The official Aaron Donald holdout thread - #Questfor100

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Getting hard to have any empathy for ad. Not the start to the season we wanted. It would be nice if this thread went away so we don't have to be reminded that he's not with the team. It might be time for mcvay not to answer any ad questions. He's not part of the team until he stops his hold out.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'm trying my hardest to reserve judgement until I have the facts. I still don't see what AD's expected end game is here - he has to be banking on the Rams upping their offer from here. I don't see why the Rams would do that now.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm trying my hardest to reserve judgement until I have the facts. I still don't see what AD's expected end game is here - he has to be banking on the Rams upping their offer from here. I don't see why the Rams would do that now.
If I'm the Rams no more offers until he's playing.

socalrams90

Starter
F him. I like many others here have reserved judgment on the guy but its obvious he's a greedy punk.

Let him sit. Fine him. Move on.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I had a nickel for every time I checked this thread to see if Aaron Donald signed, I would pay him myself!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If the Colts run for 299 yards....pass for 200....

Everyone will be singing a different tune.....Emmitt Smith held out once...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I mistakenly opened page 1 of this thread, instead of 1st unread, and was amazed to see exactly the same info that's being said today.
Its like "literally" the same posts
Haha

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Of course - we are assuming that the Rams "substantial offer" really is a fair deal. They could be overplaying their leverage a tad. We have kind of assumed AD would be the highest paid defensive player in history but maybe they haven't offered that?
It has been reported .. byt quite a few sources, that the rams are willing and have offered to make him the highest paind Def. player in the NFL. AD is holding out for demands that really aren't reasonable. Again. Read the whole article. This isn't the Rams being cheap... it's the Rams looking out for their future ,and if AD doesn't care, then I say let him sit.

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/08/3...s-arent-budging-its-time-to-get-back-to-work/

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Colts run for 299 yards....pass for 200....

Everyone will be singing a different tune.....Emmitt Smith held out once...
Yeah if the defense plays bad and our best player is sitting on his ass I'll think even less of him.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
As this continues, I think Aarons in a no win situation with alot of fans. If the rams win, then more fans will look for a trade or to just keep him inactive this year. If the rams lose, especially close ones, fans will place much of the blame on him. The rams have maybe their best offseason ever with finally bringing in the right coaching staff, an awesome draft considering the picks we had initially, great FA additions and subtractions, the whole we not me mantra, things are looking so much better than last and now we're barely losing games as our best player who was offered more money than any defender in nfl history wants a ridiculous opt out clause that no team will agree to? Yeah, I see some donald jerseys being canceled.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Realistically , how would that look to potential free agents ...would the Rams really do that?
Again .. the Rams HAVE made the fair offer. Ian Rappaport has said it, Adam Schefter has said it, Allbright has said it and Vinny Bonsignore has said it. AD wants contract structure that would hurt the teams CAP and strangle them in the very near future ,while also giving AD the ability to get another mega deal within 3-4 yrs.

No .. the team should NOT budge. They aren't being cheap. They are being prudent. AD and his reps are being greedy. They don't have the leverage and the Rams do. Even Nate Burleson said yesterday on NFLNet that he wouldn't give in to his demands. It sets a bad president not only for the Rams in future negotiations, but for the league as a whole. AD is asking for things NO player has ever gotten ... not while still being under contract for two more yrs AND only 3 yrs into his career.

Once I heard ( and have heard by several sources) what the Rams have offered and what demands AD wants and is holding out for, I am totally behind the team on this.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I mistakenly opened page 1 of this thread, instead of 1st unread, and was amazed to see exactly the same info that's being said today.
Its like "literally" the same posts
Haha

We've all been waiting for something new. But its been the same since the beginning of camp. Groundhog day all over again.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Yeah if the defense plays bad and our best player is sitting on his ass I'll think even less of him.
it's called...leverage....that's all people spoke about...now, when you see his REAL leverage, you wanna get all pissed. LOL

You THINK AD doesn't wanna play? They guy got up at 5am EVERYDAY...as a 12 year old to lift weights to get better...you think our hardest worker doesn't wanna play? It's about fair...and what's right. He's earned it. And the Rams have shown they pay guys...not only on what they've done, but what they WILL do (Tavon & Quinn) with 2 years left on contracts. Precedent set.

You're bigger than that man oleschool...AD...no matter how bad this looks, is right. Look no further than Odell....less physical position...and he plays....and almost got ruined.

Guarantee the man his money, that he's earned. And he'll be here showing Smart, Walker, Westbrooks, Brockers, and others how to get Son of Bums defense running.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
It has been reported .. byt quite a few sources, that the rams are willing and have offered to make him the highest paind Def. player in the NFL. AD is holding out for demands that really aren't reasonable. Again. Read the whole article. This isn't the Rams being cheap... it's the Rams looking out for their future ,and if AD doesn't care, then I say let him sit.

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/08/3...s-arent-budging-its-time-to-get-back-to-work/

If Vinny's article is the source you cite, I don't read it that way. Here is as close as it comes:

"And while they won’t say so publicly, there is a strong sense they’ve made it clear they are open to making Donald the highest-paid defensive player in the league relative to annual average salary while guaranteeing him a life-changing amount of money."

Thats not a report, thats conjecture. I'm not saying they haven't made such an offer - but there is no report out there that says that they have.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Again .. the Rams HAVE made the fair offer. Ian Rappaport has said it, Adam Schefter has said it, Allbright has said it and Vinny Bonsignore has said it. AD wants contract structure that would hurt the teams CAP and strangle them in the very near future ,while also giving AD the ability to get another mega deal within 3-4 yrs.

