The official Aaron Donald holdout thread - #Questfor100

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What I do know is that neither side is bad mouthing the other. It seems fairly amicable so far for a holdout which has to be a positive thing.

That is about to change here real soon.

If you look at holdouts, they typically start to get contentious when the regular season comes around and the team is short that player while the player doesn't get those game checks. IF we see AD hold out into the season it's gonna get nasty. It always does.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Snead-Provides-Update-on-Aaron-Donald/16d36319-610d-4666-bb65-9b149e478516

“Where [things] stand right now — hey, Aaron’s not here. Obviously, we still want Aaron. We want him to be here as soon as possible,” Snead said. “At the end of the day, Aaron Donald’s on pace to be a Hall of Famer. Now, we’re three years in and Hall of Famers aren’t made in three years. But if there’s a race to the gold jacket, he’s started strong. So anytime you’ve got that type of player, you definitely want them here short term as well as long term.”

“I do know in this situation, we have definitely tried to come up with creative scenarios to get this done,” Snead said, adding “it’s a unique situation in that you have a player and there is no, per se, finite end date in terms of contract expiring — it’s still a ways away.”
“I do think you would have to get him in and at that point, assess where he’s at,” Snead said. “If we had 60 defensive snaps, [he would] probably not be a 60-snap person. But I do think in that situation, too, and your assessment, if you get him in this week, the goal would be for him to play a lot over the 16-game season. So if you figure out it’s best to play a lot less Week 1, then that’s the best thing to do.”

“So it’s a tough deal,” Snead said. “But the nice thing is, Robert Quinn’s on pace, so that’s going to help. Mark Barron’s on pace. Kayvon Webster’s on pace. So there are some people who haven’t played as much in preseason who will be on pace that will also help us move forward.”

“And that’s what we have to do,” Snead continued. “You’ve got two things going on — you’ve got Aaron Donald and the business decision. But you’ve got, heck, a new coaching staff, a team that’s hungry to make progress, hungry to compete, hungry to win — not just show up and play good, but to actually come out on top on that scoreboard. So you’re going to figure out a way. And I know this group’s, right now, focusing on that.”

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Before people trash Riddick, I actually like him a lot. Always have.

And he's one of the few media members that speaks logically about Goff.

This is his opinion, and he might be right. Thing is, none of us know what the Rams have offered AD.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Doubt it. What incentive do the Rams have to give Donald a new deal if he shows up and continues to play, with two years left on his contract?
The Rams have said they know he needs a new deal and are willing to sign him. Holding out hasn't changed a thing except he's less ready for the season and it's costing him money.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Before people trash Riddick, I actually like him a lot. Always have.

Thing is, none of us know what the Rams have offered AD.

And neither does Riddick... and that is the reason that he's receiving shit from many of us. Desirably.

bnw

Pro Bowler
This is what we know-

If AD gets injured without the renegotiated contract he is seriously screwed.

There is nothing to think about here......everyone knows he is for real. Everyone knows he has the potential for Canton. Everyone knows he's the best player by far this team has had over the last decade. He isn't great......he isn't elite.......he's beyond both. We sign a QB to outrageous money then give him years to get up to speed. AD was ready DAY 1. NO LEARNING CURVE. Why doesn't that count for anything? If AD doesn't want to stay a Ram under these conditions then I don't blame him......but I will be unbelievably pissed off to see him in another team's jersey under any circumstance. No trade. Front office should put on the big boy pants and pay him so this team can have a chance this season.

Stump23

Rookie

One rumor has it that he wants to be able to opt out in 3 years without the burden of the franchise tag being placed on him. There is always a give to get in negotiations. If he wants to be the highest paid player, then, IMO, he needs to show good faith and offer a little back to the team. I think the numbers aren't the final issue here.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Everyone knows Aaron Donald is a great play and keeps his nose clean so to speak.

Outside those involved in the negotiation no one knows what the Rams current offer is and what AD agents counter offer is. He got us to click. He could at least thrown out some numbers
Vinnie B.was on Rogan yesterday. Vinnie said the Rams have a very good offer on the table. One that will make him the highest paid Defensive player in the league.

