Titans GM: Trade interest is increasing for NFL Draft's No. 1 pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I hear ya - but in the end the Titans have to do what's best for the Titans. If an RGIII offer never comes, and yet an offer somewhat south of that IS on the table - taking that offer may still be best for the team. And that's what I think will happen.

It sounds like the 9ers, Rams, and Eagles are all kicking the tires right now.
Fair enough. It would be hard to turn down a decent offer, but I don't know how far they'll deviate from the haul we got for a team to move up to #2 overall. I may be reaching here, but I think NFL GM's want to be the smartest guys in the room. In every room. And if they (TEN) settle for less than that (Snead's haul), then they'll appear weak in that particular circle. Just a theory.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
If we don't have to have that single guy, say we like both, then we wouldn't have to get into that bidding war at #1. The war would take one team out of contention, and maybe another team might not like what is left. Then we could trade up, and get a guy at a way cheaper rate.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
If we don't have to have that single guy, say we like both, then we wouldn't have to get into that bidding war at #1. The war would take one team out of contention, and maybe another team might not like what is left. Then we could trade up, and get a guy at a way cheaper rate.

With Cleveland at 2 - I think you are choosing between getting your #1 QB at 1 or getting your #3 QB. I know it's possible Clevland doesn't go QB but you have to plan as if they will.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Fair enough. It would be hard to turn down a decent offer, but I don't know how far they'll deviate from the haul we got for a team to move up to #2 overall. I may be reaching here, but I think NFL GM's want to be the smartest guys in the room. In every room. And if they (TEN) settle for less than that (Snead's haul), then they'll appear weak in that particular circle. Just a theory.

It's a good theory. But a successful GM wouldn't let ego get in the way of helping their team. But - you may be right - they may not be able to help themselves.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
They have to weigh is Laremy Tunsil another Greg Robinson? I mean he's a dancing bear no doubt, but GRob only now looks like he's about to turn the corner having come from that spread offense.

Is Ramsey worth the #1? Is he that much better than the 4-5 guys beneath him who may go in the first round?

I dunno. Cuz if Tunsil is another GRob but just gets there a bit faster, I sure wouldn't want to spend a #1 on him. I'd try to find better value later and leverage that pick to its fullest.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Seems to me that many of these "consensus top LT's" that have been drafted in the top 3 haven't really panned out the last several years. Used to be a much safer pick.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seems to me that many of these "consensus top LT's" that have been drafted in the top 3 haven't really panned out the last several years. Used to be a much safer pick.
IMO that's tied in with the QB's. Spread offense and spread blocking scheme, they aren't playing the LT in college like they used to for the most part.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think it would take a RG3 haul to get Tennessee to trade - but keep in mind the Rams would not be trading the #6 pick plus everything else either. In this draft the #6 pick would get one of the top position players, especially if two QBs are taken early. Tennessee could easily decide that moving down for several good picks would make sense in that scenario. But the Rams would be trading #15 - still a good player, but not one of the elite in this draft class. So they would likely require significantly more to move down.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
They have to weigh is Laremy Tunsil another Greg Robinson? I mean he's a dancing bear no doubt, but GRob only now looks like he's about to turn the corner having come from that spread offense.

Is Ramsey worth the #1? Is he that much better than the 4-5 guys beneath him who may go in the first round?

I dunno. Cuz if Tunsil is another GRob but just gets there a bit faster, I sure wouldn't want to spend a #1 on him. I'd try to find better value later and leverage that pick to its fullest.
I agree with your last sentence fully.

