TE Lewis available

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Could be coaches speak too.....Going after Eifert tells a different story. I would mind seeing an upgrade if possible. I like what I seen out of Gerald Everett, I am down on Higbee, his targets to catches ratio is poor. He should be producing more based on the targets he gets. Havent seen enough of Hemingway to really have an opinion there.
And going after Eifert could be exactly what I said. The chance to add an oft injured vet on a prove it deal. Most any coach wouldn't pass that chance up.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Somehow I doubt McVay is going to come out and say that his tight ends as a group failed to live up to expectations. Given the importance of that position in his schemes as I've already pointed out, it's much more likely that he wants significant improvement from that position. It also happens to match the eye test with regards to fans watching those TEs play this past season. I should say McVay better be expecting improvements given the low bar to clear.

Plus, you basically proved my point for me. The Rams offered "a chronically injured vet" a deal worth up to $8.5 million, which he turned down in favor of returning to his team in Cincinnati. Why would the team be throwing around that much money to address an area of supposed non-concern, especially when it has yet to address the run-defense and pass-rushing, which were both stated priorities to be addressed improved upon?
Curious where you came up with the amount they offered. And again I repeat, fans are reading into what they think McVay wants. Let him tell us what he wants by the people that are signed and drafted. Until then it's just baseless guesses and assumptions.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing that McVay is showing in this free agency period - while he is willing to pursue other team's players if there is a chance they would be a star compared to what the Rams have internally or can realistically draft, they really aren't going for routine players no matter how much some fans call for them. A whole bunch of ILBs have come and gone with no pursuit from the Rams for instance. No NTs were being pursued - until there was a chance to get Suh. Then suddenly the Rams are having him in even though it seems to contradict their goal to front load AD. They bid big on Eifert - who is injury prone but when healthy is one of the best pass catching TEs in the league.

Lewis is not really a difference maker compared to what the team can expect from their young TEs. He is old, at this stage he's more of a blocking TE who catches some. The Rams expect Everett at least to outdo him as a pass catcher. So there is little chance the Rams will spend cap dollars on him - unless he got really cheap, at least.

I do think the Rams will sign a few vets to fill holes - so maybe if no team really makes Lewis an offer, the Rams could revisit him.

Ranma

Rookie
Curious where you came up with the amount they offered. And again I repeat, fans are reading into what they think McVay wants. Let him tell us what he wants by the people that are signed and drafted. Until then it's just baseless guesses and assumptions.

Well, I just have access to the Internet and try to follow news pertaining to my teams. You, on the other hand, would rather rationalize something with "baseless guesses and assumptions" you're accusing others of. Actions speak louder than empty words (coach's speak) as the Rams' attempt to sign Eifert indicates. Despite not actually signing or drafting him, it certainly qualifies as a sign that the team is not satisfied with its TE production.

I've already gone over other signals that indicate that to be the case, but you go right ahead and believe the coach speak and assume everything is hunky dory.

Jim Owczarski, Cincinnati.com (3/19/18)
He afforded the club an opportunity to match the Rams' offer that could push the deal to about $8.5 million should he hit all of his performance incentives. He earned a $3 million signing bonus and a $500,000 workout bonus. He also can also earn up to $1 million if he plays every game by receiving a $62,500 per game if he's on the active 46-man roster. .

Efiert also can earn up to $3 million more in receptions, receiving yards and touchdown incentives.
Tyler Eifert Re-Signs with Cincinnati Bengals for One Year

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Could be coaches speak too.....Going after Eifert tells a different story. I would mind seeing an upgrade if possible. I like what I seen out of Gerald Everett, I am down on Higbee, his targets to catches ratio is poor. He should be producing more based on the targets he gets. Havent seen enough of Hemingway to really have an opinion there.
Higbee and Hemingway aren't McVay guys so I don't think either is standing on solid ground. The interest in Eifert was interesting for sure, might have been looking at a cheap reclamation project

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I just have access to the Internet and try to follow news pertaining to my teams. You, on the other hand, would rather rationalize something with "baseless guesses and assumptions" you're accusing others of. Actions speak louder than empty words (coach's speak) as the Rams' attempt to sign Eifert indicates. Despite not actually signing or drafting him, it certainly qualifies as a sign that the team is not satisfied with its TE production.

