49'ers The San Francisco 49’ers Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
From what I read today - Washington is back out again since they will not give up McClauren or a 1st round pick for Aiyuk
I wonder if they were ever really in play.

Hard to imagine them dealing for Aiyuk and then paying him about twice as much as McLaurin. They'd have to move McLaurin to avoid that headache.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Should the 49ers be worried about Brock Purdy after poor preseason outing?​

The Los Angeles Rams will face the San Francisco 49ers in Week 3 of the upcoming regular season. As has been well documented at Turf Show Times, the 49ers are facing a great deal of adversity through training camp and the preseason—and this could cause an early season matchup to tilt into the Rams’ favor.

Trent Williams, probably the NFL’s best tackle, is still holding out of practices as he looks for an adjusted contract. RB Christian McCaffrey has been out with a soft tissue injury. WR Brandon Aiyuk had requested a trade, and at one point it seemed he’d be traded to the Pittsburgh Steelers or Cleveland Browns—but now the latest winds suggest he’ll resign with San Francisco.

All that, and then there’s still a fair amount of mystery surrounding quarterback Brock Purdy’s preparation for 2024.

After the first couple of weeks of camp, I wrote that the third-year quarterback has been battling the interception bug. Those who cover the 49ers regularly put their own spin on the news. Sure, the 49ers haven’t had their usual core in practice together due to injuries and contract disputes. Practice is also the time to test the limits and try new things, which I can respect.

But Purdy’s short stint this past weekend in San Francisco’s preseason game against the New Orleans Saints added more smoke. Whether there’s a true fire underneath remains to be seen.

Purdy dropped back only seven times against New Orleans. He was pressured five times, including a sack. On another pass he was hit as he was thrown, which could be attributed to an average time to throw of 4.06 seconds. Purdy threw away one of his six attempts.

The 49ers pass protection is a concern, but even more concerning is the fact that Pro Football Focus (PFF) credited Purdy with a turnover-worthy play on a throw that harmlessly fell incomplete for San Francisco (clip below). The quarterback’s offensive grade was just 29.2 against the Saints.

View: https://x.com/statsonfire/status/1825525057914913124?s=61&t=lgp1gRmUcyNSF5v7CIHwMg

For those who’d say these preseason reps are meaningless, especially considering that Purdy was on the field without McCaffrey, Aiyuk, Williams, and Ricky Pearsall, I’d counter by asking why he was on the field at all. What did the 49ers hope to get out of these seven drop backs, and was that goal met in this appearance? If San Francisco felt it was important enough to get Purdy a dress rehearsal, we should not hand wave away this outing just because it wasn’t pretty.

You never want to underestimate a team like the 49ers that has a roster built to compete for a championship on an annual basis. While they perennial come up just short of winning the Super Bowl, this team is in the conversation nearly every single year.

If Purdy continues to struggle with turnovers and reverts back to his Mr. Irrelevant status, the offensive line fails to hold up in pass protection, the contract disputes with Aiyuk and WIlliams linger on, and the injury bug bite—or some combination of this adversity—at what point should the 49ers’ concern reach DEFCON 1?

Do you think it’s time for the 49ers to panic about Purdy’s preseason? Let us know what you think about the Rams’ Week 3 matchup against San Francisco in the comments.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
images

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Just the fact they thought they could get Terry McLaurin shows me they’re kooksville.
Was thinking the same thing when I first saw that request. McLaurin already got his deal, so they would get him cheaper, no prorated bonus money. However, they would be expecting Washington to take a 10M dead cap hit and still sign Aiyuk? That took some balls.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Re: Preseason

Leonard Floyd and another DE suffered knee injuries in their last pre-season game. The extent is unknown but they are getting MRIs tomorrow, I believe.

That's why McVay doesn't play starters in meaningless games, save for the punter and kicker.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Was thinking the same thing when I first saw that request. McLaurin already got his deal, so they would get him cheaper, no prorated bonus money. However, they would be expecting Washington to take a 10M dead cap hit and still sign Aiyuk? That took some balls.
I'm guessing the Commodes told the Whiners to fuck off hahahaha

Whiners: We want McLaurin and a 1st for Aiyuk

Commodes:

Star Trek Speech GIF

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
"Goddamn lookit the foot speed and spin on that ball, let's give up 3 first rounders for him!"
~ Lynch
I was just going to bring up Trey Lance and his 5 INT game. They really saw him as some ultimate lottery ticket. Has there ever been a case where a kid played so little in college, was a first round pick and ended up being an NFL star? It doesn't seem likely, especially at QB. They really flaunted the odds with that one.

But I guess if they hadn't, then some other team would have. I'd love to know for certain what Shanahan thought of trading up to get Lance. I read rumors that claimed he never wanted him to begin with. If so, then that must have been an uncomfortable situation for a while.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I was just going to bring up Trey Lance and his 5 INT game. They really saw him as some ultimate lottery ticket. Has there ever been a case where a kid played so little in college, was a first round pick and ended up being an NFL star? It doesn't seem likely, especially at QB. They really flaunted the odds with that one.

But I guess if they hadn't, then some other team would have. I'd love to know for certain what Shanahan thought of trading up to get Lance. I read rumors that claimed he never wanted him to begin with. If so, then that must have been an uncomfortable situation for a while.

The whiners were having difficulty with Kyler Murray and that type of QB was the trend at the time (Lamar Jackson also). So maybe it was to follow the trend?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The whiners were having difficulty with Kyler Murray and that type of QB was the trend at the time (Lamar Jackson also). So maybe it was to follow the trend?

So what they drafted him to be a Practice Squad Player

Lmao - way to go Ratboy!!! You of all people giving him an out & excuse of trading up for such a bust.

The SAD thing is he found a guy who has taking them to a Superbowl & NFC title game where if he didn’t get injured might have taken them to 2 Superbowls.