The Super Bowl Hangover

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
There is seemingly some truth to it (although I think more on the side of the winning team than the losing team) and after the Rams performance I expect to hear a lot of that kind of chatter from talking heads with space to fill and clicks totals to reach. Especially if they lose in Week One or Two. Which will also bring up the New Orleans game too and the "well they shouldn't have been there" chatter.

But for me..........I'm not that concerned about it with this team for a few reasons.

It's a young team, and so I sense that they are disappointed, but will leave it in the rear view mirror.

McVay has a knack, in part because of his age, of being able to effectively communicate with players so IMO he will keep them focused week to week. I'd be willing to be that he won't even allow for and talk about the game, and if comes up he'll shoot it right down.

Another reason is Wade Phillips. He's been around a LONG time to say the least and I think he will be a steadying force. He's been on the losing end a few times and I think that'll help add perspective.

Still another is Goff. He has improved each year both in college and the NFL. The record may be one game worse at 12-4 but a lot of 12-4 teams get to the SB. I think the adversity of the post season will help shape him going forward. He played below his best by a fair margin, and while he did make some great throws, he struggled too.

Lastly, though these thoughts are in no particular order, is the general feeling that I think that McVay and Snead have. I always get the sense that this tandem wants a SB win as fast as they can get it. It's why Snead has been so fearless in the draft and with free agents. They have approached the last two off seasons very aggressively and it's clear they want to build a perennial winner. When I listen to them talk, especially when they are together, I always come away with the feeling "these two are not fucking around".

Your thoughts? We know the hangover thing is going to come up, at least early in the season.

nighttrain

Legend
i see the Rams biggest problem as how to get Henderson enough touches, guy is gonna be a real surprise to our opponents 7
shake rattle & roll
train

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
It's better than thinking about who to draft #1 in next year's draft during voluntary workouts in May.

I'll take worrying about a possible Super Bowl hangover any day.

BTW... how many Super Bowl hangovers have the cheaters had in the last decade?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's better than thinking about who to draft #1 in next year's draft during voluntary workouts in May.

I'll take worrying about a possible Super Bowl hangover any day.

BTW... how many Super Bowl hangovers have the cheaters had in the last decade?

They've had an incredible run lately. 5 SB appearances in the last 8 years. And with the Chefs losing two of their three best players on O the path to #6 got easier.

dang

Legend
Getting to the Super Bowl ain’t easy. Getting back to the Super Bowl seems even harder for all teams not named the Patsies. How have the Pats done it. Excellent coaching. Team first mentality Excellent play from QB. Excellent play in the playoffs. If the Rams get a little better in all these aspects of the game and maintain it then we may have the next dynasty. IF being the key word.

KJD_Ram

Rookie
Getting to the Super Bowl ain’t easy. Getting back to the Super Bowl seems even harder for all teams not named the Patsies. How have the Pats done it. Excellent coaching. Team first mentality Excellent play from QB. Excellent play in the playoffs. If the Rams get a little better in all these aspects of the game and maintain it then we may have the next dynasty. IF being the key word.

Well, playing in a powder puff Division makes the first step of getting in a cake walk...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Well, playing in a powder puff Division makes the first step of getting in a cake walk...

True the division has helped.

But Brady and Belichick have a 30-10 record in the post season. So against the top teams they are playing .750 ball when it counts.

That's truly fantastic. It's the equivalent of a 12 win season against the best teams in the entire NFL.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
True the division has helped.

But Brady and Belichick have a 30-10 record in the post season. So against the top teams they are playing .750 ball when it counts.

That's truly fantastic. It's the equivalent of a 12 win season against the best teams in the entire NFL.

What is their road playoff record? That is why their division is a big part of their success.

Ram65

Legend
I don't see a let down on the Rams part. Great coaching will keep a hungry mix of veterans and young players together. I'm not taking anything for granted. The Rams have a tough schedule against teams that can and have beaten the Rams recently. Every team in the division got better. Rams won close games last year too. Rams will be ready but, so will the teams they play.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I think the Rams youth will actually help here. I the SB hangover seems to affect vet teams that have gotten close year after year, and then when finally make the SB and lose, they really fall off. It's like they realize they blew one of their last chances and they just can't get it cranked up again.

This team is just getting their run going and can now smell it. So I think they are super motivated, no pun intended, to get back there.

It will come down to health... If they stay healthy they have a great shot.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think the Rams youth will actually help here. I the SB hangover seems to affect vet teams that have gotten close year after year, and then when finally make the SB and lose, they really fall off. It's like they realize they blew one of their last chances and they just can't get it cranked up again.

This team is just getting their run going and can now smell it. So I think they are super motivated, no pun intended, to get back there.

It will come down to health... If they stay healthy they have a great shot.

For sure injuries play a big role, and the Rams aren't exactly stacked with depth.

Your point about vet teams that grind for a few seasons to get there is valid, it does take a lot out of a team.

The loss could just as likely serve to motivate them but I suspect McVay is going to make sure the focus is to keep looking forward, that just seems to be his personality.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I am thinking along the same lines as the great @nighttrain touched on. When you look at the rookies coming in I get the sense that Rapp Henderson Long & Gaines will be the juice our team needs to get us over the hump. Henderson will be a weapon, screens bubbles, quick hitters and his splash plays will be a welcome addition.
Then you think about Rapp Gaines and Long adding to our 2nd year guys and theirs a chance for the D to take a massive step in total D and nastiness which I really am looking fwd too!!! These rookies have "it" to get our boys to the next level awesomeness! Think about the energy Gaines and Rapp will have on the rest of the D!!!! Long could be a wildcard and really add to our sub nickel/dime packages w/ his mirror abilities!!!
McVay will keep these guys on lock!!!

Is it Sept yet? LETS GO!!!!!!!!!

200w.gif

Last edited:

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Dolphins went undefeated the next year after losing the SB, so you never know!

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian

Good points. I hate to be a negative nuisance but geez. We HAD the chance to start our dynasty this past February in the superbowl. And against the Patriots who took our superbowl win away in 2001 season. We didn't. EVERYTHING was there for the taking on a grand scale, and we scored 3 points. I STILL cannot get over the terrible feeling of losing another superbowl, and even another time to Brady and the patsies. Spin it how you want guys, it was bad to let that happen.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think his team will be resilient to a hangover... but every week we are going to get the opponents A-game. We will be the measuring stick for them, particularly early on.

I also think our schedule looks tough. I know that could change as the season starts, but on paper it’s a solid schedule.

The NFC looks so much tougher to me. I think all 4 divisions look to be highly competitive.

The AFC? The Patriots will enjoy another ride in the powder puff AFC East. Maybe the Jets will do something, I dunno.... I don’t find the AFC South as particularly daunting either, but much tougher than the East.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Superbowls are hard to get to. I think the Rams have the right people in the right places to put themselves in the best position the next several years. Hopefully the bounces go our way more often than not.