Todd Gurley: Would You?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I can't say I agree with you. I don't see it as a huge problem. What is the difference between a stipend and being paid? I wrote out a much longer post, but just cut it. I doubt we are going to agree. Suffice it to say, they're getting a stipend and a free education (yes you might actually have to crack a book or try to learn something.) No one forces anyone to play football, and if they are concerned about the quality of their education they are free to either go to college like everyone else, or choose a school maybe outside of the SEC or the semi-pro conferences that will educate you.

Other than the fact that there are minimum wage laws in the United States and the stipend falls well below it?

You can't argue an employee-employer relationship with payment for college athletes. If you do, the NCAA's practices immediately become illegal. You have to argue the student-athlete side of the coin so they're not being paid at all.

No one forces anyone to play football...yes...but any of them that want to go pro have to go through the NCAA because there is a monopoly by the NFL and the NCAA that blocks their access.

Why should they have to make that sacrifice in bold if their education is their compensation as you're arguing? That would run contrary to the logic of your argument here.

Some colleges honor scholarships even for an injured player and some have higher standards than others when they recruit. Look up John Urshel G at PSU. The guy is a math genius and is in the NFL. He was teaching courses in his Senior year.

The real answer is not to pay college athletes, it is to have two avenues to the pros. College and an NFL minor league for kids that don't care about scholarships and education, or cannot get accepted. They can get paid to play, and some of the extra schollies could be turned into academic scholarships.

I agree totally. But the NCAA will do their best to oppose that. Would significantly harm their profit margin.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Other than the fact that there are minimum wage laws in the United States and the stipend falls well below it?

You can't argue an employee-employer relationship with payment for college athletes. If you do, the NCAA's practices immediately become illegal. You have to argue the student-athlete side of the coin so they're not being paid at all.

No one forces anyone to play football...yes...but any of them that want to go pro have to go through the NCAA because there is a monopoly by the NFL and the NCAA that blocks their access.

Why should they have to make that sacrifice in bold if their education is their compensation as you're arguing? That would run contrary to the logic of your argument here.

I agree totally. But the NCAA will do their best to oppose that. Would significantly harm their profit margin.

We don't agree.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
If they want to make a legal challenge to the NCAA, I wish them good luck. If they want to organize a game strike, union style, I wish them the best. But I'm not convinced in the slightest that they are getting a bad deal. The choice to play is on them, the choice of school is on them.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they want to make a legal challenge to the NCAA, I wish them good luck. If they want to organize a game strike, union style, I wish them the best. But I'm not convinced in the slightest that they are getting a bad deal. The choice to play is on them, the choice of school is on them.

The choice to play isn't on them. There is no alternative. It's either give up a potential pro football career or submit to the NCAA's rules. It's a monopoly.

Play with the NCAA's rules or quit football isn't a choice for these kids. Do you think if the NFL had a minor league where they got paid a reasonable salary and didn't hurt their draft stock that most of these kids wouldn't take it?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
The choice to play isn't on them. There is no alternative. It's either give up a potential pro football career or submit to the NCAA's rules. It's a monopoly.

Play with the NCAA's rules or quit football isn't a choice for these kids. Do you think if the NFL had a minor league where they got paid a reasonable salary and didn't hurt their draft stock that most of these kids wouldn't take it?

Why isn't it a choice? You speak as if they are forced into playing.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why isn't it a choice? You speak as if they are forced into playing.

They are. The options for most of these kids are bad. They're from working class families and grew up in not so nice areas. The options for them often are quit football and either get a minimum wage job(or near minimum wage) or join a gang...or accept the NCAA's highly restrictive rules to get a shot at playing in the NFL and getting a college degree.

Lets not pretend there's an alternative. Their choice is quit football or accept the NCAA's rules. That's not a choice. There is no choice to play football, get paid, and still have a shot at playing in the NFL.

Taking the stance of "Oh, you don't like the NCAA's rules? Well, quit football then" isn't much different from "Oh, you don't like the corrupt cops here? Move to another city".

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
They are. The options for most of these kids are bad. They're from working class families and grew up in not so nice areas. The options for them often are quit football and either get a minimum wage job(or near minimum wage) or join a gang...or accept the NCAA's highly restrictive rules to get a shot at playing in the NFL and getting a college degree.