I've already gone over other signals that indicate that to be the case, but you go right ahead and believe the coach speak and assume everything is hunky dory.

Jim Owczarski, Cincinnati.com (3/19/18)

Tyler Eifert Re-Signs with Cincinnati Bengals for One Year
Stay classy with the unnecessary pot shots. But I’m glad you linked that article that it seems neither of us had read because it proves my point. It’s a $4.5 million deal with another $4 million in possible incentives if he for once stays healthy. Which again is what I said, he likes his TE group but took a chance at a veteran who’s been good if he’s healthy on a cheap prove it deal.

Last edited:

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
Hurns, Hankins and Bowman and call it an off-season.
If the Rams finished up FA with these three players I would be very happy. Especially with Hankins and Bowman. Hurns could be a very nice addition as well. I like his size and catch ability over the middle.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stay classy, those pot shots are unnecessary. Your $8.5 million claim is also shredded by the article you linked. Read on line over again. “Could reach $8.5 million” their are at least $4 million listed in the article making that deal pretty much what I said. A cheap one year contract, which falls in line with my other comments that he likes the TE group but was willing to add an oft injured vet on a cheap prove it deal. Thank you for linking the article I’d never seen that proved my point.

Stay classy with the unnecessary pot shots. But I’m glad you linked that article that it seems neither of us had read because it proves my point. It’s a $4.5 million deal with another $4 million in possible incentives if he for once stays healthy. Which again is what I said, he likes his TE group but took a chance at a veteran who’s been good if he’s healthy on a cheap prove it deal.
I don't think you meant to capture me here?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Joe Klopfenstein is available.

In all seriousness, interesting note... he's the same age as Lewis. (y)

Ranma

Rookie
Stay classy, those pot shots are unnecessary. Your $8.5 million claim is also shredded by the article you linked. Read on line over again. “Could reach $8.5 million” their are at least $4 million listed in the article making that deal pretty much what I said. A cheap one year contract, which falls in line with my other comments that he likes the TE group but was willing to add an oft injured vet on a cheap prove it deal. Thank you for linking the article I’d never seen that proved my point.

I read it just fine, hence my use of "a deal worth up to $8.5 million" in my initial response to you, so maybe you should re-read what I've posted. The cap hit is actually only just over $4 million but it hardly indicates that he likes the TE group. There you go overelying on coach speak again. The only tight end he drafted on the roster was Everett and even he was McVay's 2nd choice when the Rams missed out on Evan Engram. Tamarack Hemingway and Tyler Higbee were both selections made under the Fisher regime.

Tell me what exactly about our tight end performance leads you to think that they are playing well? Do you honestly think the Rams are satisfied with the production from this group when McVay is used to so much more during his days with Jordan Reed, especially when we're trying to contend for a championship and replace the 7 red-zone touchdowns Watkins had? The team was quick to move on from Ogletree and Quinn when they underperformed and didn't fit and that was right after signing Ogletree to an extension. Every one of the Rams' tight ends are works in progress that have yet to live up to expectations.

Going after Eifert on a "prove it" deal showed that the team wanted more from their tight ends, otherwise why spend money on a short-term solution who is "chronically injured", as you pointed out, when he is unlikely to have a future with the team moving forward? A $4-million cap hit may be something to scoff at for you, but it's just shy of what Robert Woods will be paid for the upcoming season, plus, the Rams were this close to cutting Tavon Austin over $3 million, so it's not like the team is in a position to throw money around on a gamble unless the team felt like TE is an area that needed to be improved upon at least in the short term. Like I've said, the team prioritized improving the run and pass-rushing defense, which has yet to be addressed. And you think $4 million wouldn't make a difference in negotiations with Suh or the other holes that still need to be filled, especially with Donald's contract extension on the front office's mind? Yeah, that makes plenty of sense, but by all means, continue on lapping up the coach speak and ignoring signs while missing out on the big picture.

