TNF - Rams at Seahawks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
For whatever reason went from supremely confident to indecisive. Those overthrows were throws he nailed in camp. IMO it's a product of McVay expanding the playbook and now he's going through a learning curve.

With Goff, the reads went from short to deep. It's the reverse now with Stafford. This is what McVay wants and why Matthew passes on those quick completions. McVay isn't interested in short passes if there is an opportunity for a deep strike. The constant threat of the deep strike forces the safeties out of the box with the speed the Rams have at WR. That in turn opens up the run attack.

Matt's reads are slow because he isn't sure where the guys are going to be and the timing is way off. He will improve with practice and play.

RamsFan4Life

Starter
On another note, I’ve searched for Allen’s pancake on the run before Hendo’s TD and am finding bupkiss and too stupid to clip it out of my recording of the game……

maybe I’ll record it with tablet and attach…….

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
For the Thursday game it's tough to distinguish whether his finger was troubling him to the point where those under-throws may have been the result, although as the game proceeds, he seems to adjust just fine. Since these early game under-throws appear more regular lately, I wonder if his pre-game preparation is doing him justice, is he taking enough practice prior to the game to loosen up that arm of his ?
I can't speak to the "bad throws".. no idea.
But the bad reads seem to be over-aggressive or over-hyped. Just needs to settle down a little. He's not with the Lions, he doesn't need to try and win the game on every throw.

RamsFan4Life

Starter
I recorded with my IPad

even muted airman and buck and replaced them with greatest stadium hype song EVER

tried multiple methods to upload/attach

sorry…..I’m a tard

RamsFan4Life

Starter
It wasn’t as great as I thought live

he handles his man who’s back pedaling

and then he shoves him over a fallen lineman and bellyflops on him after tying up a second guy

wish I could post it……

oldnotdead

Legend
Not that play but nice block here keeping a good DT away from Hendo

View: https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1446454082235998217

This is an example of how the OL has changed under Carberry when I say they are running a gap power blocking scheme without a lead FB. Kupp is providing the same lead block as a FB would. IMO this just adds more wear and tear to his most important WR threat. But my point is that it's well-executed and was never played under Kromer. It's what I had been advocating during Kromer's tenure.

The Rams are behind the curve in their ground game compared to most teams. But IMO that is because of the emphasis of the offense under Stafford is the passing game. McVay uses his ground game as a distraction, which is different from when he had Gurley. This doesn't mean that they need another bell cow RB, it just points out how McVay's offense is structured.

This OL is playing lights out this season in their pass blocking. Nothing more reflects how well the OL is playing as when McVay goes to empty in the backfield. Defenses are getting only one sack per game and when put into context Stafford has attempted 172 passes and has been sacked 3 times (1.7%). That plays to the strength of McVay's offense. His offense changed after Gurley's injury. Playing 21 personnel is a bandaid. If he is serious about the run game he needs to incorporate a true FB to run a true power attack.

They have Buddy Howell on the PS. At 6'1", 225 lbs running a 4.52 in the 40 he's a match for any ILB if he's coached up as a FB. He's got good speed for a man his size and has shown decent hands as a receiver. all things you look for in your FB metrics. IMO adding Howell as a FB in a 21 personnel set, would do more than to continue to use Kupp as a lead blocker or a second TE. But that would signal a return to the possession-oriented offense. But in reality with Kupp and Jefferson as his outside receivers, he would still have that deep option, especially running them on deep routes if they play a one-deep alignment.

On pass plays it would give McVay, 4 receivers with Jefferson and Kupp deep, Higbee medium, and Howell short with their very good pass blocking Michel held in if needed. All they would need is to coach up Howell as a FB. As long as McVay stays with his 11 personnel alignment as his primary set it will limit what they can do in the run game. His 12 personnel is a dead giveaway he's going to run. 21 personnel gives them a stronger run attack but doesn't weaken Stafford's pass options. It will force defenses into their base set and with LA's receivers, that's advantage Rams.

With Michel, Henderson, and Funk as the primary RBs, then adding a FB makes sense. If a DC sees 21 personnel he will stay in his base set. But if McVay shifts one of those 3 RBs into the slot suddenly the defense is outmatched if it's Henderson or Funk. Both can outrun the vast majority of LBs and I don't see any DC dropping his safeties into the box with Kupp and Woods outside. IMO it's time for the next evolution of McVay's offense. Considering how well Sony pass protects, McVay could use him as a lead blocker or extra pass protector with Henderson running pass routes. There is a lot more McVay can do with the offensive players he has.

People have been saying this team will only go as far as the OL allows. Well the OL has arrived and is playing at an elite level in their pass protection. This is why IMO this is a legit SB combination of QB and OL. Morris simply needs to learn from this Seattle game that he's got elite talent on this defense when used properly. They dominated Seattle until he backed off when Wilson went out. That made no sense.