On the Ramsey question.....most likely not but IMO you will get an instant starter in your secondary @ many of the DB posts......start in the Nickle or deep safety or strong safety or at either outside corner posts.....hard to find players like this. Myles Jack is another how would fall into this type of instant reward....where the OLT will have some nasty moments for your QB in his rookie season. But I need to remind myself that a UDFA LSU OLT ended up starting for the Cowboys too.
Yes would would be correct most of those Left Tackles are fighting to be free of the fail mode:
Matt Kalil- Perennial underachiever
Eric Fisher- Now in his 4th season as overall #1 looks to have finally turned corner.
Luke Joechel-Fail Mode
Lane Johnson- Now in his 4th season & still playing right OT
DJ Fluker- Moved to OG
Jake Matthews- inj more than healthy 3rd season & hoping ZBS will greatly assist him
Zack Martin- Moved to OG
Lewan Taylor- moved to Right OT
Brandon Scherff-Moved to OG
Andrius Peat-never saw the field

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Will Brinson | NFL Writer
April 11, 2016 8:18 am ET

http://sports.yahoo.com/m/e72d6e0b-...0285a9/ss_titans-reportedly-have-a.html?nhp=1

2016_NFL_Draft_Rumors_Titans_Trade_Top_Pick_Eagles.jpg

The Titans reportedly have a "solid offer" for the No. 1 overall pick. But from who? That's the beauty of draft season unfolding the way it does, with smokescreens abounding and rumors floating every which way.

One personnel person told Peter King of TheMMQB.com the Titans have received the "solid offer" already and are still contemplating a potential move down in the draft.

The source in question didn't reveal what team it was, but the Eagles are the speculative team here, "because Roseman trades, and going from eight to one is onerous but possible in terms of price tag."

The Robert Griffin III price tag -- three No. 1 picks -- isn't on the table because it'll never be on the table again until some special quarterback is available in such a spot.

But it also sounds like the deal isn't quite to Tennessee's liking: it needs to be "sweetened" a bit before the Titans are willing to move down.

Which is why the Eagles also make sense. If we're talking about a move to somewhere in the No. 2 to No. 5 range, there wouldn't be much sweetening to be done. Take the picks, move down and basically get the same player.

Ozzie Newsome and the Ravens aren't trading out up from No. 6 and it's hard to imagine the 49ers giving up a ton of picks to move up when Trent Baalke likes to collect them.

So the Eagles are a logical fit to make a play up the board. Not to mention these two teams already swapped once -- Roseman shipped DeMarco Murrayto the Titans earlier this offseason for a very negligible price. So he and Tennessee GM Jon Robinson have a history of working together.

If Philly makes a play up to the top pick, it's got to be so they can land a quarterback. Carson Wentz, given his ties to the Browns at No. 2, makes the most sense. The Eagles have Sam Bradford and Chase Daniel, so they'd be heavily committed at the position.

For the Titans a play down to No. 8 isn't crazy either. I mocked them trading down with the 49ers earlier this offseason, and they're in a position where they can get Ronnie Stanley or Myles Jack assuming Goff and Wentz both go early (and depending on Jack's medical re-check this week). And that was without Ezekiel Elliott going in the top 10.

If the Titans don't see Laremy Tunsil as a "must-have prospect" and are looking to add draft picks, the move is a pretty smart one because the prospect dropoff won't be that crazy.

The Eagles -- or whoever -- have to pony up on that sweetener, though.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Them why did they spend a third round pick on Mannion?
As a Brett Hundley guy...still have no clue...I liked what he did his jr year....but his last year, man was he horrible. and I really like guys that can scramble....and he's terrible at that...
my only guess is he's really smart, and is a career backup, future coach....and a nice guy...seriously....

@OldSchool

funny stuff...Cook is better than Mannion...c'mon man, you gotta admit that...Here's one of those sources that I trust in the media....
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...-is-talking-about-wont-last-long-in-nfl-draft

Connor Cook, the QB no one is talking about, won't last long in NFL Draft
April 11, 2016

The draft is less than three weeks away and there is the usual, persistent buzz about the perceived top two quarterbacks available: Carson Wentz and Jared Goff. There is also intrigue surrounding 6-foot-7 Paxton Lynch and much public hand-wringing over the swoon of Christian Hackenberg. But when it comes to Connor Cook, who by many accounts is the most tested and pro-ready quarterback in this draft, there's nearly complete silence, from the scouring community and media.

