Teams To Interview Raheem Morris For HC Vacancies

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
2021-23 combined, mostly per game ... again, not the best. Not even close to the worst or bottom ten overall.
2024-01-23_3-21-34.jpg

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Would be weird for Seattle to push Pete out to hire a lesser version of Pete.
Yeah, I don't know what Seattle is going to do. Or any team for that matter.

Quinn has been tied to the Seahawks since Carroll was put-down because of his Seattle history.

Maybe the Hawks go in a different direction. I only put Ben Johnson with Washington because Boomer Esiason has been saying for over a week now that the 'inside information' has Johnson going there. Maybe Seattle goes offense.

Also have not heard Vrabel tied to a specific team. Maybe he sits out a year.

Fun to speculate.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I think with any DC, it's not all about the stats. You're leading by 14 and there's 5 minutes left in the game. Is it better to allow 60 yards in 3.5 minutes or should you blitz and play like you need to prevent a FG? It's also about developing players. Part of that is communication......getting your message clearly through. How many young players did Phillips develop? Staley? Morris?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Mike Vrabel will be the next coach of the Seadicks
Interesting to consider how that would look. Seems it would trend this division to more physicality for sure. Already got the shitters in that regard. Seattle going caveman under Vrabel would cement that aspect with this division because the Rams are already going that direction. Petey used to be that guy but as he aged out of the game and received repeated ass beatings from McVay he was trending to passhappiness.

So I could see that yeah. And Vrabel would be much more insistent on that physicality in his drafting and design. Don't think he's a guy who can win a division with McVay and Ratboy in it but his type of team would be a real annoyance. He'd jettison Metcalf's oversized crybaby ass quickly I am sure, which would suck as I would miss his sideline tantrums during games.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting to consider how that would look
I think that Carroll was a really good coach, but he was a "players coach". Which is fine, it works when it works. I think that if they want to change direction, it's not about hiring an offense or defense minded coach, but more of a culture.
Bring in Vrabel, reunite him with Artur Smith (no idea how their relationship was) and draft a QB (Either Nix or Penix would be a smart move from a PR standpoint)
They'd be off and running

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think that Carroll was a really good coach, but he was a "players coach". Which is fine, it works when it works. I think that if they want to change direction, it's not about hiring an offense or defense minded coach, but more of a culture.
Bring in Vrabel, reunite him with Artur Smith (no idea how their relationship was) and draft a QB (Either Nix or Penix would be a smart move from a PR standpoint)
They'd be off and running
Petey was definitely a players coach, but I'd add he should never have trended away from the basic teams he was best at producing. That ring he won was with defense and run game. And I think that style can always work if you build it correctly. He just got away from where his power curve is, and his teams lost that toughness that made them so good in his best years.

They definitely need a QB. Doing that at 16 though... It's gonna be interesting with 8 teams by my count who probably are thinking QB ahead of them.

Vrabel comes from that Parcells school of QB tough love, where he values a game manager that isn't going to fuck him over with hero play. So what I'd expect he does is sign a veteran of some shape or form. Would be funny if it ended up being Tannehill too. :laugh4:

oldnotdead

Legend
Vrabel makes more sense to the Seahawks but what about for Vrabel? Of all the retreads he's got the best resume. That said ownership and GMs will be worried about his prickly nature. It's no secret Vrabel was fired because of his criticism of the GM and indirectly of ownership. That is something the Seahawks might want to steer clear of. The NFL is difficult enough without creating issues.

The feeling was in TN Vrabel was scapegoating the GM for his two poor seasons (last two years). They also thought he was brown nosing in NE knowing a change was coming. IMO that is why he isn't scheduled for a second interview. I think Seattle is Morris' most likely destination at this point.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Would be funny if it ended up being Tannehill and Derrick Henry too.
Fixed!
Totally agree with you. I think PC was a good coach but truly struck gold in his drafts from 2010-2012 because of the intel he had coming from the college ranks. After that, his drafts and FA were pretty lousy

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
I think with any DC, it's not all about the stats. You're leading by 14 and there's 5 minutes left in the game. Is it better to allow 60 yards in 3.5 minutes or should you blitz and play like you need to prevent a FG? It's also about developing players. Part of that is communication......getting your message clearly through. How many young players did Phillips develop? Staley? Morris?
Well, yes and no. Winning is what matters most. But to win you have to do certain things and those things are able to be counted and ranked to get an understanding of what happened.

These kinds of things are used by coaches to get promoted or to get new contracts and so forth. Also for awards like Assistant coach of the year.

So I agree--the biggest feather in a DC's cap would be a ring and after that having a playoff-quality defense. But when you look at the numbers all the teams ... the better statistical defenses are the ones in the playoffs at least in some categories.

So in that context Wade Phillips had a good defense. Staley had a great defense. But we have to wonder if he was a genius or just a smart coach a year ahead of his time and he's just a good coach.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That is close to the bone, around here. :eyeroll:
That chick lives somewhere in the PNW, or in the greater Portland area, for sure....
She lived in a trailer in Oregon City with her boyfriend when all that went down. You couldn't get away from hearing about it. You could never get the trailer park out of ole Tanya.
Let’s just say you don’t know shit about the Rams organization and its coaches. McVay has always supported his coaches and the endorsement of them. McVay and his coaches has never been two faced, which apparently you must be used to being since you are so quick to accuse.

