The official Aaron Donald holdout thread - #Questfor100

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Up front money can't be the only thing holding up a deal can it? If he doesn't get an extension this year he's not getting zero additional up front money this season. And last I checked some is better than none

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
see you week 10 donald. hope the rams pull the offer and worry about the 53 that want to be here.

Trade deadline is October 31 - after week 8. If he hasn't reported by then, I doubt he'll still be a Ram. He'll be traded to some contender that won't mind him reporting in a few weeks, and playing into shape in time for the playoffs.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Have you considered a different calendar?
update-cal-coveradded.jpg

Surprised no fake bombs on the cover :hiding:

MachS

Hall of Fame
I know everyone has their own opinion on this, but what the hell are we doing?? The guy has been 100% what we dreamed for when we drafted him and we're in this dispute because we don't want to pay him what he deserves.

How do you quantify the lost revenue from us going 0-5 or 1-4 without him? Who knows if we lose that much but our internal D line is very suspect now without him. Smart and Ethan Westbrooks should not be starters (maybe Tanzel develops but he's a rookie).

I get he still has two more years on his deal but we're in a stalemate over what? 5M? 10M? I get being fiscally responsible remains the top priority, BUT with a player like this? We overpaid Tavon by a mile and that contract is a JOKE. We fucked up with Tru's contract so what we're afraid to commit now?

IMO when you have a player this dominant that has this big of an effect on the field and in the locker room, you pay him. His production alone the last 3 years should justify being the top paid defensive player in the league. Reports are now saying we are "no where" close to a contract resolution and what if he's out until week 3,4,5? Then he's going to be rusty and out of "game shape" in terms of cardio for at least another week or two. So we could potentially be throwing away a third of our season or more because we don't want to budge.

I just don't know if we're taking the correct approach here...time will tell.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know everyone has their own opinion on this, but what the hell are we doing?? The guy has been 100% what we dreamed for when we drafted him and we're in this dispute because we don't want to pay him what he deserves.

How do you quantify the lost revenue from us going 0-5 or 1-4 without him? Who knows if we lose that much but our internal D line is very suspect now without him. Smart and Ethan Westbrooks should not be starters (maybe Tanzel develops but he's a rookie).

I get he still has two more years on his deal but we're in a stalemate over what? 5M? 10M? I get being fiscally responsible remains the top priority, BUT with a player like this? We overpaid Tavon by a mile and that contract is a JOKE. We freaked up with Tru's contract so what we're afraid to commit now?

IMO when you have a player this dominant that has this big of an effect on the field and in the locker room, you pay him. His production alone the last 3 years should justify being the top paid defensive player in the league. Reports are now saying we are "no where" close to a contract resolution and what if he's out until week 3,4,5? Then he's going to be rusty and out of "game shape" in terms of cardio for at least another week or two. So we could potentially be throwing away a third of our season or more because we don't want to budge.

Of course the reports are that the Rams have made multiple "fair" offers, which I interpret (perhaps wrongly) as being ginormous, record setting in one way or other for defensive players. At some point the Rams have to stand firm, or players will keep asking for more - which with the salary cap means that good players will have to be let go.

BTW, what makes you think that the Rams aren't offering what he deserves? Even before the leaks, I would have been surprised if they weren't trying to make him the highest paid defensive player - all the more amazing since they control him for years to come.

RedRam

Pro Bowler

I get he still has two more years on his deal but we're in a stalemate over what? 5M? 10M? I get being fiscally responsible remains the top priority, BUT with a player like this? We overpaid Tavon by a mile and that contract is a JOKE. We freaked up with Tru's contract so what we're afraid to commit now?

We don't want to pay him what he deserves? How is it you know that? What's the number he deserves?

It gets quantified in the same way it has every year that we've sucked with AD?

Again, how do you know what the number is? Maybe you don't get what being fiscally responsible means. Yes, the Rams freaked up with the Austin deal. So, they should go ahead and keep making bad financial decisions that obviously hurt the team?

Are you AD? His agent? Family??

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I would love to see Aaron playing but the rams are doing the right thing for the future. There is alot of young guys on this team, and they cannot let them all think they can punk the team into changing their rookie contracts. You got drafted into the NFL, play out your rookie contact and then if your get enough get paid ! This makes me mad because Donald doesn't seem like this kind of guy, this defense will lose alot of talent next season if they pay him top money.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Schefter was on the radio this morning. Said rams have made multiple "good" offers but Donald still hasn't agreed to any.

freak him.

What's a "good" offer? What is Donald asking? What are the Rams offering? The Rams leaking to Schefter that they have made "good offers" to turn the fans against Donald is just a negotiating tactic.

And lets not pretend they need any fans validation for what they're doing because they're not doing it for us.

They are doing it for the fans. Sure, they're being paid to do it, but at the end of the game, the entire NFL business model is built on entertaining the fans.

They're doing it so they can earn the kind of money that will set their families up for generations. Which is great and they're entitled to do it. I don't have an issue with the players or owners earning the stupid amounts of money they do. My issue with AD and his representation is how they're going about doing it.

