Tom Brady speculation thread (to Bucs)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tom Brady

• Stays in New England

Votes: 50 42.4%
  • Moves to another team

Votes: 42 35.6%
  • Retires

Votes: 26 22.0%

• Total voters

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I don't know about anyone else, but I feel kinda sullied and depressed when I come into my Rams home and see a "Tom Brady's future" thread...... FTB!

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I heard Tom Brady had been highly recruited into the Bobby Boucher School of Talented Waterboys. They figured he could hit you with bottled Evian at 60 yards!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think Brady is back in NE.

BUT....IF... if were to happen, Rivers makes a ton of sense. He’s “man enough” to handle replacing Tom... he’s shorter term, which might align with Bellichick’s strategy to eventually retire?

——

Ex-Patriots QB Says Former Pro Bowler is ‘Intriguing’ Replacement for Tom Brady

If Tom Brady does decide to move on from the New England Patriots, there could be one very viable veteran option on the market

Philip Rivers — who had served as the Los Angeles Chargers‘ starting quarterback for the past 14 years — will enter the free agent market knowing one thing for certain — he’ll be looking for a new home. The Chargers announced earlier in the week that the franchise and Rivers are going in separate directions for the 2020 season.

According to Matt Cassel — who started at quarterback for the Patriots during the 2008 season and played for the team from 2005 until 2008 — Rivers represents an “intriguing” option for New England if Brady opts to sign with another team.

Via NBC Sports Boston:

“That’s why Philip Rivers is an intriguing guy, because I still believe he can play at a high level.

He’s obviously an outstanding leader and a veteran. But he’s also been in a Los Angeles Chargers system with Ken Whisenhunt, who runs a very similar offensive scheme as New England with similar language. So, there’s some carryover there.

You’re going to pay for Rivers. But if you’re looking for a guy to fill a one- to two-year bridge gap, you know what you’re getting with him. You know he’s a competitor. He can still play and is a great leader on the field.”

Why the Patriots May Need a Veteran Quarterback

The Patriots also have Jarrett Stidham returning for his second season next year. While he may understand the system with a year under his belt, he still has very little playing experience.

During Cassel’s article, he makes sure to stress the traits you need to have in order to be the Patriots’ starting quarterback. Outside of being able to make plays, you need to know how to make pre-snap adjustments and be able to make the proper protection calls.

Simply put, that is something that Stidham will likely struggle with early on. It’s not something that should be a problem for Rivers.

What Rivers Brings to the Table

Rivers is a 16-year veteran who has not missed a start since he became a starter during the 2006 season. In fact, he is the active leader for consecutive games started by a quarterback with 235 consecutive starts. That is the second-best record for a quarterback in NFL history — behind Brett Favre‘s 321 consecutive starts.

In other words, the 38-year-old Rivers is an experienced field general who knows all about pre-snap adjustments.

While Rivers didn’t exactly light up the field last season with his production — he threw 20 interceptions, the third-most total in the NFL — he was a Pro Bowler during the 2018 season. In fact, he led the Chargers to a Divisional Round appearance during that season.

Obviously, Rivers isn’t the only veteran quarterback on the free agent market. Names such as Marcus Mariota, Teddy Bridgewater and Ryan Tannehill will all be free agents, which means New England could have their pick of the litter.

But no free agent quarterback — with the exception of Brady, of course — is as accomplished as Rivers is.

We’re talking about a guy who is an eight-time Pro Bowler, a former Comeback Player of the Year and a veteran who has led the league in every major statistical passing category at some point during his career — passing yards, touchdowns, passer rating and completion percentage.

If the Patriots are forced to move on from Brady, Cassel may be right — Rivers really may be an “intriguing” fit for New England.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I don't see Rivers going to New England, really like Andy Dalton with New England, he's younger, has the type of temperament Belichick covets and given a good offensive line and running game, he can be effective.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I don't see Rivers going to New England, really like Andy Dalton with New England, he's younger, has the type of temperament Belichick covets and given a good offensive line and running game, he can be effective.
That makes a ton of sense. We've seen Dalton play extremely well at points of his career, he'd probably have quite the resurgence in NE. I don't know if the Patriots have enough cap space for both, but they'd benefit from having Dalton's best friend follow him there as well.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Peter King reveals when Patriots’ Tom Brady should make decision

According to King, Brady should notify the New England Patriots of his decision by March 12 or 13. That would be before the start of free agency and would give the Patriots time to make decisions based upon Brady’s answer.

