Todd Gurley released

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Deac

Starter
Name
Sean
If we don’t think Todd is completely healthy, who cares if he signs with the Seahawks?
because I still have memories of Jim Everett in a Saints uniform picking us apart, players that are no longer great can still find the juice at times for a game of two when they really want it.:)

Ellard80

Legend
That's my takeaway. I mean if you pop in the tape from '15, '16, '17 he hasn't moved like that in a couple of seasons now. Still good, but not like the All World angry power back track star he was.

I didn't like his pressers either but i have no idea what TG feels...so i can't judge him in that respect.

Yeah had a number of back and forth with people on this one last year... he was not himself.

This wasn't a shock to me, but still pretty bad that they were willing to take the cap hit because its that bad.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Was a great RB.
Seems to be a pretty cool dude. Sometimes looked like he wasn't into playing.

My biggest issue I have about all this is, how injured is he? What exactly is injured?
Is that information EVER going to surface?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
because I still have memories of Jim Everett in a Saints uniform picking us apart, players that are no longer great can still find the juice at times for a game of two when they really want it.:)

I've never forgotten that Jim Everett won his last game in Anaheim Stadium, while the team that traded him away did not.

Gawd, I hated Chuck Knox for that.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
Don’t feel like reading 14 pages,

What is the cap savings? 10 million next two seasons.

It was a good decision. He is a probably a 3 million dollar player at this point. We add about 4 million of player value to the roster this season and next total. Small amount but it is something.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He’s going to and part of me hopes he bends the Rams over. I’m incredibly bitter right now and I will calm down but the stupidity of this move irritates me to no end.
WTH? non-homer

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I'm still upset and think I will be for quite some time. I know its a business and shit happens but Gurley????? Really wish we knew the true reasons for this, I know it's not for a little cap relief next year and the year after, has to be more to this. This just sucks.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
He’s going to and part of me hopes he bends the Rams over. I’m incredibly bitter right now and I will calm down but the stupidity of this move irritates me to no end.

I think once you've had a few days to digest it, this move will make sense.

Believe me, I hate losing him for what he was for us in 2017 and the first 2/3 of 2018, and if he could still be that I don't think there is any way the Rams brass makes this move. He clearly wasn't that for most of 2019, some flashes here and there excepted, and trying to keep a guy on with that kind of contract but at a reduced workload and reduced effectiveness is untenable. I think they genuinely believe the knee issue is going to continue to be a problem going forward and make him much less of a RB than he was at full strength, hence the move today.

I'll probably spend some time tonight drinking a bit of that good Japanese whiskey my wife brings back from there each year while watching highlight videos of the old TFGB (Todd Fucking Gurley, Baby), and sulking a bit that the time is gone. But I understand it, and there is a part of me that is just glad that the waiting to find out what would happen is now over. Now we can move forward.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I do have a hard time believing the would outright cut him if he was 100% physically.
Yep me too. They wouldn't. Same as Arizona wouldn't have just cut David Johnson. He's had some injuries too but apparently nothing as serious as TG. Both had albatross contracts but Johnson was tradable(ok to Bill O'Brian but still).
TG was not.

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see TG latch on for one more season somewhere and then retire. I'm convinced at this point he's damaged goods unfortunately.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
This had to be expected. I really wish we could have gotten some kind of draft capital or trade pieces, but, I knew he was never going to be a Ram in 2020 and its the Rams front offices fault. You do not extend RB's 2 seasons before they are FA eligible. You'd have to be a complete moron to do this, particularly when that player has a questionable knee (which I looked up and it's an important part of running). The ridiculousness of this all is that he'd just be a normal UFA right now had we just done what we should have done and exercised our 5th year option on our first round pick. We wouldn't have 10+mil in dead cap. Noooo, instead the front office got all excited and decided to lock a RB into a huge contract before they needed to.

Honestly, between this and extending Goff before he even hits his 5th year option, I'm REALLY starting to question our front offices intelligence and if they should be still employed. Goff didn't need an extension until this year, and, based on last season should certainly not be paid amongst the top 5 at his position, like he is. Just blows my mind.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I have no idea how they're gonna fill the hole Gurley is gonna leave. Gurley was our MVP during the Rams turnaround under McVay. Man, i really wanted TG to retire a Ram...

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Cowherd on the release of Todd Gurley.

“Last year Sean McVay would say ‘The reason we’re not using Todd Gurley is because I’m an idiot! Haha! This is all on me!’ – that was the ‘story’ the Rams were projecting. But I live in Los Angeles and know players and people on the staff. That wasn’t the REAL story. The story is that Todd Gurley got paid, Todd Gurley got hurt, and Todd Gurley changed. He’s not great for the locker room right now, and they wanted him out for a year and couldn’t figure out how to get rid of him. I've got intel on this. They don’t want him there… What was being said behind closed doors was ‘HOW DO WE GET OUT OF THIS CONTRACT?’”
This would not only explain why they didnt use him as much, by why he was also demoted from captain last season. It may have some substance to it, if so then I dont feel so bad about jumping ship.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I have no idea how they're gonna fill the hole Gurley is gonna leave. Gurley was our MVP during the Rams turnaround under McVay. Man, i really wanted TG to retire a Ram...
My crystal ball says RB by committee. It works for SF & SEA.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My crystal ball says RB by committee. It works for SF & SEA.
Yes. I don't see them going after a retread. They want cheap, replaceable talent at RB. I doubt that the Rams will pay a huge contract for another RB in my lifetime.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This had to be expected. I really wish we could have gotten some kind of draft capital or trade pieces, but, I knew he was never going to be a Ram in 2020 and its the Rams front offices fault. You do not extend RB's 2 seasons before they are FA eligible. You'd have to be a complete moron to do this, particularly when that player has a questionable knee (which I looked up and it's an important part of running). The ridiculousness of this all is that he'd just be a normal UFA right now had we just done what we should have done and exercised our 5th year option on our first round pick. We wouldn't have 10+mil in dead cap. Noooo, instead the front office got all excited and decided to lock a RB into a huge contract before they needed to.

Honestly, between this and extending Goff before he even hits his 5th year option, I'm REALLY starting to question our front offices intelligence and if they should be still employed. Goff didn't need an extension until this year, and, based on last season should certainly not be paid amongst the top 5 at his position, like he is. Just blows my mind.

He deserved that contract. He was the mvp in 2018 before injury hit. Any player can get injured making his contract look bad.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think once you've had a few days to digest it, this move will make sense.
It won't ever make sense especially with the June 1 designation. I'll be less angry like I was eventually when she traded away Eric Dickerson. But this move will never make sense. The smart thing to do was use him and abuse him for a year and then cut him or trade him at the deadline to get something and take the cap savings next year. This is stupid and I'll never change my mind about that part of it. I will get less angry but will never be ok with this.