TNF - Rams at Seahawks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Some random thoughts after reading this thread post-game...

1. You guys are funny as hell. You don't mean to be but goddamn you are. I was laughing the entire time in fact, reading the gameday thread after the game is way better than contributing to the madness.

2. Both sides of the ball pre-snap seem lost. The offense has to run the goddamn clock to 0 or worse just about every snap and change every play it seems at the LOS. The defense has one or two guys running around like a fast-forwarded Benny Hill clip every snap too. I get that Seattle's a loud environment but come the fuck on. Sometimes as coaches you can make shit harder than it needs to be. Rams strike me as a team that is at the very least encroaching on that line.

3. Stafford's problems are not his finger. You can see in his reads at times he's simply not getting through them. He is unsure and it's spilling over into his confidence and throws. Some plays it's him trying to control the safety with his eyes and he runs out of time from the pressure but you don't have to do that shit on every down. He's definitely had the jitters in two games now though. I hope it's a mix of the pressure he's feeling of moving to a team that is in big games every week, as well as maybe he doesn't have this offense as down as it seemed in the first few games. IMO he can offer a lot more in this offense.

That said, he and the offense did get the job done. When we needed the drives they delivered and as usual they make it look easy when things are clicking. Offense probably should have put up 40 points tonight and would have with better QB throws and better FG kicks.

4. Defense played well in a lot of ways tonight. But as mentioned above there's a lot of confusion and I wonder what will happen when rat boy gameplans vs Morris. I am terrified.

5. Rochell will get better. He had the right idea on that TD he gave up, he just needs to remember he's in the NFL now. You can't stop and turn when you're covering a giant stud WR like Metcalf. Flow with him and turn the head dude.

6. I can't believe how poorly Williams is playing in this scheme. Zero anticipation. Where are his instincts he showed over and over last season?

7. Fortunately there is time to get this team playing better and tonight was a big step forward. That was a pretty fucking big win right there too so very happy.

MachS

Hall of Fame
D Will ankle injury sucks but let's be honest he's been super bad this year. Maybe Rochelle and Long getting more snaps helps accelerate their development.

What really concerns me is Floyd getting a lower body injury on the last play of the game. Just unbelievable. And Staffords finger too scares me a bit. I know he settled in late and played well in the 2nd half with it, but still hope he can get back to 100%.

Also I really hope McVay sits down with Morris and gives him a wakeup call. This defensive scheme and play calling is not good enough to get to where we want to go. We won't beat elite teams with them playing how
they are now

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Robert Woods got 150 yds tonight with 12 catches ....wow he does still live in the Ramsville! offense!

This defense secondary just scares me something bad.

Is Rapp really this bad?

Last edited:

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Robert Woods got 150 yds tonight with 12 catches ....wow he does still live in the Ramsville! offense!

This defense secondary just scares me something bad.
Woods is gold. He needs to be recognized more. Which made my argument that we got an elite squad. Just need to utilize what we got.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Cameron DaSilva
Fri, October 8, 2021, 12:35 AM·5 min read

050a03d3845f233335d1e1f115d46657

The Rams only had a few days to prepare for the Seahawks before heading up to Seattle on Wednesday morning for a prime-time matchup in Week 5. The short turnaround came at a good time, however, following Sunday’s ugly loss to the Cardinals.

They didn’t start this game well, either, scoring just three points in the first half, but they turned things around in the third and fourth quarters with an offensive outburst. The end result was a 26-17 win on the road and a 4-1 record after five weeks.

Here’s what we learned from Thursday night’s victory.

No. 3 cornerback spot remains an issue

The Rams tried to change things up at cornerback by benching David Long Jr. and inserting Robert Rochell into the starting lineup. It didn’t do much to solve the woes in the secondary, unfortunately. Rochell was called for defensive pass interference on a deep shot to Tyler Lockett, and he also gave up a touchdown to DK Metcalf in coverage.

Long came into the game when Darious Williams injured his ankle late in the fourth quarter, but a starting lineup of Jalen Ramsey, Long and Rochell is not something the Rams want at cornerback. They need Rochell or Long to step up, even if Williams winds up being fine. Otherwise, quarterbacks will continue to pick on that No. 3 cornerback with success.
Matthew Stafford shows great resilience after early struggles

Stafford was not sharp in the first half. He overthrew a few passes, threw an ugly interception in the end zone and was missing receivers on throws that he would ordinarily make. It was not a pretty performance from the quarterback to begin the game, but as he did against the Colts, he showed resilience in the second half.

He finished the night with 365 yards and a touchdown, consistently making sharp throws 20 yards down the field to the likes of Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp. When the Rams were down 7-3 after halftime, he led them to two touchdown drives on consecutive possessions, which spanned a total of 178 yards – 3 more yards than they had in the entire first half.
Running game excels once again

As good as Stafford was, the running game had a ton of success, too. Darrell Henderson Jr. rushed for 82 yards on 17 carries, including a 5-yard touchdown. His 29-yard run was a big play in the game, too, showing good vision and balance through the hole. It was his second straight game with at least 80 yards rushing.

