Space Exploration - James Webb Telescope / Mars Rovers, etc

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Q729

Legend
This is a nice status page;

Nice status page. Helps you visualize the steps and answers everything you'd wonder about the JWST. Just amazing how they discover things like all the Lagrange points. Like who the hell would ever think that was a thing...

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
This thread may just cost me some cash. I was up in the garage gathering parts for my Dobsonian.
My mirror has gotten quite dusty. I may have to get my 18 year old to help build it back up as a project for the 2 of us. teach him to grind mirrors. could be fun$$.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Checked the website. Freaking insane the temper variation from each side. 9 days in.

rdw

Pro Bowler
Glad I'm not the only space nerd on this site...

Personally, I'm very geeked up about what this new telescope will discover. What a time to be alive!

Q729

Legend
What's fucked up is that's basically what happened with Hubble, only worse, with them not testing the mirror and finding out it was ground wrong once it was in orbit. :laugh4:
So they had to go up in a shuttle to put some glasses on it, basically. lol. But it's been humming ever since!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Mirror deployment starts today…

Port Primary Mirror Wing Begins​

This step begins the Primary Mirror deployment phase.

Nominal Event Time: Launch + 13 days (Friday 1/7/22)

The deployments team begins planning and operations for the deployment of the left/port (+V2) primary mirror wing from its stowed/launch position into its operational position. This operation deploys and latches the +V2 wing of the primary mirror. Each wing holds three of the 18 mirror segments. This is a motor-driven deployment.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I may be a stick in the mud, but I'm not finding myself that jazzed up about this. What's it supposed to do that isn't "more space pictures, but now marginally closer"?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I may be a stick in the mud, but I'm not finding myself that jazzed up about this. What's it supposed to do that isn't "more space pictures, but now marginally closer"?

From what I understand, and I am learning, infrared (the technology of this telescope) can see past the “cloud layers” Hubble couldn’t.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Stick in the mud.

Q729

Legend

The infrared can detect the composition of distant planets, like what atmosphere it has or if there's water, thus giving us valuable insight on whether or not they support life. It's not necessarily the pretty pictures, but it can do some of that too.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
The infrared can detect the composition of distant planets, like what atmosphere it has or if there's water, thus giving us valuable insight on whether or not they support life. It's not necessarily the pretty pictures, but it can do some of that too.
It really irritates me to not be an expert in specific fields sometimes. I was watching a documentary about space once and this guy was talking about the first potentially habitable exoplanet ever found. I forget the exact verbiage, but the guy said it had a mass density in between granite and water and therefore the only possible conclusion was that the planet has both. That sounds slightly reductive, but I swear he said it just like that. "The whatever-density of granite is X. The whatever density of water is .5X. The whatever-density of this planet was .75X. The only thing that could mean is that this planet has both!" Those aren't the actual numbers, but it was the last sentence that got me. I mean, there has to be like 20 other reasonable explanations right? That can't be the only possible one. I'm not saying he's wrong about the planet, just that he chose terrible words.

Anyway, the point is that's cool. Hopefully they can do all the cool stuff with it they plan on.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It sees further back in time first off. And the light from that early in the universe's history is redshifted into infrared which is the window this telescope sees in. This means we're about to see some serious shit in the first couple years of it operating.

1641668992698.png

Also it will advance our ability to see spectral signatures in nearby planets as well as finding them by measuring wobble in stars. It's exciting stuff man.

This article is probably the best of the 3 that I linked at the start. It summarizes things well:

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
It sees further back in time first off. And the light from that early in the universe's history is redshifted into infrared which is the window this telescope sees in. This means we're about to see some serious shit in the first couple years of it operating.

View attachment 51056

Also it will advance our ability to see spectral signatures in nearby planets as well as finding them by measuring wobble in stars. It's exciting stuff man.

This article is probably the best of the 3 that I linked at the start. It summarizes things well:

I read that whole article just now. I once again walk away incredibly irritated that I can't understand how they can be so confident about some of these observations they're going to make.

I know, undoubtedly, that I'm standing on top of Mt Stupid on the Dunning-Kreuger graph but I just can't get my head around being able to realistically do what they're doing. In the Army I worked with satellite terminals shooting to satellites in geo synchronous orbit. A half degree off would put me off satellite for something much closer than what they're shooting at. A couple of tenths would make the signal go from good to shit. It boggles my mind that they believe their readings with the level of certainty they do. I know I'm wrong, but I can't get my head past it.