49'ers The San Francisco 49’ers Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The stupidity is sadly what I have come to expect from Shitter faithful. They have to be one of the most clueless fanbases in the game.
LOL Imagine your team not winning a title in 30 years and posting this shit! Congrats on being able to win when it matters second least, the only lower thing than this mental midget would be bragging about preseason record :D

I tell you what Sparky you can beat us twice a year if we keep winning Super Bowls and you guys go home while we take your prom queen away from you and show her a real good time!

Austin-Powers-fembots.jpg

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
LINK

The 49ers Have a QB Problem: Multiple Options Means SF Doesn't Have the Answer at All​

Technically, the San Francisco 49ers' roster contains four quarterbacks. But on the Super Bowl-or-bust scale by which the 49ers should understandably be viewing their 2023 season, there's a chance that in reality they have none.

That's age-old in the NFL. The ol' "if you have multiple starters, you actually have no starters" expression.

But in this case, it strikes me that 49ers faithful might be under the impression they're better off under center than they actually are based on the odds.

Remember, most quarterbacks don't pan out in the NFL. Even the first round is a crapshoot for entry-level signal-callers. And really, San Francisco is still completely lacking true sustained track records at the professional level at the sport's most critical position.

Trade rumors have swirled around 2021 No. 3 overall pick Trey Lance. The team has reportedly fielded calls on Lance, and they clearly favor Brock Purdy. But there's reason to be concerned about both.

Lance, of course, barely saw the field in his first two seasons. Injuries are a big factor there, and it's extremely discouraging that the team already has him lower on the totem pole than a sophomore seventh-round pick.

And, of course, that's exactly what Purdy is. Mr. Irrelevant was passed on 261 times in the 2022 NFL Draft. And yes, the 49ers won all five of Purdy's regular-season starts while he posted a 107.3 passer rating in an astonishing rookie campaign, but that's a 170-pass sampling from a player who almost nobody had tape on prior to his unexpected run as a rookie starter.

That will no longer be the case in 2023. And on top of that, Purdy will be coming off a severely limited offseason as a result of a major elbow injury.

And yet, head coach Kyle Shanahan is talking BIG.

"We have two guys who are talented enough to be taken in the top five of the draft," he said this week, according to The Athletic's Tim Kawakami, "and we have another guy who played like it last year."

Oh, and then we have quarterbacks coach Jeff Christensen telling The Athletic's Matt Barrows that Lance has made a "substantial jump" as a passer this offseason.

The other quarterback to whom Shanahan is alluding is Sam Darnold, who has been the subject of much hype this offseason as well. Darnold was indeed a top-five pick five years ago, but he's now on his third NFL roster, presumably because he's got a sub-60 career completion percentage and a sub-80 career passer rating.

And yet, the media is talking BIG.

"He might be—can I say this—the most talented thrower of the football that the 49ers have ever had," NBC Sports' Matt Maiocco told KNBR earlier this month

But Darnold is about to turn 26 and has shown very few signs of being capable of putting that together at the NFL level.

The odds are certainly stacked against him. Ditto for Lance considering his struggles thus far and his failure to even nail down the No. 2 job despite the substantial investment the 49ers made in him just two years ago. And with unproven 30-year-old Brandon Allen likely just a camp arm, that really just leaves Purdy and his eight career regular-season and playoff starts, all of which were abetted by one of the most talented supporting casts in the league.

That dynamic will surely help again in 2023, which is why the 49ers remain a prime Super Bowl contender regardless of uncertainty under center. But we all know how difficult it is to win championships in this day and age without an elite quarterback—14 of the last 15 Super Bowl winners had a Pro Bowl quarterback on their roster—and Purdy remains a longshot to become elite.

Diamonds can be found in the draft rough, but it's pretty rare for a quarterback to succeed as such a late-round selection.

"He's a scrappy runner but not dynamic enough to make up for his shortcomings as a passer," Lance Zierlein of NFL.com wrote of Purdy last offseason.

"One could argue that Purdy has no elite traits," wrote Pro Football Network's Ian Cummings.

"While Purdy does not have a starter's skill set, he could develop into being a solid pro backup," added Walter Football's Charlie Campbell.

Total number of undrafted quarterbacks who have entered the league this century who have served as the starter for 50 or more victories: 1 (Tony Romo).

Total number of seventh-round picks who have entered the league this century as quarterbacks who have served as the starter for 50 or more victories: 1 (Ryan Fitzpatrick).

Fitzpatrick comes from a group of 24. Hence those long odds.

The odds were better for Lance as a primo draft pick, of course, but that's no longer the case two years down the road while the team that traded up to draft him indicates serious concern.

Even still, only 11 of the 30 quarterbacks drafted in the top five this century have made multiple Pro Bowls. Those selections remain rolls of the dice. And thus far, both Lance and Darnold have done very little to indicate they aren't snake eyes.

At least the 49ers have given themselves several options, and it's entirely possible one of these guys defies the odds in 2023 and beyond. But there's also a strong possibility we're looking at a case of quantity over quality that will cost the 49ers dearly when it matters in the years to come.

nighttrain

Legend
"But there's also a strong possibility we're looking at a case of quantity over quality that will cost the 49ers dearly when it matters in the years to come."

this would be ideal.
train

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Lol @ the whiner fans still celebrating a title they won way back when they still had hair. A whole new generation of their fans never saw a championship. Probably never will. At they wanna talk shit?

goodfellas-henry-hill.gif

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I know that Purdy went something like 5-0 to start his career with the whiners, but so did Jimmy G. IMO, they are very similar. But when you break it down, the whiners have a power running game and had the #1 defense in the league last season. A gameplan close to the vest with a good running game and defense = wins. In the games I saw Purdy playing, he kind of got lucky this past season and he made enough mistakes where good teams would have turned that into a win against the whiners.

My whiner friends kept saying they would have won the NFC title if Purdy didn't get hurt. I pointed out that their #1 defense giving up 30+ points was a bigger problem than Purdy getting injured.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The 49ers should win plenty of games no matter who the quarterback is. Its an offense built to make it easy for whoever the QB is. Hand off the ball with a solid run game. Throw slants, quick outs, screens, etc., and let the playmakers do their thing. If things aren't going well that day a defense that can hold teams down. All sounds great for them.

But when you get in the playoffs you're gonna see better offenses. Better defenses. Better quarterbacks. That is where that position becomes really important. Their fans can celebrate the regular season wins over us.

But I have a feeling they will never see that elusive championship because Shanahan/Lynch screwed the pooch on the quarterback position. If they didn't give up all those picks for Lance they could have had the resources to get a guy like Aaron Rogers.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The 49ers should win plenty of games no matter who the quarterback is. Its an offense built to make it easy for whoever the QB is. Hand off the ball with a solid run game. Throw slants, quick outs, screens, etc., and let the playmakers do their thing. If things aren't going well that day a defense that can hold teams down. All sounds great for them.

But when you get in the playoffs you're gonna see better offenses. Better defenses. Better quarterbacks. That is where that position becomes really important. Their fans can celebrate the regular season wins over us.

But I have a feeling they will never see that elusive championship because Shanahan/Lynch screwed the pooch on the quarterback position. If they didn't give up all those picks for Lance they could have had the resources to get a guy like Aaron Rogers.
They'll be good again this year, barring injuries.

But yeah, they HAD A REAL WINDOW and so far have blown it... I hate to think what they'd look like had they not screwed up with Lance.

They have stars to pay soon, and this year feels like the last shot at this window.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
They'll be good again this year, barring injuries.

But yeah, they HAD A REAL WINDOW and so far have blown it... I hate to think what they'd look like had they not screwed up with Lance.

They have stars to pay soon, and this year feels like the last shot at this window.
Championship windows are only open for so long. We took advantage and got it done. Its gonna be glorious when they fail to get it done and drop back to mediocrity in a year or two.

Oh sure, they'll pretend they're content with the winning seasons and beating the Rams a bunch of times in the regular season. But I know its agonizing knowing we beat them in the one game that really meant something. And we won a championship while they did not. Damn, I think I'm getting a schadenboner and the season hasn't started.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

49ers make interesting first-team QB choice during OTAs​

The San Francisco 49ers may have dropped a hint regarding their thinking at the quarterback position with their choice as to who gets first-team reps during OTAs.

ESPN’s Jeff Darlington reported that Trey Lance is getting first-team reps ahead of Sam Darnold at OTAs, via Dov Kleiman of BroBible. Darnold is serving as the backup while he comes to grips with the offense and learns the playbook.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Darnold must not be off to a good start. He knows the scheme well enough, or should, given his OC last year taught him the Green Bay variant of the WCO. Of course protections might be totally different and the playbook itself has a different approach with lead blockers and whatnot in the Ratboy version but if he can't dunk on Lance it means bad things for SF.

I'm sure Lance looks great with nobody getting in his face, no pressure or rush to speak of. That should change shortly. :laugh3:

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
It doesnt matter who is starting week 1, the whiners will have 3 different QBs start during the course of the season. What matters is who is healthy for a playoff run. And with the 3 they are banking on its possible that none of the 3 are healthy come playoff time.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m watching Americas Game 2021 during my lunch break whilst WFH, a very welcome break from dealing with a load of chumps. Anyway I loved how Donald kept saying he hated the 49ers. Superb shithousery right there.