The Goff Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m constantly blown away how fans of team that sucked for 13 years could be so unhappy while we’re 7-4 and likely to make the playoffs a 4th straight year and want to run the first decent qb we’ve had since bulger? Out of town because he’s not Patrick Mahomes

Agree on everything, but we didn't make the playoffs last year. We missed it by a game.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I’m constantly blown away how fans of a team that sucked for 13 years could be so unhappy while we’re 7-4 and likely to make the playoffs a 4th straight year and want to run the first decent qb we’ve had since bulger? Out of town because he’s not Patrick Mahomes
7-4 is a winning record? I knew it.

TexasRam

Legend
I’m constantly blown away how fans of team that sucked for 13 years could be so unhappy while we’re 7-4 and likely to make the playoffs a 4th straight year and want to run the first decent qb we’ve had since bulger? Out of town because he’s not Patrick Mahomes

Not to take away from Mahomes but people need to realize that lifetime bust Alex Smith lead the NFL in QB rating under Reid’s system before Mahomes became the starter. Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelsey, and Andy Reid had Alex “bust” Smith leading the NFL.

That should be an indicator to any intelligent fan that system and surrounding talent have a whole lot to do with stats and wins.

Super Bowl:
With 7:13 left in the fourth quarter on 3rd and 15 Mahomes was 19/32 for 181 yards 0 TD and 2 interceptions. Look familiar?

That same Niners defense that Goff just faced.

But Reid called the game changing play to consensus pro bowler Tyreek Hill who blew the lid off the defense and let’s be honest, Mahomes lobbed it up.

Great defenses shut down great QB’s and always have. But great play callers with great WR’s can sometimes find a
Hole in the defense.

TexasRam

Legend
I have a better refresher with a bigger sample size.
49ers last 7 games
3 wins and 4 losses
2 wins against our Rams.
outscored 144-74 in the 4 losses
That’s 35 plus points per game against their so called great defense. Not buying it
We managed 29 total points in the 2 losses. McVay and Goff should produce that in their sleep.
Richard Sherman has been out 9 games. You may want to factor that in.

Imagine us facing Metcalf with Troy Hill covering him and Ramsey on the bench.

Sherman is by measure of stats or wins is probably the one of the most impactful players in NFL history. As hard as it is to admit.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
My take...

I would not describe Goff as “mediocre”, as some here have said. To use the word “mediocre”, I’d think of Case Keenum. Case was a solid competitor but with a limited range. Not a huge amount of variation between his best games and his worst.

For Goff, IMHO “inconsistent” is a more accurate word than "mediocre." With Goff in 2020, I still see plenty of signs of why he was called “the natural” as the first pick in the draft. In SOME games he’d display great touch on the ball, and also marked improvement in his ability to throw on the run. How’d he look during that blowout 37-19 victory over the Eagles? Or the 30-10 demolishing of Washington? Or while crushing a solid Bears team 24-10? Or beating up Seattle? Or during that furious comeback against the Bills? Or defeating a solid Tampa defense without having a run game?

OTOH, how'd he look in those two awful defeats vs. SF? Or against Miami? Or when he makes horrible throws and horrible decisions.?

If he were just mediocre, it would be easier to dismiss him. But he's not, he's inconsistent.

In summary:
Good Goff Good.
Bad Goff Bad.

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
goff2.gif

TexasRam

Legend
the comic irony of this post is profound.

You calling one dudes narrative false when yours is every bit as subjective if not more.

So Goff had a good year last year because he was 2nd in passing yards? He is comparable to farve and warner? really?

bro.. lol

I think goff can turn it around but he has regressed lately.

No you are twisting the argument and everyone can see it.

My point is surrounding talent (Oline, WR and RB) effects overall stats and wins.

Your Goff criticizing arguments want to make all wins and stats completely on Goff which is demonstrably false.

I only bring the stats in to show the lunacy of your arguements. Goffs TD and interception ration in his young Career is better than Warner and Favre. Notice I didn’t call Goff better as you twisted it. I only showed the futility of your arguements.

Football is a team game folks. Please consider this before posting individual stats or the arguement looks rather weak.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My take...

I would not describe Goff as “mediocre”, as some here have said. To use the word “mediocre”, I’d think of Case Keenum.

I used that word but I should be clear, I only meant in terms of his season, his production right now.
There's do denying Goffs talents, many of which are so smooth or subtle he never gets much attention for them.

He's having some issues this year., his mechanics have been different.
His release point got weird earlier this year, so many batted passes, then he seemed to correct that but all of the turnovers kept happening.
He's sort of had some unfortunate luck too.