Also, it shouldn't escape notice that the Rams sent recently-promoted pass game coordinator Shane Waldron to the NFL combine to work with tight end prospects. What a coincidence.

Last edited:

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
And going after Eifert could be exactly what I said. The chance to add an oft injured vet on a prove it deal. Most any coach wouldn't pass that chance up.

Why does every response lately seem like you are arguing?. You never said it, you simply asked the question. Love ya man, but I feel like I can’t respond to any of your post lately.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
We have 2 young tight ends that played decent last year. Another year in the system and they will be fine .

Team has too many needs to go out and get another tight end . Everett will be a playmaker very soon , take a while for a tight end to adjust to NFL blocking and beating safeties in coverage

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why does every response lately seem like you are arguing?. You never said it, you simply asked the question. Love ya man, but I feel like I can’t respond to any of your post lately.
Sorry, I'm definitely not angry or argumentive. I find it funny people insinuating I'm wrong when I'm speculating something because their speculation is right. Or even funnier is we here something from McCarthy, Ahead or a player and that gets ignored and the opposite they say is reality, just makes me laugh.

Edit: And I'll expand one that makes me laugh the most. We sent our TE coach to the combine that has to mean we're drafting a TE high because we don't like our group there. Guess what, we sent Coach Pleasant there so that mean we don't like our CB or maybe we're not planning on Joyner signing the franchise tag and our 1st rounder will be a DB. Hey I heard Coach Peete went there, maybe we'll take TG3's replacement in the 1st? How about Coach Taylor going there I guess we're moving on from Goff. All our coaches go there and go to pro days. Yet the only position we're supposed to read anything into is the TE cause Coaches Waldron and Yarber went to the combine.

Last edited:

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Sorry, I'm definitely not angry or argumentive. I find it funny people insinuating I'm wrong when I'm speculating something because their speculation is right. Or even funnier is we here something from McCarthy, Ahead or a player and that gets ignored and the opposite they say is reality, just makes me laugh.

Edit: And I'll expand one that makes me laugh the most. We sent our TE coach to the combine that has to mean we're drafting a TE high because we don't like our group there. Guess what, we sent Coach Pleasant there so that mean we don't like our CB or maybe we're not planning on Joyner signing the franchise tag and our 1st rounder will be a DB. Hey I heard Coach Peete went there, maybe we'll take TG3's replacement in the 1st? How about Coach Taylor going there I guess we're moving on from Goff. All our coaches go there and go to pro days. Yet the only position we're supposed to read anything into is the TE cause Coaches Waldron and Yarber went to the combine.

Ahh, disregard my last post, sounds kind of beachy...my apologies.

To your point about your edit though, one thing that does get lost is lots of these interviews and what not are not always for the draft. Scouts, GMs and FO personal keep these interviews and evaluations for years, so when these draftees become free agents they have information to back to when deciding to sign them as a FA or not.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Besides, they might see a TE they like enough to use one of the 6th rounders on. They lost Carrier, they may or may not want to get another TE.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ahh, disregard my last post, sounds kind of beachy...my apologies.

To your point about your edit though, one thing that does get lost is lots of these interviews and what not are not always for the draft. Scouts, GMs and FO personal keep these interviews and evaluations for years, so when these draftees become free agents they have information to back to when deciding to sign them as a FA or not.
Nah no need to apologize we all have ideas and want to be accurate. I’m often guilty of what you said.

I totally agree with what you said about the edit. In a way though that reinforces my idea that the coaches there doesn’t always mean we’ll draft somebody in one of those positions. They could be looking for future reference like you said or they could have no intention of drafting a certain position but then get blown away by somebody. This time of year is filled with false trails, coach/GM speak and guess work. It makes it very fun but also very uncertain.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Nah no need to apologize we all have ideas and want to be accurate. I’m often guilty of what you said.

I totally agree with what you said about the edit. In a way though that reinforces my idea that the coaches there doesn’t always mean we’ll draft somebody in one of those positions. They could be looking for future reference like you said or they could have no intention of drafting a certain position but then get blown away by somebody. This time of year is filled with false trails, coach/GM speak and guess work. It makes it very fun but also very uncertain.

Could not agree more!