The only facts that we know, are that the Rams still own his rights for the next 4 years. 2 years remaining on his contract and 2 years of eligible Franchise tags.
If we do have a huge contract on the table, the Rams are doing the right thing by holding their ground. Technically, they don't have to offer him anything.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
No inside info - but again, I'm predicting the announcement of a new contract with AD tomorrow night.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
The Rams have said they know he needs a new deal and are willing to sign him. Holding out hasn't changed a thing except he's less ready for the season and it's costing him money.

Yeah, them being aware of the situation was never the question; whether or not the FO would take action was. I doubt they would've given him a contract extension this season out of the kindness of their collective hearts, and I doubt the reason as to why they have yet to come to an agreement with Donald is because he's holding out, aka punishing him.

If we're all assuming things, I'll assume Donald's agent contacted Snead and Demoff about getting more money this season, and there was some sort of disagreement as to the amount, when, or how Donald would get paid, so his agent threatened to hold out, the FO didn't budge, and here we are.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Nailed it.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20170830/bonsignore-aaron-donald-its-time-to-get-back-to-work

Bonsignore: Aaron Donald, it’s time to get back to work

Aaron Donald deserves to be the highest-paid defensive player in the NFL.

So let’s just get that out of the way at the very top, lest anyone thinks sides are being taken in a contract holdout that has cost Donald all of training camp and preseason. And if he doesn’t report in the next day or so, it likely will mean sitting out at least the Rams’ season opener Sept. 10 against the Indianapolis Colts.

Repeat: Aaron Donald deserves to be the highest-paid defensive player in the NFL.

Have we cleared that up?

Good.

Let’s make something else clear: It’s time for Donald to end his contract holdout and get back to Los Angeles.

Preferably by Friday. But absolutely in time for Donald to be available when the Rams open the season at the Coliseum.

He’s taken his stand far enough by holding out. Made his point loud and clear.

Up until now, we’ve all just sort of stood off to the side and nodded in agreement. Of course Donald needs to be compensated as one of the best players in the NFL. And if it means him sitting out some voluntary offseason practices and skipping the grind of training camp and not suiting up for some meaningless preseason games nobody pays much attention to, so be it.

Nothing was being lost, tangibly, other than time and preparation.

If it meant the Rams standing up and taking notice and ultimately doing right by Donald as a result, that’s something we can all get behind.

Thing is, the Rams got that point a long time ago.

And while they won’t say so publicly, there is a strong sense they’ve made it clear they are open to making Donald the highest-paid defensive player in the league relative to annual average salary while guaranteeing him a life-changing amount of money.

If you’re doing the math at home, that means Donald making $70 million in guaranteed money and, should he play out the length of the deal, pocket $118 million or so.

For point of reference, think somewhere above Ndamukong Suh’s six-year, $114.4 million deal that guarantees him $60 million, and Von Miller’s six-year, $114 million contract that guarantees him $70 million.

That’s an incredibly fair offer given that Donald has two years remaining on his original rookie deal and that, frankly, with the Rams controlling him for at least the next four years they aren’t obligated to do anything.

But they understand Donald has massively outplayed his rookie contract, and the $8.7 million he has coming to him over the next two seasons is almost an insult relative to his talent, his standing among his peers and the impact me makes for the team.

Which is why they are willing to tear that contract up and renegotiate a new one that reflects the Hall of Fame caliber player they were so fortunate to draft with the 13th pick in 2014.

What they won’t do - and frankly, shouldn’t - is appease all of Donald’s demands and desires.

Not with two years left on his deal and them having him under control through at least the 2020 season.

Sorry, it doesn’t work that way.

If Donald wants all those boxes checked off he needs to return to work, play out his original deal, then go into free agency and pit all 32 teams against one another for his services.

If, at that point, someone is willing to give him the sun and the moon and Venus and Saturn and Jupiter, more power to him.

An open, free market can be a beautiful thing.

