Stan Kroenke appreciation thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I would say that a SK appreciation thread provokes peoples opinions on a forum where discussion and disagreement is typical.
To expect a united front of support for a person who has been involved in the relocation of the team two times, the last time only a couple years ago, might be asking too much.
I say he gets my money and thats all he wants from us fans anyways. If he cared what I thought of him, we wouldn't be where we are now.
He is the owner of the Rams. There is absolutely nothing wrong with showing appreciation.

I know this is a sore subject for you Badnews and I can appreciate that also. However. Stan did try to build a winner in STL in his short time there. He could gave kept Spags. He could have fired him and gotten an even worse coach. He didnt. The Rams went after the hottest HC on the market in Fisher. Stan also agreed to make his entire coaching staff one of the highest paid in the league. An owner doesn't do that if he is intentionally trying to tank. They certainly dont do it if it is only a dollar and cents issue either. They do that if they want to win games.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Read all of them before posting what I said. Apparently you haven’t. Point to the facts as you see them. They are not there. Hell, the one where you say it was discussed at the owners meeting doesn’t even mention the supposed “greenmail”. I’m on my phone right now so maybe I missed it. Care to quote it?

And what you consider a smug attitude is me being tired of some bringing up the rumor with literally nothing to substantiate it beyond one reporter with vague statements and one unnamed source.
I found what I'm assuming is the "original" article (https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/stories/2010/04/19/daily5.html) for the greenmail. Everything else in it seems out of touch with what really happened. Specifically it states that the sources thought it was almost certain Kroenke's bid would get shot down due to cross ownership rules and that moving the other franchises under his kids names' wouldn't work. Both those guesses turned out wrong.

The first article in the Google search says that many people the author talked to said that greenmail type activities weren't Kroenke's business style. Another article by a much smaller news outlet (I believe) said he does that stuff all the time. Although, it is odd that Kroenke and Kahn met about this 3 times when I don't think there's much for them to discuss unless there was funny business going on. Certainly nothing definite though, in my opinion.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I found what I'm assuming is the "original" article (https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/stories/2010/04/19/daily5.html) for the greenmail. Everything else in it seems out of touch with what really happened. Specifically it states that the sources thought it was almost certain Kroenke's bid would get shot down due to cross ownership rules and that moving the other franchises under his kids names' wouldn't work. Both those guesses turned out wrong.

The first article in the Google search says that many people the author talked to said that greenmail type activities weren't Kroenke's business style. Another article by a much smaller news outlet (I believe) said he does that stuff all the time. Although, it is odd that Kroenke and Kahn met about this 3 times when I don't think there's much for them to discuss unless there was funny business going on. Certainly nothing definite though, in my opinion.
The problem I have with this is that not only were the meetings between SK and Kahn confidential, but we are supposed to believe someone present during these meetings gave up this information knowing he would be fired for doing so. THEN.... the informant “source” doesn’t give specific information at all - “somewhere in the mid to high 8 figures”. Can you really imagine a negotiation between these two billionaires and that is what they say? This same supposed source is way off the mark on his other guesses as well.

Bottom line - what I think is that a St Louis “journalist” came up with a bunch of scenarios he could see playing out and then went about playing out his theory. The mid to high 8 figures part is simple but stupid. That figure was in line with the amount SK paid for his part of the team - or so went the theory. So he is going to settle for that same amount 15 years later to just walk away?

I always am skeptical of reporters using “unnamed sources” as many times the story is baseless.

Why would he need some unnamed source for the other bs in the article? To make it sound like he had a source of course.

See the thing is that I’m not really even saying that this kind of offer couldn’t have been made. I doubt it did and viewed it then and now as just crap being thrown around because of all the blind love for Kahn at the time because he SAID he would keep the team in the Lou.

At the time, there were all kinds of theories, rumors, hit pieces, misinformation campaigns, etc... going around.

The information from this “source” is just too vague for it to be from someone with direct knowledge. “Mid to high eight figures” and then the source didn’t know if that was for SK’s interest in the team or if he would stay on as minority owner? - come on. Does that really sound like information from someone really “in the know”?

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
The problem I have with this is that not only were the meetings between SK and Kahn confidential, but we are supposed to believe someone present during these meetings gave up this information knowing he would be fired for doing so. THEN.... the informant “source” doesn’t give specific information at all - “somewhere in the mid to high 8 figures”. Can you really imagine a negotiation between these two billionaires and that is what they say? This same supposed source is way off the mark on his other guesses as well.