When was the last time you saw some amazing circus catch by any Rams WR? So either Goff puts it on them or he misses by a lot? Makes me question how often the WR or TE isn't where he expects..

TexasRam

Legend
My take...

I would not describe Goff as “mediocre”, as some here have said. To use the word “mediocre”, I’d think of Case Keenum. Case was a solid competitor but with a limited range. Not a huge amount of variation between his best games and his worst.

For Goff, IMHO “inconsistent” is a more accurate word than "mediocre." With Goff in 2020, I still see plenty of signs of why he was called “the natural” as the first pick in the draft. In SOME games he’d display great touch on the ball, and also marked improvement in his ability to throw on the run. How’d he look during that blowout 37-19 victory over the Eagles? Or the 30-10 demolishing of Washington? Or while crushing a solid Bears team 24-10? Or beating up Seattle? Or during that furious comeback against the Bills? Or defeating a solid Tampa defense without having a run game?

OTOH, how'd he look in those two awful defeats vs. SF? Or against Miami? Or when he makes horrible throws and horrible decisions.?

If he were just mediocre, it would be easier to dismiss him. But he's not, he's inconsistent.

In summary:
Good Goff Good.
Bad Goff Bad.

The same could be said of Russell Wilson, Tom Brady and Lamar Jackson. All so called NFL MVP’s.

All three are among the worst QB’s in the NFL over the last few weeks.

They should probably bench them right?

TexasRam

Legend
The same could be said of Russell Wilson, Tom Brady and Lamar Jackson. All so called NFL MVP’s.

All three are among the worst QB’s in the NFL over the last few weeks.

They should probably bench them right?

By the way, off the subject but makes my point. Has anyone wondered why Lamar Jackson has been so horrible this year after an MVP season last year?

He’s thrown for under 200 yards in the vast majority of his games and over 250 yards just once. With the top defense in the league they are falling out of the playoff picture after a loss to the Steelers Wednesday.

Surrounding talent is everything.

Here are the facts. Lamar Jackson didn’t stop preparing for games or forget how to play.

The fact is they lost consensus pro bowl guard Marshall Yanda to retirement in the offseason. They then lost first team pro bowl LT Stanley for the season due to injury. Their dam near unstoppable run game suddenly became very stoppable due to personnel. Teams no longer need to commit the entire defense to stopping the run which makes the passing game nearly non existent due to Lamars deficiencies. To his defense they also have mediocre WR’s.

It’s a team game folks. QB’s receive the glory and the gloom but the surrounding talent is the biggest factor related to a QB’s stats.

TexasRam

Legend
Goff 37 points vs eagles while burning clock in 4th quarter.

Wilson 23 points vs Eagles.

See what I did there?

Some of your heads probably exploded as your Goff sucks narrative didn’t quite match reality again :)

MachS

Hall of Fame
Your knowledge of Football is lacking bro. You should know by now if you are watching the games that Goff gets a play with 15 seconds left and barely gets the dam thing off. Why do you think we have these time out problems and last second snaps.

You are living in an imaginary world if you think Goff has time to audible every play like Manning.

Mcvay took the play call blame on himself in the post conference in case you didn’t watch it.

But I am sure the unblocked rushers are Goffs fault.

Please.

You blamed Goff's turnovers against Miami on play-calling. That is literally the single dumbest thing I've read on this site in months. There were 4 turnovers by Goff. And another 2-3 dropped easy INTs. But yea blame the play-calling, not the wide open hot routes, the lack of blitz recognition, the lack of audibles. Blame McVay if it makes you sleep better at night my dude.

But yea my football knowledge is lacking. Every time you post you lose credibility with these ridiculous takes. Quit making excuses for him and have some integrity as a football fan.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That’s pretty disingenuous. Saying Goff didn’t prepare is a false narrative. Please provide the video where Mcvay said this. I watch every video they post and do not remember Mcvay ever saying this.

Sometimes defenses are great and cover everything up. That is not on the QB. The fumble and bad passes are, but that is not “preparation”.

I distinctly remember Mcvay saying something about lack of preparation after the phins game. He didn't signal goff out but we have to assume that's who he was talking about.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thank fuck for that.

I don't know how much more goff bashing i can take.

I pray that the Rams crush those green fucks so the goff haters can shut the fuck up for at least a week.

Hey, the ‘niners website is celebrating Goff as the best quarterback they never had.

Status
Not open for further replies.