Troy Hill gets 2 Year Extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'm not a big fan of Hill, but I'm good with this. We could certainly do much worse than Hill.

If he could learn to play the ball better I'd feel much more comfortable with him. Hes a PI call waiting to happen

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
:shocked::thinking::cautious::censored::unsure::sadwalk:Fact is average starting corners will get paid big! Not that I beleive that Troy Hill is an average starting corner, but Snead & Wade think so. He was the Rams top reserve corner last season & late 2017 too.

IMO.........the main objective with this signing was to secure a veteran back up CB for the
2020 season due to the high probability that CB Talib UFA / CB Peters UFA & FS Weddle (retire) will not be Rams due to serious salary cap restraints.

https://www.therams.com/news/troy-hill-on-signing-extension
CB Troy Hill on signing extension though 2020: “I came a long way.”
Clarence Dennis

On Thursday, the Rams re-signed cornerback Troy Hill — making the local St. Bonaventure High School graduate a member of the Los Angeles secondary through the 2020 season.

He described the security in inking the two year deal as no longer having to look over his shoulder. “Now I feel like I’m free to play, I can be myself, I can go out there and just work on football and not have to worry about all the other things,” Hill told therams.com just after signing on Thursday.

Hill already has three full seasons as a Ram under his belt. An undrafted free agent out of the University of Oregon in 2015, Hill appeared in three games with the Bengals as rookie. Since the 2016 season, Hill’s played in 40 games and started in 14 in L.A., and has been relied on heavily for depth in the secondary. The 27-year-old’s production spiked in 2018, when he grabbed his first two interceptions as a pro and tallied a career-high seven passes defensed, playing 42 percent of defensive snaps.

Sitting above his new contract, which effectively replaced the one-year tender he signed as a restricted free agent ahead of 2019, Hill made it clear that security as a member of the Rams goes beyond the white lines.

“I moved out here when I was 15 and I didn’t really have my family, so this became a real family-oriented group with me,” the Youngstown, Ohio native said. “I feel like that was just that extra — 'alright it’s all love over here.'"

Hill spoke at length about his appreciation for special teams coordinator John Fassel — who he’s spent significant time working with since 2016. Fassel is the one who gave Hill his first opportunity with the Rams. Hill also described the special teams’ leader as a role model in consistency — exactly what he hopes to bring in year one of the new deal.

“Just putting it all together and just becoming more consistent this year,” Hill added. “That’s my main focus, just to be more consistent this year with everything that I do.”

pbzvgz3mkeijtxbafkds.jpg

Last edited:

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I think this whole signing is a case of "overreaction Monday."
It makes sense, even to those of you who were looking to create more cap to sign some unicorn.

He's a pro. He has demonstrated that by surviving in this league up to now. Long is in no way ready to assume the mantle of #3 CB. While I do expect him to supplant Hill EVENTUALLY (as I believe the FO does as well), should either Talib or Peters go down early, it would be Hill as next man up. The reality is that there is no better option on the roster as of today.

We tend to get finicky about roster decisions as we are now an elite, championship team; consequently, we can't let a guy walk without him being picked up almost immediately--prompting second guessing. Hill would be no different. There are teams for whom he'd be an upgrade (as sad as you might make that out to be). He is NOT good enough to be our starter during this run, but his experience/development is enough help us sleep at night knowing he's next up--so long as it's not long term.

nighttrain

Legend
Rams needed a CB, Talib and Peters. then what? was nothing. now we have the guy Wade wants, all good
train

Last edited:

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
People here have a short memory. In 2017 he was good all year filling in for Webster - in fact, Hill being out was a big reason we lost to Minnesota that year.