Bottom line - what I think is that a St Louis “journalist” came up with a bunch of scenarios he could see playing out and then went about playing out his theory. The mid to high 8 figures part is simple but stupid. That figure was in line with the amount SK paid for his part of the team - or so went the theory. So he is going to settle for that same amount 15 years later to just walk away?

I always am skeptical of reporters using “unnamed sources” as many times the story is baseless.

Why would he need some unnamed source for the other bs in the article? To make it sound like he had a source of course.

See the thing is that I’m not really even saying that this kind of offer couldn’t have been made. I doubt it did and viewed it then and now as just crap being thrown around because of all the blind love for Kahn at the time because he SAID he would keep the team in the Lou.

At the time, there were all kinds of theories, rumors, hit pieces, misinformation campaigns, etc... going around.

The information from this “source” is just too vague for it to be from someone with direct knowledge. “Mid to high eight figures” and then the source didn’t know if that was for SK’s interest in the team or if he would stay on as minority owner? - come on. Does that really sound like information from someone really “in the know”?
Yup

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
He is the owner of the Rams. There is absolutely nothing wrong with showing appreciation.

I know this is a sore subject for you Badnews and I can appreciate that also. However. Stan did try to build a winner in STL in his short time there. He could gave kept Spags. He could have fired him and gotten an even worse coach. He didnt. The Rams went after the hottest HC on the market in Fisher. Stan also agreed to make his entire coaching staff one of the highest paid in the league. An owner doesn't do that if he is intentionally trying to tank. They certainly dont do it if it is only a dollar and cents issue either. They do that if they want to win games.

I dont think he was trying to tank.

I think he tasked Fisher to build the Rams into a professional football team again.
There was no pressure to win now. It was build it up the right way, take the necessary time to create a deep and talented roster to pair with a great cap situation, ensuring that when the team came back to LA they would be primed to compete.
Jeff Fisher was the biggest fish in a small pond of HCs available. Everybody knew Fishers offenses would always struggle and he would always be mediocre. But he did have a few skills that made him perfect for what ESK wanted.
Fisher knew how to build a good locker room, had access to quality D and STs coordinators and could bring some stability during a process that he was uniquely familiar with.
Kroenke has been willing to pay for a good staff all along yet our weakness, the offense, so boring and ineffective for so long, couldn't even over pay for a qualified O.C. and some quality assistants?
OL Coach Paul Beaudreau was the most high profile offensive assistant Fisher had, and he apparently forgot how to coach on his flight to St. Louis and never remembered.
Im not saying ESK planned for our offense to be poorly coached, Im just sure he just understood what hiring Jeff Fisher would most likely mean for the O. Its hard to imagine Demoff, Snead and Stan discussing what the team needed most and that none of them recognized our ineffective schemes and noob coaching on offense was the biggest thing holding us back behind the 7-9 line.

Thats just how it seemed to me back then... build a team, not excitement, because its a lot less messy to move a team with a jaded, disinterested fanbase.

All that said, if that was the idea, I am glad he did it and I applaud his willingness to play the long game. The proofs in the pudding, so they say, and this pudding is tasting really good. Mmm...pudding.
(Should you ever find me passed out with my pants down and pudding on my face? Call the cops on Bill Cosby for me and let me sleep it off....)

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

I agree and have no problem with fans showing appreciation.
My original comment was more about why I personally dont feel like celebrating Stan Kroenke and how the suggestion that all of us should march in step in that celebration is not necessary, not in keeping with how discussion boards work, not a rule at R.O.D. and quite frankly Un-American haha.

Again, I am a die hard fan, the Rams were my team long before they moved to StL in the first place, the present and future of our team is very exciting and Kroenke is doing a great job.
But the past happened, it happened not very long ago and its simply unrealistic and unecessary to demand that some fans "get over it" when there is no drama or dissent being caused by those fans, some simply felt like offering their personal p.o.v., which to no fault of their own, wasn't as peachy for them as everyone else.

Georgia was the owner who hired the guys who brought us a SB and got us back. Being the owner never made her untouchable to criticism, and it shouldnt have.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I agree and have no problem with fans showing appreciation.
My original comment was more about why I personally dont feel like celebrating Stan Kroenke and how the suggestion that all of us should march in step in that celebration is not necessary, not in keeping with how discussion boards work, not a rule at R.O.D. and quite frankly Un-American haha.

