The Rams Need to Get A "Go To" WR More Than Any Other Position

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Rams need more playmakers on offense(still) AND they need to get younger and more talented on the OLine. Thats my bottom line.

How many playmakers do we have on offense? IMO we have one and thats T.Austin. Sure we have a few young guys who could still develop into playmakers(Givens,Bailey,Cook),but at the top of the draft you should be targeting impact players at several key positions. WR is one of them and Watkins looks like a playmaker to me.

I love way this team is being built but IMO the offense isn't as close as some others believe in here. I have question marks concerning Z.Stacy and his durability as a heavy load back. Behind Stacy we have a head case and D.Rich who could be a role player but clearly isn't the answer. No one knows yet if Bradford is a guy who will be here beyond next season. Jake Long? Saffold? Wells? B.Jones? Not alot of confidence from me there.

This is an important offseason. If Snead can find a way to rebuild/re-shuffle the OLine and find a playmaker or two on offense i think we can do some great things in 2014.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
I think that's quite the mischaracterization.

I think our WRs are good, but none have stepped up as a #1 type. COULD they? Of course, but history tells us that's rare. And we didn't have a #1 WR last year.

On the other hand, we DO have a Left Tackle. Even if there's some setback and he's not here Week 1, he'll be here soon enough. Every other position on that line can wait until later picks.

So I don't see the sense in drafting someone to play out of position at positions that we can get later in the draft for cheaper. I see that as wasting the pick. Sure, we might have to replace Long sooner than later, but we can do so THEN.
I fixed it for you.

What do you mean, out of position? Robinson sounds like a player who would excel at RT, meanwhile getting game time experience until the Rams plug him in at LT. This is the new CBA, with a rookie cap that doesn't force teams to immediately get their money's worth out of top ten draft picks.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I fixed it for you.

What do you mean, out of position? Robinson sounds like a player who would excel at RT, meanwhile getting game time experience until the Rams plug him in at LT. This is the new CBA, with a rookie cap that doesn't force teams to immediately get their money's worth out of top ten draft picks.
Actually it was much better before. Thank you. We do not have a #1 WR. Someone MAY step up. The odds are against it. We'd be better off drafting someone who has that kind of promise.

And the out of position thing was directed at those wanting a drafted tackle to play guard for now, since arguably we're good at RT too. A tackle drafted to play at RT and then maybe eventually LT is a better plan, but still it means we'd be spending our early draft pick on an RT in the short term and maybe long term. That was the early plan for Jason Smith, and we saw how well it worked then.

And the more I hear about Robinson, the more I worry that he's the next Jason Smith. We have too many current needs to be drafting projects in early Round 1.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He's fun to watch though isn't he?
Yeah and I think he will be a good one if he's able to pick up on how to see the holes develop and how to set up a defender better like Stacey. If he can do that, it would be a hell of a combo with maybe Pead or Rich as the change of pace/3rd down backs.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Memphis, I was referring to this post, guess I should have quoted, sorry. Yes Fisher has had success this way I'm agreeing with that but Schotty calls the plays now. That is why I refer to the Jets O. Having one WR capable of producing based on his ability rather than having to be schemed open gives the whole offense a boost. A player like that breaks defensive gameplans and instills confidence in the whole team.

Well I agree with all of that. I just don't believe that it's necessary. Not on a run first football team. Nor am I convinced that Watkins is the only player in this draft with that type of potential.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Actually it was much better before. Thank you. We do not have a #1 WR. Someone MAY step up. The odds are against it. We'd be better off drafting someone who has that kind of promise.

Count me in with the GMs and NFL personnel people that point out that most teams in the NFL don't have a true #1 WR.

iced

Count me in with the GMs and NFL personnel people that point out that most teams in the NFL don't have a true #1 WR.
I think this depends on what the definition of a #1 receiver is.

For me it's simple - it's a go to receiver, that separates, catches the ball, and gets open. He can make plays in the clutch, and he's a threat to a defense.

There isn't a receiver on the rams that fits that description.. (sadly, Rams are the only team who's starting receiver doesn't have a touchdown)

Memphis Ram

Legend
I think this depends on what the definition of a #1 receiver is.

For me it's simple - it's a go to receiver, that separates, catches the ball, and gets open. He can make plays in the clutch, and he's a threat to a defense.

There isn't a receiver on the rams that fits that description.. (sadly, Rams are the only team who's starting receiver doesn't have a touchdown)

That could be Tavon Austin or Steadman Bailey if given time to mature.

In multiple packages, that could even be Pettis going against the opposing teams #3 or #4 CB.:whistle:

iced

In multiple packages, that could even be Pettis going against the opposing teams #3 or #4 CB.:whistle:

I don't see Tavon playing outside like a Desean Jackson in this scheme....

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave

Memphis, you're still going to have to scheme these plays open a#1 breaks down defenses with skill.

A "go to" player, when every body in the stadium knows where they are going with the ball and they still make the play.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Memphis, you're still going to have to scheme these plays open a#1 breaks down defenses with skill.

A "go to" player, when every body in the stadium knows where they are going with the ball and they still make the play.

A that goes back to there not being that many #1 WRs in the NFL. Just like some NFL personnel people suggest.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I don't see Tavon playing outside like a Desean Jackson in this scheme....

Some might disagree, but does he have too?
And isn't that the wrap that Victor Cruz gets (slot guy only), yet he seems to be Manning's go to guy.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
A that goes back to there not being that many #1 WRs in the NFL. Just like some NFL personnel people suggest.
Are you saying that since that type of player is hard to find you shouldn't look for him?

Watkins is the top rated WR in a deep WR class that is no accident.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Are you saying that since that type of player is hard to find you shouldn't look for him?

Watkins is the top rated WR in a deep WR class that is no accident.

Nope. I'm saying what I've always said. That type of player, while great to have, isn't necessary to have a good offensive unit and team. Even the Super Bowl Champion Seahawks (amongst others) just made that pretty clear.

And even if Watkins is the top rated WR (subject to opinion) in a deep WR class. That doesn't mean that he's the only good WR or potential #1 WR in that class. Especially if the class is DEEP (which seems to be getting ignored). Andre Johnson's class had Anquan Boldin. Braylon Edwards class had Roddy White and Vincent Jackson. Santonio Holmes class had Greg Jennings and Brandon Marshall. Calvin Johnson's class had Dwayne Bowe and Sidney Rice (inj). Crabtree's class had Hakeem Hicks and Mike Wallace. And on and on. Have the former listed top rated players in their class really made that much more of a difference on their teams than the later listed players (if at all in some cases)??

Edit: And this would probably be a non issue if the Rams took Alshon Jeffrey from the Justin Blackmon draft class (or Quick developed faster).

Last edited: