Todd Gurley released

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
18EAB5BA-3416-45D2-B28D-09C7F66C1AF1.jpeg

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Its the knee. It's got to be the knee. It makes no sense otherwise.

I do have a hard time believing the would outright cut him if he was 100% physically. If it was just attitude, well that's something that's fixable and the locker room culture is pretty good - his teammates would have leaned on him. But you can't reason with a bum knee.

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
AD had a tweet that said he was pissed about this. And you think that Ramsey's going to be happy about us releasing a star player in the middle of his contract? You think he's going to want to sign after this?

I can understand if it's a trade we're talking about, but giving him up for nothing?

It's a business. The Rams gave Gurely his contract before his injury. He obviously wasn't the same player after that happened for whatever reason. It just doesn't make sense to pay a player that much if he either "doesn't have it" or is going to ride the bench. To add to that Gurely obviously wasn't happy about his reduced role and he let everyone know about it on the field and off. To me that's unacceptable but that's just my opinion. Also the Rams have to think long term, If Ramsey and other key players like Kupp, JJIII, Hill, etc want to get paid things like this HAVE to happen. Even if Gurely was healthy and was still in Beast mode, something has to give.

We also aren't behind the scenes so we don't know if the Rams tried to reason with Gurely and his contract, for all we know his representation probably gave them the finger, and that's their choice. I'm sure in the next couple of weeks we will see what's really up with Gurely's knee and how bad teams want him, in addition to what happened with the Rams before his release.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Cowherd on the release of Todd Gurley.

“Last year Sean McVay would say ‘The reason we’re not using Todd Gurley is because I’m an idiot! Haha! This is all on me!’ – that was the ‘story’ the Rams were projecting. But I live in Los Angeles and know players and people on the staff. That wasn’t the REAL story. The story is that Todd Gurley got paid, Todd Gurley got hurt, and Todd Gurley changed. He’s not great for the locker room right now, and they wanted him out for a year and couldn’t figure out how to get rid of him. I've got intel on this. They don’t want him there… What was being said behind closed doors was ‘HOW DO WE GET OUT OF THIS CONTRACT?’”

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Third hint it cost us more to do this for the upcoming season. It reduces the payrol, in future years but hurts us this year. You can’t say one and ignore the other.

AlphaRam

Rookie
Cowherd on the release of Todd Gurley.

“Last year Sean McVay would say ‘The reason we’re not using Todd Gurley is because I’m an idiot! Haha! This is all on me!’ – that was the ‘story’ the Rams were projecting. But I live in Los Angeles and know players and people on the staff. That wasn’t the REAL story. The story is that Todd Gurley got paid, Todd Gurley got hurt, and Todd Gurley changed. He’s not great for the locker room right now, and they wanted him out for a year and couldn’t figure out how to get rid of him. I've got intel on this. They don’t want him there… What was being said behind closed doors was ‘HOW DO WE GET OUT OF THIS CONTRACT?’”
So the contract was bad but the attitude was worse.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Then why not keep him this year?
The 10 million payment mattered to someone and that’s Kroenke
Man get serious this has nothing to do with him. They’re going to spend that money no matter what it just depends on this player. On thing is certain with Stan he doesn’t interfere with the day to day operation of the team.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
It's about clearing the books for 2021 when they need to extend Kupp, Johnson, and maybe Reynolds and Everett.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's about clearing the books for 2021 when they need to extend Kupp, Johnson, and maybe Reynolds and Everett.
But they made it a post June 1st which means they didn’t clear the future years totally.

AlphaRam

Rookie
Third hint it cost us more to do this for the upcoming season. It reduces the payrol, in future years but hurts us this year. You can’t say one and ignore the other.
We weren't gonna contend for the Superbowl anyways this year so it's the right call. Get it over and done with.