Again, I am a die hard fan, the Rams were my team long before they moved to StL in the first place, the present and future of our team is very exciting and Kroenke is doing a great job.
But the past happened, it happened not very long ago and its simply unrealistic and unecessary to demand that some fans "get over it" when there is no drama or dissent being caused by those fans, some simply felt like offering their personal p.o.v., which to no fault of their own, wasn't as peachy for them as everyone else.

Georgia was the owner who hired the guys who brought us a SB and got us back. Being the owner never made her untouchable to criticism, and it shouldnt have.
I completely understand brother. :cheers:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
National revenue last year was about 222MIL per team. The cap was 167MIL. Then add in game day revenues like ticket sales and luxury suites along with concessions, parking, merchandise and in stadium advertising and it's probably about what I said. Some teams make more, some make less but it's a decent benchmark.

You do realize the salary cap is far from the only expense for an NFL team right? What did that report about the packers a few weeks back say? $450 some million in revenue and $420 million in expense I think it was. Yes a nice profit but far from the $100 million pipe dream.

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
Correct.........he was involved in two other attempts.

Imagine if the NFL had the Boston area wide open for owners to leverage in stadium negotiations rather than LA. Fewer ginormous deals would have been done IMO

National revenue last year was about 222MIL per team. The cap was 167MIL. Then add in game day revenues like ticket sales and luxury suites along with concessions, parking, merchandise and in stadium advertising and it's probably about what I said. Some teams make more, some make less but it's a decent benchmark.

Khan could have bought the 66% of the stock in the Rams and been majority owner if he had been willing to pay the "greenmail" price SK put out there for giving up his first right of refusal. SK was willing to walk away from total ownership for a big check. Khan balked though if you recall and ended up buying the Jags. And for a great deal at just 760MIL lol.

If we list the people brought in after GF passed away it will be less than impressive. He bought the team outright in 2010.

Until Snead came in, the Rams got the deal made for Goff (Snead), and McVay came to the Rams in large part because of Goff, the track record isn't much to brag about on any front. W-L record, player signings, coahes, front office and so on down the list.

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
Lot of people on this thread showing they were ram fans beginning in the Lou. Old school la fans remember. We’ve seen both sides of the coin.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I don't like Kroenke, but I didn't like Georgia or her posse either. I respect Kroenke for spending money for the team and not meddling, but that's it.

I think of good owners, I think of the DeWitt family for the St. Louis Cardinals. They're people who know their stuff about the sport, spend money, hire good people, spend their hard-earned money to make the St. Louis area Baseball Mecca.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I don't like Kroenke, but I didn't like Georgia or her posse either. I respect Kroenke for spending money for the team and not meddling, but that's it.

I think of good owners, I think of the DeWitt family for the St. Louis Cardinals. They're people who know their stuff about the sport, spend money, hire good people, spend their hard-earned money to make the St. Louis area Baseball Mecca.
Don’t intend this as a complaint, but not sure the DeWitts are spending so much. They’re a high revenue team relying for the most part on their excellent farm system. And St Louis has been a baseball mecca for way over 100 years.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.

A lot of unknown sources in this ESPN article...

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
This isn't good from a business aspect. Last thing we need is to piss off all the other owners.

Psycho_X

Legend
This isn't good from a business aspect. Last thing we need is to piss off all the other owners.
Wouldn't be the first time, he pissed a lot of owners off when he helped force the Rams to St. Louis in the first place. I don't think he cares really.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The one thing I can agree with is that the trial should be moved out of St. Louis.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get it from his perspective, he agrees to the legal fees part then finds out that one of the people he's covering for basically gave the city the ammo to go after him so hard. Spanos and his supporters in the ownership group should be on the hook. And yes out of St Louis is the only logical answer.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Lot of people on this thread showing they were ram fans beginning in the Lou. Old school la fans remember. We’ve seen both sides of the coin.
You might say that we've seen all three sides of the coin!

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Seems like it all has a long way to go. However, it seems the NFL owners are squirming. Interesting.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Un-named source.........

Most good journalists worth their salt do not run stories without naming a source.

Just a bunch of words without an ounce of credibility.