Skip Bayless on Kyler Murray

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

I don't understand why sports media gets so excited about a qb that runs. What's so exciting about it?

Cause running QB’s are incredible
Just ask Fran

17B9E546-2651-4A70-BC69-BD75841A117A.jpeg

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
USA Today joining the bandwagon, this division is going to be brutal and for me they just have too many question marks and only a handful of proven commodities.

Cardinals on paper appear better, much better, then some of the other teams on the list, where I believe Head Coaches like Doug Marone & Anthony Lynn with the Chargers, although I like Lynn quite a bit, but I could see a chance there with new QB Justin Herbert.

Detroit Lion Head Coach Matt Patricia is proving the proverb right "Never trust a man with two first names." Anyway, he's a rocket scientist and he has not figured out a way to get the Lions back to respectablity and if they don't have a winning record in 2020, I believe he & Bob Quinn could be shown the door. I do believe the Lions had a very good draft, so IMO, they trend upward, the questions looms, will Patricia be able to win enough games this year to see it through?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
USA Today joining the bandwagon, this division is going to be brutal and for me they just have too many question marks and only a handful of proven commodities.

Only 8 teams have a chance at going worst to first.
If you ranked the 8 teams I think its fair to say the Cardinals are the best of the bunch.
ean somebody has to be, just an awful list

bluecoconuts

Legend

I don't understand why sports media gets so excited about a qb that runs. What's so exciting about it?

Same reason why they get all over the dick of someone who had 5 turnovers just because they also had 6 TDs, even if the same game has a QB who had 5 TD's and only 2 turnovers.

They're like small children who haven't quite nailed down critical thinking, logical spatial awareness, etc. Jingle some keys in front of them and they'll giggle and clap along happy as can be. Running QB's are just extra shiny keys.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Rapp figured out how to read Murray like a damn children's book, if Murray can't complicate whatever Taylor saw, NFL defenses are going to be quick to adapt.
Yeah... I have a sneaking suspicion Murray is going to get baited a lot this season. My guess is that he throws as many INTs as TDs. Just my hunch from watching him last year.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Murray is a tiny little person. He's gonna get killed playing QB at this level.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Rams are the team that erases him either. We have a long history of physically destroying AZ QBs.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Call me crazy, but I could see the Dolphins doing it. Shitty division. HC who overachieved with a baaaad team last year. And a bit of a talent influx this off-season. I'm not saying Miami will be good, but who else in that division is? Patriots and Jets have some major issues on paper. Buffalo is a team reliant on their defense with an iffy QB (which creates volatility from year to year).

I look at Arizona and think they have too many good teams in this division with them. And it's not just good teams, it's also good coaches. Let's look at their projected starters:
QB: Murray
HB: Drake
WR: Hopkins
WR: Fitz
WR: Kirk
TE: M. Williams
LT: Humphries
LG: Pugh
C: Cole
RG: Sweezy
RT: Gilbert

DE: Z. Allen
NT: J. Phillips
DE: Peters
EDGE: C. Jones
OLB: D. Campbell
MLB: J. Hicks
OLB: I. Simmons
CB: Peterson
CB: B. Murphy
CB: Alford
FS: Baker
SS: Thompson

I see a defense with a lot of question marks and very little proven talent. Outside of Peterson and Jones, who else has proven themselves to be quality starters? Budda Baker? An injury prone Jordan Hicks? They're basically counting on a bunch of young guys to make a leap that may or may not happen. Offensively, they have a talented WR group and a QB who is gifted, but the OL hasn't improved much (if at all) and their HBs/TEs are nothing to write home about.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And while Faulk was good at it, he wasnt the same RB out of the backfield with the Colts as he was with the Rams. Whats your point again? That Michael Vick and RGIII revolutionized the game?

The game definately seems to be changing. You see a lot more pre snap movement, RPO's, tricky screens, and Andy Reid pulled something from the 1940's on a 4th down in the Super Bowl. There is a razzle dazzle and speed movement in the NFL right now. Mahomes definately fuels that fire with off platform throws and extending plays with his legs. It's really a perfect storm between Reid, Mahomes, and all those playmakers. So I guess you're right in saying it's not solely due to Mahomes. But

Mahomes definitely changing the way coaches value QB's. I'd say when looking at college QB's, one's ability to extend plays holds more weight now than ever. That you can credit to Mahomes because he lives off of backyard football.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The game definately seems to be changing. You see a lot more pre snap movement, RPO's, tricky screens, and Andy Reid pulled something from the 1940's on a 4th down in the Super Bowl. There is a razzle dazzle and speed movement in the NFL right now. Mahomes definately fuels that fire with off platform throws and extending plays with his legs. It's really a perfect storm between Reid, Mahomes, and all those playmakers. So I guess you're right in saying it's not solely due to Mahomes. But

Mahomes definitely changing the way coaches value QB's. I'd say when looking at college QB's, one's ability to extend plays holds more weight now than ever. That you can credit to Mahomes because he lives off of backyard football.
I honestly have no idea what you are saying.
Mahomes is great, we all know that. And all teams want to get the next great QB, that isnt new. 15 gets away with some things because of how strong his arm is, but that isnt revolutionary, thats what makes him special. Razzle dazzle speed isnt new, the Rams showed that you can win the whole enchilada with speed even before they changed the rules. NFL has been going to more spread type play for years.
The idea that teams are going to have their QB "play like Mahomes" by attempting plays that only he can make is just silly. Favre won a SB being a gunslinger, Rodgers with incredible arm talent and Wilson with mad scrambling skills.
Nothing new

