The official Aaron Donald holdout thread - #Questfor100

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Honestly I don't think he's close getting signed. If he was, why would Snead say ANYTHING like he did this morning? If he was on the cusp I would think it would be very quiet, or a leak saying a deal was near.

WHOA,WHOA,WHOA...........WHOA......WHOA,......forgot my train of thought....oh yeah, you take that pinko commi propaganda and.......you know, do something with it

Relwolf91

Starter
Name
Sean
Honestly I don't think he's close getting signed. If he was, why would Snead say ANYTHING like he did this morning? If he was on the cusp I would think it would be very quiet, or a leak saying a deal was near.
What did Snead say this morning ? It's been pretty quiet for the last month, other than "we are working on it."

Ram65

Legend

I guess I didn't read all the way down you are are correct.

https://in2theleague.wordpress.com/2013/05/29/nfl-cba-series-credited-vs-accrued-seasons/
Accrued Seasons

Accrued Seasons determine a player’s free agency designations (Art. 8, Sec. 1, 34).

The faster one accrues seasons the faster they can reach free agency, where, especially given the addition of the Rookie Compensation Pool, the bigger money is. If a player hits free agency at a young enough age, they could secure two or three large contracts through free agency.

In order to accrue a season, a player must be on (or should have been on) full pay status for six or more regular season games.

As with players earning Credited Seasons, a player can’t accrue seasons if he is on the Exempt Commissioner Permission List, the Reserve PUP List, a team’s practice squad, or the Injured Reserve List.

There is another parameter for gaining an Accrued Season in the new CBA. Any player under contract with a team that fails to report within 30 days prior to the first regular season game will not receive a season towards free agency.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Every time I see there's a new post in this thread, I open it up hoping that THIS will the one announcing he signed his new deal....

That will be its very own thread where members accuse other members of not being patient enough and for saying mean things about Aaron Donald. Book it!

AD IS SIGNED!!! Will be the title of a couple threads before it makes its way here.

No, they will end up being merged into one thread. Count on that as well.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Weekend forecast

AD signs

Healing begins and completes between rod members

Alcohol enters the scene and flushes out most of the final built up bitterness the holdout has created. More, "I love you man"(s)

The excitement of having AD at practice on Monday keeps us pushing our wives and girlfriends away in the bedroom as we try to post our feelings on rod. That's right, ladies, FEELINGS! don't you have a twilight book to finish?

Anyway, with a bit of luck, we will have all the venom of this ghastly rams chapter sucked from......well, somewhere, anywhere, so that when the rams hit the field a week from Sunday, the colts will wish they would have let their Luck wait another week.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...-optimistic-aaron-donald-will-be-there-week-1

Alden Gonzalez

Sean McVay was asked once again about Aaron Donald after Thursday's preseason finale, and the Los Angeles Rams' head coach sounded a little bit more spirited, a little bit more forthright, a little bit more ... what's the word?

Oh, "optimistic."

McVay used that term four times over the course of three answers to Donald-related questions, the first of which dealt with whether the standout interior lineman will be available for the regular-season opener Sept. 10 against the Indianapolis Colts.

"I think we’re optimistic," McVay told reporters from Green Bay, Wisconsin, after a 24-10 loss in a game of backups. "I think the level of urgency has certainly raised; feel good about that. Certainly those conversations right now are ongoing, but I think right now, I would say I feel optimistic about it."

McVay later went so far as to say he is "definitely optimistic." It might not sound like much, but the 31-year-old rookie head coach hasn't really gone that far since the start of training camp. His answers have centered mostly on the continued efforts of the front office and a desire to keep the focus internal. Maybe it's a sign Donald will finally return to the team -- with a mega-deal on the table, perhaps -- by the end of this week.

It's an important week.

Rams general manager Les Snead said Tuesday it's "probably a safe assumption" that Donald wouldn't be available for the Week 1 game against the Colts if he doesn't report by the end of this week. Snead communicated similar thoughts in the CBS broadcast booth during Thursday's third quarter, saying Donald would probably have to attend the first practice next week -- likely on Monday -- in order to suit up for the opener.

Snead wouldn't handicap the chances of Donald playing in Week 1, merely saying, "We're working very, very hard. It's a priority for us."

"I don’t want to put a certain time clock on it, out of respect for Aaron and really our team as a whole," McVay later added. "What I continue to reiterate is that every day is so vital and important. Obviously the closer you get, the higher the level of urgency there is. That urgency has always been high for us. But the feeling right now is definitely optimistic."

Donald's absence, not to mention Dominique Easley's season-ending knee injury, has at least allowed McVay to get a longer look at other defensive linemen. Ethan Westbrooks, Louis Trinca-Pasat, Morgan Fox and rookie Tanzel Smart all played Thursday, and all seemingly have a chance to be one of three starting down linemen, even if you assume Donald will be available when the season kicks off. The Rams' only solidified starter right now is their nose tackle, Michael Brockers.

Donald, was third in ESPN's NFLRank, is a three-time Pro Bowler and a two-time first-team All-Pro who has compiled 28 sacks in his three-year career, four more than any other defensive tackle from 2014-16. Last season, he led the NFL in quarterback hits (31) and tied for the lead in tackles for loss (17). Heading into this season, many would argue that he is the game's best defensive player, regardless of position.

But he is underpaid, by virtue of the two years that remain on his rookie contract.

Donald is owed less than $9 million in base salary from 2017 to 2018, representing a significant gap between him and the game's highest-paid defensive players. Broncos outside linebacker Von Miller signed a six-year, $114 million contract that guarantees him $70 million, and Dolphins defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh signed a six-year, $114.375 million deal that guarantees him nearly $60 million. But Miller and Suh got their deals after five NFL seasons, not three.

McVay opted against disclosing details about the ongoing negotiations, "but I do feel good about where we’re at," he said. "We know that there’s progress to be made, but optimistic about the direction that we’re going, and the level of urgency that both sides have to try to get Aaron a part of this so that we can have him playing against the Colts."

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Every time I see there's a new post in this thread, I open it up hoping that THIS will the one announcing he signed his new deal....
Oh believe me, there will be about 36 new threads created simultaneously if that happens because everyone wants to be "first."

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
In addition to his ESPN article linked above, Gonzalez also tweeted a link to a very quick "article" (it was barely even that) where he ran through the list of players unavailable for week 1. He started it off by saying "Assuming a deal with AD is done..." or something along those lines.

I chose to read something into that, rightly or wrongly

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh believe me, there will be about 36 new threads created simultaneously if that happens because everyone wants to be "first."
I should have created a new thread saying i hoped he signed soon. Lol

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
WHOA,WHOA,WHOA...........WHOA......WHOA,......forgot my train of thought....oh yeah, you take that pinko commi propaganda and.......you know, do something with it

:rolllaugh: Not trying to be a Debbie Downer...

What did Snead say this morning ? It's been pretty quiet for the last month, other than "we are working on it."

I got the vibe from his comments in this article..

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ilability-doubt-report-week-gm-les-snead-says

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Honestly I don't think he's close getting signed.

I hope you are wrong, but you know since we are all in the dark there is no way to know. The two sides could be miles apart, especially knowing his agent. And if the opt out clause is a real thing not a rumor this could take awhile.

There is another parameter for gaining an Accrued Season in the new CBA. Any player under contract with a team that fails to report within 30 days prior to the first regular season game will not receive a season towards free agency.

How does this effect free agency or tagging him do you know?

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope you are wrong, but you know since we are all in the dark there is no way to know. The two sides could be miles apart, especially knowing his agent. And if the opt out clause is a real thing not a rumor this could take awhile.

How does this effect free agency or tagging him do you know?

I was wondering this as well. If reports tomorrow and plays every game this year, he earns money from his contract. Then next year he would theoretically earn money for that 5th year option - then maybe after that he's a restricted FA?? Not sure how that works.

It's a good news/bad news situation I guess - the bad news is, if he's gone this far, he's probably all in on getting a new contract. The good news is, if he clearly wants to be a Ram since he's not worried about getting to FA..