Sony Michel looked confident, too. He had 37 yards on 11 carries, which isn’t terribly impressive stat line but he had a 15-yard run up the middle and also a walk-in touchdown to put the Rams up 23-14 in the fourth quarter.

The offensive line showed good physicality when the Rams ran the ball, which was encouraging. The Rams should still be a pass-first offense because that’s what has had the most success, but Henderson and Michel were nice complements on the ground.
Halftime adjustments made all the difference

The Rams had 175 yards in the first half. They scored three points and looked lost on offense. In the second half, it was a completely different team. They had 301 yards on only 31 plays, an average of 9.7 yards per play. They put up 23 points and had four scoring drives in the final 30 minutes, moving the ball easily against this Seahawks defense.

Obviously, whatever McVay told his players in the locker room worked because there were explosive plays, better throws from Stafford and better protection up front. Prior to this win, the Rams were 1-15 when trailing by at least four points at halftime under McVay, so it was a big comeback victory after trailing at the half.

Robert Woods is still a key offensive player

There was some sense that Stafford was forcing the ball to Cooper Kupp in the first four games, resulting in a lack of opportunities for Woods in the passing game. Woods said he talked to McVay about his role this week and McVay said he would get Woods more involved, which came to fruition on Thursday night.

Woods was targeted 14 times, catching 12 passes for 150 yards. He led the team in all three categories against Seattle, showing that good things happen when the ball is thrown his way. He was making plays all over the field, too, whether it was underneath or on deep crossers over the middle. Woods should be a reliable target for Stafford moving forward because he’s plenty good enough to warrant at least eight-plus targets a game.
Rams are generating pressure, but they must finish plays

The Rams are finding ways to pressure opposing quarterbacks. They’re just failing to finish plays too often. Whether it was Carson Wentz escaping and throwing a bomb in Week 2 or Kyler Murray evading multiple sacks last week, defenders are coming up short when getting near the quarterback.

That happened too often against the Seahawks. Sebastian Joseph-Day pressured Wilson out of the pocket in the first half, but he found DK Metcalf for a 25-yard gain. Leonard Floyd let Wilson slip through his grasp multiple times, too, which could’ve resulted in some pretty big losses.

With Terrell Lewis now a starter, the pressure is there. The Rams just need the sacks and tackles for a loss to follow.

TexasRam

Legend

1. You guys are funny as hell. You don't mean to be but goddamn you are. I was laughing the entire time in fact, reading the gameday thread after the game is way better than contributing to the madness.

2. Both sides of the ball pre-snap seem lost. The offense has to run the goddamn clock to 0 or worse just about every snap and change every play it seems at the LOS. The defense has one or two guys running around like a fast-forwarded Benny Hill clip every snap too. I get that Seattle's a loud environment but come the fuck on. Sometimes as coaches you can make shit harder than it needs to be. Rams strike me as a team that is at the very least encroaching on that line.

3. Stafford's problems are not his finger. You can see in his reads at times he's simply not getting through them. He is unsure and it's spilling over into his confidence and throws. Some plays it's him trying to control the safety with his eyes and he runs out of time from the pressure but you don't have to do that shit on every down. He's definitely had the jitters in two games now though. I hope it's a mix of the pressure he's feeling of moving to a team that is in big games every week, as well as maybe he doesn't have this offense as down as it seemed in the first few games. IMO he can offer a lot more in this offense.

That said, he and the offense did get the job done. When we needed the drives they delivered and as usual they make it look easy when things are clicking. Offense probably should have put up 40 points tonight and would have with better QB throws and better FG kicks.

4. Defense played well in a lot of ways tonight. But as mentioned above there's a lot of confusion and I wonder what will happen when rat boy gameplans vs Morris. I am terrified.

5. Rochell will get better. He had the right idea on that TD he gave up, he just needs to remember he's in the NFL now. You can't stop and turn when you're covering a giant stud WR like Metcalf. Flow with him and turn the head dude.

6. I can't believe how poorly Williams is playing in this scheme. Zero anticipation. Where are his instincts he showed over and over last season?

7. Fortunately there is time to get this team playing better and tonight was a big step forward. That was a pretty fucking big win right there too so very happy.
Some good takes.

Staffords issues are probably related to being still new to the system combined with the fact that he is a little busy with his eyes and feet at times. Getting used to how WRs are running their routes will be important for anticipating where to put the ball. I think people also need to realize while he has a huge arm he often throws fastballs that are hard to handle and does have some inconsistencies with accuracy. The last 3 games show this. Fortunately when he gets hot he can stay hot. 4 straight scores in the second half. He does show that pkaymaking ability in crunch time.

Regarding Rochell, he did make some plays, not bad for first extended action. Got fooled by Locket and Metcalf. But why is he on them in the first place with no help?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Los Angeles Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald has been a dominant force since entering the league as the 13th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft.

Since then, he has become a three-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year, six-time first-team All-Pro and seven-time Pro Bowler. While he is well in the midst of establishing himself as one of the greatest players in NFL history, he continued to make his mark in franchise lore.

