Suh signs one year deal with the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I must be in the minority here. I have never been a big Suh fan. Unless the Rams win it all this year, I'm not thinking this is worth it.

$14 mil. We basically swapped out Watkins for Suh. Are we ok with that?

This is either a one shot $14mil rental, or there will definitely not be enough $$ to re-sign Joyner, Saffold, Brown, and Havs next year if Suh is kept for a second year.
Are we Ok with that?

A first or 2nd rounder on a rookie contract who could start and rotate would cost how much for 4-5 years?
...but we're shelling out $14mil for ONE season?
Are we ok with that?

It's now or never. I'm gonna have to double my bet on the Rams winning the super bowl before the odds change.
It’s not really something to be concerned about next year as we can still do everything you questioned. Fact is that he makes us a serious Super Bowl contender and we still have the draft AND an extra third if he walks AND the ability to extend Joyner this year or find his replacement AND use our $100 mil in ‘19 to resign and extend other contracts.

nighttrain

Legend
I must be in the minority here. I have never been a big Suh fan. Unless the Rams win it all this year, I'm not thinking this is worth it.

This is either a one shot $14mil rental, or there will definitely not be enough $$ to re-sign Joyner, Saffold, Brown, and Havs next year if Suh is kept for a second year.
Are we Ok with that?

A first or 2nd rounder on a rookie contract who could start and rotate would cost how much for 4-5 years?
Are we ok with that?

It's now or never. I'm gonna have to double my bet on the Rams winning the super bowl before the odds change.
next season Rams have over 100 mil in cap space
train

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Are we Ok with that?

Are we ok with that?

Yes, yes and hell yes.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/26/ndamukong-suh-rams-defensive-line-aaron-donald

Ndamukong Suh a Strong Addition for the Rams’ Star-Powered Defense, But Questions Still Remain
With the addition of Suh, two of the best defensive linemen in the game are lining up next to each other in Los Angeles, but that doesn't automatically make the Rams one of the top defenses in the game. Why?
By ANDY BENOIT

Aaron Donald and Ndamukong Suh playing together on the same defensive line—It’s as scary as it sounds, for reasons both obvious and subtle. The obvious: Donald is the best gap-shooting interior D-lineman in football—a label previously owned by the now-31-year-old Suh.

The subtle: Donald and Suh are both 3-techniques (Warren Sapp’s old position, where the player aligns between the offense’s guard and tackle), but they’re also versatile. Both have thrived at 2-technique (aligned head-up on a guard), at 1-technique (aligned directly over a center’s shoulder) and, especially in Donald’s case, as a sub-package 0-technique (aligned over the center.)

Donald and Suh have also played meaningful snaps at defensive end, and Suh at times roamed around as a joker in Miami. An interesting side note? The man who came up with these numbered-technique labels is Bum Phillips, father of the Rams defensive coordinator Wade Phillips.

This dual versatility will greatly expand and disguise Los Angeles’s designer four-man rush tactics. Offenses will see Donald and Suh in different locations and struggle to track which D-Line stunt, twist or slant is coming. Suh has always been great on the dirty work here, attacking blockers and attracting double teams to create pass rushing lanes for others.

And the longer the play goes, the stronger Suh becomes. (Usually with defensive linemen, the opposite is true.) This season you’ll see Suh attack a blocker while Donald loops behind him to either get the quarterback or make him move back into Suh, who by then will have worn down the blocker.

So that’s the good.

The bad—or, more accurately, the caveat—is that this dynamic defensive tackle duo doesn’t suddenly make Los Angeles a surefire top-10 defense. Two big questions remain. First, with both men being classic first-and second-down 3-techniques, who moves to 1-technique on running downs, and how will that go?

And second, can a defense afford to have TWO linemen who take as many risks as Donald and Suh? When they penetrate and make the play, it’s beautiful. But when they penetrate and don’t make the play, the defense gets gashed.

Even more aggressive are Los Angeles’s cornerbacks. Only one corner plays a riskier brand of coverage than new Ram Aqib Talib, and that’s fellow new Ram Marcus Peters. These are two of the game’s best playmakers, but they also give up many plays. Some defensive coaches would not be comfortable with that at one outside corner spot, let alone both.