This seems a bit silly. You're fine with Donald wanting to get paid, but you're not okay with him taking the action he feels he needs to take to get paid.

For better or worse, if the Rams were willing to give him the money he feels he's worth, he'd be on the field now.

MachS

Hall of Fame
We don't want to pay him what he deserves? How is it you know that? What's the number he deserves?

It gets quantified in the same way it has every year that we've sucked with AD?

Again, how do you know what the number is? Maybe you don't get what being fiscally responsible means. Yes, the Rams freaked up with the Austin deal. So, they should go ahead and keep making bad financial decisions that obviously hurt the team?

Are you AD? His agent? Family??

Lol no Red I'm not his family...well kinda :).

He deserves to be the best paid player at his position...right or wrong? The leaks saying we are "no where close" leads me to believe we're not even in the same ballpark. I think if we were offering him top DT money right now he's in the building. Just speculating but wouldn't that seem likely?

My point about risking unnecessary losses is that we're in a new market now. We are heading into our 2nd year in LA and are now competing against the Chargers to acquire new fans. Can we afford another let down year like last year? I think our ownership wants to avoid that at all costs.

And if you're going to take a financial "risk" don't you think it's better to do so with the best defensive player in the game? Instead of Tavon Austin? Instead of Tru? We didn't hesitate in years past and now we have hindsight on the other contracts and aren't doing all we can to get him singed.

His intangibles and leadership are invaluable to us.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We didn't hesitate in years past and now we have hindsight on the other contracts and aren't doing all we can to get him singed.

Thank you for your blind speculation since you have no idea at all what the team is doing to try to get him signed.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Lol no Red I'm not his family...well kinda :).

He deserves to be the best paid player at his position...right or wrong? The leaks saying we are "no where close" leads me to believe we're not even in the same ballpark. I think if we were offering him top DT money right now he's in the building. Just speculating but wouldn't that seem likely?

My point about risking unnecessary losses is that we're in a new market now. We are heading into our 2nd year in LA and are now competing against the Chargers to acquire new fans. Can we afford another let down year like last year? I think our ownership wants to avoid that at all costs.

And if you're going to take a financial "risk" don't you think it's better to do so with the best defensive player in the game? Instead of Tavon Austin? Instead of Tru? We didn't hesitate in years past and now we have hindsight on the other contracts and aren't doing all we can to get him singed.

His intangibles and leadership are invaluable to us.

So the one or two saying they weren't close, which could be for a number of reasons that aren't the actual dollar amount, trump the multiple reports that they've offered to make him the top paid defensive player, made a substantial offer, that they offered $45m in guaranteed money plus more, and the lone report that they were close but working on the structure?

I guess you get to pick the reality you think you live in man.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
How do you quantify the lost revenue from us going 0-5 or 1-4 without him? Who knows if we lose that much but our internal D line is very suspect now without him.

I don't agree with this. The Rams played the 49ers twice last season. The 49ers were one the worst teams in the league and the Rams lost BOTH games with AD on the field for both games. He did not make a difference in those 2 games. The Rams defense last year was ranked in the middle of the pack. I don't think he should be the highest paid defensive player in the league, if that's what you are implying.
If it was up to me, I would take some salary from Tavon Austin, Mark Barron, MIchael Brockers, Trumaine Johnson and Robert Quinn and give it to AD.

MachS

Hall of Fame
So the one or two saying they weren't close, which could be for a number of reasons that aren't the actual dollar amount, trump the multiple reports that they've offered to make him the top paid defensive player, made a substantial offer, that they offered $45m in guaranteed money plus more, and the lone report that they were close but working on the structure?

I guess you get to pick the reality you think you live in man.

I get you man but at the end of the day he's going to miss games. The best player on our team is not signed heading into the most important season we've had in a while, WITH the best team we've had in a while.

Just frustrating we can't find a solution...

MachS

Hall of Fame
It's all speculation OS..the heart of our team hasn't been in the building all off-season that's the fact. New regime and new outlook this year I would've figured there would be more urgency.

IMO we've been staying patient waiting for him to report instead of 100% proactively looking for a solution.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's all speculation OS..the heart of our team hasn't been in the building all off-season that's the fact. New regime and new outlook this year I would've figured there would be more urgency.

IMO we've been staying patient waiting for him to report instead of 100% proactively looking for a solution.
For all we know there is a ton of urgency that's the only reason I responded. You're laying the blame on the team and we don't know the details. Stop blaming the team until we know the details. If it turns out we've offered him to be the highest paid defender and more guaranteed than Von Miller like is rumored, again rumored, then how is that the teams fault he hasn't accepted it? There are two parties at fault here both deserve the blame for AD not being with the team. And sorry You want to call him the heart of the team but anybody who isn't there to help his team and make himself and everybody else better doesn't get heart of the team designation. Yes when he's there he's a great player. Heart of the team doesn't leave the rest of the team hanging.