Suh signs one year deal with the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jacktheripper85

Starter
That reddit thread should be required reading for all Rams fans :LOL:

This was a clever one someone coined for the defense::

“Violence of the Lambs”

I also liked this one from a Cards fan:

“Where’s Jeff Fisher when you need him”

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Personally, I couldn't see Suh doing multiple years at a substandard salary for him. It was always going to be a one year deal. That means the Horns have to draft his replacement for 2019 and get him integrated into the defensive philosophy so there will be a seamless continuation in 2019.

I figured a one year, because Suh is going to want to be a free agent at the beginning of free agency, when budgets are fully available, not like now when he's been released and a lot of teams have already spent their budget.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Well thats another $500 worth of therapy....

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
This is the off-season. There is no reason to bring up reality.

We win the off-season. To hell with reality!

I mean what could possibly go wrong?!?

A perfect encapsulation of what it means to be a Kool-Aid drinking Rams homer. A club of which I'm a proud member. Well done sir. :bow:

That was my favorite read of the offseason so far.

I won't go to any site that orders me to take off my ad-blocker. :mad:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ndamukong-suh-signs-with-the-los-angeles-rams

Ndamukong Suh's signing with the Rams may be the most important move of the offseason
BY GORDON MCGUINNESS

USATSI_10457502-copy.jpg

Credit: Steve Mitchell-USA TODAY Sports

March is almost over but it’s possible that the Los Angeles Rams signing of Ndamukong Suh on Monday evening will go down as the most important move of the offseason. After turning the Rams into a playoff contender in 2017, head coach Sean McVay has seen his defense transformed during an aggressive offseason to date. After adding cornerbacks Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters, the signing of Suh up front indicates that the Rams expect to be among the top teams in the NFL in 2018.

Ndamukong-Suh-Signing-.png

On the surface, the move will strike fear into opposing offenses, particularly in the NFC West, but what does the move mean for Suh, star defender Aaron Donald and the rest of the Rams defense in 2018?

HEADLINE DOMINANCE
The raw numbers in 2017 suggest that this is a move that will allow the Rams’ defense to wreak havoc this season. Suh racked up five sacks, eight hits and 30 hurries over the course of the season, ranking 13th among players on the defensive interior in terms of total pressures. Those numbers are impressive, but they pale in comparison to Donald, who has solidified his position as the premier defensive player in the NFL, racking up 91 total pressures in the 2017 regular season.

The new duo’s dominance goes beyond just 2017 too, with both Suh and Donald ranking in the top 10 in total pressures on the defensive interior in each of the past four seasons. In terms of PFF grade, Donald has produced grades of 99.3, 98.5 and 99.7. That’s a three-year run that eclipses even what J.J. Watt did between 2012 and 2015. While not quite up there with Donald, Suh has still produced grades of 92.5, 89.3 and 91.0 over the past three seasons.

What is incredible, is that a player of Suh’s level will be considered the complementary part of this duo, and the fact that defenses will likely have to focus on Donald, should free him up to put up some impressive numbers before he hits free agency again in 2019.

Donald-Suh-QB-Pressures-1024x576.jpg

HOW THEY COULD BE USED
After the initial reaction for what this means for opposing quarterbacks and offenses around the NFL, the next interesting discussion point is how the Rams will use both of them. When you look at how they were both utilized in 2017, you see that both Suh and Donald saw a significant number of snaps at 3-tech.

The 3-tech is the most fashionable position on the defensive interior, lining up on the outside shoulder of the guard and generally being the position people think of when they think of disruption, both in the passing game and the running game.

While Donald and Suh saw 505 and 442 snaps at 3-tech respectively, the biggest difference in 2017 was that Suh saw significantly more snaps between 1-tech and 2-tech. While Donald saw just 38 snaps lined up in those spots, Suh saw 229. At 2-tech, a player will line up over the guard, and at 1-tech he will be lined up inside, so the fact that Suh has experience playing at these spots will allow the Rams to use both of them at the same time.

What will be interesting to see is how the move impacts Michael Brockers. He saw 150 snaps at 1-tech, 162 at 2-tech, 90 at 3-tech and 226 at 4-tech. With the Rams giving Donald 788 snaps and Brockers 727 including the playoffs in 2017, and with Suh seeing 877 with the Miami Dolphins, it’s likely that Brockers will see a reduction in snaps in 2018. That being said, with three talented players, this move will allow the Rams the opportunity to rotate more, keeping the trio fresher late in games.

View: https://twitter.com/PFF_Gordon/status/978598046371020800?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.profootballfocus.com%2Fnews%2Fpro-ndamukong-suh-signs-with-the-los-angeles-rams

WHAT IT MEANS FOR THE NFC WEST
With this addition to the Rams’ defensive front, the San Francisco 49ersdecision to add Weston Richburg to their offensive line this offseason looks even better. Richburg has exceled in pass protection, allowing just two sacks, one hit and eight hurries in 2016, his last full season at center.

