The Aaron Rodgers Saga

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
His running back is seemingly new every year, currently a 5th rounder, they even had to play a WR at RB one year. His TE's are good? Retread after retread, they have a decent season with him and are gone the next year. Jared Cook, Jimmy graham etc. Remains to be seen how good his oline is with how quick he gets the ball out. Yes, Adams is great, but they cant come close to a #2 because he makes it work with the tomato cans he's stuck with. Heck, Rams fans think Woods & Kupp arent enough, the GB WR outside of Adams are Spag/Fisher worthy
Think about this. How many QBs even complain? How many QBs have crappy teams or bad Offensive lines, or no receivers? Does Rodgers get a pass just because he’s good? I don’t recall Brees complaining, or Stafford, or many QBs that are on perennial losing teams.

The “I’m so great that if my GM would only give me the perfect team to succeed with” argument is tired. Isn’t it supposed to be that a great QB elevates the play of those around him? Goff was criticized for needing great protection to succeed yet other QBs succeed without top of the league pass blocking.

I just don’t get it. He was in the championship game last year. His team does not suck. There are two sides to the ball to be drafted. I get that he wants a long term commitment but whining about not getting enough weapons when he has more than most teams is blaming others for his lack of success. It’s not like he played for the Jaguars or the Jets.

Ellard80

Legend
He has the right to be pissed ---- they drafted his replacement when he still looks to be in prime shape.

You can dislike the guy for whatever reason... but he isn't wrong for feeling slighted.

dang

Legend
He has the right to be pissed ---- they drafted his replacement when he still looks to be in prime shape.

You can dislike the guy for whatever reason... but he isn't wrong for feeling slighted.
Replacement in x years. Backup until then. What if Rodgers goes down. Why not groom someone over 3 years vs wait until it’s desperation time. The thing about Rodgers is he is great but he just acts/looks so doom and gloom when things don’t work out. He may be a great teammate but appears to be an isolated prima donna.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
You'll have to remind me, which of these teams traded up in the 1st round to draft a QB? And I also dont recall any of them being pissed and other than Garapolo and obviously Rodgers, who the other 2 even were (allegedly)
What does trading up have to do with? Yes all of these got frosted. When Steelers drafted Rudolph Ben called it a waste of a pick. It is well known Montana and young never talked and Favre and Rodgers never talked. And both took shots at their former orgs when they left. None of that was what one would call professional behaviour. they all showed a sense of entitlement due to their stature.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

It’s a business. They mentor him behind Rodgers. Then in two years they get picks for trading AR and have a cheap cap saving QB for a couple of years. Loyalty doesn’t exist in the NFL. Look at Gurley and Goff for example. Every team manages things their own way.
AR will be pissed because that’s who he is.

Ellard80

Legend
Replacement in x years. Backup until then. What if Rodgers goes down. Why not groom someone over 3 years vs wait until it’s desperation time. The thing about Rodgers is he is great but he just acts/looks so doom and gloom when things don’t work out. He may be a great teammate but appears to be an isolated prima donna.
you don't draft someones replacement at QB 3 years before... can you give an example in the last 20 years? There is only one that I can think of and ironically is Rodgers n Farve

No one drafts a back up QB in the 1st round.

Last edited:

Ellard80

Legend
It’s a business. They mentor him behind Rodgers. Then in two years they get picks for trading AR and have a cheap cap saving QB for a couple of years. Loyalty doesn’t exist in the NFL. Look at Gurley and Goff for example. Every team manages things their own way.
AR will be pissed because that’s who he is.

If thats the case then next year is Rodgers last year and he is basically a lame duck QB - so he should want out. He is acting the same way any other Qb of his level would.... regardless of personality.

He may be a prick but not because of this.

Last edited:

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I mean the guy plays in the same division as Detroit and Chicago....does it ever occur to him how his career would've gone if he had been drafted by those teams...our own Matt Stafford has never won a playoff game.

Rodgers can rage at the heavens if he wants....count me in the camp that thinks he has a hell of a lot more to be grateful for in his charmed existence.

Imo Green Bay should be grateful they have Rodgers. And I'm talking about his play, I don't care about his personal attitude.

Imagine being stuck in Mike McCarthy world year after year.

More importantly, maximize his chance to win a championship. GB might have won it all last year had they drafted a receiver. Rodgers with Chase Claypool probably crushes any D in the playoffs.

Look what Bruce Arrians did to make it happen for Brady and what SphincterPuss almost did for Drew Brees. What the Rams did for AD by adding Jalen Ramsay and now Stafford.

Take a great player and maximize his window to win it all. Or you can take the best qb in the NFL and leave him to win the Archie Manning award for futility.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
you don't draft someones replacement at QB 3 years before... can you give an example in the last 20 years? There is only one that I can think of and ironically is Rodgers n Farve

No one drafts a back up QB in the 1st round.

And with the best QB in the league under contract for four years. It's crazy. It guarantees wasting the talent of one or both of the players.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
@dieterbrock @PARAM. I think it’s telling when you hear about how much everyone that has played with Stafford loves him. But then you don’t hear that about Rodgers.

I don't think you really want to be comparing Rodgers with Stafford. It doesn't come out well for our guy. Rodgers is in a league of his own as a qb. Maybe a handful of other guys are even in that conversation.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't think you really want to be comparing Rodgers with Stafford. It doesn't come out well for our guy. Rodgers is in a league of his own as a qb. Maybe a handful of other guys are even in that conversation.
I’m not comparing talent. I’m saying good respected QBs. I even mentioned Goff in one of my post.

Just because Rodgers might be the best or at least top three in the league doesn’t mean he’s above criticism. The last I looked he doesn’t own nor run the Packers.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If thats the case then next year is Rodgers last year and he is basically a lame duck QB - so he should want out. He is acting the same way any other Qb of his level would.... regardless of personality.

He may be a prick but not because of this.
It all started with Green Bay drafting Love. It’s the exact same situation Rodgers came in the league under. Double standard.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
It all started with Green Bay drafting Love. It’s the exact same situation Rodgers came in the league under. Double standard.
How is it a double standard.? Rodgers never criticized Favre for freezing him out. Never criticized Favre for requesting a trade. Noe Favre criticizing Deshaun Watson for requesting a trade is an example of a double standard

Ellard80

Legend
not really a double standard though... he had no control of who drafted him or who the quarterback was or what the situation was when he arrived.

Ellard80

Legend
How is it a double standard.? Rodgers never criticized Favre for freezing him out. Never criticized Favre for requesting a trade. Noe Favre criticizing Deshaun Watson for requesting a trade is an example of a double standard

he didn't and also he didn't decide who drafted him...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It shows lack of understanding. He didn’t like it but saw it happen to Favre. I keep saying the NFL is a business. It was a business when he was drafted and still is today. There are lots of pieces to manage. Why is he so special if the same thing has happened to other players? I just used his example as one of those instances because he is more than familiar with it.

Ellard80

Legend
No but he also had no problem with it.
how do you know? Was he supposed to come out and say "man they really shouldn't have drafted me it's offensive to Brett Favre."

There was nothing to say or that he could say about it.

You nor I have no clue how he felt about it.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
It shows lack of understanding. He didn’t like it but saw it happen to Favre. I keep saying the NFL is a business. It was a business when he was drafted and still is today. There are lots of pieces to manage. Why is he so special if the same thing has happened to other players? I just used his example as one of those instances because he is more than familiar with it.
The thing I believe it is about personality. When Favre and Montana requested a trade noone faulted them because people like their personality. A lot of people donl like Rodgers so he gets criticized.