Hmm.

In fact, until former Super Bowl-winning head coach and noted quarterback guru Jon Gruden began openly gushing about Cook on ESPN last week, and exclaiming out loud what some scouts and execs had been whispering about the quarterback for quite some time, it was difficult to find much being said or reported about the former Michigan State star anywhere outside of East Lansing. Seemed a little fishy to me. And after spending a week sniffing around on the situation, and speaking with numerous accomplished evaluators who don't have a dog in this fight (i.e. they are not going to be taking a quarterback on the first two days of this draft), I am more convinced than ever that Cook is going to be selected higher than many would want you to believe.

The kid with the NFL frame and the most decorated college passer of the bunch who played against the best competition of the group and won the most games of any of them (and in the history of his school) and who stayed out of trouble during five years on campus and led his team to the College Football Playoff this winter and won the Johnny Unitas award is getting virtually no pub and flying completely under the radar. Meanwhile, every visit or move the other quarterbacks make is seemingly being dissected by the media, scouts, general managers and coaches. Interesting.

Looks like a classic case of teams hoping a prospect is there for them to pounce on, of them publically sleeping on someone who has caught their eye, and of them being perfectly content to do whatever they can to ensure that perception -- "he's maybe the fourth-best quarterback in the draft" -- becomes reality. Only I'm not buying that it plays out that way, and neither are several NFL people I trust.

There is at least one team mulling a move up from the second round to the late first round to grab Cook if he is there. Several teams -- again, teams who are not going to be drafting passers high enough to grab Cook -- have him rated the second-best quarterback in the draft on their boards, according to league sources -- and Cook's itinerary has been as full as any of the quarterbacks in this draft. In all likelihood, he is not going to go in the top 10, as Goff and Wentz very well may, but I wouldn't be shocked at all to see him be the third quarterback selected, and for that pick to come in the first round.

"We like him, we like him a lot, actually," said an executive from a team that has Cook as the second-best quarterback in the draft. "We have him right up there with the other two or three (quarterbacks), actually even higher than a few of them. We like the kid a lot. We don't think there is a whole lot separating some of these quarterbacks and Cook is the most ready to play. Goff, look at his tape against Utah, it's not pretty. And Wentz, there is a lot to like there, but he needs to go somewhere and sit for a year or two and develop. If Cleveland takes him at two that is going to be a disaster. There aren't any sure things at this position -- really at most of the skill positions in this draft -- and Cook is definitely high up in that quarterback mix for us."

Another scout who has spent abundant time on the quarterbacks in this draft said: "We're not going to end up taking him, but there are plenty of people in our building who like him as much as the other two. I don't see him going in the top 15 picks, but after that he is in play. There is a lot to like there, he played in a pro-style offense, he can handle the big stage. He has some things he needs to tighten up and work on -- like all of the quarterbacks in this draft -- but overall I like him." Cook has some impressive qualities, for sure.

At 6-4, 220, with good speed and athleticism, the frame is there, as are the bloodlines, with both his parents and his sister accomplished athletes as well. He played for a strong college prep program in high school, he's fought through injuries at times to play, he's faced elite competition in the Big 10 and thrived to become one of the most decorated quarterbacks in Michigan State history, a program that has recently produced NFL startersKirk Cousins and Brian Hoyer. He threw for 3,131 yards with 24 touchdowns and seven interceptions as a senior, and was named the MVP of the 2013 and 2015 Big 10 Championship games. Yet somehow he's become the Rodney Dangerfield of this quarterback class, seemingly unable to get much respect -- at least overt respect -- through the pre-draft process.

None of this is lost on Cook, of course. How could it be? This is the longest, most-drawn out, highest-profile job audition possible, with every nuance scrutinized across all platforms. So while the Ohio native is focused on the task at hand, it would be impossible not to notice what is -- and this case, is not -- being said about you. The decided lack of buzz about Cook, in the end, could very well be a good thing, though in real-time it's understandably puzzling.

