Space Exploration - James Webb Telescope / Mars Rovers, etc

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
BTW- unfurl is such a weird world.
Nothing ever "furls". It only un-furls.
There can be no furling, once an ufurl has taken place...or the universe would furl in on itself.

*shiver*

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah thinking about the universe is kind of scary. Like the reality of it always being there, when the reality of that hits me it creeps me out. And if there is one there are probably others and what do they look like? I picture a boiling sea of them and what would be outside of that?

One of those things that the more you picture and think about it the scarier it gets. Like when my kid asked me if the galaxy was swirling down a drain when looking at images in a book. I was like "No, that's... Well let's go with another picture book." :laugh4:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I can't wait to see what comes from this. Apparently, it has taken twice as long as expected and went from $500,000,000 to over a billion. Glad they are going to get it done.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can't wait to see what comes from this. Apparently, it has taken twice as long as expected and went from $500,000,000 to over a billion. Glad they are going to get it done.
In the video Merlin posted, 10 billion dollars was mentioned.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The science and space discussions on ROD are just awesome. Thanks for posting.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Super cool, I still have a home built light bucket and a couple other telescopes. I haven't even dusted them off in years. Thanks for sharing, very interesting stuff

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
In the video Merlin posted, 10 billion dollars was mentioned.

It is crazy!

So much could go wrong. So much could STILL go wrong.

I watched this one last night, covers the engineering involved. Incredible what they are able to calculate and predict.

The engineering that has gone into the unfolding of the shield alone… it all goes to waste if they can’t do that right.

Then… the potential impact of space debris. So many things need to come into place for this to work.

View: https://youtu.be/aICaAEXDJQQ

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
What's crazy is the fact it's supposed to be 100X more powerful than the Hubble, which has gotten some insane photos like the deep Hubble field pic of all those galaxies. Couple that with the fact it's WAY out in space, and yeah, there are going to be some INSANE photos. I also can't wait.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Pictures are already coming in.

alex-tuis-nu-artistique-vi.jpg

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That video (@CGI_Ram ) is so informative. The Heat Shield alone is insane, coupled with the design of the mirror.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That video (@CGI_Ram ) is so informative. The Heat Shield alone is insane, coupled with the design of the mirror.
“Hmmm…For what would highly polished mirror and tracking system be used? “ asked, Neil Laslo
”Shhh. Let me try this 5 gigawatt laser! “ ~ @Merlin the Real Genius

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
My geek card needs to be revoked. I can't believe I missed the launch! Been following Webbs progress, and delays, for years. 6 months will be a loooooong wait till we receive the first data.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is a nice status page;

Sounds like they are deploying shields currently;

Sunshield Layer Tensioning​

Nominal Event Time: Launch + 7 days
This operation is a multi-step two-day activity which completes the final membrane releases, as well as tensioning the five layers of the sunshield.

After initial sunshield deployments of the forward and aft UPS (which carry the fully folded sunshield), followed by the port and starboard mid-booms (which support and initially unfold all 5 layers of the sunshield together), each layer is successively tensioned.