With his sack on Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson on Thursday night, Donald has now surpassed Leonard Little as the franchise’s all-time sack leader with 88.5, via the team’s official website:

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1446302143863042065

It took Donald significantly less time than Little to reach the number as he did it in 32 fewer games. Of course, this hardly comes as any surprise considering he is the best pass-rusher of his generation, despite working primarily from the inside.

The fact that Donald secured the record with a sack on Wilson is fitting since the bulk of his numbers have come against the Seahawks star. It is safe to say that he has come to enjoy his twice-a-year matchups with the Rams divisional rivals.

Aside from his sack numbers, Donald has also registered 20 forced fumbles and 136 tackles for a loss in his career. The 30-year-old still has ample time to increase his mark so that it stands the test of time. Given how much he has meant to this team over the last decade, he has a chance to make it an all-time number that is rivaled by only the best pass rushers in league history.

For now, Donald is focused on adding an elusive Super Bowl ring to his trophy case. Even if his legacy as one of the best to ever do it is solidified, he is motivated to find a way to improve with each season.

Donald’s record-breaking night came in a win as while it wasn’t pretty, the Rams went on the road and defeated the division-rival Seahawks, 26-17

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

#3 - If anything, Stafford was getting through his reads too fast. Also, the loud stadium had a little to do with it. He had a lot of changing of plays at the LOS.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Also, just rewatched the highlights and the Kupp shoulder happened when he caught the ball at the 1 prior to Michel running the ball in.

Hopefully, it's minor.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've felt for years that McVay was doing this for some reason and it was always resulting in the Rams being close to a delay of game or burning time outs. People felt it was him in the headset talking to Goff but it's still going on and you can't tell me he's in the headset talking to Stafford until the cut off. Something with McVay is doing that on offense.

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
Good play callers can cover up mediocre QB play with the first 10-15 plays of their script. But once you get to the 2nd half, the training wheels come off. It’s a good sign that Stafford gets better as the game goes on and the bullets really start flying. I also don’t see the slow starts being a long term thing. It’ll get better as the chemistry continues to develop.

Psycho_X

Legend
Los Angeles Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald has been a dominant force since entering the league as the 13th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft.

Since then, he has become a three-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year, six-time first-team All-Pro and seven-time Pro Bowler. While he is well in the midst of establishing himself as one of the greatest players in NFL history, he continued to make his mark in franchise lore.

With his sack on Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson on Thursday night, Donald has now surpassed Leonard Little as the franchise’s all-time sack leader with 88.5, via the team’s official website:

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1446302143863042065

It took Donald significantly less time than Little to reach the number as he did it in 32 fewer games. Of course, this hardly comes as any surprise considering he is the best pass-rusher of his generation, despite working primarily from the inside.

The fact that Donald secured the record with a sack on Wilson is fitting since the bulk of his numbers have come against the Seahawks star. It is safe to say that he has come to enjoy his twice-a-year matchups with the Rams divisional rivals.

Aside from his sack numbers, Donald has also registered 20 forced fumbles and 136 tackles for a loss in his career. The 30-year-old still has ample time to increase his mark so that it stands the test of time. Given how much he has meant to this team over the last decade, he has a chance to make it an all-time number that is rivaled by only the best pass rushers in league history.

For now, Donald is focused on adding an elusive Super Bowl ring to his trophy case. Even if his legacy as one of the best to ever do it is solidified, he is motivated to find a way to improve with each season.

Donald’s record-breaking night came in a win as while it wasn’t pretty, the Rams went on the road and defeated the division-rival Seahawks, 26-17

Man I was ramping up being so mad that Leonard Floyd let Wilson out of his grasp and then out of no where Aaron Donald....

Miley Cyrus Rotum GIF

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So is everyone still alive? Figured some of you may have slit your wrists reading the posts during the game. How is that fun?

I would suggest some of you calm the fuck down during the game and not post shit like, "so and so sucks", "he's garbage", etc... Remember, the rules of the board still apply to game day threads.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I don't want to start a separate thread on Stafford for just this, so I'll put it here.

Stafford's just a little out of whack and maybe a little too hyped right now. As has been pointed out and even referred to by some on here and McVay.. he could actually check down a little more.
Once he settles down.. and utilizes those easy conversions for first downs? The Rams offense will truly be unstoppable, imo. I think it's just execution, at this point, and I think he'll get it soon.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I don't want to start a separate thread on Stafford for just this, so I'll put it here.

Stafford's just a little out of whack and maybe a little too hyped right now. As has been pointed out and even referred to by some on here and McVay.. he could actually check down a little more.
Once he settles down.. and utilizes those easy conversions for first downs? The Rams offense will truly be unstoppable, imo. I think it's just execution, at this point, and I think he'll get it soon.

For the Thursday game it's tough to distinguish whether his finger was troubling him to the point where those under-throws may have been the result, although as the game proceeds, he seems to adjust just fine. Since these early game under-throws appear more regular lately, I wonder if his pre-game preparation is doing him justice, is he taking enough practice prior to the game to loosen up that arm of his ?