Why must you always be so negative towards the Rams, including their coaches and their players? This tells me a lot about your character.
Keep it about the subject - not the poster.
Wow. First of all chill. Try attacking the post and not the poster. You don't know me and I'll leave it at that.
Cheers

I really don't want to see him at the helm of the shecocks. I think Morris is a good coach, motivator, and person. That's the last thing I want to see replacing the gum chewer.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I keep hoping I'm going to tune in here and see news about Morris. Unfortunately, almost all I see is a constant, repetitive, and redundant debate over good v bad Morris.

Guess I'll hold my breath.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
I don't think it can be overstated - and this is where Morris (and Ram management as a whole) fits in - that is treating people like humans is paramount to the success of the organization.

In my experience, and I've worked for a company where if you wanted to interview for a different job, your current manager could not interfere with that. While that policy was not in and of itself, the end all and be all - it was indicative of the other polices that made this environment a great place to work. I also slaved away at a company, where I did investigate another position - and my management deep sixed it. Again, that was just typical of the management versus serf mentality prevalent at that place. (They are the 49r's to me now!!)

So, in regards to the Rams, culture is critical to getting and keeping the right players. Working to make everyone accepted and free to do what they see is right, is a breath of fresh air in a very competitive market.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
That ring he won was with defense and run game.
And the one he lost was with defense and choosing not to run from the 1 yard line. Since then, nada.

After Callahan was hired yesterday, some talking heads thought the rest of the owners would speed things up. I hope so because either we have a DC or we're looking for one. But I think Morris is gonna get screwed again.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Vrabel makes more sense to the Seahawks but what about for Vrabel? Of all the retreads he's got the best resume. That said ownership and GMs will be worried about his prickly nature. It's no secret Vrabel was fired because of his criticism of the GM and indirectly of ownership. That is something the Seahawks might want to steer clear of. The NFL is difficult enough without creating issues.

The feeling was in TN Vrabel was scapegoating the GM for his two poor seasons (last two years). They also thought he was brown nosing in NE knowing a change was coming. IMO that is why he isn't scheduled for a second interview. I think Seattle is Morris' most likely destination at this point.
If I'm Rah I don't want to go to a team that has to face McVay and Shanny 2x a year. In Atlanta he could regularly win a division.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
If I'm Rah I don't want to go to a team that has to face McVay and Shanny 2x a year. In Atlanta he could regularly win a division.
I think it's quite the opposite. He's quite familiar with both, and probably has his own ideas and philosophies on how to stop both. One of the criticisms of McVay letting all his personnel go, is he is creating a scenario where a majority of the league will know how he thinks.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Vrabel makes more sense to the Seahawks but what about for Vrabel? Of all the retreads he's got the best resume. That said ownership and GMs will be worried about his prickly nature. It's no secret Vrabel was fired because of his criticism of the GM and indirectly of ownership.

The feeling was in TN Vrabel was scapegoating the GM for his two poor seasons (last two years).

I feel like I am piling-on, and I apologize but this is a good example of where your posts can be frustrating.

You state your opinions as fact ('it's no secret' and 'the feeling was in TN'); and then you miss-state facts.

There was no Titans' GM for the last two seasons. Current TN GM Ran Carthon was hired in January, 2023.

Carthon replaced Jon Robinson who was fired the month before, after being the Tennessee GM for seven seasons. Robinson had some awful drafts in recent years, including one of the biggest first round busts ever ... OT Isaiah Wilson who played one snap in his rookie season, was traded after that season and then waived by his new team three days later.

Robinson was also the guy who traded A.J. Brown to the Eagles and replaced him with the first round draft choice acquired from Philadelphia ... Treylon Burks, who has 49 receptions and one touchdown in two seasons.

All the above can easily be verified with a couple google searches.

So, you see, what you wrote can not be true because the facts just don't support it.

Suppose you had just written ...
I think Vrabel got screwed by a terrible GM, and may have been vocal about it; and the new GM (Ran Carthon) may just have wanted to hire his own guy at head coach.
That's a legit opinion, and no one would have an issue with it.

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend
There's been some good reporting on Vrabel and Amy Strunk (Stunk?) from Charles Robinson. She seems like she's a handful on an owner who is a bit impulsive (ala Tepper but with the Temper!). Vrabel is a guy who thinks that it begins and ends with the coach, ala Bilechuck and everyone, including the GM works for him (not gonna argue if this is the best way to do things or not). Strunk wanted a consensus leadership of GM, Coach and possibly President. It also struck her the wrong way the way he spoke at his Patriots induction ceremony. No one in the building could believe it when he was fired.

The rumors have stated that Vrabel was ambivalent about staying.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't want to work for Strunk. She's probably better than Spanos but something about her bugs me. I don't think it's a bad thing to have consensus among your leadership, but there has to be a boss for when consensus is forced and the others get in line. Is that Carthon. And is he up to snuff to build that team.

I do like Levis, quite a lot actually, as the QB1. So I'll give the GM credit on that one assuming he took him. Her comments make me think Carthon and Vrabel couldn't get along, but that roster has a long way to go and that division is on the rise I think. Jags have a good coach in place, so do the Texans and Colts. All of them have young QBs who could be studs. Have a feeling the Titans are going to be spending a lot of time in the basement under old Amy.