“There’s two phases,” Florio said on NBC Sports. “Is he going to go back to the Patriots? That’s phase one. I think as a practical matter, that’s the ship that has to sail before March the 16th. You either sign with the Patriots or you embark on the Reggie White, Peyton Manning free agency tour. I don’t think the Patriots are still in play once the boat is out of the harbor. Do you agree with me on that?”

“Probably,” King replied “Probably, but I’m just going to say this, Mike. I don’t think that in this particular case anything is set in stone, but I do have a pretty good feeling that we’ll probably get to March 12th or 13th and know if there’s any chance he’s going to go back to the Patriots.”

It had been reported earlier on Sunday that Brady and the Patriots have had no progress on contract discussions, according to Mike Reiss of ESPN. In fact, both sides haven’t had negotiations whatsoever.

If Brady does decide to leave New England, letting them know before free agency would be the right thing to do. It would give the franchise time to move on and sign an adequate veteran quarterback early on in free agency.

Obviously, Patriots fans hope it doesn’t get to that point. But anything is possible heading into free agency.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If you look for a wild card... This makes a lot of sense.

Titans Reportedly Favorites for Tom Brady, As They Should Be

ESPN NFL reporter Jeff Darlington named the Tennessee Titans as the favorites to land Tom Brady on Adam Schefter's podcast earlier this week. According to Darlington, the Titans are followed by Las Vegas and New England.

View: https://twitter.com/richeisenshow/status/1230275370101956608?s=21

Schefter, speaking on the Rich Eisen Show, noted Darlington is “a lot more connected to that particular situation than a lot of people realize.”

This news is surprising. The Titans are rarely brought up in the discussion and the oddsmakers have them at 16-1 to add the quarterback. The Patriots, Raiders, and Chargers have been the three most rumored teams to this point. Though, as I wrote after the Patriots' season ended, the Titans are clearly the best football-fit for Brady.

He'd be subject to a substantial upgrade in surrounding offensive firepower in Tennessee. The Titans have a dynamic receiving core and employ the NFL's most unstoppable, bulldozing running back. (Derrick Henry is a free agent but is expected to return.) Mike Vrabel isn't Bill Belichick — obviously — but knows Brady well. This is a top-level roster that built a 10-point lead in the AFC Championship Game against the eventual Super Bowl champion Kansas City Chiefs.

Brady wouldn't need to return to his prime to win a Super Bowl with the Titans. Tennessee stomped, pushed around, and humiliated the Ravens, who were the most dominant team in the NFL, with a formula that required just 88 passing yards from Ryan Tannehill.

Tannehill's name in this equation is where it gets complicated. If the Titans use the franchise tag on him, as some expect them to do, it'd be virtually impossible to sign Brady to the type of contract he's seeking. Depending on Brady's timetable, the Titans may have to risk not tagging Tannehill to leave the door open for Brady's addition.

There is debate if the soon-to-be 43-year-old-Brady is a better player than Tannehill, who is coming off his best season in the NFL. We can't erase the seven years of evidence screaming that Tannehill is a middle-of-the-road quarterback. Brady seems well worth the risk.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Started the Raiders rumor before all the talking heads. Mike Maylock was a main source I used. He has always been such a Kraft tool .

Ram65

Legend
It had been reported earlier on Sunday that Brady and the Patriots have had no progress on contract discussions, according to Mike Reiss of ESPN. In fact, both sides haven’t had negotiations whatsoever.

If Brady does decide to leave New England, letting them know before free agency would be the right thing to do. It would give the franchise time to move on and sign an adequate veteran quarterback early on in free agency.

This cuts both ways. From what I understand Brady wants more offensive weapons to stay with the Patsies. You would think they would be having some dialog about their future together if they both have an interest. I think he is gone.