Last year our entire secondary was bad without Talib - glad the coaches aren't holding that against him like people are here
I wouldn't say Hill being out was the reason we lost, so much as it was the fact that Hill and 2 other CBs were injured during that game. We had our #5 CB on Adam Theilen. Hill was irrelevant to that. It doesn't matter who your 2, 3, and 4 CBs are, if they are all out then your 5th CB isn't going to cover Theilen very well.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't say Hill being out was the reason we lost, so much as it was the fact that Hill and 2 other CBs were injured during that game. We had our #5 CB on Adam Theilen. Hill was irrelevant to that. It doesn't matter who your 2, 3, and 4 CBs are, if they are all out then your 5th CB isn't going to cover Theilen very well.

Huh?

I said Hill being out was a big reason we lost. Webster was done for the year by this point - Hill was the starter. He and NRC both were out injured during this game.

The main reason we lost, as you pointed out, was our 5th CB covering Theilen - Hill was doing a much better job of it before going out in that game.

Him being out was a big factor in us losing that game - which is interesting for how often people rag on him here at ROD.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What Snead had compiled in his corner cadre behind our three starting corners (Talib-Peters-NRC)....:cautious::unsure:

Troy Hill 28/4 >5-11/183 UDFA/WWC
DariousWilliams 26/2 >5-9/187 UDFA/WWC
Kevin Peterson 25/3 >5-11/185 UDFA /WWC
Dont'e Deayon 25/3 >5-9/159 UDFA/WWC
Dom Hatfield 24/ 3>5-10/178 UDFA
Ramon Richards 23/1 >5-11/190 UDFA
David Long 21/R > 5-11/196 2019 3rd rd selection

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
$5.25 million. $3 million more total if he is basically the starter both seasons - not all that likely unless there are significant injuries. As was mentioned earlier in the thread, David Long is likely to be the beneficiary of injuries, not Hill.

We still don't know all the details - what is the signing bonus, is there any other guaranteed money, how is the salary money spread out over the two years? Since the bonuses don't qualify as likely to be earned (he didn't play on 52% of the defensive snaps in 2018) I suspect that while Hill is happy with the contract, that it's been structured to save money for 2019.

Give you credit for being some what if the Cap Guy !! Next year will see what happens at QB. Things will become really interesting then.

As for now, who know if Troy Hill could even bring The Rams a comp pick in 2021 ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
People here have a short memory. In 2017 he was good all year filling in for Webster - in fact, Hill being out was a big reason we lost to Minnesota that year.

Last year our entire secondary was bad without Talib - glad the coaches aren't holding that against him like people are here

Well I don’t know about the thinking around here on Troy Hills contract. I think it is pretty neutral, & most expecting the Rookie Long to be the man ?
I think most (have) here think Peters was more of the problem with Talib out. That said Peters finished the season strong & Hill didn’t get as much playing time when Talib came back from injury.
What happens during Peters contract year is important. I’m sure Hill is a back up plan either way, because he has earned it by being a WE type player.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Troy has been good for us... he's solid... and we need to have some CBs on the roster beyond next season.

dang

Legend
The Rams need some guaranteed depth at CB so I get the move - however - I am higher on Peterson. Understanding he has to prove he has recovered from last years injury.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
IMO it's always a good idea to draft a corner one every year. I was expecting two this past draft but Snead went with two safeties instead...understandable. The paydays these starting corners & Nickle get now is on the very high end. Does seem like rookie & 2nd season corners are more NFL ready to play than most other positions.

Reference my above post Rams sure did not have much-proven depth behind the main three CB's. Kevin Peterson did look very good on cameo appearances & his one start back in 2017. However, he is coming off an ACL tear last season so there would have to be a concern with him. If he can return to the previous form this should be the preseason for him to shine & showcase what he has.

Darious Williams may be the best talented outside corner of all the depth. I would think that our CB coach Aubrey Pleasant is very anxious to have Darious here in the Mimi Camp & Training Camp to test run him to see just what he has. I expect it to be a good surprise. DW {4.44 second 40-yard dash} & Dont'e Deayon {4.42 seconds/ 40} are the two fastest corners we have. Both are small though.

Last edited:

oldnotdead

Legend
Stats aren't everything. His mistakes have too many times been costly. As depth fine, but not as a starter.