LEGEND The "Last Thing I Bought" Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Me too - and the guy said the trees would be better with hooks screwed into them.
My research indicates that using wide straps, like the ENO harness, protects the trees from harm. I’ll certainly keep an eye on mine to make sure the bark isn’t eroded, and probably adjust them from time to time. It’s mounted between old oak and pine trees, so hopefully it will work out fine.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
Okay, I didn't buy it. But I had some. Went into my friend's Wine shop to say hello. Haven't seen him in a month or so. Anyway, one of the guys who now work for him brought this in. 247-year-old Cognac and Brandy that is over 100 years old. I had the chance to taste both. The Cognac was good, but the Brandy was smooth as silk. He also brought in a pre-Castro Bacardi rum. The bottle in the back right with the orange label is another bottle of Pre-Castro rum. That was unopened and stayed that way. The Rum tasted like, Bacardi rum of today. So I can honestly say, they haven't lost their touch.

Brandy.jpg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Okay, I didn't buy it. But I had some. Went into my friend's Wine shop to say hello. Haven't seen him in a month or so. Anyway, one of the guys who now work for him brought this in. 247-year-old Cognac and Brandy that is over 100 years old. I had the chance to taste both. The Cognac was good, but the Brandy was smooth as silk. He also brought in a pre-Castro Bacardi rum. The bottle in the back right with the orange label is another bottle of Pre-Castro rum. That was unopened and stayed that way. The Rum tasted like, Bacardi rum of today. So I can honestly say, they haven't lost their touch.

View attachment 45651
That is REALLY cool! A wine buyer friend of the family brought a bunch of really nice wines to my parent's 50th anniversary several years ago. He brought a case of Chateau Montrose (sp?) - the year Parker gave it a perfect 100. He brought an $1800 bottle of wine for the toast. Funny thing was that the $150 blend was the best wine of the bunch in my opinion - though the Montrose was amazing. He let me take 3 bottles of the blend home along with a $600 sautern. The sautern was from IIRR 1963. I waited 4 years and finally opened it with a couple that as I found out were wine gulpers. What a waste. It was REALLY good and I'm not really a desert wine kind of guy.

Bottom line... I love this kind of stuff. I've never tried many aged liquors but my wife and I have an occasional 20 or 30 year old tawny port at a spot near us. I would love to try something like your find.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
That is REALLY cool! A wine buyer friend of the family brought a bunch of really nice wines to my parent's 50th anniversary several years ago. He brought a case of Chateau Montrose (sp?) - the year Parker gave it a perfect 100. He brought an $1800 bottle of wine for the toast. Funny thing was that the $150 blend was the best wine of the bunch in my opinion - though the Montrose was amazing. He let me take 3 bottles of the blend home along with a $600 sautern. The sautern was from IIRR 1963. I waited 4 years and finally opened it with a couple that as I found out were wine gulpers. What a waste. It was REALLY good and I'm not really a desert wine kind of guy.

Bottom line... I love this kind of stuff. I've never tried many aged liquors but my wife and I have an occasional 20 or 30 year old tawny port at a spot near us. I would love to try something like your find.
For some reason whenever I stop in at my friend's store a wine seller is always there or shows up. Happens about 95% of the time. One time we tasted some wines. 4 wines from $69 a bottle to $279 a bottle. The $79 bottle was the best according to me. As my friend says. Drink what you like. This is why he has a range of $9 wine to $900 wine. And if it's on his shelf, he has tasted it. I've seen people come in getting 12 bottles and spend $2,000 on wine. And that's only two weeks' worth.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
PokeBlue.jpg

This is a refurbished Pokemon Blue! Also bought Anthem for the Xbox (can't resist those BioWare games, haha). Here's hoping to get Pokemon Red soon!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
For some reason whenever I stop in at my friend's store a wine seller is always there or shows up. Happens about 95% of the time. One time we tasted some wines. 4 wines from $69 a bottle to $279 a bottle. The $79 bottle was the best according to me. As my friend says. Drink what you like. This is why he has a range of $9 wine to $900 wine. And if it's on his shelf, he has tasted it. I've seen people come in getting 12 bottles and spend $2,000 on wine. And that's only two weeks' worth.
Several years ago I used to write a wine column called The Non Snob Guide to Wine. The premise was that anyone can spend $50+ on a bottle of wine and it better be good. The hunt is for that $7-10 bottle that is really good. If you find it, buy a case. If the wine is shit, you're out 7-10 and you can pour it down the drain or cook with it with no remorse.

One of the tag lines was that the best wine is the wine you like the best.

I'm actually sitting here right now drinking a nice little Sonoma Pinot. We were out shooting earlier and a couple former marines blew up their quad. We gave them a ride out and to their house so he gave us this bottle. It was a nice gesture. Unnecessary - but nice.