Teams To Interview Raheem Morris For HC Vacancies

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Exactly, the way I see it as well. It's why I've been expecting them to "promote" Morris to consultant status so he doesn't have "got his ass fired" on his resume. To me it was when they brought on Jimmy Lake as Asst. HC which is code for no poaching unless it's for a bonafide HC job. It means the team has plans for the guy and don't want to have to openly deny him.

The Rams are trying too hard to sell Raheem and all it does IMO is put a "Buyer Beware" tag on him. Also, I don't think Pleasant comes back unless they made him some promises. He was fine under Wade.

IMO this is coming from Kroenke more than Snead. He's spending millions to build a dynasty type franchise only to be saddled with a DC that plays passive. If I were Stan I'd be livid. You have one of the most innovative HC in McVay but put up with a mediocre DC?

He should trade him to the Chargers since they owe Stan because they are not paying their rent.
I dunno. I was critical of Morris last yr when he had more horses, but this year he didn't exactly have to the personnel to blitz and play man to man. I think he got the most out of a unit with one proven pass rusher to start the year who gets triple teamed, and a secondary that was below avg at best and not loaded with guys with many cover skills.

So he avoided giving up the big play and when he did its when he did put guys on islands like DK. So I can't fault him for what they did this year. BTW, I don't recall him sitting back passively when they had Miller, Floyd, Donald, Gaines, etc...

If he comes back and they upgrade both the front and backends, let's see what he does.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Can we be honest here? No team is trying this hard and going this far out of their way to get their DC hired as a HC unless they're ready to move on.

I have no doubt that they mean every word they say that they believe Raheem would make a good HC again but I think McVay is ready for an innovator type like Staley back in that position as opposed to someone who's a great leader but not the best tactician. I think McVay saw hiring Raheem as a quick pit stop for a good coach on his way back up the coaching ladder and now he's stuck a little longer than everyone envisioned.

The compensatory picks don't hurt either.

In my opinion, this is a cynical take based on a belief that Raheem is not a good coach.
I think the more likely scenario is that they believe it’s a win-win, they actually do believe Rahim is that good and deserves an opportunity, and they see a coach getting that opportunity being a good reflection on the organization.
If Raheem gets that opportunity, they get 2/3 round draft picks, that’s a big win. You pointed that out. But they also believe in themselves as an organization in the ability to go out and find another great defensive coordinator.
Jordan, alluded to the organization may be feeling like they dropped the ball after the Super Bowl in not pushing harder for Raheem to get a head coaching job, and this may be a little overcompensation for that.
I love the Motte Bailey, I don't fall for it but it is a great strategy

Last edited:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I love the Motte Bailey, I don't fall for it but it is a great strategy
How does that model fit here? Honestly asking about the rhetorical issue (method)?

Because it was an honest reaction to the premise presented… that the Rams are trying to move on from Raheem by praising him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In my opinion, this is a cynical take based on a belief that Raheem is not a good coach.
I think the more likely scenario is that they believe it’s a win-win, they actually do believe Rahim is that good and deserves an opportunity, and they see a coach getting that opportunity being a good reflection on the organization.
If Raheem gets that opportunity, they get 2/3 round draft picks, that’s a big win. You pointed that out. But they also believe in themselves as an organization in the ability to go out and find another great defensive coordinator.
Jordan, alluded to the organization may be feeling like they dropped the ball after the Super Bowl in not pushing harder for Raheem to get a head coaching job, and this may be a little overcompensation for that.
Disagree. McVay isn't bullshitting. Guy has (almost) always been in full support of his assistants getting promotions.

oldnotdead

Legend
Talked today with family in Seattle. Apparently, they are leaning towards Mike Vrable at this point. Because he's been a successful HC in TN. He had two down years that got him fired. The weakness in Seattle is on defense and that is Vrabel's background. In TN Vrabel had winning seasons in his first 4 seasons and playoff appearances in 3 of those seasons.

Any HC will have to turn that part of the team around quickly to be competitive in the NFCW. It's why they interviewed Raheem on Friday. I think Morris is a more known quantity seeing they have faced his defenses for the past 3 years. So far only 3 of their candidates have had prior HC experience. One thing Morris has going for him is that he knows the Rams well, particularly McVay and his offense.

Unless someone else is named as a coach of interest it's probably between Morris and Vrabel. It sounds like the SeaHawks aren't sold on a first time HC, because they feel they are close and need some key pieces and better coaching. The thing that cuts against Morris is that McVay knows Raheem equally well. That's why my family feels it's probably going to be Vrabel at this point.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I dunno. I was critical of Morris last yr when he had more horses, but this year he didn't exactly have to the personnel to blitz and play man to man. I think he got the most out of a unit with one proven pass rusher to start the year who gets triple teamed, and a secondary that was below avg at best and not loaded with guys with many cover skills.

So he avoided giving up the big play and when he did its when he did put guys on islands like DK. So I can't fault him for what they did this year. BTW, I don't recall him sitting back passively when they had Miller, Floyd, Donald, Gaines, etc...