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don't see it. NFL teams have gotten better at integrating QB mobility into game plans (that was one of the biggest issues Vick had back in the day). But extending plays isn't inherently more valuable now than it was previously. If anything, it has gotten easier to be a pocket passer. QBs and WRs are protected. Offenses now focus more on getting the ball out quickly with high percentage passes.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
I don't see it. NFL teams have gotten better at integrating QB mobility into game plans (that was one of the biggest issues Vick had back in the day). But extending plays isn't inherently more valuable now than it was previously. If anything, it has gotten easier to be a pocket passer. QBs and WRs are protected. Offenses now focus more on getting the ball out quickly with high percentage passes.

I disagree completely. Three of the best offenses in the NFL are KC, HOU, and BAL. All those QB's routinely make plays with their legs outside the pocket. Offenses that feature pocket passers are either run oriented, bland, or get figured out.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The Cardinals are a paper tiger. That defense still isn't good
This is really the crux of it. They could make some giant leaps on offense but they have quite a ways to go defensively to compete with the likes of the Rams, Niners , and Seahawks consistently. They got torched thru the air and couldn't stop the run either.

Cards fans and the media should be excited because the arrow is likely pointed up but should also probably calm down when it comes to MVP's and division titles.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Murray is a tiny little person. He's gonna get killed playing QB at this level.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Rams are the team that erases him either. We have a long history of physically destroying AZ QBs.
giphy.gif

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree completely. Three of the best offenses in the NFL are KC, HOU, and BAL. All those QB's routinely make plays with their legs outside the pocket. Offenses that feature pocket passers are either run oriented, bland, or get figured out.

Top 5 offenses in terms of points scored over the past three years:
1. Baltimore (mobile QB)
2. San Francisco (pocket passer)
3. Tampa Bay (pocket passer)
4. New Orleans (pocket passer)
5. Kansas City (mobile QB)

1. Kansas City (mobile QB)
2. LA Rams (pocket passer)
3. New Orleans (pocket passer)
4. New England (pocket passer)
5. Indianapolis (debatable)

1. LA Rams (pocket passer)
2. New England (pocket passer)
3. Philly (mobile QB)
5. Jacksonville (mobile QB)

What were Houston's rankings in points scored over the past three years? 14th, 11th, and 17th. Our offense scored more points than theirs every year under McVay and Goff. To put it bluntly, what you're saying is totally wrong.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Top 5 offenses in terms of points scored over the past three years:
1. Baltimore (mobile QB)
2. San Francisco (pocket passer)
3. Tampa Bay (pocket passer)
5. Kansas City (mobile QB)

1. Kansas City (mobile QB)
2. LA Rams (pocket passer)
3. New Orleans (pocket passer)
4. New England (pocket passer)
5. Indianapolis (debatable)

1. LA Rams (pocket passer)
2. New England (pocket passer)
3. Philly (mobile QB)
5. Jacksonville (mobile QB)

What were Houston's rankings in points scored over the past three years? 14th, 11th, and 17th. Our offense scored more points than theirs every year under McVay and Goff. To put it bluntly, what you're saying is totally wrong.

Nope, I'm right.

Rams got figured out
Niners are primarily a running team, great D
BAL is a running team, (but they run their mobile QB all the time so they're kinda their own thing)
NE is balanced attack, great D.
Breese is pretty mobile actually
Jax, running team

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Call me crazy, but I could see the Dolphins doing it. Shitty division. HC who overachieved with a baaaad team last year. And a bit of a talent influx this off-season. I'm not saying Miami will be good, but who else in that division is? Patriots and Jets have some major issues on paper. Buffalo is a team reliant on their defense with an iffy QB (which creates volatility from year to year).

I look at Arizona and think they have too many good teams in this division with them. And it's not just good teams, it's also good coaches. Let's look at their projected starters:
QB: Murray
HB: Drake
WR: Hopkins
WR: Fitz
WR: Kirk
TE: M. Williams
LT: Humphries
LG: Pugh
C: Cole
RG: Sweezy
RT: Gilbert

DE: Z. Allen
NT: J. Phillips
DE: Peters
EDGE: C. Jones
OLB: D. Campbell
MLB: J. Hicks
OLB: I. Simmons
CB: Peterson
CB: B. Murphy
CB: Alford
FS: Baker
SS: Thompson

I see a defense with a lot of question marks and very little proven talent. Outside of Peterson and Jones, who else has proven themselves to be quality starters? Budda Baker? An injury prone Jordan Hicks? They're basically counting on a bunch of young guys to make a leap that may or may not happen. Offensively, they have a talented WR group and a QB who is gifted, but the OL hasn't improved much (if at all) and their HBs/TEs are nothing to write home about.
Miami is a good option being in a relatively weak division, not sure what to expect from Buffalo and Allen. The thing with Miami is they’re going to be very young which might not be bad but they have questions on Oline and skill positions. Howard is their best DB and Jones is nice but not sure about the rest of the secondary.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
the texans and ravens have been easily figured out in the playoffs.

Texans hung 31 on KC. That's not chump change.
BAL is it's own thing. Their mobile QB is a heck of a runner. He's gotta learn to win from the pocket. I'll give you that.