The official Aaron Donald holdout thread - #Questfor100

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tempests

Hall of Fame
IMO we've been staying patient waiting for him to report instead of 100% proactively looking for a solution.

Aaron is the one biding his time, waiting for something to happen.

There may be nothing to any of these leaks but there is one piece of information that has remained consistent throughout; the Rams have been trying to find a solution.

What you're describing is more like the lack of movement with Trumaine Johnson.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I get you man but at the end of the day he's going to miss games. The best player on our team is not signed heading into the most important season we've had in a while, WITH the best team we've had in a while.

Just frustrating we can't find a solution...

I get that. I'm frustrated too. But I'm not going to blame the Rams when we only have two real facts to go on:
1) we know absolutely nothing of value in this situation
2) the unsubstantiated, groundless, and untrustworthy rumors almost universally point to the Rams trying really freaking hard to get this done with a contact that pays him well

Anything else is emotional guess work.

I have a lot of conflicting feelings on this, but I'm not going to judge who is wrong or right, just what I'd like to see based on my opinion.

And I say that because it seemed to me that you were placing all the blame on the Rams when we have no real facts that indicate blame on anyone.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get that. I'm frustrated too. But I'm not going to blame the Rams when we only have two real facts to go on:
1) we know absolutely nothing of value in this situation
2) the unsubstantiated, groundless, and untrustworthy rumors almost universally point to the Rams trying really freaking hard to get this done with a contact that pays him well

Anything else is emotional guess work.

I have a lot of conflicting feelings on this, but I'm not going to judge who is wrong or right, just what I'd like to see based on my opinion.

And I say that because it seemed to me that you were placing all the blame on the Rams when we have no real facts that indicate blame on anyone.

Blaming the Rams is every bit as valid as blaming Donald.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get you man but at the end of the day he's going to miss games. The best player on our team is not signed heading into the most important season we've had in a while, WITH the best team we've had in a while.

I bolded part. In fact, AD IS signed. He hasn't reported despite his contract. Now, in fact I understand wanting to renegotiate, since his initial contract was constrained by the CBA, which he hadn't agreed to. However, he did get over $10 million guaranteed, despite not being considered a sure fire star when he was drafted.

The Rams want to pay him - none of us know all the details, how much of a raise he is offered, although I have no doubt it's substantial.

Sometimes there is not a good solution to a problem, though. If AD is intent on blowing away every other defensive player contract, despite it coming two years early, and is unwilling to accept just being the highest paid for instance, there might not be a good solution from the Rams' perspective.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I still get the feeling AD just doesn't want to be a Ram. He is an East coast guy and I can see him trying to force a trade and set a dangerous precedent. Such a shame the Rams have been such a disaster of a franchise for so long that our first bonofide star in forever can't wait to get out of dodge. All speculation on my part....and I hate myself for feeling this way.

…..

Legend
What's a "good" offer? What is Donald asking? What are the Rams offering? The Rams leaking to Schefter that they have made "good offers" to turn the fans against Donald is just a negotiating tactic.

A good offer is anywhere near what Suh and Miller are getting.How do YOU know they havent made such offers? How do you know the Rams have not made offers in excess of that? Why are you assuming the Rams are trying to turn the fans against Donald?

The Rams have showed us in recent years nothing but good faith in dealing with players and salaries. Maybe too good. Why are you assuming, with the evidence of recent deals, that the Rams are somehow trying to NOT give AD a fantastic deal?

Why is it silly to expect players to negotiate in a professional manner? Why is it okay with you that a player can stand in the corner and scream " I want my money or I wont play?"

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I still get the feeling AD just doesn't want to be a Ram. He is an East coast guy
A Fisher guy obviously. His motivation flew the coop when Fisher got booted. It may be hard for others to fathom, but his true colors are showing.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
IMO, at this point the AD situation needs to be put on the back burner. As fans, we can continue to beat the dead horse, but it's to no avail. The media will continue to try and make it a focal point of the team, while the FO continues to try and get a deal done. I'm very much over the soap opera called "The AD Holdout." It's time to get focused on the Rams having a great season with the 53 we have on the active roster and the 10 we have on the practice squad. AD can continue his holdout until hell freezes over as far as I'm concerned.

Rainram

Starter
Trade deadline is October 31 - after week 8. If he hasn't reported by then, I doubt he'll still be a Ram. He'll be traded to some contender that won't mind him reporting in a few weeks, and playing into shape in time for the playoffs.

That's one scenario I don't see playing out. If it's a playoff contender they're not giving up worthwhile players. And what picks in the bottom 2/3 of the draft are we gonna get? Nah.

It's feeling like a half-year for Aaron Donald. If they can't reach an agreement (either because they differ on his value, or the language of the contract, or simply because we don't have the cap space), then he'll protect his investment (himself), by doing the required minimum (come back week 8). and hope for a deal in the off-season. If one still can't be reached before the draft, the Rams trade him for picks/players.

Hope I'm wrong.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
roflbot.jpg

RedRam

Pro Bowler
Lol no Red I'm not his family...well kinda :).

He deserves to be the best paid player at his position...right or wrong? The leaks saying we are "no where close" leads me to believe we're not even in the same ballpark. I think if we were offering him top DT money right now he's in the building. Just speculating but wouldn't that seem likely?

My point about risking unnecessary losses is that we're in a new market now. We are heading into our 2nd year in LA and are now competing against the Chargers to acquire new fans. Can we afford another let down year like last year? I think our ownership wants to avoid that at all costs.

And if you're going to take a financial "risk" don't you think it's better to do so with the best defensive player in the game? Instead of Tavon Austin? Instead of Tru? We didn't hesitate in years past and now we have hindsight on the other contracts and aren't doing all we can to get him singed.

His intangibles and leadership are invaluable to us.
Uh huh...thanks for stopping by Aaron! Now get to work!

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I'm so over this shit, he reneged on his contract, doesn't feel paying dues applies

He can sit out the entire year as far as I'm concerned

Move on

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
If the Rams have made the offer of making him the highest paid defender, I wouldn't call him back anymore. I'd move on this season without him and his ass wouldn't see an NFL field until he was traded in a very favorable trade or their power to stop him expires. Like I've said before, McVay shouldn't utter his name again nor field a question about him until he's in uniform. It's time to play football come Sunday and everybody that is willing and able to play will be there. Time for bullshitting has past!

nighttrain

Legend

He is the best player, but not the most important
train

nighttrain

Legend
IMO, at this point the AD situation needs to be put on the back burner. As fans, we can continue to beat the dead horse, but it's to no avail. The media will continue to try and make it a focal point of the team, while the FO continues to try and get a deal done. I'm very much over the soap opera called "The AD Holdout." It's time to get focused on the Rams having a great season with the 53 we have on the active roster and the 10 we have on the practice squad. AD can continue his holdout until hell freezes over as far as I'm concerned.

pretty much
train

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A good offer is anywhere near what Suh and Miller are getting.How do YOU know they havent made such offers? How do you know the Rams have not made offers in excess of that? Why are you assuming the Rams are trying to turn the fans against Donald?

The Rams have showed us in recent years nothing but good faith in dealing with players and salaries. Maybe too good. Why are you assuming, with the evidence of recent deals, that the Rams are somehow trying to NOT give AD a fantastic deal?

Why is it silly to expect players to negotiate in a professional manner? Why is it okay with you that a player can stand in the corner and scream " I want my money or I wont play?"

I don't. That's the point I'm making. None of us know. We're not privy with that. However, it's easy to figure out that the Rams leaking info to Schefter is to benefit their own cause.