The official Aaron Donald holdout thread - #Questfor100

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Nah, I think you covered every side of the rhombicosidodecahedron.
I was tested on that crap although the "icosi" isn't familiar. Crystallography class had all the types in wood models back then. Probably do it now with computers.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Any new threads involving Donald's holdout will be merged, until it's over.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Baby come back
Any kind of fool would see
There was something in everything about you
Baby come back
You can blame it all on Snead
Been too long
And we just can't win without you

Ram65

Legend
Lol.
Vinny nails it, but doesn't know what is on the table. And others are disparaging Riddick on his opinion because he doesn't know either.

Dodgersrf said:
Vinnie B.was on Rogan yesterday. Vinnie said the Rams have a very good offer on the table. One that will make him the highest paid Defensive player in the league.

The only facts that we know, are that the Rams still own his rights for the next 4 years. 2 years remaining on his contract and 2 years of eligible Franchise tags.
If we do have a huge contract on the table, the Rams are doing the right thing by holding their ground. Technically, they don't have to offer him anything.

From listening to @jakebogen95 podcast Vinny B is privileged to some inside information. Hard to prove but, they seemed to believe it. It makes sense that the Rams have someone in the media that they trust to give out information they want leaked.

And while they won’t say so publicly, there is a strong sense they’ve made it clear they are open to making Donald the highest-paid defensive player in the league relative to annual average salary while guaranteeing him a life-changing amount of money.

You are correct the Rams didn't give the numbers.

No loopholes. No out clauses. No free pass in which Donald can come knocking again in three years seeking a new deal.

“That would be horrible if they gave into that,” a high-ranking team executive told me. “It would be a terrible precedent to set.”

This is the only quote that mentions a unnamed Rams executive. While Vinny B is circling around the offer he has no confirmation. I like to get the confirmed facts before making a conclusion however, I'm leaning toward believing the Rams made an offer something close to his numbers. It makes sense that they would.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
What incentive would the Rams have to pay a guy who isn't even showing up to practice? The Rams agreed that he needs a new deal and then he decided to stop showing up. What kind of respect does that show, and why would anyone work to benefit him when he isn't entitled to it (or it's not an immediate concern, ie nowhere in the near future is he going to be a free agent)

Donald's #1 job right now: practice
Demoff's #1 job right now: AD's contract

Donald decided his #1 job was less important than his payday, maybe Demoff did too. Call it a show of solidarity; they could be holding out together.

You can't decide not to do your job and expect other people to do their jobs to serve you. It just isn't logical.

You act as if holdouts are a new concept. They happen every season. By not showing up, a player creates incentive for a team to pay him with a new contract.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"In the end, football is just a game..."
~Cory Harkey

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Baby come back
Any kind of fool would see
There was something in everything about you
Baby come back
You can blame it all on Snead
Been too long
And we just can't win without you

Can't win without him? Didn't we have him last year? ...and, our record was? granted, I think our record would be worse than 4-12 without him. But it wouldn't have been better.
We can win games without him. Might even make the playoffs.
He is hurting his 'brand', he is hurting his team, and he is hurting the NFL.
And if he gets what he wants, I seriously doubt that he will be the same player. Happened to Haynesworth, happened to Suh. Money and fame will corrupt anyone, even the hard-working Aaron Donald. And after Albert & Ndomukong got paid, what were their teams' records? Did they single-handedly drag their teams into the playoffs? the Superbowl? Or did their bloated contracts become albatrosses around their teams' necks?
Easy money = soft living. Not that what he does is 'easy', and not that he doesn't deserve it, but he's already been given an offer and it just wasn't enough for him or his agent. Now he's holding the team hostage until he gets what he wants. That tells me he wants easy living.
Fans want to watch a sport, not a business. If I wanted to watch a business, I would get tickets to an Apple Shareholders meeting. Fans don't care about his business. They will not watch him. They might even boo him. If he's not on the field against the Colts, shows up in week 8, and leaves in F/A, he can flush his HOF jacket down the toilet -- oh wait, Suh already clogged it up.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Word from above......

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ilability-doubt-report-week-gm-les-snead-says

Rams GM: Aaron Donald unlikely for Week 1 if he doesn't report this week

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Les Snead, the Los Angeles Rams' sixth-year general manager, said it would "probably be a safe assumption" that Aaron Donald would not be available for the season opener if he does not report to the team by the end of this week.

The Rams still don't know if he will.

Snead spoke to reporters late Tuesday afternoon, 12 days before the Sept. 10 opener against the Indianapolis Colts, but would not divulge details about the prolonged, ongoing negotiations with Donald's representatives at CAA.

"We'll continue keeping the details in-house," Snead said. "That's for all parties."

Todd Gurley, who believes the preseason schedule should be trimmed to at most two games, will admit that Donald faces obstacles with that first practice.

"He's gonna be hurting," Gurley said, laughing. "It don't matter. I work out three times a day during the offseason. You come back, that first day of practice, it is what it is. That's just football for you. It takes some time. I'm pretty sure he's grinding, but it's definitely different."

