49'ers The San Francisco 49’ers Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
Niners paid McCaffrey too easily making him highest paid RB without a completed contract. This has created much of the problems for them. Both Williams and Aiyuk are asking why him and not me.

Psycho_X

Legend
Let Trent sit out a year, its not like he is close to retirement, lol.
He's 36... it's on his bumper as he looks in the rear view mirror. But yeah, make him sit out the year... I love this. Whiners have some cap issues next season too and they have to figure out how to make Trent highest paid tackle in game probably, pay Aiyuk like a top 5 WR apparently, and pay god knows what Brock Purdy's agent will demand. So sweet.

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- In the hour before the San Francisco 49ers began their Wednesday afternoon practice, coach Kyle Shanahan and general manager John Lynch expressed hope that wide receiver Brandon Aiyuk would participate.

The reason for that unrewarded hope? A clean bill of health for Aiyuk from 49ers team doctors.

But during the roughly 30-minute window in which media is allowed to watch practice, Aiyuk was nowhere to be seen. That brings Aiyuk and the Niners to the latest and perhaps most volatile point in this drawn-out contract dispute.

Before Wednesday, Aiyuk had been considered a "hold in" because he reported to training camp on time and has been attending meetings with the rest of the team. At the time Aiyuk reported, Shanahan said the wideout was dealing with back and neck soreness. Those injuries allowed Aiyuk to avoid practice while not accruing fines of $40,000 per day.

After the Niners trimmed their roster to 53 players Tuesday, Aiyuk was cleared by medical staff, according to Shanahan. That clearance was the driving force behind Shanahan saying he hoped Aiyuk would practice Wednesday, with Lynch later adding that Aiyuk practicing was "the expectation."

Since Aiyuk, whom Lynch said was in the team facility earlier Wednesday, was not at practice, the Niners now have the option to enforce disciplinary action against the receiver. Under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement, once the league switches out of training camp and into regular-season mode, teams can begin fining players for "unexcused missed activities," which would include walk-throughs, curfews, practices and meetings. Those fines can reach up to $16,009 for each activity missed, with a maximum total fine for a single day of $45,769 if a player misses multiple events on the schedule. From there, teams also have the ability to suspend players for conduct detrimental to the team.

Asked Wednesday if they would punish Aiyuk for skipping practices, Lynch and Shanahan declined to say but didn't shut down that possibility.

"I'll deal with that when that happens. If that happens," Shanahan said.

Later, Lynch was asked if the Niners communicated to Aiyuk at any point in the past few weeks that he was expected to practice starting Wednesday.

"I'm not going to get into our communication," Lynch said. "At some point, you've got to play."

Aiyuk has been seeking a lucrative contract extension, whether from the 49ers or another team. He missed all 20 of the 49ers' pre-cut-down practices and three preseason games as he and the team have gone back and forth on multiple scenarios. That includes negotiating a long-term contract extension that would keep Aiyuk in San Francisco for the long haul, as well as trade discussions with other teams, namely the Pittsburgh Steelers, New England Patriots, Cleveland Browns and Washington Commodes.

But so far, none of those discussions has yielded an extension with the Niners or the right combination of trade compensation for the Niners plus financial compensation for Aiyuk to reach a resolution. With the season opener against the New York Jets set for Sept. 9, the clock is ticking on finding common ground. That still could result in a third option for Aiyuk: playing out this season for the Niners on the fifth-year option, which guarantees him $14.124 million.

"Just like I think I've said from the beginning, it's reached a point where all options could happen," Shanahan said. "And nothing has changed on that."

Shanahan also acknowledged that Aiyuk's uncertain status contributed to the Niners keeping seven receivers on the initial 53-man roster. Despite all of the back-and-forth in what has become a stare-down between the sides, Lynch again expressed hope that they can "break through."

"I've seen these things look dire before, and they can quickly turn," Lynch said.
"So that gives you hope, that we've been in these situations before and those things can quickly be forgotten. We will remain hopeful."

Aiyuk isn't the only key player the 49ers are trying to bring back into the fold. Left tackle Trent Williams continued his holdout Wednesday as he is seeking an adjusted contract that provides significant guarantees and elevates him back to the top of the tackle market.

Lynch said there's been "good communication" with Williams and that the Niners are "constantly working" to throw out ideas and find a solution to get the star tackle back in the mix. Unlike Aiyuk, Williams has not reported and he remains on the reserve/did not report list, which means he does not appear on the 53-man roster.

Throughout Williams' absence, Shanahan and Lynch have expressed confidence that the star tackle would return when the time is right. Still, there's an increasing sense of urgency to get Williams back sooner than later with Week 1 rapidly approaching.

"I'm optimistic that things will work out with Trent," Shanahan said. "I'm not sitting here knowing what day it'll be. We're getting close to playing a game, so my mind is completely on preparing for a game without those guys. But yeah, I feel when two sides want to get a deal done, usually it happens."

dang

Legend
So while Aiyuk and Williams standstill “negotiations” have been going on for months, EJs situation emerged and resolved in like 4 days. Sometimes you gotta just rip the bandaid off.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Obviously, rat boy has put together a strong roster for the last several seasons. Arguably the best in the NFL, albeit with no ring :). But rat boy seems to have this blind spot at QB. They had Garappolo, spent 3 1st rounders on Trey Lance, and now they are on the verge of going all in on Purdy (If they give him the big extension $50+ million per season). If Purdy isn't able to lift up the talent around him, the whiner's window will start to close but they'll be on the hook for a huge QB contract, and I believe Bosa and others have huge backloaded contracts which will hurt badly when the piper needs to be paid.
Just looking at the 9ers roster the last few years, how did they not win a Super Bowl or two? I love that 9er fans look at the NFCCG in '21 as the one that got away and the Rams won it. Super Bowl 56 and the way in which we won it is so sweet and surely erases the pain of 1989.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Been to SF sporting Dodger gear at a baseball game. Never had a problem. Last time I was at a football game was when they played at Candlestick Park. That was back in the 80's. I went with a group of Rams fans in a motorhome. I was pretty drunk most the time but I diI remember any problems. And a couple of my buddies were very vocal. We beat them fairly easily that game. Something like 31-17. It was the year before Joe Montana had his breakout year. I think it was 1980. I was in my early 20's at that time.
I loved the Steve DeBerg years in Frisco...lol

dang

Legend
I’m looking forward to a 7-10 season leading to chants of:
“Ratboy. Ratboy. Whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when they come for you!!”

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
That would be great but do you really see that happening?
I don't see it happening. Too much overall talent on the roster. But I can see them taking a step back from what they were the last couple years. Wouldn't surprise me if Detroit ends up the number one seed. They're gonna have a battle in their own division with the Rams.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I don't see it happening. Too much overall talent on the roster. But I can see them taking a step back from what they were the last couple years. Wouldn't surprise me if Detroit ends up the number one seed. They're gonna have a battle in their own division with the Rams.
Superbowl hangover gonna strike

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
How long Trent Williams stays out will have a big impact. I'm also interested in whether a 36 year old not working his way up to the season may be more vulnerable to injury.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Trent Williams should've been suspended last year for tossing that DB on the ground from behind during a team scuffle. Imagine if AD had done that. Niners culture makes it less likely they'll sniff a championship.