No .. the team should NOT budge. They aren't being cheap. They are being prudent. AD and his reps are being greedy. They don't have the leverage and the Rams do. Even Nate Burleson said yesterday on NFLNet that he wouldn't give in to his demands. It sets a bad president not only for the Rams in future negotiations, but for the league as a whole. AD is asking for things NO player has ever gotten ... not while still being under contract for two more yrs AND only 3 yrs into his career.

Once I heard ( and have heard by several sources) what the Rams have offered and what demands AD wants and is holding out for, I am totally behind the team on this.

At the beginning most fans were on his side. Most of us thought he would return by now. Its clear he's committed to staying out until he wants. Or at least his agents are. Its not their careers to worry about. I have a feeling he's getting bad advice.

I'm sure its killing him not to be with his teammates. But its also killing us as fans. We finally look like we're going in the right direction with the offense and now our defense isn't at its best without him. My support for him has waned. I would rather sign him to a deal thats good for both sides. But if he isn't willing to budge I'll accept him sitting out the season. It will hurt him more than the team. Next man up.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
a bad president

No politics please.

keep-calm-im-just-messing-with-you.png

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
If Vinny's article is the source you cite, I don't read it that way. Here is as close as it comes:

"And while they won’t say so publicly, there is a strong sense they’ve made it clear they are open to making Donald the highest-paid defensive player in the league relative to annual average salary while guaranteeing him a life-changing amount of money."

Thats not a report, thats conjecture. I'm not saying they haven't made such an offer - but there is no report out there that says that they have.
Again ... the TEAM is not making it public. they don't want to negotiate thru the media (classs) But Rappaport, Schefter, Allbright and Bonsignore have came out to say they have a pretty good idea of the offer and the demands. Now where they all got the info... IDK .. but they all have gotten it from somewhere, and they all fall inline with each other. These aren't guys who just throw shit out there, So I trust the info. To me ... only people who hold some kind of grudge against the Rams FO would keep assuming it is wrong. There has been NO reporting of the Rams being either "cheap" or "unwilling" to give him the contract.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
it's called...leverage....that's all people spoke about...now, when you see his REAL leverage, you wanna get all ticked. LOL

You THINK AD doesn't wanna play? They guy got up at 5am EVERYDAY...as a 12 year old to lift weights to get better...you think our hardest worker doesn't wanna play? It's about fair...and what's right. He's earned it. And the Rams have shown they pay guys...not only on what they've done, but what they WILL do (Tavon & Quinn) with 2 years left on contracts. Precedent set.

You're bigger than that man oleschool...AD...no matter how bad this looks, is right. Look no further than Odell....less physical position...and he plays....and almost got ruined.

Guarantee the man his money, that he's earned. And he'll be here showing Smart, Walker, Westbrooks, Brockers, and others how to get Son of Bums defense running.
If AD wanted to play he'd be playing. His leverage is to sit out all but 6 games for the next five years and make a fraction of his earning potential while torpedoing his career.

He absolutely has earned an extension and was offered to be the highest paid defensive player in the game. But apparently that wasn't enough to get this guy who really wants to play out on the field.

He's not right, Zach Martin and Odell Beckham Jr are right and are better men and teammates.

Also people need to get the hell over Fisher giving out contracts to Quinn and Tavon. He's not here anymore and no other team is doing that. It'd be an issue if the Raiders were extending Mack, oh another player on the field in the same contract situation. One that won an award for being the best defender is actually playing? I guess he doesn't love the game as much as AD.

Until AD shows up and plays all he's showing us fans is he is less of a player and teammate than all those other 1st rounders in his draft class that are actually earning their checks and helping their teams.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
As this continues, I think Aarons in a no win situation with alot of fans. If the rams win, then more fans will look for a trade or to just keep him inactive this year. If the rams lose, especially close ones, fans will place much of the blame on him. The rams have maybe their best offseason ever with finally bringing in the right coaching staff, an awesome draft considering the picks we had initially, great FA additions and subtractions, the whole we not me mantra, things are looking so much better than last and now we're barely losing games as our best player who was offered more money than any defender in nfl history wants a ridiculous opt out clause that no team will agree to? Yeah, I see some donald jerseys being canceled

Screw the trade. Let him sit and let his leverage whither away on the vine. If he sits the whole year, he's just extended the amount of time the Rams can have control over him, and meanwhile, he has a year sitting at home making unreasonable contract demands, which will mitigate some of his value. Plus, he will have to show up by 30 days prior to the opener next year, or lose yet another year of free agency eligibility.

If he sits for a chunk of the year, but shows up for the last 6 games or so in order to get his year of eligibility, I find it hard to believe that he will be as effective as he has been. At that point, what incentive would any team have to make him an offer that would make him the highest paid defensive player in the league?

Basically, AD has spent all of his leverage. In either of the above scenarios, if Donald comes back next season and again demands to be the highest paid player in the league, the Rams can very likely answer with something like "Aaron, you were the best defensive player in 2016, and we tried to reward you by making you the highest paid defensive player at the beginning of 2017, but it wasn't enough. Now, with 2017 in the books, you're no longer the best defensive player in the league, so why should we pay you like that?"

Ditto everything you said.

Twice.

If the Rams are offering him a contract that makes him the highest paid defender in the NFL, you can be sure it comes with a sh!tload of guaranteed money. At this point, the only thing preventing Aaron Donald from getting his guaranteed money is Aaron Donald.