With corners like these, it’s imperative a defense’s pass rush gets home and makes a quarterback throw early, because that’s how route-jumpers like Talib and Peters do damage. If that pass rush fails to get home, the route-jumpers can be liabilities. This undoubtedly factored into the Rams shelling out $14 million for Suh.

What’s still missing, though, is a dominant edge rusher. Last year’s top end, Robert Quinn, washed up, so he and his $11.4 million cap number got dealt to Miami. That leaves Matt Longacre and Samson Ebukam as the only true edge rushers; offenses won’t be installing any extra chip-blocking protections for L.A.

The Rams need an edge rusher, but few are available. Free agency has none left, and this year’s rookie edge-rushing crop is light. Perhaps that stoked L.A.’s fervor for Suh. Knowing no outside rusher was out there, the next best play was to become super dominant inside.

Nevertheless, this front seven is still not great on the edges, which is something that’s been said of few top-shelf defenses before.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.theringer.com/2018/3/26/17166048/ndamukong-suh-los-angeles-rams-aaron-donald

Ndamukong Suh Gives the Rams a Terrifying Defense
Los Angeles is stacking strength with strength as the team stocks up for a postseason run
By Danny Heifetz

usa_today_9713906.0.jpg

Robert Hanashiro-USA TODAY Sports

The Deal
Ndamukong Suh has signed a one-year deal with the Rams worth $14 million, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

RIP, Russell Wilson
Only two active defensive tackles have been named first-team All-Pro three times. Now they play together. With Suh and Aaron Donald, the Rams are stacking strength on strength at one position in a way the NFL hasn’t seen since Denver paired DeMarcus Ware with Von Miller in 2014.

Suh is at the tail end of his prime at 31 years old, while Donald is the reigning Defensive Player of the Year and turns 27 in May. Donald’s last three years with the Rams mark one of the most dominant stretches for a defensive lineman since peak J.J. Watt.

Now teams will have the unenviable choice of focusing on blocking Donald, who led the league with 91 total quarterback pressures (sacks, hits, and hurries combined) in 2017, and risk a one-on-one matchup with Suh, who was first-team All-Pro in 2010, 2013, and 2014, or blocking Suh only to let Donald loose.

That’s to say nothing of Michael Brockers, one of the better 3-4 defensive ends in the league who will somehow get even less attention this season from opposing defensive coordinators than he did last year.

The most likely usage of Suh involves Donald lined up as a three-technique (outside of the guard) and Michael Brockers as a five-tech (lined up outside of the tackle)—the same positions they played last year—with Suh lined up at nose tackle over the center, according to ESPN’s Alden Gonzalez. The truth is they could line up on Mars and still combine for 25 sacks.

The downside is that Suh has a history of questionable plays in his NFL career: a kick to Ryan Fitzpatrick’s head in 2015, a late hit on Chad Henne in 2014, the infamous stomping incident against the Packers in 2011, a forearm to the back of Jay Cutler’s head in 2010, a kick to Alfred Morris’s head in 2015, shoving Ryan Mallett in 2017, stepping on Aaron Rodgers’s ankle in 2014, and a kick to Matt Schaub’s crown jewels in 2012. Individually, all of those instances might be excusable, but together, they’re not.

Let’s just say Rams fans may have conflicted feelings about the deal.

*Rams Push All of Their Chips to the Middle of the Table* *Table Collapses*
Rams general manager Les Snead spent most of the last month constructing (on paper) the best secondary in football. The team added cornerbacks Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters in trades, franchise-tagged Lamarcus Joyner, and signed cornerback Sam Shields and Nickell Robey-Coleman. (Yes, Nickell plays the nickel.)

That fearsome secondary would already be intimidating behind the Rams’ 2017 defensive line, which had the fourth-most sacks last season (48). Robey-Coleman already offered a name for the group last week.

View: https://twitter.com/slotgod23/status/976280381631549441?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theringer.com%2F2018%2F3%2F26%2F17166048%2Fndamukong-suh-los-angeles-rams-aaron-donald

Now the Rams have added Suh, creating the most chaotic, disruptive interior in football, and have built their secondary with ball hawks ready to swoop in on every lame duck throw from opposing quarterbacks.

