The official Aaron Donald holdout thread - #Questfor100

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Not that hard. His base salary this year is 1.8 million. Reduce it by a million, give him a $5 million signing bonus so he counts the same this year. Next year and the year after he gets a much higher guaranteed salary and roster bonuses, maybe for 3-4 years. Gets a nice raise for this year, and a huge amount of guaranteed money, while still counting the same against the cap this year.

I'm not sure how to properly phrase this, but I thought there was a rule where NFL salary requirements for a player under contract for multiple years dealt with a percentage amount between each year where pay must be within a certain amount of the previous year ? What I mean to say is, I didn't think you could pay a player a minimum in the first year of a contract and then pay him more than a 20% higher base the next ? My percentages may be off, but seems I recall there was a rule that tried to keep teams from excessive back-loading ? jmo.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1.8 - 1.0 + 5 = 1.8?

Signing bonuses are pro rated for the length of the contract, up to 5 years iirc. So the $5 million counts as $1 million per year. On the other hand, base salary and roster bonuses count for the season they are paid only.

Martyp

UDFA
Name
Marty
Rams won't place deadline on Aaron Donald to end holdout and report

View attachment 21209
Rams defensive lineman Aaron Donald, smiling during a summer practice in June 13, is holding out and believed to be seeking a new deal that would make him the NFL’s highest-paid defensive player. (Wally Skalij / Los Angeles Times)

Gary Klein

As each day passes, Sean McVay’s anxiety grows.

This is the final week of the NFL preseason and the Rams’ first-year coach is still without star defensive tackle Aaron Donald, who remains a holdout because of a contract dispute.

“Every day, there’s a heightened reason in wanting him to be around,” McVay said Sunday.

McVay has said for weeks that Donald’s absence provided opportunities for other players to step up. And several, including Ethan Westbrooks and Louis Trinca-Pasat, have taken advantage of Donald’s absence.

But the Sept. 10 season opener against the Indianapolis Colts is looming.

McVay declined to specify if there is a date that Donald must report to be able to play in the opener.

“What you’ve got to have is, as each day gets closer and if we haven’t come to a resolution, having a plan for that day,” McVay said. “To rule out one of our best players and put a specific date on that I don’t think would be fair to our team or for him, so I don’t want to do that right now.

“But I think the biggest thing that I would stress is we would love to have him around and we’re working hard to try to come to a solution with respect to the process.”

Pro Bowl selection, is believed to be seeking a new deal that would make him the NFL’s highest-paid defensive player.

Pittsburgh Steelers running back Le’Veon Bell also has held out during training camp and the preseason, refusing to sign the $12.1 million franchise tender that was placed upon him.

Bell tweeted and later confirmed to the Columbus Dispatch that he would report Friday, the day after the Steelers’ final preseason game.

There has not been similar word from Donald, who has been accruing daily fines of $40,000 since he failed to report with veterans on July 28. That total now stands at about $1.2 million. Those fines, however, are expected to be creatively addressed by the Rams if and when Donald signs a new contract.

Players are paid only during the regular season, so if Donald does not report before the opener, he also would lose at least one game check.

“That dialogue is ongoing,” McVay said when asked if there was any indication that Donald will report at the conclusion of the preseason. “I know we had some meetings and discussions with their representation and that’s something that we’re working through to try and get figured out as soon as possible.

“If we do, we’ll be excited about that and if not, we’ve got to be ready to adjust and move forward.”

If Donald returns this week or next, he would not be the only Rams starter expected to play in the opener without preseason snaps.

Linebackers Robert Quinn and Mark Barron and cornerback Kayvon Webster have not played because of injuries or what McVay has described as maintenance programs. They will not play in Thursday night’s preseason finale at Green Bay.

Etc.
Starters, including quarterback Jared Goff, will not play against the Packers, McVay said. ... Receiver Tavon Austin, who has been sidelined because of a hamstring injury, will not play against the Packers but is expected to be ready for the opener, McVay said.

[www.latimes.com]
Has anyone heard if they offered him 3 years 120M and he turned it down?

wmc540

Pro Bowler
Signing bonuses are pro rated for the length of the contract, up to 5 years iirc. So the $5 million counts as $1 million per year. On the other hand, base salary and roster bonuses count for the season they are paid only.

Ah. Seems like a light signing bonus.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Good work. However, I can't say this brings me any more to AD's side if the holdup is how much above the highest paid defensive player he'll be getting. If Vinny's info is good (and he's pretty reliable), AD is basically saying that being made the highest paid defensive player isn't enough.

I've just got to shake my head when I hear "how much he loves football". The kind of money such a contract will entail, and the amount of guaranteed money (which is certainly very high) is enough for Aaron and a couple generations of Donalds thereafter to never have to work at anything they don't want to. Just boggles the mind that someone's perspective can become that warped when that much money is not enough.

EasyE

Starter
Good work. However, I can't say this brings me any more to AD's side if the holdup is how much above the highest paid defensive player he'll be getting. If Vinny's info is good (and he's pretty reliable), AD is basically saying that being made the highest paid defensive player isn't enough.

I've just got to shake my head when I hear "how much he loves football". The kind of money such a contract will entail, and the amount of guaranteed money (which is certainly very high) is enough for Aaron and a couple generations of Donalds thereafter to never have to work at anything they don't want to. Just boggles the mind that someone's perspective can become that warped when that much money is not enough.

would give this 2 Thread Winners if i could...

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure how to properly phrase this, but I thought there was a rule where NFL salary requirements for a player under contract for multiple years dealt with a percentage amount between each year where pay must be within a certain amount of the previous year ? What I mean to say is, I didn't think you could pay a player a minimum in the first year of a contract and then pay him more than a 20% higher base the next ? My percentages may be off, but seems I recall there was a rule that tried to keep t eams from excessive back-loading ? jmo.

Not that I'm aware of.

For instance - TA's base salary tripled this year - and his roster bonus nearly tripled. The amount of cash going to him this year is just over 2.5 times as much as in 2016.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Considering all the news about CTE, Donald is sacrificing a lot for that money. He should try to extract every penny. But he also should get his ass on the field.

I'm not sure how to properly phrase this, but I thought there was a rule where NFL salary requirements for a player under contract for multiple years dealt with a percentage amount between each year where pay must be within a certain amount of the previous year ? What I mean to say is, I didn't think you could pay a player a minimum in the first year of a contract and then pay him more than a 20% higher base the next ? My percentages may be off, but seems I recall there was a rule that tried to keep teams from excessive back-loading ? jmo.

Nah. There's no such rule.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ah. Seems like a light signing bonus.

Yeah, but there's very little cap room this season.

The Rams tend to give more in guaranteed roster bonuses than signing bonuses, so they can better control which year the money counts against. The money would still be guaranteed.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I've just got to shake my head when I hear "how much he loves football".

Yep, just heard this refrain again from those hosts at Good Morning Football (posted on the Rams' site). Not sure how much water that holds at this point.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Not that I'm aware of.

For instance - TA's base salary tripled this year - and his roster bonus nearly tripled. The amount of cash going to him this year is just over 2.5 times as much as in 2016.

Possible it was a previous CBA. Maybe just a bad dream.
Anyhow, if it turned out the Rams made a more predictable 6 year, $120mil, with $70.mil guaranteed, how might you design the payouts ? I use these rough figures against Suh's 6 year, $114mil, $60.mil guarantee with a $25mil signing bonus.

EasyE

Starter
Considering all the news about CTE, Donald is sacrificing a lot for that money. He should try to extract every penny. But he also should get his ass on the field.

Nah. There's no such rule.

I would make the argument the average American is at more of a health risk driving to work everyday...

Last edited:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Possible it was a pr, evious CBA. Maybe just a bad dream.
Anyhow, if it turned out the Rams made a more predictable 6 year, $120mil, with $70.mil guaranteed, how might you design the payouts ? I use these rough figures against Suh's 6 year, $114mil, $60.mil guarantee with a $25mil signing bonus.

Hmmm, not sure how the Rams would want to balance it, but it would have to be $118.2 million or so over years 2-6, or just over $23 million per on average. If there is room with all the signings, AD would likely strongly prefer frontloading. Figure $1 million of prorated salary cap, and another $25 to $30 million in salary or roster bonuses for 2018 - much better for AD if it's mostly roster bonus paid the first week of the fiscal year. That would put him already at nearly $36 million guaranteed paid if the higher figure, counting salary cap and the small first year salary. Then more reasonable amounts in other years, so other players can be taken care of.

Psycho_X

Legend
This is how i feel about the AD situation at this point. Will get resolved when it does i suppose.

giphy.gif

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
@jrry32 summed it up perfectly above. With all of the CTE and injury things that are dealt with in this sport, you might as well try to maximize this opportunity - especially considering he seems to be on the older side of the contract renewal process. Go get it AD.

But at the same time. Realize enough is enough and get on the field. Let's build a winning team not a giant house for you AD.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

I understand the risks, and I don't disagree. I would amend it to say "extract every penny you can prior to the need to report to play week 1." If the Rams are offering to make him the highest paid defensive player in the NFL, he's extracted a sh!tload of pennies, certainly enough to declare victory. At this point it should be nothing more than dotting 'i's and crossing 't's.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I would make the argument the average American is at more of a health risk driving to work everyday...

than playing in the NFL? Cmon now.

There are very serious health risks associated with playing in the league and there is significant data to show it.

Not to mention, NFL players also generally have to take cars to work.