The Rams Need to Get A "Go To" WR More Than Any Other Position

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

You're probably right but I'm not ready to go there. Let's wait to see what happens with Saffold and the FA period.

I think we can at least agree that our OL could use some stability.

What about spending some $$$ on FA WR Maclin? I would be down with that. He's not going to have rookie WR issues.

do I need to point out the hypocrisy of Signing Saffold but drafting an Olinemen out of Fear of Long's injury history? :D

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Why is it that almost every year fans post as if the team has only one selection and/or there is only one player of value at a position in a draft class?

So many had to have Tavon Austin. But Hopkins, Patterson, Allen and others looked pretty good to me.

Prior to that Justin Blackmon was the only way to go. But, he's been outplayed by Alshon Jeffrey and Kendall Wright.

AJ Green & Julio Jones? While they haven't been at there level, guys like Torrey Smith & Randall Cobb have played well, too. And on and on.

To be fair, this team hasn't show the ability to find those sleepers since...?

I can't speak for others, but I'm getting tired of trying to find a WR to replace Holt.

iced

I can't speak for others, but I'm getting tired of trying to find a WR to replace Holt.

I'm personally tired of not seeing any receivers break 700 yards... i'm not even setting the bar medium at 1000 yards... i'll take 700 yards at this point - and hopefully next season our #1 WR will catch atleast one touchdown...

jjab360

Legend
do I need to point out the hypocrisy of Signing Saffold but drafting an Olinemen out of Fear of Long's injury history? :D
No hypocrisy there. Saffold is a very talented lineman, just like Long, and you want both guys on your team. However, you also have to realize that both guys are injury risks hence the need for insurance.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

Yes and No. I was just saying that we'll have more information to base our arguments on once we see what happens with FA.

Memphis Ram

Legend

But why are we so concerned about replacing Holt when we don't have the same coach and aren't running the same pass happy brand of offense? Has anyone really taken a close look at the WRs Jeff Fisher had in Tennessee?

His leading WRs were guys like Justin Gage, Roydell Williams, Kevin Dyson, and even Drew Bennett. The best of the bunch was Derrick Mason who was pretty good, but was he as good as Torry Holt?

In 2008, his team went 13-3 and didn't have a target break 700 yards either. Neither did the 13-3 Super Bowl team that almost beat the Rams.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I will have to say that when you compare tape on Givens vs Watkins coming out of college, there is really no comparison. The amount of separation that Watkins gets is far superior to Givens. The other thing is that people have been comparing the two size wise. Yeah - they are similar in size now - though I have my doubts on Givens actual size but Givens was 5'11" 198 coming out of college. Watkins is currently 6'1" 205. And I am going to guess he puts on a few more pounds and another inch or so.

The questions I have is that Watkins has a fair number of drops and botched punts apparently due to lapses in concentration. He also has a drug arrest in 2012 for possession of marijuana (yawn), vyvanse (amphetamine), and ADDERALL. He claims to be working on his route running and speed as another knock is that he is a bit of a one trick pony in his route tree.

I would absolutely love to have a true #1 WR and outside threat. Is he the guy? I dunno.

Last edited:

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
However, drafting an OT high is leverage against the future, in case Barksdale leaves after 2014 or Long is injured again. Keep in mind, Long's contract is for just 3 more years. For that matter, the drafted OT could be an upgrade over Barksdale.
Unless the guy is a world beater, I'd rather pick someone we need right now. We can draft an OT when we need an OT.

And you can get a RT later in the draft. In fact, every position except LT you can and should get later in the draft.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'd rather the team pick the best player available on their draft board, irregardless of the position.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I'd rather the team pick the best player available on their draft board, irregardless of the position.
I agree you should draft BPA, but BPA informed by Need.

Right now, if a OT or Clowney had a SLIGHT advantage on Watkins, Watkins gets the nod because he'll be a bigger upgrade to what we have than any of the others. QB is a different story because there's much less benefit to having more than 1.

If any of them have a HUGE advantage, then yeah, draft them.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I agree you should draft BPA, but BPA informed by Need.

Right now, if a OT or Clowney had a SLIGHT advantage on Watkins, Watkins gets the nod because he'll be a bigger upgrade to what we have than any of the others. QB is a different story because there's much less benefit to having more than 1.

If any of them have a HUGE advantage, then yeah, draft them.

