Space Exploration - James Webb Telescope / Mars Rovers, etc

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Didn't know where else to place this solar system related news tidbit, but on Feb. 22, 2022, Pluto will have made a complete revolution around the sun, which started on July 4th, 1776.

6GAH09n.gif

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Didn't know where else to place this solar system related news tidbit, but on Feb. 22, 2022, Pluto will have made a complete revolution around the sun, which started on July 4th, 1776.

6GAH09n.gif

The continental United States will literally be facing Pluto when the two planets are in conjunction on Feb. 22, just as it was on July 4, 1776.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This thing is still flying. 20 flights now. Last one Feb-25-2022.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Into a Final Cooling phase. This thing needs to be COLD to operate!

Final Cooling - MIRI
Precedes Mirror Alignment Step 7

This page tracks Webb on its journey from Earth to entry into its L2 halo orbit as well as showing Webb's most recently completed deployment step.

Nominal Event Time: Starts - Launch + ~3.5 Months
Webb’s MIRI is in the final phase of its cooldown which is a precondition to mirror alignment step 7.

The Mid-Infrared Instrument (MIRI) carries detectors that need to be at a temperature of less than 7 kelvin to operate properly. This temperature is not possible on Webb by passive means alone, so Webb carries an innovative cryocooler that is dedicated to cooling MIRI's detectors.

This cryocooler uses helium gas to carry heat from MIRI’s optics and detectors out to the warm side of the sunshield. To manage the cooldown process, MIRI also has heaters onboard, to protect its sensitive components from the risk of ice forming. The Webb team has begun progressively adjusting both the cryocooler and these heaters, to ensure a slow, controlled, stable cooldown for the instrument. Soon, the team will turn off MIRI’s heaters entirely, to bring the instrument down to its operating temperature of less than 7 kelvins (-447 degrees Fahrenheit, or -266 degrees Celsius).

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Into a Final Cooling phase. This thing needs to be COLD to operate!

Final Cooling - MIRI
Precedes Mirror Alignment Step 7

This page tracks Webb on its journey from Earth to entry into its L2 halo orbit as well as showing Webb's most recently completed deployment step.

Nominal Event Time: Starts - Launch + ~3.5 Months
Webb’s MIRI is in the final phase of its cooldown which is a precondition to mirror alignment step 7.

The Mid-Infrared Instrument (MIRI) carries detectors that need to be at a temperature of less than 7 kelvin to operate properly. This temperature is not possible on Webb by passive means alone, so Webb carries an innovative cryocooler that is dedicated to cooling MIRI's detectors.

This cryocooler uses helium gas to carry heat from MIRI’s optics and detectors out to the warm side of the sunshield. To manage the cooldown process, MIRI also has heaters onboard, to protect its sensitive components from the risk of ice forming. The Webb team has begun progressively adjusting both the cryocooler and these heaters, to ensure a slow, controlled, stable cooldown for the instrument. Soon, the team will turn off MIRI’s heaters entirely, to bring the instrument down to its operating temperature of less than 7 kelvins (-447 degrees Fahrenheit, or -266 degrees Celsius).
Is that a naturally powered process, run by solar panels on the thing, or is there a battery that's going to run out and the cooler is going to die some day?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Is that a naturally powered process, run by solar panels on the thing, or is there a battery that's going to run out and the cooler is going to die some day?

It is solar powered, and expected to last minimum 5 years, with expectations of 10 plus.

Here is from their website;

The Webb telescope is powered by an on-board solar array. It also has a propulsion system to maintain the observatory’s orbit and attitude. The solar array provides 2,000 watts of electrical power for the life of the mission, and there is enough propellant onboard for at least 10 years of science operations.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Holy crap we spent an that money for 10 years of observation? I'm sure it's not just going to die at 10 years, but it's going to slowly drift off into space and get less useful? Being honest here, this seems like a huge waste.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I may have missed it, but when is this bad boy expected to launch?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I may have missed it, but when is this bad boy expected to launch?
Here's the status page CGI linked early in the thread: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/whereIsWebb.html

It's almost picture time! :party2:

Oh and btw if you click on "Webb in 3d solar system" you'll get a rendered solar system with the Webb centered. From there click on "solar system" at the bottom of the page and you'll see a current rendering of our system of the NASA and planetary objects.

Last edited:

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Here's the status page CGI linked early in the thread: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/whereIsWebb.html

Oh and btw if you click on "Webb in 3d solar system" you'll get a rendered solar system with the Webb centered. From there click on "solar system" at the bottom of the page and you'll see a current rendering of our system of the NASA and planetary objects.
Thanks for the info!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Its a damn good website they have for Webb, isn’t it?

That 3D thing was cool, thanks for pointing that out @Merlin (y)

Fine tuning then pics soon, hopefully.

The multiplayer shield sure looks flimsy. I thought that when they were describing it pre launch. It is designed to absorb a ding or two by smaller items in space if that happens.

IE Rams

Pro Bowler
So glad I found this thread. A regular collection of space dorks here.

True story: I started an astronomy club in HS. Put up flyers, told all my friends (both of them), everything. No one joined. The best part was, yeah, I loved astronomy, but the real reason I started the club?

To meet girls.

Yeah. I got a shitload of action back then.

Q729

Legend

It's pretty cool seeing where the planetary probes are these days on that 3D thing. I used to read up on the Pioneer and Voyager probe missions back in the day. Too bad the JWT couldn't take pics of them. You know, before the Klingons use them for target practice or some shit.

Q729

Legend
The multiplayer shield sure looks flimsy. I thought that when they were describing it pre launch. It is designed to absorb a ding or two by smaller items in space if that happens.
Nice! Gonna need to beef that thing up if it's gonna survive some battle royale.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
They are saying Step 7 is complete. I don’t see a next step on their timeline.

Pics, soon?

Iterate Alignment For Final Correction​

Step 7- COMPLETE!

Nominal Event Time: Starts - Launch + ~4 Months

After applying the Field of View correction (step 6), the key thing left to address is the removal of any small, residual positioning errors in the primary mirror segments. We measure and make corrections using the Fine Phasing process (step 5). We will do a final check of the image quality across each of the science instruments; once this is verified, the wavefront sensing and controls process will be complete.

As we go through the seven steps of mirror alignment, we may find that we need to iterate earlier steps as well. The process is flexible and modular to allow for iteration. After roughly three months of aligning the telescope, we will be ready to proceed to commissioning the instruments.

TEST IMAGE: The adjacent image is a test of the fully aligned mirrors. High resolution version. About the Image (see article caption).

mirrorAlignmentCompleteFullFieldImage-4000px.jpg