"I hear it, I hear it for sure," Cook said of what's being said about the quarterbacks, "and I respect those guys a lot. I respect Goff and Wentz and Hackenberg and Lynch and all of those guys. But I think I played against really good competition and I played in some big-time games on some big-time stages with a lot of stuff riding on it -- seasons riding on it; championships riding on it -- and I think I played pretty well in those types of game. And to be considered the fourth-best quarterback, I don't really understand why. If it's scouts or coaches, I don't know, I'm obviously not with them watching the film. Maybe it's my completion percentage, maybe that's it. But I think I have the resume to be a first rounder."

The reality is, on the prescient metrics, Cooks grades quite well. He's studied the situation himself, including researching what Hall of Fame Coach Bill Parcells valued most when evaluating college quarterbacks. Once again, Cook checks virtually every box, and most of them probably merit a gold star sticker as well.

"If you look at the Bill Parcells rules to draft a quarterback I think I measure up pretty well," Cook said after completing a visit with the Buffalo Bills over the weekend and driving to visit his girlfriend in Pittsburgh for a brief respite from his circuit of NFL teams. "He should be a college graduate and start at least 30 games (Cook graduated last year with a degree in media and information) and I started 40. He must have 23 wins; I have well over 23 wins (Cook was 35-5 as a starter). He must have a completion percentage over 60 percent; that's the only thing I don't have (Cook completed 57.6 percent of his passes as a starter).

"If you look at his other rules he has to be at least a three-year starter. I did that. So he has to be consistent, and it wasn't like I had just one good year. I proved myself each year I played and I got better as a junior than as a sophomore, and I was better as a senior than I was my junior year. So I don't know why there isn't more talk and I'm not one to be boastful or anything, but this is important stuff, this is the NFL Draft and I am a competitor and I want to be the best. And when people talk about me in a negative way it does upset me, but you can't do anything about it, and I think I've earned every bit to be considered a first-round draft pick."

Some have lazily ascribed Cook's low-key run up to the draft to the fact that he wasn't a team captain, but that's not anything that has resonated with the scouts and evaluators I spoke to. Several scouts who have dealt directly with Cook said they have been very impressed with his personality, some coordinators have raved internally about his demeanor following his visits there. He's also a kid who gave his MVP trophy of the Big 10 Championship to his offensive linemen to parade around the team hotel after their defeat of Iowa, and someone who was clearly one of the leaders and premier players on one of the best college football teams in the country.

"The team captain thing is totally overblown, totally overblown," said one scout who has done extensive work in the Big 10 and on Michigan State in particular. "(All-American center)Jack Allen is the alpha male of that program. Period. There was no way he wasn't going to be named the offensive team captain. He is the toughest guy there.

"You wanna know somebody else who wasn't a team captain in college? I'll give you a hint -- it's somebody you work with ... Boomer Esiason. You think he wasn't a tough guy? You don't think he was a leader? It was just the same sort of situation with him at Maryland at the time, and that's a Pro Bowl quarterback. I'm not saying Cook doesn't have some things he needs to work on, but not beating out Jack Allen as offensive team captain isn't an issue for me at all."

Cook's profile received a boost last week when he went down to Orlando to be grilled by Gruden as part of his annual examination of the top quarterbacks in the draft. And it quickly became evident what the offensive savant thought of Cook. Gruden proclaimed him the best QB in this draft, and expressed his dismay why he isn't in play with the top pick.

"This is awesome man, this is great stuff, you seed the whole field," Gruden said at one point while reviewing film with Cook, in a way that only Chuckie can. "My pass offense got better by meeting you, Cook."

Gruden clearly has a soft spot for quarterbacks in general, but he raved about Cook's prowess in a way reserved for very few. "You started making plays that really weren't there -- not just making system plays ... making plays that I've never seen before … Your mentality playing the quarterback position is different than any kid I've had in here in three years."

