Stafford concerns have come full circle after the Vikings game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
Yes, a turd. One of the worst. That's what my eyes told me. PFF, for what it's worth, concluded the same. They ranked us #31 in the NFL.

That's why I've always said that Goff's 2019 season was vastly underrated. He stunk in 2020. But in 2019, he carried an offense with a bad OL and a terrible running game. The OL gelled and played solid football over the final five or so games. Before that, it was an absolute mess. Noteboom was terrible at LG and then got hurt. Allen was atrocious at C. Havenstein played through injuries and was largely ineffective. And Blythe was absolutely awful at RG. Whitworth was the lone guy playing at a high level at his original position that year.

However, we made a trade for Austin Corbett midway through the season. He slotted in at RG and allowed Blythe to slide to Center. Havenstein went on IR and was replaced by Bobby Evans. And David Edwards replaced Noteboom. It took some time for that OL to gel. We got worked by Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Baltimore. But they finally got their shit together for the final five games and played well. Unsurprisingly, the offense roared back to life, averaging 29 PPG during that stretch.
I didn't go into as much detail but I was trying to say pretty much the same thing in my write-up

Thanks for going into more detail.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
yeah but warner always turned the ball over a lot... its just a lot more scrutinized now.
Not really by my recollection but also throw in that Warner was beating previous QB yardage and TD leaders by a good margin and there were what 2 40 TD seasons before his 1999? We should have 2 this year and had 3 last year with another few close to it. My point is while yes Warner threw a lot of TD's he also was doing a lot of stat things other QB's didn't do. I think everybody's biggest issue with Staffords interceptions is on some plays they're horrendous decisions with viable options open like the deep int yesterday. Add to that there was such a big focus around here last year on his predecessor and his turnovers costing us games that I'm not sure why it's such an issue for some to scrutinize QB's turnovers. Especially when they're potentially game changing/losing mistakes. Those pick 6 or terrible decisions are what people are scrutinizing and I think it's fair and fair to all QB's.

Ellard80

Legend
Not really by my recollection but also throw in that Warner was beating previous QB yardage and TD leaders by a good margin and there were what 2 40 TD seasons before his 1999? We should have 2 this year and had 3 last year with another few close to it. My point is while yes Warner threw a lot of TD's he also was doing a lot of stat things other QB's didn't do. I think everybody's biggest issue with Staffords interceptions is on some plays they're horrendous decisions with viable options open like the deep int yesterday. Add to that there was such a big focus around here last year on his predecessor and his turnovers costing us games that I'm not sure why it's such an issue for some to scrutinize QB's turnovers. Especially when they're potentially game changing/losing mistakes. Those pick 6 or terrible decisions are what people are scrutinizing and I think it's fair and fair to all QB's.
of course its fair to scrutinize turnovers... just saying we won a lot int he past with QBs that turned the ball over.

I think Brady has one like 7 or 8 playoff games with 2-3 ints.

I don't want Stafford turning it over but I also don't want him to play conservative.

Thats the way Warner was - he was aggressive.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Its interesting how we scrutinize interceptions much more than we used to.

I'm not saying its good or bad.. but statically Stafford is having a better year than Warner did in 2001 when he won the MVP and threw 22ints.

Let's just rip the band aid off. There are 2 concurrent threads right now that are doing this. Its obvious that there is still a varying degree of saltiness from the trade.

Ellard80

Legend
Let's just rip the band aid off. There are 2 concurrent threads right now that are doing this. Its obvious that there is still a varying degree of saltiness from the trade.
yeah i try not to mention a recent/previous quarterback - ive fallen into that trap once.

But yeah it's not like the room can't be read in that regard.

Angry Ram

yeah i try not to mention a recent/previous quarterback - ive fallen into that trap once.

But yeah it's not like the room can't be read in that regard.

Damn right. Keith Nulls name shall never be mentioned!

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I'm not saying its good or bad.. but statically Stafford is having a better year than Warner did in 2001 when he won the MVP and threw 22ints.
We do. QBs throw fewer ints and a much higher completion percentage these days than back then across the league.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Uhhh...no.

Our run game was better last year. Akers, at this juncture, was starting to tear it up. I like Sony, but he's not Cam. We had a top 10 run game all year.

Also, the OL is very similar to what it was last year. Very good most games, at times got dominated (Titans this year comes to mind).

PFF has them similarly rated. Time to throw is comparable. Stafford is better at navigating the pocket and buying time though.
I would build on that.. I believe having an offense that can do so much more means defenses have to play things differently than last year.. and that helps the oline as well.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
he absolutely is a gunslinger.. brett Farve type.

at least half of his interceptions have been trying to throw the ball deep or refusing to give up on a play... refusing to give up on a play has also resulted in many 3rd down conversions.
Thanks.

I can see where you're coming from and how that fits... and, certainly, at his best moments, he takes his shot on passes others won't.

The ints that have bothered me the most, the pick-6s, specifically, haven't been that kind of throw. Now, we have new information about yesterday, so I need to take that into account, but the throws seem to me to be just bad reads and bad decisions and bad throws. Let's hope that yesterday's was, in fact, a miscommunication. Hopefully they get that worked out.

Ellard80

Legend
Thanks.

I can see where you're coming from and how that fits... and, certainly, at his best moments, he takes his shot on passes others won't.

The ints that have bothered me the most, the pick-6s, specifically, haven't been that kind of throw. Now, we have new information about yesterday, so I need to take that into account, but the throws seem to me to be just bad reads and bad decisions and bad throws. Let's hope that yesterday's was, in fact, a miscommunication. Hopefully they get that worked out.
he does make some bad decisions at times for sure... and id like him him not to.

I also don't want him to be too safe or conservative.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Its interesting how we scrutinize interceptions much more than we used to.

Really? However, I will say that I don't seem to recall explaining so many int's away as we do now.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Matt was 14 for 14 in the second half yesterday and had a game winning drive and TD pass completing two 4th down passing plays on that drive. The Rams are 12 and 4 and just won two back to back road games to clinch a playoff spot and have won 5 straight. Who would the anti Stafford folks replace him with?.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Matt was 14 for 14 in the second half yesterday and had a game winning drive and TD pass completing two 4th down passing plays on that drive. The Rams are 12 and 4 and just won two back to back road games to clinch a playoff spot and have won 5 straight. Who would the anti Stafford folks replace him with?.

Are there people on here suggesting we replace Stafford?

I am unaware.

Angry Ram

Funny how little MS praise topics there are. Or have been all year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Goff. :laugh4: