The Rise of LASED.........

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Did you notice the roof sag when they lifted it?
lol it's all good guys, engineers account for sag (aka deflection) when they design long span structures. They even know exactly how much it will sag when loaded, so they design some structures "pre-cambered" so that after the loads are added, it takes its final shape.

bluecoconuts

Legend
lol it's all good guys, engineers account for sag (aka deflection) when they design long span structures. They even know exactly how much it will sag when loaded, so they design some structures "pre-cambered" so that after the loads are added, it takes its final shape.

Buildings always account for occupants now. Libraries, for example, have to account for the weight of the books that’ll go inside.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Correction: good engineers already account for sag. Soon to be unemployed engineers, do not.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Rams would 'visit' Chargers in SoFi debut as NFL is expected to cut preseason in half

Sam Farmer
LA TimesJuly 2, 2020

The NFL will conduct a combined 950 tests for human growth hormone during the regular season and playoffs.

The NFL is expected to eliminate weeks 1 and 4 of the preseason. (Rick Osentoski / Associated Press)

Preseason NFL games at times have the feel of halfhearted football.

This summer, amid the COVID-19 pandemic, there will be only half as many of those games.

The league is expected to cut this year’s preseason games from four to two per team, eliminating games scheduled for Weeks 1 and 4. This comes in the wake of the NFL cancelling the annual Hall of Fame Game, which typically opens the preseason.

The move is expected to be formally announced in the coming days, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. The NFL declined to confirm the pending decision.

That doesn’t necessarily mean the games scheduled for Weeks 2 and 3 of the preseason will be the matchups played. Under the plan, each team will get a home and away game. The Week 2 matchups likely will remain as is, with Week 3 schedule being reshuffled. The first week of games should be held between Aug. 20-24 and the second between Aug. 27-31.

This would mean the Rams would open SoFi Stadium on Aug. 22 as the visiting team against the Chargers, a game scheduled to kick off at 7 p.m.

All of this could change as health and safety issues continue to unfold, but the NFL has not changed the date when the bulk of players will arrive at training camp (July 28), or the Sept. 10 start date of the regular season.

whitedk57

Ram fan for life
Name
Duane

Good thing it doesn't snow in LA - remember the stadium in Minnesota?

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Good thing it doesn't snow in LA - remember the stadium in Minnesota?
ah yeah, but LA has it's own environmental challenges, such as when the earth (you know, that thing that our buildings are built on top of) starts shaking, jolting, bucking, heaving, liquefying, etc. etc.
All that stuff I have no idea how engineers account for. I mean, I kinda do, but whatever they did with SoFi is a mystery -- I remember the huge "thrust blocks" they built into the foundations, extending out from the column piers, and there's those big black rubber seismic things on top of the columns to let the roof sway, but it's still all hocus pocus to me.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan

Rams would 'visit' Chargers in SoFi debut as NFL is expected to cut preseason in half

Sam Farmer
LA TimesJuly 2, 2020

The NFL will conduct a combined 950 tests for human growth hormone during the regular season and playoffs.

The NFL is expected to eliminate weeks 1 and 4 of the preseason. (Rick Osentoski / Associated Press)

Preseason NFL games at times have the feel of halfhearted football.

This summer, amid the COVID-19 pandemic, there will be only half as many of those games.

The league is expected to cut this year’s preseason games from four to two per team, eliminating games scheduled for Weeks 1 and 4. This comes in the wake of the NFL cancelling the annual Hall of Fame Game, which typically opens the preseason.

The move is expected to be formally announced in the coming days, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. The NFL declined to confirm the pending decision.

That doesn’t necessarily mean the games scheduled for Weeks 2 and 3 of the preseason will be the matchups played. Under the plan, each team will get a home and away game. The Week 2 matchups likely will remain as is, with Week 3 schedule being reshuffled. The first week of games should be held between Aug. 20-24 and the second between Aug. 27-31.

This would mean the Rams would open SoFi Stadium on Aug. 22 as the visiting team against the Chargers, a game scheduled to kick off at 7 p.m.

All of this could change as health and safety issues continue to unfold, but the NFL has not changed the date when the bulk of players will arrive at training camp (July 28), or the Sept. 10 start date of the regular season.

puke.... so, the first game in the stadium will have CHARGERS logo crap all over the oculus???? sick, man, sick.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
puke.... so, the first game in the stadium will have CHARGERS logo crap all over the oculus???? sick, man, sick.

I guess the national audience won't be the same as an in-season game... But I can't see Kroenke letting this happen.

The first time he watches a game in HIS STADIUM... and it's chargers.

Lol.

No.

bluecoconuts

Legend
ah yeah, but LA has it's own environmental challenges, such as when the earth (you know, that thing that our buildings are built on top of) starts shaking, jolting, bucking, heaving, liquefying, etc. etc.
All that stuff I have no idea how engineers account for. I mean, I kinda do, but whatever they did with SoFi is a mystery -- I remember the huge "thrust blocks" they built into the foundations, extending out from the column piers, and there's those big black rubber seismic things on top of the columns to let the roof sway, but it's still all hocus pocus to me.

There's a number of things they can do and they've actually done some of them.

By going into the ground vs on top (remember, they dug down) that would reduce a fair amount of shaking. Additionally, the way that they make buildings these days in terms of safety regulations there wont be any real worry from that.

There are actually some pretty interesting ways to reduce shaking from an Earthquake, including separating the foundation of the building from the rest of the foundation around it. I don't know if that's something they did mind you, but who knows. Either way it's been reinforced for Earthquakes I'm sure.

If you ever visit UCLA you can see an example of separating the foundation. You can actually see some reinforcements they have on the towers at Royce Hall (the famous UCLA building most people use as a background of the school) in the way of some slightly lighter X's going across the top of them, but that's a different thing.

Kerckhoff Hall (the Gothic looking building) is one you can see that they have separated from the rest of the foundation. If you were to look along the outside of the building, you see these two little lines about a meter apart that go around the building. That is the separating that will absorb shaking, and thus if you were to stand on one side during an Earthquake and jump into Kerckhoff Hall, the shaking would be several magnitudes less if I recall correctly.

I believe if you look at Google Earth/Street view you can see them on there as well.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
there is a video out there ( I'll have to look for it )

were the designers talk about how the building is actually designed and built to be able to shake East and West , which is guess is the direction earthquakes shake

or summtin like that

bluecoconuts

Legend
Rams media and social media leave a lot to be desired. I love Sarina and things she does, but the rest of the team, namely our twitter and Instagram pages don’t have a lot of personality, they rarely engage with other LA team fanbases, etc.

The fact the Chargers are showing off our stadium better is a bad look if you ask me.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams media and social media leave a lot to be desired. I love Sarina and things she does, but the rest of the team, namely our twitter and Instagram pages don’t have a lot of personality, they rarely engage with other LA team fanbases, etc.

The fact the Chargers are showing off our stadium better is a bad look if you ask me.
Couldn't care less, but at least they're contributing something to it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Maybe they are positioned in place, then ironed on by a massive iron?

NCASHiron_paulkarz.jpg