That will be key with question marks at guard as Laken Tomlinson allowed 39 total pressures in 2017, Joshua Garnett struggled as a rookie and missed all of 2017, and new signing Jonathan Cooper has graded at 67.0 or lower in three of the four seasons in the NFL when he has seen the field.

The Arizona Cardinals added offensive lineman Justin Pugh, but the question remains whether or not he’ll play tackle or guard in 2018. Elsewhere on the Cardinals line, Mike Iupati saw just 70 snaps before injury ended his season, a year after allowing 32 total pressures. At center, A.Q. Shipley is coming off the lowest graded season of his career at 45.8, struggling as a run-blocker and allowing 18 total pressures including five sacks.

Offensive line has long been the biggest issue for the Seattle Seahawks, and this signing by the Rams brings that even more into focus. With big issues on the offensive interior, with new signing D.J. Fluker producing grades of 50.2 or lower over the past three seasons, they will be looking for Justin Britt to get back to the form that saw him grade at 79.9 in 2016, and second-year man Ethan Pocic to kick on in his sophomore season in the NFL.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Aints in denial mode:

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2018/03/ndamukong_suh_chose_cash_rathe.html

"Payton jumped in and gave maybe one of the most honest answers of the entire NFL coaches breakfast"
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Oh do tell.

A bit of a whiner. "Oh, the Rams have more cash, but we have more cachet"

Yes, Suh did want to get paid, though he could have gotten paid more. But I'd think the Rams have more non-money things to appeal to Suh. A rising team, with the same record as the Saints who the Rams beat head to head. Reigning coach of the year. Highly respected defensive coordinator. Oh, and did I mention that Suh will be playing next to the reigning defensive player of the year, meaning for the first time in his career he will not be the focus of the other team's game planning?

Kevin

Pro Bowler
A bit of a whiner. "Oh, the Rams have more cash, but we have more cachet"

Suh was offered more money by the Jets but he chose to earn less and play for the Rams. Maybe New Orleans appeals to spring breakers and Mardi Gra celebrators, and Peyton thinks that is cachet, but outside of Bourbon Street, my understanding is that New Orleans is a dumpy place with high violent crime rates. Sour grapes Sean!

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Suh was offered more money by the Jets but he chose to earn less and play for the Rams. Maybe New Orleans appeals to spring breakers and Mardi Gra celebrators, and Peyton thinks that is cachet, but outside of Bourbon Street, my understanding is that New Orleans is a dumpy place with high violent crime rates. Sour grapes Sean!

I've lived in New Orleans. Great food. Great music. There are negatives of course. But then there are negatives for everywhere, including Los Angeles. For instance, he could live in a luxury gated community far cheaper than in LA, and likely within 15 minutes commute to the Saints' training facility, while paying lower taxes. And there is far more to New Orleans than Bourbon Street, without having to spend long periods of time getting to them.

jap

Legend
I figured a one year, because Suh is going to want to be a free agent at the beginning of free agency, when budgets are fully available, not like now when he's been released and a lot of teams have already spent their budget.

Exactly! That's why I feel the Horns need to get his replacement in this draft and get him prepped to take over starting duties in 2019. I suppose they can grab a rookie DT in the 2019 draft, but that would be an awful lot of pressure to place on a rookie DT . . . asking him to replace Suh without a full NFL off-season to raise his physical development.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I must be in the minority here. I have never been a big Suh fan. Unless the Rams win it all this year, I'm not thinking this is worth it.

$14 mil. We basically swapped out Watkins for Suh. Are we ok with that?

This is either a one shot $14mil rental, or there will definitely not be enough $$ to re-sign Joyner, Saffold, Brown, and Havs next year if Suh is kept for a second year.
Are we Ok with that?

A first or 2nd rounder on a rookie contract who could start and rotate would cost how much for 4-5 years?
...but we're shelling out $14mil for ONE season?
Are we ok with that?

It's now or never. I'm gonna have to double my bet on the Rams winning the super bowl before the odds change.
There is a big issue with our D-lines & O-lines in our near future in Free Agency 2019. The Rams below are pending FA's:

Ndamukong Suh
Rodger Saffold
LG
Aaron Donald
Dominique Easley
Ethan Westbrooks
Rob Havenstein RT
Jamon Brown RG
Morgan Fox
Aaron Neary LG
Michael Dunn RT

So I share your concerns. I had hoped the Rams would have looked into signing extensions on one or two of those starting OL'ers. As we see starting healthy OL'ers are getting some serious contracts $$$$ At this point in time the Rams have little to nothing in OL talent in reserve.