The Goff thread to end all Goff threads

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
View attachment 44583

I tried this with the other Goff thread. I hope it works this time

F6D213B5-4135-4A94-ACF1-0CCC0231CCFB.jpeg

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Goff = Warner second time in the same thread, but this time I think it was intended.

Warner moved on and continued be great. Somehow I don’t think that’s going to happen with Jarred. Just a hunch.

It took Warner years to find another team and offense in which he could be successful after leaving the Rams. It's taken Stafford 12 years to hopefully find one now. Goff has shown what he can do. If Detroit can build a good team with the draft picks they have now, Goff can play at a high level as he did for the Rams. We'll see what happens.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He who shall remain nameless (I am sticking to that) was playing so well too before the Miami game.

And then he got shell shocked by McVay's play calling from that game and went down the tube from there trying to make things happen because of all the criticism he got from that game. My feeling is that the Seattle interception and the SF Fumble don't happen if not for that game. Miami was the killer game. And I blame a lot of it on McVay based on my review of the game although HWSRN deserves as much blame as well for his decisions he made.

Too bad Everett dropped that pass because if the Rams had come back to win that game - the entire last season could have played out so much differently since HWSRN would have gotten both criticism for the first half but such compliments for overcoming a terrible first half with his play in the fourth quarter.

I can't spare JG from the blame. He didn't play well against SF a couple weeks prior and had two strong games after the Miami game against SEA and TB. I think the dude got too much in his own head and started doubting himself. Hopefully, he is able to use that chip on his shoulder to bring back his confidence and ballsiness.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It took Warner years to find another team and offense in which he could be successful after leaving the Rams. It's taken Stafford 12 years to hopefully find one now. Goff has shown what he can do. If Detroit can build a good team with the draft picks they have now, Goff can play at a high level as he did for the Rams. We'll see what happens.

We'll have to wait and see what Detroit does in the Draft, but I think Goff will surprise some people. That coaching staff looks quite good on paper. Detroit needs to draft a legit WR in the first two rounds. If they do that, Goff should have a solid receiving group, an above average OL, and based on Lynn's history, a very good running game.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Goff = Warner second time in the same thread, but this time I think it was intended.

Warner moved on and continued be great. Somehow I don’t think that’s going to happen with Jarred. Just a hunch.

I didn't bring up the topic of Warner vs. Goff. Other posters did. Goff= Warner? I didn't say that. I just wanted to look at the actual records in light of claims others made.

But I do think it is fair to recognize that both of these guys were great Rams qbs who led their teams from nowhere, wandering in the wilderness, to the Super Bowl. They also both happen to be really good human beings, actual nice guys, whose demeanor, beliefs and/or courtesy was or has been consistently mistaken for lack of competitiveness.

But others may feel that dumping on them is more satisfying.

For the record, imo there will likely never be another qb who accomplishes what Warner did, coming out of nowhere to take the Rams to a Super Bowl victory and later coming back to take Arizona to what should have been another. The second time came after being written off by virtually everyone-- and I mean ALL the pundits, posters and talking heads. Much more so than the ones writing off Goff now.

Warner was extraordinary.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly, you liked Kurt, don’t like Goff.

Not what I said at all. Again, I was fine with both moves. Neither bothered me. Because of Kurt's individual and team achievements I'd imagine that other fans would be more confident in Kurt returning to the level he'd been at and as such, might have been more upset that we moved on.

All just speculation on my part because IMO both moves were needed and I agreed in both cases.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
For the record, imo there will likely never be another qb who accomplishes what Warner did, coming out of nowhere to take the Rams to a Super Bowl victory and later coming back to take Arizona to what should have been another. The second time came after being written off by virtually everyone-- and I mean ALL the pundits, posters and talking heads. Much more so than the ones writing off Goff now.

Undrafted QB? Check
Phenominal early success, once inserted as the starter? Check
Idle or uninspiring play for about 5 years, written off by most? Check
Lead's second team to a Superbowl in 10th full season? Check

If you look at his dozen years in the NFL, it's all 3's.
3 teams
3 great years early
3 great years late
3 Superbowls

Nope, I don't think we'll see that again.

Tano

Legend
I can't spare JG from the blame. He didn't play well against SF a couple weeks prior and had two strong games after the Miami game against SEA and TB. I think the dude got too much in his own head and started doubting himself. Hopefully, he is able to use that chip on his shoulder to bring back his confidence and ballsiness.
Did you read my write up that HWSRN was just as much to blame in the Miami game as McVay was in his play calling.

Both had terrible games but McVay could have helped HWSRN so much if he had figured out that the WR screen would have worked against that Defense Miami was running.

Stated in my write up - that the Rams didn't do one WR screen until the 4th qtr and ran it 3 times against that same defense and got 15 yards each time.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't bring up the topic of Warner vs. Goff
There is no Warner vs Goff, that is a spin move in order to avoid the point made

So true.
If I didnt actually witness it myself, the movie about his career would be seem completely unrealistic, and impossible....

Last edited:

Tano

Legend
Did you read my write up that HWSRN was just as much to blame in the Miami game as McVay was in his play calling.

Both had terrible games but McVay could have helped HWSRN so much if he had figured out that the WR screen would have worked against that Defense Miami was running.

Stated in my write up - that the Rams didn't do one WR screen until the 4th qtr and ran it 3 times against that same defense and got 15 yards each time.
You can haha me Shuie3225 but it you rewatched that game - the Rams ran about 15 plays where they were 5 wide and Miami would have 6 guys at the line of scrimmage and the other 5 - 5 - 10 yards back.

In the first 3 qtrs - the Rams got absolutely nothing when Miami did that.

All 4 turnovers were due to those calls and a couple other batted balls and one other close interception.

They were terrible calls by McVay to run those types of plays.

But that defense was susceptible to WR screens.

The Rams finally ran 3 WR screens in that game and EACH TIME - they got 15 yards against the very same defense that was able to get 4 turnovers.

Sorry but you really need to look at the WR screens and compare them to the Turnovers - same exact formation.

Miami would have had to get out of that defense really fast and then our QB could then shred Miami's defense which he did in the fourth quarter. Miami did not get into that defense again once the Rams ran 3 WR screens. Rewatch it if you don't believe it.

It is a shame that a simple play like a WR screen was not ran against that defense until the 4th qtr.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
On the Goff subject, yeah....I don't get why anyone would bother to throw shade. Even if you really don't like him for some reason. He's a Lion now, so I would assume that a Goff hater got exactly what they wanted.

Me? I am just super sad that it didn't work out. I was a huge Goff supporter, as I am for all Rams QBs. I will also admit that I was absolutely flabbergasted at some of his play last season. It was almost surreal how bad it could be at times. Other times, he looked exactly like the guy we thought would retire a Ram with multiple rings. Frustrating. I wish him the best with his career, and it will be hard not to keep track of his progress in Detroit....at least this coming season.

Disclaimer: He is dead to me, like all non Ram players, the day we host them in LA....and any other time we play him going forward.
@Aulac what about my post did you feel was inappropriate???

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You can haha me Shuie3225 but it you rewatched that game - the Rams ran about 15 plays where they were 5 wide and Miami would have 6 guys at the line of scrimmage and the other 5 - 5 - 10 yards back.

In the first 3 qtrs - the Rams got absolutely nothing when Miami did that.

All 4 turnovers were due to those calls and a couple other batted balls and one other close interception.

They were terrible calls by McVay to run those types of plays.

But that defense was susceptible to WR screens.

The Rams finally ran 3 WR screens in that game and EACH TIME - they got 15 yards against the very same defense that was able to get 4 turnovers.

Sorry but you really need to look at the WR screens and compare them to the Turnovers - same exact formation.

Miami would have had to get out of that defense really fast and then our QB could then shred Miami's defense which he did in the fourth quarter. Miami did not get into that defense again once the Rams ran 3 WR screens. Rewatch it if you don't believe it.

It is a shame that a simple play like a WR screen was not ran against that defense until the 4th qtr.

It blew my mind that we weren't using them. Miami was playing their outside CBs like 8 to 10 yards off when they were in C-0. Of course, there's another fair question in addition to why McVay didn't call it. Why didn't Goff audible into WR screens? I can't say whether McVay gave him that flexibility or not. If he didn't, that's a little silly.

Tano

Legend
So exactly when is this Goff thread supposed to end?
I am going to keep this going because MachS hates it when I bring Goff up and since I have him on ignore it won't matter how much he shits on me for it;)

Actually I am not but I just couldn't help myself :)