Stafford concerns have come full circle after the Vikings game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
2020 OL was good.
The 2019 OL was a turd. It was one of the worst in the NFL.
Rams' Offense was 7th in total yards ... 11th scoring ... 4th passing ... 26th rushing ... fewest sacks allowed.

Definitely a disappointment, especially after 2017 and 2018. But a 'turd' and 'one of the worst' ... ?????

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
He had 3 very preventable TO's today that all resulted in points or lack of points.

If not for a solid effort on D (Stafford essentially scored the Ravens only TD)... against a somewhat challenged offense, there would not have been any late game heroics.

We were fortunate this wasn't a playoff game against a good offense....and the fact that the Raven secondary is still sub par since losing both starting CBs.
I think the pick six had a lot to do with the play call. You had 2 receivers running the same route on the same plane 5 yards away from each other. When Stafford goes into his throwing motion the CB on the outside breaks his coverage and makes an easy pick six. To me the play is asking for an interception. The other three he has thrown were horrible, all on him and he needs to fix that, but this one is also on the coach. Or on the receivers for running the route to close to each other, who knows.

Ellard80

Legend
May I ask you a question Merlin (or Grand Wizard..whatever you prefer)? Why does a supposed Genius like McVay go into empty sets in the red zone on 1st and 10? Why are we giving them that edge of knowing its a pass? I am starting to think that McVay is trying to pad Staffords stats wherever he can and is risking turnovers for no good reason. Do you agree?
the game winning TD was in empty set.

Ellard80

Legend
Non-sarcastic question..
What does "gunslinger" mean to you?

So you know that I'm not trying to play some kind of word game trap... I think it's a QB who has the confidence to take shots in high-risk, high reward situations.
Stafford's ints are not that, this season, from what I've seen. He's much more hot and cold and when he's cold can make some hard to believe bad decisions.
When he's hot, he does stuff like he did against Az last time and it's beautiful.

That's not what I call a "gunslinger".. that's just inconsistent, to me.
he absolutely is a gunslinger.. brett Farve type.

at least half of his interceptions have been trying to throw the ball deep or refusing to give up on a play... refusing to give up on a play has also resulted in many 3rd down conversions.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Rams' Offense was 7th in total yards ... 11th scoring ... 4th passing ... 26th rushing ... fewest sacks allowed.

Definitely a disappointment, especially after 2017 and 2018. But a 'turd' and 'one of the worst' ... ?????
They played two rookies (Evans, Edwards) and four first yr starters (Noteboom, Allen, Corbit, Demby) for significant stretches that yr. They were a mess. Lack of sacks was play calling and a QB who threw the ball away.

And the RB was cooked and Cooks missed significant time with a concussion.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
They played two rookies (Evans, Edwards) and four first yr starters (Noteboom, Allen, Corbit, Demby) for significant stretches that yr. They were a mess. Lack of sacks was play calling and a QB who threw the ball away.

And the RB was cooked and Cooks missed significant tine with a concussion.
Again, I agree with most of the comments.

Still don't think the Rams' O-Line was 'one of the worst' in 2019.

If I go back to my Vaudeville-days ... some of these guys would be referred to as "A Tough Crowd"

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I think the pick six had a lot to do with the play call. You had 2 receivers running the same route on the same plane 5 yards away from each other. When Stafford goes into his throwing motion the CB on the outside breaks his coverage and makes an easy pick six. To me the play is asking for an interception.
McVay mentioned that the "two-receiver" ran the wrong route.

I am guessing that was Beckham. If he takes the route up field, the defender (Clark) that's right in front of OBJ probably goes up-field with him and is not in position to make the interception.

It was a quick read-and-throw but Stafford should have read it better.

Ellard80

Legend
Its interesting how we scrutinize interceptions much more than we used to.

I'm not saying its good or bad.. but statically Stafford is having a better year than Warner did in 2001 when he won the MVP and threw 22ints.

Tano

Legend
Again, I agree with most of the comments.

Still don't think the Rams' O-Line was 'one of the worst' in 2019.

If I go back to my Vaudeville-days ... some of these guys would be referred to as "A Tough Crowd"
Well yeah this board is definitely a tough crowd lol

But please read my write up that at least 5 of those games had a crappy o-line

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
McVay mentioned that the "two-receiver" ran the wrong route.

I am guessing that was Beckham. If he takes the route up field, the defender (Clark) that's right in front of OBJ probably goes up-field with him and is not in position to make the interception.

It was a quick read-and-throw but Stafford should have read it better.
that makes sense. Cause the routes that were run sure didn't. Yes Stafford probably should see the routes are wrong so throw it elsewhere or away.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yes, a turd. One of the worst. That's what my eyes told me. PFF, for what it's worth, concluded the same. They ranked us #31 in the NFL.

That's why I've always said that Goff's 2019 season was vastly underrated. He stunk in 2020. But in 2019, he carried an offense with a bad OL and a terrible running game. The OL gelled and played solid football over the final five or so games. Before that, it was an absolute mess. Noteboom was terrible at LG and then got hurt. Allen was atrocious at C. Havenstein played through injuries and was largely ineffective. And Blythe was absolutely awful at RG. Whitworth was the lone guy playing at a high level at his original position that year.

However, we made a trade for Austin Corbett midway through the season. He slotted in at RG and allowed Blythe to slide to Center. Havenstein went on IR and was replaced by Bobby Evans. And David Edwards replaced Noteboom. It took some time for that OL to gel. We got worked by Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Baltimore. But they finally got their shit together for the final five games and played well. Unsurprisingly, the offense roared back to life, averaging 29 PPG during that stretch.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Its interesting how we scrutinize interceptions much more than we used to.

I'm not saying its good or bad.. but statically Stafford is having a better year than Warner did in 2001 when he won the MVP and threw 22ints.
Statistically Warner 2001 stat year is much more common now.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we can both agree our oline is better and the addition of Michel has been a huge factor in our offense. We had one of the worst olines those 2 seasons.

Uhhh...no.

Our run game was better last year. Akers, at this juncture, was starting to tear it up. I like Sony, but he's not Cam. We had a top 10 run game all year.

Also, the OL is very similar to what it was last year. Very good most games, at times got dominated (Titans this year comes to mind).

PFF has them similarly rated. Time to throw is comparable. Stafford is better at navigating the pocket and buying time though.