If he comes back and they upgrade both the front and backends, let's see what he does.

What joke OBND is !!! His HATE for Noteboom is actually Hilarious!!
Les Snead just got done talking Raheem Morris up.Like you said,let’s see.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
His first half gameplan against the Lions was horrible. I'm hoping some team will hire him, but I don't think so. More Morris defense next year. Oh the joy.
First half game plan the same as the second. Watch the film.

What didn't work in the first half worked in the second half. Watch the film.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Is Martingale still relevant?
Rams D outperformed the Giants D, significantly.
So did the Rams O, and the Giants D was always out on the field and would get gassed. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if and when Raheem takes a job to invite Wink in for an interview. McVay speaks very highly of him.

If not, my guess is he will join Bellicheat and McHoodie if he plans to coach football next year.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of course it is.
Unless someone is digesting every twitter remark for every team with the same passion that we digest them about the Rams (which is basically impossible), it's total nonsense
Anyone who has ever paid attention to McVay over his tenure knows that he wants what's best for his guys and will do what he can to help them. And if Morris wants to be a HC, he'll get the support from the team, even if it sets them back

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly, the way I see it as well. It's why I've been expecting them to "promote" Morris to consultant status so he doesn't have "got his ass fired" on his resume. To me it was when they brought on Jimmy Lake as Asst. HC which is code for no poaching unless it's for a bonafide HC job. It means the team has plans for the guy and don't want to have to openly deny him.
Serious question, do you ever read any comments people post in response to your completely false takes?
Asst HC is not a title that holds weight, and he is free to interview for a DC position without needing any blessing from the team, nor can they block it.
And this Morris stuff is so pathetic, if the Rams wanted an upgrade at DC, they'd make one despite their feelings for a coach. Ask Wade Phillips.

jjab360

Legend
They're not saying anything now, that they weren't saying two years ago.

https://andscape.com/features/hes-g...eem-morris-has-a-key-supporter-in-sean-mcvay/
That's kind of my point though. They hired Raheem with the knowledge that he is a great leader capable of being a head coach again and that this position should basically be a rung on the ladder back to the top for him.

Not that he's not a good coach and I think he's proven he can be a good lifetime DC if he wanted but everyone knows that's not his goal. And I think it's getting a little bit frustrating for all parties involved that he's not reaching his goal when everyone feels like he deserves it.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Honestly I don't think Morris gets a head coaching job. His demeanor is not grave enough. I think he's the Rooney rule interview for teams bringing him in.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I like Morris as DC. But I can't help but to root for him to get a HC job.

I'm just torn if I want it more for his opportunity to shine or for the extra 3rd round selections.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
How does that model fit here? Honestly asking about the rhetorical issue (method)?

Because it was an honest reaction to the premise presented… that the Rams are trying to move on from Raheem by praising him.
Jjab presented the case that the Rams front office is trying to promote the departure of Rah because they want to move on not because he is worthy and you are saying that Jjab just wants him gone because he is not in support of Rah is your argument and quite possibly true

"The Rams don't even want him that's why they are vocally supporting him"

It reminded me of a Motte Baily esque logical fallacy You were obviously the role of respondent

EX:
Arguer: I think we should legalize euthanasia for newborns if parents decide they can’t handle the responsibility of raising a child.

Respondent: By definition, that would be murder.

Arguer: I’m only trying to protect parents’ freedom and prevent children from being raised under neglectful or impoverished conditions. You don’t want children growing up in poverty, do you?

Last edited:

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Can we be honest here? No team is trying this hard and going this far out of their way to get their DC hired as a HC unless they're ready to move on.

I have no doubt that they mean every word they say that they believe Raheem would make a good HC again but I think McVay is ready for an innovator type like Staley back in that position as opposed to someone who's a great leader but not the best tactician. I think McVay saw hiring Raheem as a quick pit stop for a good coach on his way back up the coaching ladder and now he's stuck a little longer than everyone envisioned.

The compensatory picks don't hurt either.
Let’s just say you don’t know shit about the Rams organization and its coaches. McVay has always supported his coaches and the endorsement of them. McVay and his coaches has never been two faced, which apparently you must be used to being since you are so quick to accuse.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek

The Rams are trying too hard to sell Raheem and all it does IMO is put a "Buyer Beware" tag on him. Also, I don't think Pleasant comes back unless they made him some promises. He was fine under Wade.

IMO this is coming from Kroenke more than Snead. He's spending millions to build a dynasty type franchise only to be saddled with a DC that plays passive. If I were Stan I'd be livid. You have one of the most innovative HC in McVay but put up with a mediocre DC?

He should trade him to the Chargers since they owe Stan because they are not paying their rent.
Why must you always be so negative towards the Rams, including their coaches and their players? This tells me a lot about your character.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
So did the Rams O, and the Giants D was always out on the field and would get gassed. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if and when Raheem takes a job to invite Wink in for an interview. McVay speaks very highly of him.

If not, my guess is he will join Bellicheat and McHoodie if he plans to coach football next year.
It would surprise me. A lot.

Look at his hires.