The Goff Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Goff is 23rd in passer rating in 2020. And 24th in QBR in 2020.

And he's 2nd in the NFL in turnovers.

That's winning football? That's good football?
Ya know, fuck the QBR..its biased for running QB's

As long as the Rams run for TD's Goff will never have the highest Passer Rating.

That he's had 7 games over 95 rating is amazing considering their rushing TD numbers.

7-4 is winning football.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Good post.
No one is saying Goff is elite.
Must be ghosts saying that.

It's been said many times on this board.
But no. I don't have the time to go find the specific posts that label Goff as elite.

I WANT him to be elite. I want him to succeed. I just realistically see him as a bit of a weak link in our offense. And a LOT of it is his no emotion attitude, which correlates to him NOT sparking the rest of the team. No leadership. Just quietly goes back to the bench after terrible interceptions and fumbles, and pretends to look at the Ipad.

I really wish he would (or could) snap out of it, but he's kinda shown what he is already. Average. Needs top 3 defense to get into the playoffs.

MachS

Hall of Fame
As long as the Rams run for TD's Goff will never have the highest Passer Rating.

You brought up passer rating, highlighting that Goff has 7 games over 95 and that's "winning football." I'm just showing you an overview of his entire year in 2020. His 23rd ranked passer rating isn't winning football. And Goff missed a wide open Henderson for a TD yesterday late in the 4th qtr...would that have helped his passer rating? Driving down the field with 2:30 left and throwing a TD to win the game...would that have helped his passer rating? Instead he missed two throws on a potential game winning drive and gave the ball back to SF who drove down and won the game.

Ya know, fuck the QBR..its biased for running QB's

Here are the top 3 rated QBs in QBR. Mahomes, Rogers, Brees.. None of them are running QBs.

7-4 is winning football.

Using 7-4 as a "Goff" stat is funny, wins are a team stat and Goff has a top 10 rushing attack and the #2 rated defense in the NFL. QB stats are QB stats. Both the QB stats and film show Goff isn't playing well this year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I do think McVay took the training wheels off of Goff this year. Goff is making a ton of decisions at the LOS. He's running the offense. And he also doesn't have elite weapons to throw to far from it, as well as a non-elite OL. So we're seeing all that IMO.

Right now if you have a defense that can shut our run game down you have your best shot to get the Goff who makes the mistakes. But the Tampa game gave me hope, as well as some other performances he's had in the past like the NFC Championship game where he came on at the end when he needed to.

Not pulling punches or making excuses with the guy. He needs to be better. But I think a problem on boards in general and not just this one is that it's hard to discuss QBs in particular without roaming into extremes. The answer is in the middle IMO. He's got the talent. He's got the coaching. Can he lead this team to represent the NFC in a very winnable field this year? I hope so. I am definitely rooting for him even though I know he's got plenty of warts and areas he has to improve in.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I think MOST of the folks here that are saying Goff is elite and doing just fine .... are saying so because they know, like all of us know, that there is no other QB available (on or off the roster). So they "stick with Goff" emotionally because they know 3 years from now they'll still be able to say "See. He's still our QB. Told you so!"

They can ONLY say that because we cannot cut him or trade him until 2023.

I guarantee you if we had another average or above average starting QB on our roster, quite a few more Goff apologists would be saying some different things. I mean, just think about if Goff was currently the Jets QB. How would he look? He's being carried a little bit by McVay that is for sure.

That being said, I myself REALLY want Goff to succeed. I want super bowl wins for the RAMS! Right now though, it doesn't appear he's headed in that direction. However, Goff is our QB for the next 3 years whether he plays great, average, or poorly.

Yeah, as soon as the word "apologist" is used, I stop paying attention.

What is this, 2008 Ramstalk?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Stepped back and took a deep breath. I still want Sam Howell in 2022, but I'm fine with Goff as the quarterback until then. I'm pissed at his decision making; he's been in the league long enough for those mistakes to eat at you. Rookie mistakes.

But I can't deny that he throws a beautiful ball in the intermediate level, especially when he's not pressured. He's our quarterback, for better or worse, unless McVay decides he's seen enough. And if I had a choice between Goff and McVay, I'd choose the coach. Every. Single. Time.

jjab360

Legend
Sounds like Mcvay is about to draw a line in the sand. Goff needs to get his shit together, and quick.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Grading Goff's career trajectory after a bad game is no less a fool's errand than doing so after a great game.

Because Goff has been so inconsistent, both are just silly.

The one thing we know is that McVay needs consistency and either Goff will provide that or he won't and we'll move on.

I hope he does both because it's convenient and means no transition and b/c I like Goff and would like to see him succeed here.

I had thought he could be a top 5 QB and he was in 2018, but these last two years are showing that he's not and the question now is can he be a consistent QB. If so, he's a top 15 QB. If not... well, we'll see a change in a few years.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gurley was the key weapon in 17/18, Goff for all his greatness at the time was somewhat a supporting player. When the wheels came of the Gurley bus, things clearly slipped, but IMO, teams still primarily focused on TG.
So heading in to this season, it was clearly Goff's team.
And frankly, we can all agree, his game didnt step up....
YET
His game hasnt stepped up YET
I am still confident it will.
I think the team has lacked the game breaker we've had in the past which would take some pressure off, but still may have one in Akers
I think Higbee being banged up all year, and Everett's inconsistency have hurt, but there still time for Higs to get it together
I think when teams blanket Kupp, they struggle to have a security route run
I think the o-line has exceeded expectations, but still is average at best in pass pro
That said, I still believe it will all come together
And why not? What fun is it to just piss in your own punch?

