Troy Hill gets 2 Year Extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I'm a fan too. I don't understand the Hill hate....the guy plays good football especially for a 4th or 5th CB. He graded out well by PFF too. Not that it means much to some fans.
He's just so inconsistent, sometimes he looks great like against Atlanta in the playoffs. Other times he looks bad. He's definitely a very good 4th/5th CB.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That’s probably a good bet. I hope they don’t just arbitrarily give people $8 million for the freak of it.

$5.25 million. $3 million more total if he is basically the starter both seasons - not all that likely unless there are significant injuries. As was mentioned earlier in the thread, David Long is likely to be the beneficiary of injuries, not Hill.

We still don't know all the details - what is the signing bonus, is there any other guaranteed money, how is the salary money spread out over the two years? Since the bonuses don't qualify as likely to be earned (he didn't play on 52% of the defensive snaps in 2018) I suspect that while Hill is happy with the contract, that it's been structured to save money for 2019.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Like most of us, I get suckered in by the initial headline... “2 years for 8.25 M? Seems a bit steep!”

But as Akrasian and others point out, the contract is “really” more like 2 years at 5.25 M.

2 years at avg. 2.6M for a quality vet 4th CB sounds reasonable.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I am not a fan. Mistake prone, not a starter, and at best 5 or 6th best. I think we could find way better value by a rookie next year or a cheaper backup free agent. Starting 3 are really solid as a group and I think Long will be #4 over Hill. Mistake signing or a panic signing.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am not a fan. Mistake prone, not a starter, and at best 5 or 6th best. I think we could find way better value by a rookie next year or a cheaper backup free agent. Starting 3 are really solid as a group and I think Long will be #4 over Hill. Mistake signing or a panic signing.

I strongly suspect that the contract saves the Rams money in 2019, once the details are known - or at least doesn't cost the Rams more - and that the out is affordable for 2020. Remember that at this point the Rams will have all of their own draft picks plus two comp picks - when was the last time that happened?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think this conversation happens with every contract. People see the initial number, or some of it, make some wild comments about how major of an overpay it is then the details come out and people calm down or just never respond about it again.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
First thing they've done this offseason that I view as a mistake. Doubtful he'll ever live up to that.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First thing they've done this offseason that I view as a mistake. Doubtful he'll ever live up to that.

While I'm not a huge fan of his, I doubt that the actual cap hit for 2019 is any more than the offer they'd made. And the dead cap in 2020 won't be huge, unless he actually is a key player in 2019, with the bonuses for playing time.

It's insurance. And might save them a little money in 2019 compared to what they had initially offered, though at the cost of some money in 2020, when they will enter the draft with likely 9 picks, the most in many years.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I checked out Hill’s current contract at overthecap.com and they say he was due to make 2.025M in 2019 as an RFA.

Instead, in the likely event Hill does not play enough to collect that big bonus, Hill will get an average of 2.6M for 2 years.

My point is—yeah, I’m not crazy about Hill’s consistency either, but if the Rams made a mistake, it probably won’t be a very expensive one.

oldnotdead

Legend
He's a decent backup and his contract reflects it. Short and affordable. He's short and lacks speed. If you run over 4.55 in the 40 you better be 6' tall or 5'11" with long arms. The shorter a CB's height the smaller his play radius. It's simple geometry. With all the long WR's running in the 4.4 range they will kill him deep, which is what they did when he was starting.

If David Long shows anything at all in TC and pre-season he will be the primary rotational outside CB before the end of the season. Like I said, IMO Long was taken as Talib's replacement next year. He has the speed (4.45) and agility (short shuttle 3.97, 3 cone 6.45) you want in a man coverage boundary CB.

Nick Scott is 5'11" and runs a 4.38 with decent to good agility test results. When you see his play his agility appears better than his tests. He will be wasted buried behind Johnson and Rapp at safety which is why I think eventually he will be converted to boundary CB. Personally I still think he's the eventual replacement for Peters. I think Peters gets a one year show me contract in 2020 and Scott could replace him in 2021 because it normally takes 2 years to develop a CB enough to start in conversion.

