The Rams Need to Get A "Go To" WR More Than Any Other Position

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
It'll be funny come draft day if they draft neither of them, nor Evans or Matthews also.

laramsoriginal

Starter
I guess I'm alone when I say that I woukd hate the rams to draft clowney or Robinson with a top 10 pick. Both guys are freak athletes. One guy is raw having played in a Nintendo game offense while the other guy might have effort question marks. Pass and pass imo

iced

Yeah man. It's a good point. But what happens when Long goes down again (or doesn't make it come week 1).

We're going to lose Staffold because someone will overpay him in free agency. We know that.

So then what do you do? Bradford will get killed if he doesn't have a competent LT (as any pocket passer would).

If Long goes down, and you don't have a competent backup, it just doesn't matter who you have running routes.

That said, I love Watkins.

But here's a question for you; IF you take Watkins first and both LT's are gone by #13, when/how do you address the OL - because I'm assuming you draft a T at some point, right?

And yet meanwhile Bradford goes through yet another season of having lackluster "weapons" at Wide Receiver...

Thing is I've seen Bordeau pull something out of his butt with this o-line and make it serviceable with whatever junk and scraps they find - nothing has worked at WR.. There is actual talent at positions for OT, there isn't any legit #1 WR... we HAVE a Legit Franchise LT - who was playing at a high level. Forget any of that for WR - No stud WR, definitely no one even sniffing a pro bowl level...

But hey - Chris givens, "our best receiver", ranks in at 58th yards league wide..

You understand that pretty much means almost every other team in the league has a more productive #1 AND #2 Receiver - (This is just Wide receiver rankings, does not include other positions).

BTW, those players that are outproducing Chris Givens in yardage -
51. Brandon lafell (5 td)
52. Reuben Randle (6 td)
53. Jerricho Cotchery (10 td)
54. Steve Johnson (3 td)
55. Donnie Avery. (2 td)
56. Robert Woods (3 td)
57. Julio Jones (2 td)
58. Chris Givens (0 td) (our #1!)
59. Ted Ginn. (5 td)
60. Marlon Brown. (7 td)

Yea, Givens is really sitting in some elite company...meanwhile Jake Long was voted Top 5 at LT and was 2nd or 3rd in pro bowl voting prior to his knee injury...

but yea - "we're fine at WR with our youth"

And yes, that is actually Donnie Avery outproducing our receiver core...

Last edited:

laramsoriginal

Starter
Yeah lets not take into consideration that the starting QB was injured for half the season because he was flushed from the pocket

iced

Yeah lets not take into consideration that the starting QB was injured for half the season because he was flushed from the pocket
Except for those 2 debacle games weren't just the o-line - they were the tight ends and backs as well..and It didn't matter if they were running or passing, especially the niner game - no one was blocking correctly or effectively.. Even Kendricks, whom is one of our best blockers, was whiffing and missing assignments vs the Niners.

Rams allowed 0 sacks the first 2 games, then 6 at Dallas and 2 at SF. SF was more of a disaster run blocking then anything - and that was a lot of guys blowing assignments. Also - Jared Cook was not asked to block after this game, which was a pretty big dramatic shift in philosophy given he started coming off the field for obvious run plays. Kendricks and Harkey were the Two TE's for the next few games, while Cook's Snap count fell (Thank god, he was a joke in blocking...)

But while Bradford was QB - Ram's receivers led the league in drops, and as a team finished 7th overall in Drops....

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
And yet meanwhile Bradford goes through yet another season of having lackluster "weapons" at Wide Receiver...

but yea - "we're fine at WR with our youth"

And yes, that is actually Donnie Avery outproducing our receiver core...

Dude, we've spent so much $$$ on WR's.... then we lose them to FA and they play well elsewhere. At a certain point we have to build a OL.

We spent the #8 pick on a WR last year.... I thought it was WAY too much... but that's what we got to work with now.

As soon as we bring in other guys we are essentially giving up on Givens, et al.

And you didn't at all address the topic of Long's injury history. There is ZERO chance the guy plays 16 games for us next year - ZERO. What's your contingency plan???

RamEERS

Pastor
Except for those 2 debacle games weren't just the o-line - they were the tight ends and backs as well..and It didn't matter if they were running or passing, especially the niner game - no one was blocking correctly or effectively.. Even Kendricks, whom is one of our best blockers, was whiffing and missing assignments vs the Niners.

Rams allowed 0 sacks the first 2 games, then 6 at Dallas and 2 at SF. SF was more of a disaster run blocking then anything - and that was a lot of guys blowing assignments. Also - Jared Cook was not asked to block after this game, which was a pretty big dramatic shift in philosophy given he started coming off the field for obvious run plays. Kendricks and Harkey were the Two TE's for the next few games, while Cook's Snap count fell (Thank god, he was a joke in blocking...)

But while Bradford was QB - Ram's receivers led the league in drops, and as a team finished 7th overall in Drops....

you do know why there are USC and some clemson fans that shared this picture...
99fced89398e9cdd7ef500a775d69f71be8055cc7527b19a35d3dc05f991374b.jpg

iced

Dude, we've spent so much $$$ on WR's.... then we lose them to FA and they play well elsewhere. At a certain point we have to build a OL.