The Rams still have a big hole at inside linebacker after trading Alec Ogletree, but defensive coordinator Wade Phillips has more than enough talent to get this unit into Super Bowl–caliber shape. For all of the talk about Sean McVay as an offensive guru, the best unit on his own team this year may be the defense. To quote Phillips:

View: https://twitter.com/sonofbum/status/978399846016073728?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theringer.com%2F2018%2F3%2F26%2F17166048%2Fndamukong-suh-los-angeles-rams-aaron-donald

Aaron Donald Is Going to Get Paaaaaiiiiiiiddddddd
The Rams ran the possibility of adding Suh by Donald before the signing, according to Gonzalez. Suh was reportedly offered more money by the Jets, who rescinded their offer on Sunday, and was also courted by the Titans and Saints before deciding to sign with the Rams.

The one-year deal signals Suh is willing to play for a competitive team in a dream situation while also betting on himself to earn more money in the future. It also mirrors the one-year deals signed by Sheldon Richardson, Haloti Ngata, Dominique Easley, and Muhammad Wilkerson, signaling a decline in the defensive tackle market.

Donald will fix that. Due to earn just $1.8 million in 2017, Aaron Donald held out of training camp hoping to get a new contract and returned so late he didn’t play in Week 1. It didn’t matter. He was a wrecking ball for 14 games. The Rams still have Donald on a $6.9 million fifth-year option from his rookie contract this season, which is both a raise and not even close to the value he provides the team.

Los Angeles will likely make him the highest-paid defender in football history at some point this year. If the Rams had paid exorbitantly for Suh, the team would have been in a tight situation negotiating with Donald, but the one-year deal at just $14 million sets the market for defensive tackles in the Rams’ favor. Now the Rams are in position to make Donald happy without overexerting their cap down the line.

Lock Angeles is now legit, and it’s going to be a joy for all of us. (Well, unless you root for another team in the NFC West.)

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
So LB with first pick in the draft?

That's a LB friendly DL right there!

But it's still a 3-4 so yeah we still should draft Raseed (ILB, Alabama), because it would solidify the second level regardless of the who the other 3 end up being.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

Are we Ok with that?

Are we ok with that?

I'm tired of this "now or never" bullcrap - it's a 1-year deal!

we are still one of the youngest teams in the NFL

You have a problem with swapping Suh for Watkins after Watkins left for KC? Plus i don't get it - the one year with watkins we won our division for the first time in a decade plus and went to the playoffs

Geeesh

Ram65

Legend
Just enjoyed the entire thread. Great news even at one year. Was hoping for more.

Donald Suh and Brockers
The Ramuda Triangle
Where Quarterback Disappear!

Rams still need to draft Evans or Landry. Evans can blitz from middle or edge while Landry is a good edge pass rusher. I want to see the defense buttoned up with the new Elephant. No mercy defense.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
next season Rams have over 100 mil in cap space
train

People keep citing this - but this figure does not include Donald, who does not have a contract for next year. Does not include Gurley, who has yet to be tendered his 5th year contract. Does not include Joyner. Does not include 3 starters on the OL. Plus various other players around the team.

Just Donald, Gurley, and Joyner would likely add up to $40 million or so. How much will it cost to sign two guards and a right tackle?

The Rams may have some cap space next year, but nowhere close to the $100 million figure being cited.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
People keep citing this - but this figure does not include Donald, who does not have a contract for next year. Does not include Gurley, who has yet to be tendered his 5th year contract. Does not include Joyner. Does not include 3 starters on the OL. Plus various other players around the team.

Just Donald, Gurley, and Joyner would likely add up to $40 million or so. How much will it cost to sign two guards and a right tackle?

The Rams may have some cap space next year, but nowhere close to the $100 million figure being cited.

This is the off-season. There is no reason to bring up reality.

We win the off-season. To hell with reality!

I mean what could possibly go wrong?!?

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I'm tired of this "now or never" bullcrap - it's a 1-year deal!

we are still one of the youngest teams in the NFL

You have a problem with swapping Suh for Watkins after Watkins left for KC? Plus i don't get it - the one year with watkins we won our division for the first time in a decade plus and went to the

I asked a few questions. Why are you so upset?
Not getting your take on Watkins either. He led the team in TDs and helped turn around the league's worst offense. He had value. Like you said, the Rams win the division. He helped with that, right?