The official Aaron Donald holdout thread - #Questfor100

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Haynesworth didnt make Washington a winner.
Suh didnt make Detroit a winner
Richardson didnt make the Jets a winner.
NGata didnt make the Lions a winner
Corey Luiget hasnt made the Chargers a winner

Overpaid? Yessir, thier impact is greatly distorted. I dont believe Aaron Donalds impact is distorted as far as our team goes. But the above list didnt seem to impact thier teams greatly enough to turn them into winners.

What was Warren Sapp's impact on the Bucs? They made him the highest paid defender in NFL history after year three even though they had had an overall losing record with him to that point.

DTs can be valuable components to a winning team. They can't do it on their own, though. We haven't had enough good players. Donald is a Pro Bowler, but last year he was the only one on offense or defense that is. That's not going to get it done.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That would be @-X- thread;

Dr-Steve-Brule.gif
Keep acting like you wouldn't tear her pant suit off with your teeth.

…..

Legend
What was Warren Sapp's impact on the Bucs? They made him the highest paid defender in NFL history after year three even though they had had an overall losing record with him to that point.

DTs can be valuable components to a winning team. They can't do it on their own, though. We haven't had enough good players. Donald is a Pro Bowler, but last year he was the only one on offense or defense that is. That's not going to get it done.

Good point. It's still a team game last time I checked. Of the players I mentioned, I would say Sapp and Donald had/have the largest impact amongst the group towards their teams success. By a Large margin I might add. No real measure device of course. It's not like football has a stat matrix lik
e baseball's WAR, or wins above replacement.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
50 pages? Maybe we should see if we can get Trump to tweet about it?

"Aaron Donald gets bad advice. The worst. Todd France? terrible. France should surrender like France always does. Donald - get to work! Make the Rams Great Again. Sad"

(That was a joke. Please don't get political.)

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Trying to hit page 60? I'll chip in!

Rams Already Failing As Aaron Donald Expected To Miss Opener Vs. Colts
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gabeza...xpected-to-miss-opener-vs-colts/#3334788819fc

Gabe Zaldivar , CONTRIBUTOR

The Los Angeles Rams won all of four games in their return to Hollywood last season. They welcome the Chargers into the city limits and are now vying not only for wins but also the love and affection of a town starved for success on the gridiron.

The same team that made Sunday depression a city-wide tradition when it was here previously will now begin its second season in the reboot era without its best player. Aaron Donald is now reportedly expected to miss the opener against the Indianapolis Colts amid a holdout that has now lasted the majority of the summer.

960x0.jpg

MANHATTAN BEACH, CA - MARCH 04: Aaron Donald #99 of the Los Angeles Rams attends the Los Angeles Rams Media Availability on March 4, 2016 in Manhattan Beach, California. (Photo by Leon Bennett/Getty Images)

It may take some time to come to grips with the idea of being without one of the best defenders in the league, especially when this is the same team that threw $42-million at the diminutive Tavon Austin just last year.

Adam Schefter, via ESPN, reports the star defensive tackle will more than likely miss the start of the season. I wouldn't suggest, just days before kickoff, to commence holding your breath that a deal might be worked out to sidestep what will assuredly be a major blight on an otherwise festive day.

As recently as Wednesday, Donald was in Pittsburgh. Modern aviation what it is, this is hardly a nail in the coffin to the 26-year-old showing up shortly. However, it illustrates a man perfectly content to ride this ploy out until he gets what he feels he deserves.

What's more staggering in all this are the numbers behind Donald who remains a defensive stalwart. According to Spotrac, he is owed a base salary of $1.8 million this season, with that number jumping to roughly $6.8 million in 2018 in the form of a fifth-year option. All of which make up a major part of the four-year $10.1-million deal he initially signed as a rookie.

Understanding the kind of sport in which he dominates, Donald would like assurances sooner rather than later. In a gladiator sport that can take players off the field due to injury at any time, Donald isn't about to risk millions while playing for relative pittance.

CBS Sports' Will Brinson is one of many who put the plausible Donald demands at about $20 million per year, or, as the more observant will notice, a shade more than the $19 million a year Ndamukong Suh is getting on his $119-million contract with the Dolphins.

Benjamin Allbright went a step further and tweeted that Donald may also want his guaranteed money up front.

View: https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/905835010367750144

Brinson also mentions that the Rams still have Donald under remarkable value, so it behooves the organization to play this one as if it has the upper hand. This franchise, still trying to woo fans back into a massive stadium, will instead suit up without its brightest star. An organization that would love for this town to flock to sports bars and actually care will instead negotiate with someone who deserves a massive raise.

We now have the football version of chicken as both sides dig in for the long haul. Brinson's report hints at the unthinkable, that Donald could miss a significant portion of the season if not the entire year.

He is already facing a remarkable set of financial circumstances. He continues to suffer a $40,000 hit to the wallet every day he is absent and will also lose money every game he is out, in upwards of $105,000 per contest, via NBC Sports.