We spent the #8 pick on a WR last year.... I thought it was WAY too much... but that's what we got to work with now.

As soon as we bring in other guys we are essentially giving up on Givens, et al.

And you didn't at all address the topic of Long's injury history. There is ZERO chance the guy plays 16 games for us next year - ZERO. What's your contingency plan???
We've spent even more on o-line if you really wanna go there lol..Smith, Bell, Brown...

and our o-line played well - 7th least in Sacks allowed. Receivers? outproduced by the tight end

Tavon Austin is a playmaker - he is not a true #1, but he is like a randall cobb or a Reggie Bush.. He's already shown the explosive playmaking ability.. He has scored td's and put up points on the board, Givens (our #1), had 0 td's...

What about Long's history? I'd be concerned if it were the same injury to same spot - but it's not.

You're talking about a "what if" scenario of a guy getting hurt at tackle - What's your plan for receiver where THERE IS NO TALENT!

I mean your concern is "for how many games do we get long" - how many more seasons do we gotta play before we give Bradford a friggen weapon outside?

Long played 15 games (1 short of a full season)....yet the weakest position on the line was Guard..

kinda confused by that

Last edited:

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
We've spent even more on o-line if you really wanna go there lol..Justin Smith, Bell, Brown...

and our o-line played well - 7th least in Sacks allowed. Receivers? outproduced by the tight end

Tavon Austin is a playmaker - he is not a true #1, but he is like a randall cobb or a Reggie Bush.. He's already shown the explosive playmaking ability.. He has scored td's and put up points on the board, Givens (our #1), had 0 td's...

What about Long's history? I'd be concerned if it were the same injury to same spot - but it's not.

You're talking about a "what if" scenario of a guy getting hurt at tackle - What's your plan for receiver where THERE IS NO TALENT!

I mean your concern is "for how many games do we get long" - how many more seasons do we gotta play before we give Bradford a friggen weapon outside?

Long played 15 games (1 short of a full season)....yet the weakest position on the line was Guard..

kinda confused by that

I believe in the "build from the inside out" philosophy. And I just don't have your same faith that our OL is up to par. I mean compare our OL to SF or SEA. No comparison.

I view WR as "nice to have". And I view their productivity as a function of the offense - rather than based on their individual skill sets.

If we had Torry Holt on our team last year he wouldn't have made any pro-bowl rosters...

Anyway, I think we just have a philosophical difference. Plus I think our WR's are better than the numbers they've put up.

Also - and you seem to be forgetting this but please correct me if I'm wrong - we are a RUN FIRST offense now. If there is ONE thing we proved last year its that we can't throw the ball on a consistent basis. So in that scenario the WR position is NOT important compared to a solid OL.

Basically, I don't see a scenario where we can justify spending a top 5 pick on Watkins.

If we were "one player away" okay. But we're not even close to being one player away on offense. Our defense, on the other hand, may be a FS away from total dominance. But not our offense. Not even close. Watkins at this point is just a bright shinny toy. I can understand being attracted to bright shinny toys so I am in no way criticizing you. Like I said, we just have a different philosophy.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If we're not getting Watkins, we might as well not take any other WR, because they won't be a #1. So we might as well give the current crew another year and see if anything gets better. If it doesn't, we're sunk though.

This is where I'm at.

I love our aggressiveness to get Tavon Austin but tired of the mid-prospect approach; Quick, Givens, Bailey,... We've got enough developmental guys. Let's not add another.

iced

I believe in the "build from the inside out" philosophy. And I just don't have your same faith that our OL is up to par. I mean compare our OL to SF or SEA. No comparison.

Seattle's o-line is known to be good? Hmm no, not really... in fact that's been one of their knocks running on 2 years now and I do believe they're about to let 2 lineman go for under performing. SF is a different story.
I view WR as "nice to have". And I view their productivity as a function of the offense - rather than based on their individual skill sets.

If we had Torry Holt on our team last year he wouldn't have made any pro-bowl rosters...

Anyway, I think we just have a philosophical difference. Plus I think our WR's are better than the numbers they've put up.

Oh please - if we had Holt on this team, this team would have been completely different..You're talking about a Hall of Fame, Crisp Router, Who Can ACTUALLY CATCH THE BALL and Gain separation - none of these receivers have shown that ability to do it consistently, let alone do it against the lesser corners of the league.

Also - and you seem to be forgetting this but please correct me if I'm wrong - we are a RUN FIRST offense now. If there is ONE thing we proved last year its that we can't throw the ball on a consistent basis. So in that scenario the WR position is NOT important compared to a solid OL.

No, we're not. This is wrong. The Rams threw the ball around 60-70% of the time with Bradford. Stacy averaged 16 carries a game with Sam, that's not run first. And if there is one thing that was proved last year, it's that you can pretty much man up and shut down our passing game, leaving that extra safety in the box for stacy because no one is going to threaten their corners, especially if their last name is sherman or peterson.