But he isn’t on the open market and, from a contractual standpoint, he most assuredly isn’t free.

The Rams have no reason to budge from their present offer as a result.

And they won’t.

They hold all the leverage.

Donald essentially is just spinning his wheels at this point.

He obviously believes he’s worth X Y and Z over Miller and Suh.

The Rams believe he is worth A B and C over them.

Donald and his people likely want contractual flexibility so that, if the league salary cap spikes in the next few years he can renegotiate a new deal that takes into account the higher cap sooner rather than later.

With the Rams re-doing Donald’s contract two years before they technically have to, you can bet their desire is to lock him up for the next six years.

Period.

No loopholes. No out clauses. No free pass in which Donald can come knocking again in three years seeking a new deal.

“That would be horrible if they gave into that,” a high-ranking team executive told me. “It would be a terrible precedent to set.”

Not that we all don’t understand Donald’s thinking, of course.

If any one of us were given a bat and a batter’s box to hit from we’d swing as hard as we could for the very same things.

But Donald hasn’t played long enough to reach that batter’s box. He might not even be in the on-deck circle yet, for that matter.

Given all the dynamics and circumstance, the stand he took was never really strong enough to get him quite as far as he wanted.

There was always a finish line, and the Rams controlled it.

They’ve been holding it out in front of him for awhile.

And it will make him the highest-paid defensive player in the NFL.

Donald apparently wants more. But he won’t get what he’s demanding by holding out. The Rams have no reason to budge.

Donald needs to either take the offer on the table or double down on himself by playing out the last two years of his contract to earn free agency.

Whichever option he chooses, he needs to get back to Los Angeles ASAP.

Because if it goes on much longer, he won’t just be hurting himself. There are 52 other players on the roster counting on him and a critically important season looming ahead.

It’s time for Donald to get back to work.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, them being aware of the situation was never the question; whether or not the FO would take action was. I doubt they would've given him a contract extension this season out of the kindness of their collective hearts, and I doubt the reason as to why they have yet to come to an agreement with Donald is because he's holding out, aka punishing him.

If we're all assuming things, I'll assume Donald's agent contacted Snead and Demoff about getting more money this season, and there was some sort of disagreement as to the amount, when, or how Donald would get paid, so his agent threatened to hold out, the FO didn't budge, and here we are.
Isn't the onus on him to initiate the discussion? What's the point of criticizing or being negative towards them for not giving him a new deal "out of the kindness of their hearts". It's a business they don't need to give him a new deal. They have said they know he deserves an extension and are negotiating with him.

You're making a lot of assumptions there in your second paragraph and it's sad the only people you're sceptical of is the front office. We don't know any of the details of the negotiations so everybody is equally to blame at this point in the negotiations.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think AD should take a page from the Rams book by demanding that his salary always be within the top 0.1% of NFL salaries.
For a 20 year deal? They might make that with a minimal amount of back end guaranteed. Especially if his performance falls out of the top 0.1% providing them an out.

bnw

Pro Bowler
I think AD should take a page from the Rams book by demanding that his salary always be within the top 0.1% of NFL salaries.

bnw

Pro Bowler
For a 20 year deal? They might make that with a minimal amount of back end guaranteed. Especially if his performance falls out of the top 0.1% providing them an out.
An out? What out? You mean like exchanging an indoor stadium for a stadium with no walls?

Rainram

Starter
Unreal.

We're talking guarantees of $70 Million. $70 Million. With potential for upwards of a $100 Million. $100 Million. That's not including sponsor deals.

And you're stuck on semantics? Stuck on wanting some special clause or incentive? To play a game.

People work careers where their lives on the line for pennies compared to that.

1Rampage1

UDFA
Name
Rampage

Brady takes a pay cut, because he wants to win superbowls. Donald holds out because he wants to get paid more at the expense of the team and his fellow players. Oh and by the way, he's under contract. His point is well taken, now get back to work, so he can do what the Rams are paying him to do...his job. That's why the Patriots win superbowls and the Rams continue to be the Rams...