The Rams Need to Get A "Go To" WR More Than Any Other Position

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
No, no, no...

That's way too cool. :D

So this is more your style? :eek:
ugly_4.jpg

Memphis Ram

Legend
Process of elimination...

-Fisher has a history of not picking OL'man high.
-We want to trade out of #2... no Clowney.
-We have starting LT's but need depth (Ala trade down picks.
-Watkins posted himself in a Rams uni after we vetted him... make it what you want

Watkins makes the most sense unless trades back too far. In that case we keep trading back and stock pile a BUNCH of second round picks. I say we draft Watkins.

Need and opportunity have also played a role with Fisher's teams. How? LTs are typically the usual 1st round choices and Fisher had two for his entire tenure with the Titans. Former 1st rounder Brad Hopkins, who he inherited, and Michael Roos who was selected with a high 2nd rounder obtained after trading out of the 1st round. He comes to St. Louis and there's Saffold and they are able to obtain Long. And quite frankly, there really hasn't been any OLinemen worthy of the Rams 1st Round selections since Fisher has been in St. Louis.

Wanting to trade out and being able to do so for the necessary compensation are two different things altogether, thus Clowney is still in the mix if available. BTW, there is a possible scenario where a swap of choices with the Jaguars could still net Clowney.

Jake Long has suffered serious injuries in each of the last 3 seasons and will be 30 in 2015. It would seems a bit strange to bank on him playing out his contact (structured where they can get out it with limited damage) yet be hesitant to bank on younger players with injury histories (Amendola & Saffold).

Watkins posting? Meaningless. He posted one with him in a Tampa uniform, too.

Watkins making the most sense? The team just traded up for Tavon Austin last year. They just gave Jared Cook who is basically a WR in the TE body a HUGE deal last year. Steadman Bailey finished off his rookie season looking pretty good. And the team which carried 5 WRs last year still has Givens, Quick, and Pettis, all of who were hurt when Bradford went down. And this is a team that now prefers to run the football and play defense for goodness sakes. And on top of all of that, one could also argue that Mike Evans or perhaps even Kevin Benjamin might even be better fits if they wanted to go the WR route due to their size offering the team something they don't have much of in their WR core.

Finally, IMO, if the kid can show that he as the coverage skills/abilities necessary to man the SLB spot, I could make an argument that Khalil Mack makes the most sense (after a trade down) playing in a Marcus Washington (Redskins) type role in Greg Williams defense. A SLB in base sets while taking reps as a rush end on passing downs or other creative packages.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
And here I thought we had this thread successfully derailed.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
And here I thought we had this thread successfully derailed.
Which would be probably for the best.

We can go round and round on this until May. There are good reasons for both a Watkins pick and a tackle pick. Neither would be outright dumb. At this point, people have made up their minds what they want.

Plus, anything we say now can be totally negated by the Combine.

jjab360

Legend
Which would be probably for the best.

We can go round and round on this until May. There are good reasons for both a Watkins pick and a tackle pick. Neither would be outright dumb. At this point, people have made up their minds what they want.

Plus, anything we say now can be totally negated by the Combine.
I'm just glad I can come to a Rams forum and not have it be Bradford, Bradford, Bradford, random troll guy all the time.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm just glad I can come to a Rams forum and not have it be Bradford, Bradford, Bradford, random troll guy all the time.
Yep. And notice how civil the debates remain around here? We can argue our points until Boffo is blue in the face :LOL: and still joke around during and after. Fun site - eh?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Yep. And notice how civil the debates remain around here? We can argue our points until Boffo is blue in the face :LOL: and still joke around during and after. Fun site - eh?
What!? I?! Argh! Blargl!

But in all seriousness, I'm glad we can be like this here too. I think it comes from having the attitude that no matter how much you think you're right and no matter how much you're pounding the table remembering "Hey, I *could* be wrong." and not doing anything that would make you look really really stupid if you are.

Which is a big part of why I'm glad politics and religion talk is discouraged here. In both those areas, the vast majority of us have made up our minds what we believe, and challenges to those beliefs will be met with, at best, a reaction of "You're wrong, but I respect your right to be wrong." In sports and other areas, we can keep that "Maybe I'm wrong" idea better.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
May as well stoke the fire.

bilde

Purchase Image
Clemson's Sammy Watkins enters this weekend's NFL Combine as the top wide receiver prospect, according to NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock. / BART BOATWRIGHT / STAFF

Written by
Scott Keepfer
Staff writer

Follow @ScottKeepfer on Twitter

• Filed Under
COMBINE INVITEES
Area players invited to the Combine:
CLEMSON
Tajh Boyd, QB
Bashaud Breeland, DB
Martavis Bryant, WR
Brandon Thomas, OL
Sammy Watkins, WR
SOUTH CAROLINA
Jadeveon Clowney, DE
Bruce Ellington, WR
Vic Hampton, CB
Kelcy Quarles, DL
Connor Shaw, QB
FURMAN
Dakota Dozier, G
All live coverage on the NFL Network (check your provider for channel listing)
Today: Player news conferences, 2 p.m
Friday: Player news conferences, 2 p.m.
Saturday: Workouts for OL, TE, K, 9 a.m.
Sunday: Workouts for RB, QB, WR, 9 a.m.
Monday: Workouts for LB, DL, 9 a.m.
Tuesday: Workouts for DB, 9 a.m.
Furman’s Dakota Dozier impressing analysts leading up to Combine, 2C

factboxfade.png

More
Related Links
ADVERTISEMENT
Mike Mayock isn’t typically bullish on wide receivers.
Then again, receivers such as former Clemson standout Sammy Watkins aren’t available on an annual basis.
“I usually don’t get excited about drafting a wide receiver in the top 10,” said Mayock, a former NFL player who’s now a draft analyst for the NFL Network. “But Sammy Watkins is a special player. He’s different.”
Watkins plans to show how different beginning today at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis, where 335 NFL hopefuls will gather at Lucas Oil Stadium in an attempt to impress NFL executives, coaches and personnel directors.
Watkins will be subjected to orientation and interviews today, be measured and examined by physicians on Friday, be tested on bench press and undergo psychological testing on Saturday, then complete the four-day frolic on Sunday with a variety of on-field workouts and drills.
Fortunately, Watkins has learned all about the process from former teammate DeAndre Hopkins, who recently completed his rookie season with the Houston Texans.
Watkins says he has taken Hopkins’ advice to heart and enters the Combine widely regarded as the top receiver prospect. He’s expected to be among the fastest at his position in Indianapolis and could chart the best 40-yard dash time by a Clemson athlete since Jacoby Ford blazed to a 4.28-second clocking at the 2010 Combine.
But Watkins is well aware that speed and agility won’t be his only measuring sticks.
As Hopkins told him: You’ve got to block to boost your stock.
“That’s the first thing DeAndre came back and said, that that’s the first thing they look at when evaluating you,” Watkins said. “They’re not looking at the plays you make; they know you can make plays and catch the ball, so they’re looking at the plays when you’re not getting the ball. That’s what I tried to focus on last season, and coaches did a good job of being hard on me and not allowing me to take plays off. That definitely helped my game.”
Mayock noticed.
“Watkins is physically explosive,” Mayock said. “But what I really, really like about this kid is he’s got toughness. He’ll physically beat press coverage. He blocks people.
“He’s got a little attitude about him. You can see him getting (angry) during games and going after corners and safeties and linebackers. So he’s got an attitude like he wants to be the best player there is, and when you combine that with his physical ability, I think it’s awesome

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Need and opportunity have also played a role with Fisher's teams. How? LTs are typically the usual 1st round choices and Fisher had two for his entire tenure with the Titans. Former 1st rounder Brad Hopkins, who he inherited, and Michael Roos who was selected with a high 2nd rounder obtained after trading out of the 1st round. He comes to St. Louis and there's Saffold and they are able to obtain Long. And quite frankly, there really hasn't been any OLinemen worthy of the Rams 1st Round selections since Fisher has been in St. Louis.

Wanting to trade out and being able to do so for the necessary compensation are two different things altogether, thus Clowney is still in the mix if available. BTW, there is a possible scenario where a swap of choices with the Jaguars could still net Clowney.

Jake Long has suffered serious injuries in each of the last 3 seasons and will be 30 in 2015. It would seems a bit strange to bank on him playing out his contact (structured where they can get out it with limited damage) yet be hesitant to bank on younger players with injury histories (Amendola & Saffold).

Watkins posting? Meaningless. He posted one with him in a Tampa uniform, too.

Watkins making the most sense? The team just traded up for Tavon Austin last year. They just gave Jared Cook who is basically a WR in the TE body a HUGE deal last year. Steadman Bailey finished off his rookie season looking pretty good. And the team which carried 5 WRs last year still has Givens, Quick, and Pettis, all of who were hurt when Bradford went down. And this is a team that now prefers to run the football and play defense for goodness sakes. And on top of all of that, one could also argue that Mike Evans or perhaps even Kevin Benjamin might even be better fits if they wanted to go the WR route due to their size offering the team something they don't have much of in their WR core.

Finally, IMO, if the kid can show that he as the coverage skills/abilities necessary to man the SLB spot, I could make an argument that Khalil Mack makes the most sense (after a trade down) playing in a Marcus Washington (Redskins) type role in Greg Williams defense. A SLB in base sets while taking reps as a rush end on passing downs or other creative packages.

Marcus Washington was actually the name I had in mind when I mocked Mack to us recently.