Troy Hill's contract looks like a place holder deal until they have a better option. I have no problem with it at all. If they want to keep him as long term as a backup again I have no problem with that. But I don't see a starter in the guy.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I’m mildly surprised, too.

But I think that it’s a de facto $5.25M two year deal. Very affordable insurance in case of injury or a ‘20 departure of either Peters or Talib.

The reason that I doubt that Hill will ever see that $3M bonus? David Long will surely see the field before Hill. That “bonus language” was written in for face saving purposes for Hill.

I don’t know how you can say that after his extension. I said last month he is looking really good. Troy has experience Long has. It might be a tell on the future of Talib & Peters. Both could be gone next year ?
I’m sure Weddle has a voice as well.Interesting how a team structures contracts for the future. Troy was kept around when he could have been out of the league. His under the influence thing before SM

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I checked out Hill’s current contract at overthecap.com and they say he was due to make 2.025M in 2019 as an RFA.

Instead, in the likely event Hill does not play enough to collect that big bonus, Hill will get an average of 2.6M for 2 years.

My point is—yeah, I’m not crazy about Hill’s consistency either, but if the Rams made a mistake, it probably won’t be a very expensive one.

Go back to the Falcons playoff game & look who was the starting CB ? 2 years more of experience getting coached up & working hard.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He's a decent backup and his contract reflects it. Short and affordable. He's short and lacks speed. If you run over 4.55 in the 40 you better be 6' tall or 5'11" with long arms. The shorter a CB's height the smaller his play radius. It's simple geometry. With all the long WR's running in the 4.4 range they will kill him deep, which is what they did when he was starting.

If David Long shows anything at all in TC and pre-season he will be the primary rotational outside CB before the end of the season. Like I said, IMO Long was taken as Talib's replacement next year. He has the speed (4.45) and agility (short shuttle 3.97, 3 cone 6.45) you want in a man coverage boundary CB.

Nick Scott is 5'11" and runs a 4.38 with decent to good agility test results. When you see his play his agility appears better than his tests. He will be wasted buried behind Johnson and Rapp at safety which is why I think eventually he will be converted to boundary CB. Personally I still think he's the eventual replacement for Peters. I think Peters gets a one year show me contract in 2020 and Scott could replace him in 2021 because it normally takes 2 years to develop a CB enough to start in conversion.

Troy Hill's contract looks like a place holder deal until they have a better option. I have no problem with it at all. If they want to keep him as long term as a backup again I have no problem with that. But I don't see a starter in the guy.

Long has no NFL experience & Hill has been battle tested. If Long was progressing so well ? Why the signing ? Long was a total value pick.This puts pressure on Peters.

My call is Troy is first in line with Long learning early. Maybe as the season goes then Long steps up while being mentored.
Peters will be the CB to be replaced.He is a wild card.It’s his contract year & I’m sure The Rams know what Peters asking price is. It’s not me It’s we !! Troy has bought in and earned what he was just given.
Peters should bring a 3rd Comp pick ??

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
People here have a short memory. In 2017 he was good all year filling in for Webster - in fact, Hill being out was a big reason we lost to Minnesota that year.

Last year our entire secondary was bad without Talib - glad the coaches aren't holding that against him like people are here

oldnotdead

Legend
Both Peters and Talib are in their final contract year. Talib's injury history and age makes him gone in 2020. Peters will need to sign an affordable one year show me contract unless he breaks out this year. If Peters tables his ego and goes back to the way he played his first few years with the Chiefs, he's a very good CB when he's not out glory hunting. I just don't see him with the team long term.

Troy Hill did have a good 2017. But when he was replacing Talib last year his limitations were exposed. He required safety help over the top which exposed Peters.

Hill is not a starting boundary CB and despite his issues Roby-Coleman is a better slot CB. I can very easily see a starting secondary in 2021 of boundary CB's Long and Scott, Safeties, Johnson and Rapp with Roby-Coleman in the slot. This will give them a fast physical secondary able to play Wade's defense like he wants to execute it.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I think this is a good move for the Rams and Hill. He provides a good insurance policy and is showing improvement since becoming a Ram.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Fire Snead.