate the young WR’s properly with a QB who can throw downfield and has some real experience.

Maybe he shines under McV. Could happen. We’ve seen it before here. Goff looked lost at the end of 2016.

I like it. Smart flyer. I’ve also seen enough of the Wolford thing.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
This was an obvious waiver claim. I would have been stunned if the Rams hadn't done it.... Literally no down side.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
This could be longer term than many realize
Yeah I’m with you. There are multiple levels to the reasoning for taking this flyer, it’s not just for this year.

What would a full training camp in ‘23 with both a healthy Stafford and a rejuvenated Mayfield look like? Nothing but positives.

I am skeptical if Baker can work, digest and settle in here but it’s possible. I just hope that at the very least, this ends the Wolford/Perkins backup thing.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
And it stopped the 9ers from claiming him which I view as a win. Rat boy has a habit of getting production out of underperforming QBs

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I know but if you were told at the beginning of the season that the rams would be starting baker in december, how fast would your head explode?

I'd rather see Perkins the rest of the way. We know baker isn't a starter in this league let alone for the rams so why are we doing this.

No playoff possibility but potential team disruption for what? He's not starting next year, he wont be a backup here next year so what possible reason could the rams want to bring in someone to play maybe 4 games who doesn't know the playbook and takes experience from Perkins, who does know the platbook, while we still don't know what we have in him. Baker is at 57% completion this year.
Little bit of something to interest the fans.

KA210927

Rookie
Name
Kevin
Definitely was worth a pick up.

Crazy to think if Stafford retires Baker may be our qb for a few years.

What a crazy story that would be if he becomes a good starter.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
We know Baker isn't a starter? Dude…
Yeah that statement doesn’t hold water.

He was a decent to pretty good starter who’s simply been trending down for quite awhile.

What I’d like to know about are his study habits and work ethic since joining the league. He’s had some maturity issues but that doesn’t necessarily mean he doesn’t work hard. He could just be hard to work WITH.

I’m fascinated to see what McV can do with him.

Q729

Legend

The 3-9 Rams signed Baker Mayfield, and NFL fans had jokes about their desperation​

Robert Zeglinski

At this point in the season, the Los Angeles Rams realistically have very little to play for. They are technically still mathematically alive for a playoff spot. But at 3-9, and without Matthew Stafford, Aaron Donald, and Cooper Kupp, it’s doubtful the Rams will go on a heater to close the 2022 season. Not to mention that they’d need a ton of help and favorable outcomes in other matchups to even sneak into the postseason.

That isn’t stopping GM Les Snead from, quite literally, pulling out all the stops. The Rams’ latest desperate move to keep their fledgling Super Bowl defense alive was adding former No. 1 overall pick turned journeyman Baker Mayfield off of waivers. After backup John Wolford struggled in his starting stint for the injured Stafford, it’s presumed Mayfield will eventually take over as the starting quarterback.

And uh … good luck!

(the rest: https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/rams-baker-mayfield-desperate-49ers-awful-last-place-jokes-reaction)

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

The 3-9 Rams signed Baker Mayfield, and NFL fans had jokes about their desperation​

Robert Zeglinski

At this point in the season, the Los Angeles Rams realistically have very little to play for. They are technically still mathematically alive for a playoff spot. But at 3-9, and without Matthew Stafford, Aaron Donald, and Cooper Kupp, it’s doubtful the Rams will go on a heater to close the 2022 season. Not to mention that they’d need a ton of help and favorable outcomes in other matchups to even sneak into the postseason.

That isn’t stopping GM Les Snead from, quite literally, pulling out all the stops. The Rams’ latest desperate move to keep their fledgling Super Bowl defense alive was adding former No. 1 overall pick turned journeyman Baker Mayfield off of waivers. After backup John Wolford struggled in his starting stint for the injured Stafford, it’s presumed Mayfield will eventually take over as the starting quarterback.

And uh … good luck!

(the rest: https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/rams-baker-mayfield-desperate-49ers-awful-last-place-jokes-reaction)
What an ass. I bet he doesn't realize just how bad Wolford and Perkins were. I guess he doesn't realize that Stafford might retire. I think he doesn't realize that Mayfield is a bridge quarterback, and even if he doesn't work out, there's still a potential compensatory pick in the mix if he signs elsewhere.

Again, what an ass.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
It might turn out to be a good move.
Give him a go.
McVay keeps him in check regarding his ego.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah that statement doesn’t hold water.

He was a decent to pretty good starter who’s simply been trending down for quite awhile.

What I’d like to know about are his study habits and work ethic since joining the league. He’s had some maturity issues but that doesn’t necessarily mean he doesn’t work hard. He could just be hard to work WITH.

I’m fascinated to see what McV can do with him.
The easy explanation for last year was him being injured. He actually started the year playing well. But he injured his shoulder badly and then picked up multiple other injuries that he tried to play through and didn't play well. This year, Carolina was such a black hole of suck under Rhule, I have a hard time holding it against the QB.

Now, do I think we can count on Baker to return to form? No. But I think it's worth the risk. McVay has a good track record of extracting the best out of his QBs, and we desperately need a backup/reclamation project if Stafford comes back. If he doesn't, we need a bridge. Baker was talented enough to go #1 overall, talented enough to have an impressive rookie year despite his HC being fired, and talented enough to have a good 2020 season. Can McVay tap back into that Baker? I guess we'll find out. But I'll never count McVay out.