Titans have 22 free agents. They have some cap space. This would be very interesting to see who they resign and who they have for Brady.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Brady is staying put simply because he will get paid due to the fact the patriots have no better option at qb.

Draft is out. Their whats-his-name backup isnt even on the radar and who are they going to get in free agency that can run their offense better in 2020? Even if they did get teddy or taysom or whoever, they still need to add more weapons so may as well focus on that aspect. The last thing you want is a new qb AND recievers learning mcdanials offense at the same time.

Besides other qbs may not be ok with having to cheat.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Brady is staying put simply because he will get paid due to the fact the patriots have no better option at qb.

I tend to believe he stays... but, if he wants to go the Patriots have no say.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Enhanced Audio Reveals What Tom Brady Said After Julian Edelman Declared QB Was ‘Coming Back’

BOSTON (CBS) — We’ve reached the Zapruder point of The Tom Brady Offseason Of 2020. That’s how deep we’ve all gotten.

And in this instance, the “enhanced audio” of Brady’s message from the Carrier Dome on Saturday afternoon is sure to quell some panic that may have ensued in New England on Saturday afternoon and evening.

For background, Brady was in attendance as Syracuse took on UNC, alongside old pal Julian Edelman. At one point, a camera focused on the two Patriots stars (and Jimmy Fallon, randomly), at which Edelman declared, “He’s coming back. He’s coming back.”

From there, Brady looked quite uncomfortable, and after a few seconds, he said something very quickly. The millions of expert lip readers on Twitter immediately deciphered Brady as saying either “he’s not” or “this guy.”

Now we know the answer. And everybody was wrong.

NFL Network on Monday shared some “enhanced audio” from the moment. In that footage, you can hear that somebody asked Brady what he said to Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim.

Brady shook his head and just said, “He’s got it.”

In other words, Brady’s famed lip-reading moment wasn’t at all about Edelman’s bold proclamation.

View: https://twitter.com/mysportsupdate/status/1234545413937680384?s=21

Soon enough, some body language experts will be weighing in on what we can glean from Brady’s posture during that moment. But for now, it appears as though anyone who saw Saturday’s clip and believed it to mean that Brady was officially a goner can now breathe a little bit easier.

Now we just need some “enhanced audio” of that FaceTime call with Mike Vrabel.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I tend to believe he stays... but, if he wants to go the Patriots have no say.

Many keep communicating Patriots have no other option, until they move on. Bill Belichick wants to move on, he feels they have just as good of a chance winning with Andy Dalton and maybe drafting a QB of the future than Tom Brady and in Belichick's mind, the time is now. So because of that aspect, I believe Brady won't be back because Belichick does not want him back and Robert Kraft will side with the man running his football operations IMHO.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Rumor: Tom Brady a ‘real’ option for 49ers

The San Francisco 49ers are now being linked to Tom Brady in free agency. While Tom Curran of NBC Sports Boston says the New England Patriots and Tennessee Titans are the favorites for Brady’s services, he believes the 49ers are a “real” possibility:

View: https://twitter.com/maddogradio/status/1234938751459250177?s=21

Of course, many of these rumors involving Brady should be taken with a grain of salt right now. After all, Brady to the 49ers doesn’t make much sense outside of him playing for his hometown.

Despite it seeming crazy, Deion Sanders also shared the same idea as Curran. The Hall of Fame cornerback believes that Brady will sign with the 49ers. Then, San Francisco would proceed to trade Jimmy Garoppolo to the Patriots.

San Francisco acquired Garoppolo from the New England Patriots in a trade back in 2017. Prior to being sent to the 49ers, Garoppolo actually served as Brady’s backup for the Patriots for three seasons. Why would the 49ers, who just made a Super Bowl, get rid of Garoppolo in favor of a 42-year-old Brady?

While Garoppolo isn’t an elite quarterback, he’s entering his third full season as a starter. Plus, it’s important to note that he still has three years remaining on his current contract and the 49ers believe he can be their long-term solution.

There’s no doubt that some fans and possibly Brady would be on board with the idea of him signing with the 49ers. But unless something changes San Francisco’s mind on Garoppolo, he will be the starting quarterback in 2020.