First-year coach Sean McVay stated earlier in the week: "I’m optimistic that we’re going to continue to work to find a solution. That being said, if we’re not able to, the game goes on Sunday at one o’clock, there’s going to be a kickoff and it’s going to be a great opportunity for us to come together as a team and see if we can come away with a W against a great opponent," via L.A. Daily News.

The Rams face the Colts at home, against Scott Tolzien who takes over for the hampered Andrew Luck at quarterback. It is indeed fortuitous for L.A. who will now start rookie Tanzel Smart in Donald's absence.

L.A. may indeed get over on the Colts, which would bring them a quarter of the way to tying last year's abysmal record. However, with some fans looking at a franchise nickel-and-diming one of the sport's greats, they are already entering the game from behind.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
The NFL’s best defensive player may sit out indefinitely, and no one is talking about it
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-indefinitely-and-no-one-is-talking-about-it/
By Adam Kilgore September 6

The best defensive player in football might not play on the NFL’s opening weekend, and hardly anyone has noticed. The smallest developments in the NFL are discussed and analyzed to a granular level, and yet the holdout of Aaron Donald has been overlooked, somehow buried in the storm of preseason predictions and Ezekiel Elliott’s suspension and ensuing legal saga. The lack of attention proves, again, Donald is the NFL superstar who deserves to be treated more like a superstar.

The Los Angeles Rams should be the first ones to take heed. Donald has sat out all training camp, exposing himself to potential fines of up to $40,000 per day, should the Rams choose to impose them. The sides remain at an impasse as the team prepares to open the regular season Sunday against the Indianapolis Colts. Star players holding out and sitting for games once happened a few times annually, but it has become nearly nonexistent. Donald is days away from breaking the trend. It’s mystifying that any team would let it happen, and it’s preposterous for the Rams in particular.

[Power Rankings: The Patriots have lapped the field]

Donald is scheduled to make $1.8 million this season and $6.9 million next year on the rookie contract he signed as the 13th pick of the 2014 draft. He has outperformed the deal to a laughable extent, and he has reached the stage of his career when elite-among-elite players often get their deals torn up for a rich extension. He wants – and should get – a new contract. The Rams have not agreed on terms, and so Donald is not playing.

“I’m optimistic that we’re going to continue to work to find a solution,” Rams Coach Sean McVay said at his news conference Monday. “If we’re not able to, the game goes on Sunday at 1 o’clock. There’s going to be a kickoff.”

NFL Preview 2017

The Favorites: New England Patriots

The Challengers
Falcons | Steelers | Cowboys
Packers | Seahawks | Raiders

The Rams are uniquely unqualified to argue against giving Donald a lucrative new deal. Last year, they handed disappointing wide receiver Tavon Austin, the eighth overall pick in 2013, a four-year, $42 million contract with $28.5 million in guarantees. Entering last year, Austin was a tantalizing unproductive wide receiver who had never reached even 500 yards in a season. He didn’t do much to prove the Rams prescient, gaining 668 yards from scrimmage in 2016.

Not all NFL teams are willing to tear up rookie deals after their third year, but the Rams proved they are. And if they think Austin is worth $10.5 million a year, they should value Donald somewhere around the GDP.

[Michael Bennett: ‘I’m going to die for no other reason than I am black.’]

Few players are in Donald’s class. Pro Football Focus called Donald the best player in the NFL – not best interior lineman or defensive player, the best player – in 2015 and the second-best player last year. He recorded the third-most quarterback pressures in the league last year, a remarkable feat for a player who lines up exclusively on the interior.

At the draft combine in 2014, he ran the 40-yard dash faster than any defensive tackle had before. His quickness and low center of gravity make him unblockable. In a league of freakish physical attributes, Donald stands out. And he turns those tools into production like few, if any, of his peers. He has 19 sacks over the last two years, an enviable total for an edge rusher and a ridiculous total for a tackle who sees constant double teams and also defends the run at an elite level.

[The best and worst fantasy football matchups for Week 1]

It’s fair to wonder whether Donald is the closest thing in the NFL to J.J. Watt or vice versa. Either way, Watt provides a fair template for how the Rams should view Donald. Donald’s low salary affords the Rams negotiating leverage. But the Houston Texans held the same advantage over Watt entering his fourth season, and they chose to make Watt the highest-paid defensive player in the league. The Rams have no excuse not to do the same for Donald, based on their own precedent and across the league.

McVay offered the typical boilerplate about how the Rams could take on the Colts without Donald, that they’ve had all training camp to evaluate and indoctrinate other defensive tackles. But they’re not Aaron Donald, because nobody is. The Rams should pay him. It would help them win, and it would get one of the very best football players in the world back on the field.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
In all seriousness to this hold out, does anyone know:

A. How much the Rams have offered?
B. How much is Donald asking?

I've read that the Rams have put an offer on the table that would make Donald the highest D player ever (which would be about $20m a year + a guaranteed salary of over $60m) but Donald wanted more. Does he want QB - level pay, does he want to be the highest paid player??

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't care anymore....I am counting Donald like he's injured and I've moved on with wanting to see Tanzel Smart do well, because that's who we have that wants to play for us. Donald comes back in a few games? Ok, but I'm not holding my breath.