TE Lewis available

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ranma

Rookie
The only problem is that he's lost what little speed he had to begin with and he'll be 34 when the season starts. If we can get him real cheap, then I don't mind having another body, particularly a vet, to show Everett, Higbee, and Hemingway the ropes.

He should help as a blocker and could maybe be a nice red-zone target to pick up some of the slack lost from Watkins' departure in that department.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A 34 year old tight end who’s averaged 20 receptions a year for the last five years. He’s also been missing four or five games a year over that time frame and this is exactly what we need? Yeah no thanks.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Our tight ends are fine. I doubt Mcvay is worried about bringing in another .

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I could see an elite pass catching TE added - I doubt an ancient guy who's a JAG at this stage.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Jaguars saved about $10.5 million in cap space by releasing Lewis and Hurns. They were kinda tight against the cap; now they have wiggle room.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Depending on how well he has handled his finances, you have to wonder how close Lewis is to the point that the amount he's going to get paid isn't worth the damage he's doing to his body.

BadCompany

Rookie
I just don't see tight end being all that much of a need for us. We had a rookie and a 2nd year player manning the position last year, and they always say that its rare for a TE to have an immediate impact. Plus, let's be honest here, there are only so many plays to go around. I'm all for spreading the ball around, and having weapons and all that, but we were a prolific passing team last year as it was, so I don't see the urgency here.

I fully expect Higbee and Everett to take additional steps forward this year, and unless there is a need for a mentor here, I really don't see the point in adding.

Ranma

Rookie

I just don't see tight end being all that much of a need for us. We had a rookie and a 2nd year player manning the position last year, and they always say that its rare for a TE to have an immediate impact. Plus, let's be honest here, there are only so many plays to go around. I'm all for spreading the ball around, and having weapons and all that, but we were a prolific passing team last year as it was, so I don't see the urgency here.

I fully expect Higbee and Everett to take additional steps forward this year, and unless there is a need for a mentor here, I really don't see the point in adding.

The Rams apparently thought TE could use some improving when they pursued Tyler Eifert this off-season, which really shouldn't be a surprise given McVay's reliance on Jordan Reed in Washington and none of the Rams' tight ends have come close to replicating Reed's production at this point.

Plus, filling in for the production lost from the departure of Watkins, particularly with respect to red-zone touch downs, with a committee approach would be significantly helped by the improving on the TEs.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
IDK. McVay has said that our TE's as a whole have to produce a lot more. or words to that effect!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams apparently thought TE could use some improving when they pursued Tyler Eifert this off-season, which really shouldn't be a surprise given McVay's reliance on Jordan Reed in Washington and none of the Rams' tight ends have come close to replicating Reed's production at this point.

Plus, filling in for the production lost from the departure of Watkins, particularly with respect to red-zone touch downs, with a committee approach would be significantly helped by the improving on the TEs.
Was it wanting to improve the TE group or were they seeing how cheap they could get a chronically injured vet on a prove it deal? We’ll never know but it’s nice speculation.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IDK. McVay has said that our TE's as a whole have to produce a lot more. or words to that effect!
He also said he thinks the young guys improved during the season and he expects them to do the same this year.

Ranma

Rookie
Was it wanting to improve the TE group or were they seeing how cheap they could get a chronically injured vet on a prove it deal? We’ll never know but it’s nice speculation.

He also said he thinks the young guys improved during the season and he expects them to do the same this year.

Somehow I doubt McVay is going to come out and say that his tight ends as a group failed to live up to expectations. Given the importance of that position in his schemes as I've already pointed out, it's much more likely that he wants significant improvement from that position. It also happens to match the eye test with regards to fans watching those TEs play this past season. I should say McVay better be expecting improvements given the low bar to clear.

Plus, you basically proved my point for me. The Rams offered "a chronically injured vet" a deal worth up to $8.5 million, which he turned down in favor of returning to his team in Cincinnati. Why would the team be throwing around that much money to address an area of supposed non-concern, especially when it has yet to address the run-defense and pass-rushing, which were both stated priorities to be addressed improved upon?

Last edited:

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

Could be coaches speak too.....Going after Eifert tells a different story. I would mind seeing an upgrade if possible. I like what I seen out of Gerald Everett, I am down on Higbee, his targets to catches ratio is poor. He should be producing more based on the targets he gets. Havent seen enough of Hemingway to really have an opinion there.