The official Aaron Donald holdout thread - #Questfor100

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Here is what I would say to Aaron Donald and is over ambitious agent Todd France...."Aaron, we only won 4 games with you, we can win 4 games without you!"

I'm starting to take this approach.

If I'm the Rams, and I'm glad I'm not because they are less likely to act emotionally, but I'd put out a take it or leave it offer.

If he wants to sit out... oh well. Move on with the players that want to play.

Eventually he'll need a paycheck.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If I'm the Rams, and I'm glad I'm not because they are less likely to act emotionally, but I'd put out a take it or leave it offer.

That's exactly how I feel . It's not like he's carrying the team . If they break the bank on a big deal it will hamstring the salary cap to sign everyone else . Not having enough money to pay your best player is hard to believe for a team that has been so poor for so long . As a fan I hope it works out but I'm used to being dissapointed.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
That's exactly how I feel . It's not like he's carrying the team . If they break the bank on a big deal it will hamstring the salary cap to sign everyone else . Not having enough money to pay your best player is hard to believe for a team that has been so poor for so long . As a fan I hope it works out but I'm used to being dissapointed.
Well the thing about being a terrible team for a long time is, you're always drafting high. And the percentage of hitting on a great player higher in the draft is much more likely. Almost a catch 22. I like more of a all around blue chip team. Rather then having 5 red(great) chips and the rest yellow(average).

This has been the Patriot way forever. Also, don't be surprised to see them release Edelman next year. They don't like guys with knee injuries.

RedRam

Pro Bowler

I'm at the point now where I'm apathetic towards Donald and his "plight." I can't muster up any sympathy for somebody that makes millions playing a game. If millions isn't enough, good luck in another line of "work." I work my @$$ off to be able to buy tickets and support the team through their other revenue streams. I'll be there on the 10th in support of the Rams. The Rams that show up for work. If there happens to be somebody on the field wearing #99 then I'll be cheering for that guy too, regardless of the name on the back. #WeNotMe #GoRAMS

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
At some point if the Rams are truly at impasse, they will have to trade him.
Once he starts coughing up game checks, that will have to be the next step

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I was tested on that crap although the "icosi" isn't familiar. Crystallography class had all the types in wood models back then. Probably do it now with computers.

In geometry, the rhombicosidodecahedron, or small rhombicosidodecahedron, is an Archimedean solid, one of thirteen convex isogonal nonprismatic solids constructed of two or more types of regular polygon faces.

It has 20 regular triangular faces, 30 square faces, 12 regular pentagonal faces, 60 vertices and 120 edges.

The name rhombicosidodecahedron refers to the fact that the 30 square faces lie in the same planes as the 30 faces of the rhombic triacontahedron which is dual to the icosidodecahedron.[dubious – discuss]

It can also be called an expanded or cantellated dodecahedron or icosahedron, from truncation operations on either uniform polyhedron.

Wikipedia can be awesome.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they really have offered him a record breaking contract two years early, and he is holding out for a player option - then it is time to start listening to trade offers. Since teams willing to wait on him until late in the season if need be are likely to be ones that think they are Super Bowl contenders, it is implausible to expect star players in return. I'd like to see a good young player or two, backing up a star but who would start on most teams; a first or two; and a whole bunch of other picks spread out over years, so the Rams don't run into the issue of everybody becoming free agents at about the same time.

My first choice would be to keep him - but it is looking less likely. It's already the case that if he were to report today he likely would be only playing part time for a week or two. For a team that's just hoping to get to .500, that's a big price - a team that really wants him for the playoffs might not care all that much.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
By playing well during his contract a player creates incentive for a team to give him a new contract. To hold out with two years remaining show's he's willing to pout about his contract. He's not the first guy to pout about it and won't be the last. But he's under team control for at least the next 4 years.

Showing up to camp and doing his job while his agent negotiates a new deal shows the team he wants a new deal and he's still the same guy that's helped them the last three years but he feels his current deal isn't good enough and he wants to work out a new one.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. I'm simply pointing out the logic behind why players hold out. But circling around to my original post: If he reported to camp and continued to be the AD we all know-- business as usual-- being that he is under the Rams control for four more years, they have zero incentive to give him a big contract. Les can sit there and say "Yeah, we know AD deserves this and this..." but money talks.

You say AD is pouting, but that's you interpreting the situation. I think he's just a young kid getting bad advice from an agent who has gotten several of his other players huge contracts via holdouts. Also, something I find pretty funny is that a team can backload a contract and then cut a player whenever they see fit, yet people never take that as personal as a player holding out. Business is business when its dudes in suits, but when it's someone in a uniform, it's pouting. Ok.

bnw

Pro Bowler
In geometry, the rhombicosidodecahedron, or small rhombicosidodecahedron, is an Archimedean solid, one of thirteen convex isogonal nonprismatic solids constructed of two or more types of regular polygon faces.

It has 20 regular triangular faces, 30 square faces, 12 regular pentagonal faces, 60 vertices and 120 edges.

The name rhombicosidodecahedron refers to the fact that the 30 square faces lie in the same planes as the 30 faces of the rhombic triacontahedron which is dual to the icosidodecahedron.[dubious – discuss]

It can also be called an expanded or cantellated dodecahedron or icosahedron, from truncation operations on either uniform polyhedron.

I liked your post even though it gave me a headache.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
then it is time to start listening to trade offers
The Rams would have to give permission for his agent to talk contract to other teams, and they would have to agree to some contract framework before any kind of trade could be contemplated. AD is not holding against the Rams so much as the entire NFL. That's why I don't think the Rams could get a boatload of picks for him. I think the best they could likely do is a 1st rounder and a good (not elite) player, or maybe a 1st and 2nd. I don't think the Browns are hoarding draft picks so they can trade them for a non-QB (unless Kizer is this year's Dak, then maybe they would consider it at mid-season). Who knows, but I don't think the 2 sides are that far apart, so hopefully this gets resolved soon.

Ram65

Legend
Its all hearsay. I read the same thing and that is completely unverified.
I am not on Donald's side here, I am not on the owner's side either.
I just have a hard time believing that if the offer was that good, why it wasnt taken OR if the Rams truly offered him a deal to be the highest paid, why it wouldnt be slipped out to the media.

I stated the offer hasn't been verified by anything in the article.

"We'll continue keeping the details in-house," Snead said. "That's for all parties."

Snead would not say whether the Rams have offered to make Donald the game's highest-paid defensive player, but did say the front office has "definitely tried to come up with creative scenarios to get this done."

Looks like they won't let information out to the public. So that's that. I guess we are left with speculation.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This has been the Patriot way forever. Also, don't be surprised to see them release Edelman next year. They don't like guys with knee injuries.

I think they'll keep him but they'll add a WR for insurance. Lots of guys come back from surgery and play like it never happened.

But the Patriots will have a plan B.

At some point if the Rams are truly at impasse, they will have to trade him.
Once he starts coughing up game checks, that will have to be the next step

I think it's a possibility but it'll be a bad deal for the Rams. They'll lose the player and at this point his value is decreased by the hold out, his agents reputation, the possibility he will hold out again on his new team, and the fact that everyone knows they have to trade him.

Those things all put a lot of downward pressure on his value, and his agent should be aware if that fact.

Donald's BEST option is to take/get the Rams best offer and sign it. Otherwise if they decide to play hardball with him he's stuck for 4 years. He's not going to sit out even one season and if he does that kills his value almost totally. If he even sits out a regular season game I'd be shocked it's simply too much money to leave on the table. He can still negotiate while playing, it doesn't effect the process one bit.

He's in a no win situation.

Yes, of course. o_O

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
If they really have offered him a record breaking contract two years early, and he is holding out for a player option - then it is time to start listening to trade offers. Since teams willing to wait on him until late in the season if need be are likely to be ones that think they are Super Bowl contenders, it is implausible to expect star players in return. I'd like to see a good young player or two, backing up a star but who would start on most teams; a first or two; and a whole bunch of other picks spread out over years, so the Rams don't run into the issue of everybody becoming free agents at about the same time.

My first choice would be to keep him - but it is looking less likely. It's already the case that if he were to report today he likely would be only playing part time for a week or two. For a team that's just hoping to get to .500, that's a big price - a team that really wants him for the playoffs might not care all that much.
Boom^^^ Also, IMO, this team isn't going to the playoffs THIS year with or without him. Let his ass sit, or if he is indeed digging in on that opt out stipulation, look for trade partners. Best case scenario, he signs our offer and we go to the SB. The more realistic scenario; the team grows under McVay this year, AD inevitable reports and plays a good part of the season and we are in a more reasonable place to discuss his extension next off season. Worst case, he demands an opt out and we trade his ass.....

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I stated the offer hasn't been verified by anything in the article.

Looks like they won't let information out to the public. So that's that. I guess we are left with speculation.

I do find it interesting that Snead's answer "creative scenarios" was given in response to a question about a potential opt-out clause for Donald in the contract. It makes me wonder if Snead is trying to put something out there that can only be read between the lines.

Bottom line is this: If Donald wants a lot of guaranteed money, then he needs to give the Rams a lot of guaranteed years. There is nothing unreasonable about the Rams position in that, but there is everything unreasonable in that position if that truly is where Donald is right now.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

NERD!

nerds.jpg

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't necessarily disagree with you. I'm simply pointing out the logic behind why players hold out. But circling around to my original post: If he reported to camp and continued to be the AD we all know-- business as usual-- being that he is under the Rams control for four more years, they have zero incentive to give him a big contract. Les can sit there and say "Yeah, we know AD deserves this and this..." but money talks.

You say AD is pouting, but that's you interpreting the situation. I think he's just a young kid getting bad advice from an agent who has gotten several of his other players huge contracts via holdouts. Also, something I find pretty funny is that a team can backload a contract and then cut a player whenever they see fit, yet people never take that as personal as a player holding out. Business is business when its dudes in suits, but when it's someone in a uniform, it's pouting. Ok.
The incentive to lock him up now is absolutely there. It is also what leads to these type of situations. Lock him up now at say $20 million a year because as we've seen contracts are increasing. So while it may cost 20 now if they wait four years like you said they can it may go up to $25 million a year. Signing him now saves money. Long term while not signing him now saves money short term. He and his agent and the team know this. So he may want a three year extension so he can get that next contract sooner and get that next raise. Rams want a longer deal, or should, to push that next raise down the road. But even that has consequences for the club because if you push the deal down the road each subsequent deal costs more money.

Cochiti

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Couple of points the holdout.

First, Donald will report for at least 8 games in 2017 and 2018 to secure his free agency. He has to do that, period. Also he will be planning to play real well in those games.

Second his agent is pretty creative. I think that this year is actually when AD has the most leverage in this rookie contract. Primarily because it's so much lest costly year for him to give up 2017 game checks than the checks in 2018.

And finally, the rams have been a pretty generous team. I expect they have made a solid offer for a GOAT lineman albeit with 2 years left in his rookie deal. However, I think his agent is looking for a "game changing" contract in spite of having so little real leverage.