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Stepped back and took a deep breath. I still want Sam Howell in 2022, but I'm fine with Goff as the quarterback until then. I'm pissed at his decision making; he's been in the league long enough for those mistakes to eat at you. Rookie mistakes.
yeah i wish i could get over a loss like some and not have it bother me. for me it takes 2 or 3 days to get over a loss but a loss to the whinners might take a full week. when it takes time to get over a loss no one should question your fanhood it can be a painful experience. i think as this game get farther behind us you will see people getting less negative. until then it helps to have a rant( almost therapeutic ) so i can move on faster. anyway i know some get tired of the negativity but some need it before moving on.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Utter exaggeration...he was hit as he threw.

Should have thrown it away or taken a sack.
Watch it again. He already committed to throw to Kupp. The guy was in position to make the play whether or not Goff was bumped. It’s not the first time he has thrown directly into the hands of a lineman. I don’t see how or why he does it , but it needs to stop. McVay has put it out there instead of deflecting it away from Goff. I’m all behind Goff when he plays well, but he has earned every bit of criticism of late. He simply can’t keep spotting the opponent 7 or more points unless he’s putting up 30plus and that ain’t happening

Ellard80

Legend
They signed him a year early too. If McVay wasnt 100% on Goff, they'd have let him play out that contract

If he was sold on him or not who knows.. but we didn't have any draft picks and there are no real better options in free agency,

So really no choice.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
I do think McVay took the training wheels off of Goff this year. Goff is making a ton of decisions at the LOS. He's running the offense. And he also doesn't have elite weapons to throw to far from it, as well as a non-elite OL. So we're seeing all that IMO.

Right now if you have a defense that can shut our run game down you have your best shot to get the Goff who makes the mistakes. But the Tampa game gave me hope, as well as some other performances he's had in the past like the NFC Championship game where he came on at the end when he needed to.

Not pulling punches or making excuses with the guy. He needs to be better. But I think a problem on boards in general and not just this one is that it's hard to discuss QBs in particular without roaming into extremes. The answer is in the middle IMO. He's got the talent. He's got the coaching. Can he lead this team to represent the NFC in a very winnable field this year? I hope so. I am definitely rooting for him even though I know he's got plenty of warts and areas he has to improve in.

Starting to believe he might be behind reading defenses.

I thought someone mentioned that McVay used to call plays at the line of scrimmage for Goff or something like that.

jjab360

Legend
McVay is the type to keep things internal and close to the vest. So if he's publicly complaining that means he's starting to distance himself from Goff a bit imo.

Snead and Mcvay have proven in the past even big names will be shipped out if they're underperforming.

I'm not the type to point out other teams' shiny new toys but there have been a lot of QBs to come out in the past few years that could be objectively viewed as major upgrades based on Goff's performance the past few years. McVay might think he can work with Goff, but Snead seems like the type of personality to be fine with shipping out good for the best i.e. Marcus Peters for Jalen Ramsey.

I'm still a Goff supporter, but he has to step his game up.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think anybody here disagrees that Goff stunk up the joint against SF and Miami. Those defenses had his number. With all three of those games in recent memory, I think people might be falling prone to recency bias. Here are Goff's numbers outside of those three games:
7-1
198/273
72.5%
2270 passing yards
8.3 YPA
13 passing TDs
5 Ints
105.4 Passer Rating

Here are his numbers against those two teams:
0-3
73/130
56.2%
751 passing yards
5.8 YPA
3 passing TDs
5 Ints
64.6 Passer Rating

I recognize that you can't just remove games from his performance, but my point is that until we get to the end of the season, we won't know if SF and Miami just had his number or if he actually is regressing. I get that we can't afford him turning into a turnover-prone mess when he has bad games, but it is what it is. We'll have to hope he outgrows that with experience. That all said, if he finishes strong, I say all of the handwringing right now ends up being much ado about nothing. The one team remaining that scares me is New England. McVay better be ready for Belichick.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he was sold on him or not who knows.. but we didn't have any draft picks and there are no real better options in free agency,

So really no choice.
Well, yes he had a choice. He could have let Goff play out his contract if he wasnt sold on him, franchised him after that. Would have even saved $$. Could have played it like the Cowboys did with Dak. But they wanted him signed, and didnt want to wait. That's commitment that really cant be spun otherwise

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay is the type to keep things internal and close to the vest. So if he's publicly complaining that means he's starting to distance himself from Goff a bit imo.

Snead and Mcvay have proven in the past even big names will be shipped out if they're underperforming.

I'm not the type to point out other teams' shiny new toys but there have been a lot of QBs to come out in the past few years that could be objectively viewed as major upgrades based on Goff's performance the past few years. McVay might think he can work with Goff, but Snead seems like the type of personality to be fine with shipping out good for the best i.e. Marcus Peters for Jalen Ramsey.

I'm still a Goff supporter, but he has to step his game up.
Not really following. Sure they shipped out Gurley and Cooks, but that also had the injury attachment and happened in the off season. We still have 5 games to go and playoffs ahead. I think McVay is pissed, and rightly should be that they cant get this right. But I dont see any "or else" scenario *right now*

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The one team remaining that scares me is New England. McVay better be ready for Belichick.
No doubt. And the Rams dont even get the benefit of the Pats having to fly cross country on a short week being they'll just be staying in LA after playing the Chargers.

NoCoNite

ILoveGoffBalls
Name
ILoveGoffBalls
We have a DTackle winning games for us and a QB losing games For us. Only in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.