Lets not pretend there's an alternative. Their choice is quit football or accept the NCAA's rules. That's not a choice. There is no choice to play football, get paid, and still have a shot at playing in the NFL.

Taking the stance of "Oh, you don't like the NCAA's rules? Well, quit football then" isn't much different from "Oh, you don't like the corrupt cops here? Move to another city".

We're not going to agree. They're free to mount a legal challenge if they feel they're being treated unfairly.

It's a simple solution, introduce a baseball style rule, if you think you're ready out of high school go directly to the NFL if you don't then go to college for 3+ years, take full advantage of an opportunity that a lot of kids/families would kill for.

Another alternative is these kids setting up their own minor league if they want to take on all the risk themselves, if these schools are making millions off them then it shouldn't have much trouble making a massive profit.

Athos

Legend
No way ANY HS senior is ready for the NFL....Ever.

NCAA is where they put on muscle, continuing growing, etc.

If you want an even worse product on the field, sure, you could have HS seniors go the NFL. But they'd never see the field.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
We're not going to agree. They're free to mount a legal challenge if they feel they're being treated unfairly.
They have. And they're starting to win them.

Colleges are making WAY too much money off of these kids.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/16/todd-gurley-reportedly-tears-acl/

Todd Gurley reportedly tears ACL
Posted by Mike Florio on November 16, 2014

gurley.jpg
AP

In hindsight, the NCAA would have done Todd Gurley a favor by suspending him for the balance of the year.

Per multiple reports, the Georgia tailback tore an ACL in his return from a four-game suspension after signing autographs for money.

The injury, which requires major surgery and extensive rehab, underscores the reality that “an education” doesn’t represent nearly enough compensation for the contributions the players make and the risks they assume. It also provides further ammunition for the inevitable decision of an NFL-ready player less than three years removed from high school to sit out a year in lieu of exposing himself to serious injury without the ability to be paid by the school or to sell his name or likeness at a time when a significant market for both exist.

If/when a college football player turns his back on college football for a year, fans of the team will be livid. Many in the media will wag a finger. Scouts will whisper anonymously to reporters that the player must not “love football.”

But it will be a smart business decision. And it will be precisely the business decision than any of us should want our own sons to make if the upper reaches of the NFL draft were widely regarded as a certainty.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
http://espn.go.com/college-football...d-gurley-georgia-bulldogs-tears-acl-left-knee

Terrible news.

But it might allow us to have our cake and eat it too. I know some of you have said you don't want a HB but if Gurley were there in the late 1st/early 2nd...you're telling me that you wouldn't want to trade up for him?

Gurley + Mason = Sexiness
He might last into the 4th like Lattimore. If he lasts into the 3rd, the Rams might be willing to take a chance and redshirt him on the IR for a year

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Did Lattimore have more than 1 ACL?

I would be leery and I think after Sam and Jakes ACLs that the Rams would be gunshy. A first is too high. A Third? Okay, but I bet Fisher would pass. The RB position is looking good with Mason and Cunningham. Being backed up by Stacy and Watts is better doth than the Rams have on the Oline.

I'd ps and use the picks on the line if the talent is there.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He might last into the 4th like Lattimore. If he lasts into the 3rd, the Rams might be willing to take a chance and redshirt him on the IR for a year

No chance. I don't see him lasting past pick #45. He'll be ready for the season next year...at worst...after a stint on the PUP list. And he was a top 10 talent before the injury. This isn't nearly as severe as Lattimore's second injury.

Did Lattimore have more than 1 ACL?

I would be leery and I think after Sam and Jakes ACLs that the Rams would be gunshy. A first is too high. A Third? Okay, but I bet Fisher would pass. The RB position is looking good with Mason and Cunningham. Being backed up by Stacy and Watts is better doth than the Rams have on the Oline.

I'd ps and use the picks on the line if the talent is there.

Lattimore blew out both of his ACLs(in separate years) and the second injury was a lot more severe than Gurley's. He dislocated his knee and blew out just about every ligament in it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I still think I would wait till round 3 if I was going to pull the trigger but I'd rather pass.

Gurley won't be able to practice at the combine or maybe even leading up to the draft.

Athos

Legend

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still think I would wait till round 3 if I was going to pull the trigger but I'd rather pass.

Gurley won't be able to practice at the combine or maybe even leading up to the draft.

Speaking solely for myself, I don't need the combine to see how good he is.