Of all the praise coming his way, what had Cook beaming about most was when Gruden referred to him as a "gunslinger" -- Gruden, you'll recall, worked with a young Brett Favre, the quintessential slinger of them all, in Green Bay. "Coach Gruden is a great guy, he's really funny, and he seemed to really like me for whatever reason," Cook said. But there was no time to revel in that.

From Orlando it was back to campus on East Lansing for about 12 hours (about long enough to do some laundry) and then Cook had visits with the Ravens and Bills before a weekend of respite in Pittsburgh and then back to the grind. Cook begins a visit with theDallas Cowboys on Monday, then heads to Miami to meet the Dolphins on Tuesday, then he is with the Denver Broncos on Wednesday and with the San Francisco 49ers on Thursday.

He has already met with the Cleveland Browns -- where offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton handed him a bundle of pass plays, run plays and protections to study for 15 minutes and then saw how many Cook could recall and correctly draw up on the board. "That was a cool challenge and I thought I did pretty well," Cook said. And following the visit with the 49ers, Cook has trips with the Jets and Bears scheduled as well, and then a workout for the Rams.

Literally every team in the market for a quarterback of the present, or the future, has done at least some amount of work on him – some more exhaustive than others – and when draft day finally comes around, I doubt that Cook remains a forgotten man anymore. Certainly not for as long as some would have you believe. He may not go as high as Gruden would draft him, but then again, this time of year you never really know.

"I'm just going with the flow at this point and trying not to get too caught up in where I go," Cook said. "Obviously, I want to be drafted in the first round, but it's all about going to the right team as opposed to what round and what pick you are. If I can go to team with a good coaching staff and I am lucky enough to go to good organization, I'll be very happy."

Andrius Peat-never saw the field
Wasn't he getting misused by JJ Watt one game this year? I swear his legs look like my legs feel..Like mush...LOLOLOL!!!!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@LACHAMP46
I don't see anything that screams out to me get this guy he'll be a good QB. I see Shaun Hill. If we end up with him I'll root him on just like everybody else in the uniform and hope I'm wrong. But if I had a preference he's clearly #4 and behind 1-3 a good margin. That's my preference, I came into this past year hoping Cook would kick butt and the Rams would take him but watching him this year I don't think he progressed at all from his Junior to Senior season.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I see Shaun Hill
OUCH!!!!! I'm heading to the tables on that one....LOL!!!! I'm old enough to remember, barely, a young Shaun Hill....wasn't bad...but damn did he turn into something terrible....LOL!!!!
I saw enough of Cook against some serious teams...he had almost 0 talent....0 pro talent at the skill positions....and Burnbridge is garbage to me....I tried to imagine him with Bama, Oregon, or the Ohio State...he throws the deep ball a lot.... I like that.. He made the games, well most of them look easy...And he plays hurt...His combine cemented that he's a good athlete...Dantoni at Mich. St. is top notch recruiter/coach and he only has good things to say about him.

I'd rather have one of the top 3 QB's too....but I'm confident this kid won't screw up more than Foles/Keenum...And I know he's better than Mannion right now....and he can only get better.... Right?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
They were discussing on Sirius this afternoon that there were rumors floating around Titans got a solid offer for 1 overall. Kirwan quipped: "if true that means they'll be using it to try to get a better offer."

I then suffered through a depressing discussion between them and a Dolphins fan how there's little chance they could move up to 1 for a QB due to cost and the Titans wanting to come out of the draft with a LT. Of course we all know the Fins wouldn't do that, but what I found depressing is that the Dolphins draft two spots ahead of us. They went on to discuss the whiners at 7 as lowest that the Titans would probably go.

:cry:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Would anyone tell me why the Eagles would sign these two QB's, and move up to draft a Wentz/Goff? Why is Cleveland grabbing RGIII, then still taking a QB with that roster? Didn't Hue run off 8 starters on a 2-14 team????? What am I missing?