We don't have even Average receivers, to go along with the below average production - in a division that boasts the Top corners in the NFL...and you don't think we need a legit weapon? Pretty sure the only team to beat Seattle at home those years boasts a HOF WR and they also have another good receiver in the making that was a first rounder (Floyd).
Basically, I don't see a scenario where we can justify spending a top 5 pick on Watkins.

If we were "one player away" okay. But we're not even close to being one player away on offense. Our defense, on the other hand, may be a FS from total dominance. But not our offense. Not even close. Watkins at this point is just a bright shinny toy. I can understand being attracted to bright shinny toys so I am in no way criticizing you. Like I said, we just have a different philosophy.

I think this team needs a #1 WR way more than an interchangable safety... There is no FS/SS distinction in Fisher's defense.

Watkins isn't a bright shiny toy - he's a guy that's gonna get open, make plays, and win some jump balls - something Quick is struggling to do... If Watkins is a Ram he's instantly our best receiver..Not the same for Robinson, Matthews, etc..

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Seattle's o-line is known to be good? Hmm no, not really... in fact that's been one of their knocks running on 2 years now and I do believe they're about to let 2 lineman go for under performing. SF is a different story.

Oh please - if we had Holt on this team, this team would have been completely different..You're talking about a Hall of Fame, Crisp Router, Who Can ACTUALLY CATCH THE BALL and Gain separation - none of these receivers have shown that ability to do it consistently, let alone do it against the lesser corners of the league.

No, we're not. This is wrong. The Rams threw the ball around 60-70% of the time with Bradford. Stacy averaged 16 carries a game with Sam, that's not run first. And if there is one thing that was proved last year, it's that you can pretty much man up and shut down our passing game, leaving that extra safety in the box for stacy because no one is going to threaten their corners, especially if their last name is sherman or peterson.

We don't have even Average receivers, to go along with the below average production - in a division that boasts the Top corners in the NFL...and you don't think we need a legit weapon? Pretty sure the only team to beat Seattle at home those years boasts a HOF WR and they also have another good receiver in the making that was a first rounder (Floyd).

I think this team needs a #1 WR way more than an interchangable safety... There is no FS/SS distinction in Fisher's defense.

Watkins isn't a bright shiny toy - he's a guy that's gonna get open, make plays, and win some jump balls - something Quick is struggling to do... If Watkins is a Ram he's instantly our best receiver..Not the same for Robinson, Matthews, etc..

Man oh man... it's hard to argue your points. I'm not saying our WR's are world beaters. I'm just saying that they are less of a concern, given that there is room for improvement. TA and Bailey are going into year 2 - and that's when the jumps are made - if they're made.

But answer this ONE question; what do we do if Long goes down? Look at the guys contract. He's was low balled due to injury concerns - otherwise he would have a much, much higher salary and guarantee.

If you can answer that question satisfactorily I will concede.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Why is it that almost every year fans post as if the team has only one selection and/or there is only one player of value at a position in a draft class?

So many had to have Tavon Austin. But Hopkins, Patterson, Allen and others looked pretty good to me.

Prior to that Justin Blackmon was the only way to go. But, he's been outplayed by Alshon Jeffrey and Kendall Wright.

AJ Green & Julio Jones? While they haven't been at there level, guys like Torrey Smith & Randall Cobb have played well, too. And on and on.

iced

Man oh man... it's hard to argue your points. I'm not saying our WR's are world beaters. I'm just saying that they are less of a concern, given that there is room for improvement. TA and Bailey are going into year 2 - and that's when the jumps are made - if they're made.

But answer this ONE question; what do we do if Long goes down? Look at the guys contract. He's was low balled due to injury concerns - otherwise he would have a much, much higher salary and guarantee.

If you can answer that question satisfactorily I will concede.

I expect them to go to sign one or 2 in FA, probably draft one (Depending on if we trade and how many picks we get depends on how high) and bring in a couple UDFA's. I have more faith in Paul Bordeau finding talent and developing it vs our WR coach lol

iced

Why is it that almost every year fans post as if the team has only one selection and/or there is only one player of value at a position in a draft class?

So many had to have Tavon Austin. But Hopkins, Patterson, Allen and others looked pretty good to me.

Prior to that Justin Blackmon was the only way to go. But, he's been outplayed by Alshon Jeffrey and Kendall Wright.

AJ Green & Julio Jones? While they haven't been at there level, guys like Torrey Smith & Randall Cobb have played well, too. And on and on.

Eh - Blackmon's issues aren't on the field, they're off... he did have 415 yards in 4 games without a QB, or running game

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

Because that argument is too hard to make for us simple people. We don't have that level of knowledge about available players. We see stars. We are swayed by hype and Bowl Games. And let's face it, Torry Smith and Randall Cobb are NOT anywhere near as good as AJ Green/ Julio Jones.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I expect them to go to sign one or 2 in FA, probably draft one (Depending on if we trade and how many picks we get depends on how high) and bring in a couple UDFA's. I have more faith in Paul Bordeau finding talent and developing it vs our WR coach lol

You're probably right but I'm not ready to go there. Let's wait to see what happens with Saffold and the FA period.

I think we can at least agree that our OL could use some stability.

What about spending some $$$ on FA WR Maclin? I would be down with that. He's not going to have rookie WR issues.