If Martz were the head coach, I'd probably be right with you. However, in this case, I'd take a slightly higher rated player in the trenches over Watkins. IMO, that player is going to have more of an impact. Especially on a Jeff Fisher coached team.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
In Schotty's offense, with the Jets, his last few years they had 4 receivers over 700 yards TE Keller almost did as well in a "run based" scheme with Sanchez at QB. As Rams fans shouldn't we expect at least that much?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
But why are we so concerned about replacing Holt when we don't have the same coach and aren't running the same pass happy brand of offense? Has anyone really taken a close look at the WRs Jeff Fisher had in Tennessee?

His leading WRs were guys like Justin Gage, Roydell Williams, Kevin Dyson, and even Drew Bennett. The best of the bunch was Derrick Mason who was pretty good, but was he as good as Torry Holt?

In 2008, his team went 13-3 and didn't have a target break 700 yards either. Neither did the 13-3 Super Bowl team that almost beat the Rams.

Holt: 1 Super Bowl victory
Fisher: zero

:cool:

I'm supporting the Watkins pick because I tend to favor playmakers early. I like what I see from him.

That said, if I had to make the pick right now; I'd have a hard time passing on Mathews.

So I guess I'm supporting a lot of sides right now! :sneaky:

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
In Schotty's offense, with the Jets, his last few years they had 4 receivers over 700 yards TE Keller almost did as well in a "run based" scheme with Sanchez at QB. As Rams fans shouldn't we expect at least that much?
Almost everyone in the Watkins camp discounts the fact that our receiving corps is very young, AND that we didn't have our starting QB for more than half of the season. Clemens played well enough, but he can't make the throws that Bradford can. Some of the posters here who had the all-22 have commented that Quick was often open on the intermediate routes but Clemens wouldn't make that throw.

I object to the earlier comment that our receivers have NO talent. They are inexperienced and Clemens limitations didn't help.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Seems the Rams are being penalized for spreading the ball around. Last year they had 5 WRs/TEs with 30+ receptions which is something his teams in New York never experienced. They would typically have only 3 or 4 hit that mark. My guess is if the Rams dropped one of 30+ targets, then they'd have their 700 yard player or perhaps even two. Especially if Bradford plays the entire season.

Last edited:

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Almost everyone in the Watkins camp discounts the fact that our receiving corps is very young, AND that we didn't have our starting QB for more than half of the season. Clemens played well enough, but he can't make the throws that Bradford can. Some of the posters here who had the all-22 have commented that Quick was often open on the intermediate routes but Clemens wouldn't make that throw.

I object to the earlier comment that our receivers have NO talent. They are inexperienced and Clemens limitations didn't help.
I think that's quite the mischaracterization.

I think our WRs are good, but none have stepped up as a #1 type. COULD they? Of course, but history tells us that's rare. And we don't have a #1 WR.

On the other hand, we DO have a Left Tackle. Even if there's some setback and he's not here Week 1, he'll be here soon enough. Every other position on that line can wait until later picks.

So I don't see the sense in drafting someone to play out of position at positions that we can get later in the draft for cheaper. I see that as wasting the pick. Sure, we might have to replace Long sooner than later, but we can do so THEN.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Holt: 1 Super Bowl victory
Fisher: zero

:cool:

I'm supporting the Watkins pick because I tend to favor playmakers early. I like what I see from him.

That said, if I had to make the pick right now; I'd have a hard time passing on Mathews.

So I guess I'm supporting a lot of sides right now! :sneaky:

Of course, he doesn't see that ring without those guys in the trenches on both sides of the ball.:whistle:

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
Seems the Rams are being penalized for spreading the ball around. Last year they had 5 WRs/TEs with 30+ receptions which is something his teams in New York never experienced. They would typically have only 3 or 4 hit that mark. My guess is if the Rams dropped one of 30+ targets, then they'd have their 700 yard player or perhaps even two. Especially if Bradford plays the entire season.
Wasn't saying that the Jets offense was better. Just trying to point out that in this offense a "playmaker" can separate themselves from the rest of the group, even as they place an emphasis on the run game.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Wasn't saying that the Jets offense was better. Just trying to point out that in this offense a "playmaker" can separate themselves from the rest of the group, even as they place an emphasis on the run game.

I didn't think that either were up for debate.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave

Memphis, I was referring to this post, guess I should have quoted, sorry. Yes Fisher has had success this way I'm agreeing with that but Schotty calls the plays now. That is why I refer to the Jets O. Having one WR capable of producing based on his ability rather than having to be schemed open gives the whole offense a boost. A player like that breaks defensive gameplans and instills confidence in the whole team.