Pittsburgh Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell recently tweeted that he would return Sept. 1, which is this Friday, the day after the preseason finale. The Rams have not received any similar indication from Donald, and Snead said he does not know if Donald would show up before agreeing to a contract.

The Rams won't truly know about Donald's Week 1 availability until he actually shows up at the facility.

"If you get him in this week, the goal would be for him to play a lot over the course of a 16-game season," Snead said. "So if you figure out that it's best to play a lot less Week 1, then that's the best thing to do."

Donald is owed less than $9 million in base salary from 2017 to 2018, which represents a sizable gap between him and the game's highest-paid defensive players. Broncos outside linebacker Von Miller signed a six-year, $114 million contract that guarantees him $70 million, and Dolphins defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh signed a six-year, $114.375 million deal that guarantees him nearly $60 million.

But those players received those contracts after five NFL seasons.

Snead would not say whether the Rams have offered to make Donald the game's highest-paid defensive player, but did say the front office has "definitely tried to come up with creative scenarios to get this done."

"It's a unique situation in that you have a player, and there is no, per se, finite end date in terms of the contract expiring," Snead added. "It's still a ways away, so, that's what we're trying to do."

Donald has been invited to the Pro Bowl after each of his first three seasons and has been named first-team All-Pro after each of the last two. His 28 sacks from 2014 to 2016 are four more than any other defensive tackle. Last year, his 31 quarterback hits led the NFL and his 17 tackles for loss were tied for the lead.

Snead believes Donald is "on pace to be a Hall of Famer," which few would argue.Hall of Fame running back Eric Dickerson, who signed a one-day contract to retire with the Rams on Tuesday, considers Donald "the best player in the NFL on defense." Dickerson held out twice throughout his career and said it's "never easy on a player."

"I do believe that we will get him back," Dickerson said. "I don't know the specifics on contracts; that's not my deal. But I know this much: If I'm Aaron Donald -- and I've been in Aaron Donald's shoes -- he wants to come back here very badly. Trust me. I know how a football player thinks.

"You want to get paid, because you do this for a living. This is his job. I know he's not trying to be jealous with his football team. But like anything else, he has to take care of him, and also the team has to move forward, too, because it was the same thing when I was holding out. The team has to move on."

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You act as if holdouts are a new concept. They happen every season. By not showing up, a player creates incentive for a team to pay him with a new contract.
By playing well during his contract a player creates incentive for a team to give him a new contract. To hold out with two years remaining show's he's willing to pout about his contract. He's not the first guy to pout about it and won't be the last. But he's under team control for at least the next 4 years.

Showing up to camp and doing his job while his agent negotiates a new deal shows the team he wants a new deal and he's still the same guy that's helped them the last three years but he feels his current deal isn't good enough and he wants to work out a new one.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Here is what I would say to Aaron Donald and is over ambitious agent Todd France...."Aaron, we only won 4 games with you, we can win 4 games without you!"

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Trade him to Cleveland... if Brown's have top 2 pick, likely, and Goof has a good year, possible, then you could deal that top 2 pick for another RG3 haul on top of the other picks you get for Donald.

So this time of the QB (Goff) is the real deal, you can now surround him with multiple #1s, 2s, & 3s on top of a young core at WR/RB that is already promising.

Imagine a loaded OL, with these WRs, and then rebuild the defense. Need more pass rushers and another CB.

Good drafting, I know can't count on it, would set the team up as long as Goff is the answer. And if he is not, you have a top pick for Darnaud or Rosen or whoever else rises. Or even Cousins.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dodgersrf said:
Vinnie B.was on Rogan yesterday. Vinnie said the Rams have a very good offer on the table. One that will make him the highest paid Defensive player in the league.

The only facts that we know, are that the Rams still own his rights for the next 4 years. 2 years remaining on his contract and 2 years of eligible Franchise tags.
If we do have a huge contract on the table, the Rams are doing the right thing by holding their ground. Technically, they don't have to offer him anything.

From listening to @jakebogen95 podcast Vinny B is privileged to some inside information. Hard to prove but, they seemed to believe it. It makes sense that the Rams have someone in the media that they trust to give out information they want leaked.
Its all hearsay. I read the same thing and that is completely unverified.
I am not on Donald's side here, I am not on the owner's side either.
I just have a hard time believing that if the offer was that good, why it wasnt taken OR if the Rams truly offered him a deal to be the highest paid, why it wouldnt be slipped out to the media.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man, we have one great player, possibly the face of the NFL defense and then his agents turn it into a crapfest. Sometimes it feels like we are cursed or can't catch a break as Rams fans.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Its all hearsay. I read the same thing and that is completely unverified.
I am not on Donald's side here, I am not on the owner's side either.
I just have a hard time believing that if the offer was that good, why it wasnt taken OR if the Rams truly offered him a deal to be the highest paid, why it wouldnt be slipped out to the media.

Yea if the Rams have truly offered that, Aaron Donald is a different person than who I thought he was and that's very disappointing.